Ironton after Brown Shoe

Posted in the Ironton Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Rick

United States

#1 Sep 20, 2008
Many folks in Ironton were effected by the closing of the Brown Shoe factory,(me included). As for me, I have fond memories of the factory, the town and mostly the friends and co-workers I met at the factory and at some of the local "watering holes". I have often looked for articles regarding Ironton and until now wasn't very sucessful. Some of you who know me would remember the "good times" provided by the many jobs at the factory. And who could forget the night life when Ironton was thriving. My questions now are ...How are you, and what's going on regarding work without Brown Shoe? My E-mail address is [email protected] I hope to hear from some of you even if you thought I was a "Flake". Flake or not....Rick Pittsburgh Pa.
Jungle

Barre, VT

#2 Jan 6, 2009
I worked there when it was TMB. It is really sad to see such a beautiful little town whither and die and turn into such a sh*thole. No one wants to put their buisninesses there because of the corruption. The mines closed... then the shoe plant... what next? The money pot dried up then all the local buisinesses followed in suit. Anyone who hoped to be able to provide for their families packed up and left. Don't want to sound so negative but I have very fond memories of Arcadia Valley and everytime I go back it breaks my heart to see what become of it. Our forefathers would have a cow if they could see what has become of their once beautiful little town.
APJO

United States

#3 Jan 24, 2009
Some people still enjoy living in Ironton. I have roots and family here. I will never leave. This is home.
Rick Pittsburgh Pa

United States

#4 Jan 29, 2009
Not having lived there for several years, I cannot speak to the comments of "Jungle",however it still hasn't changed my mind about the area. I know that the area abounds with recreation for all ages. Fishing, hunting, and boating are all in abundance for those so inclined. Dining remains plentiful, with the Fort Davidson , Grants Inn, and the Cozy corner for a great breakfast. The addition of a few fast food places has only helped in places to eat. The laid-back atmosphere beckons anyone wanting to escape the big city. I had planned on retiring there and I may get there yet. Still looks good to me.
lindalouhenson

United States

#5 Feb 17, 2009
i worked there at one time.alot of names i dont
remember.i worked next to the mold machine.right there as you walk in the front door.sorted heels.trimmed.pulled shanks out.do you remember me?
Rick

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Feb 17, 2009
lindalouhenson wrote:
i worked there at one time.alot of names i dont
remember.i worked next to the mold machine.right there as you walk in the front door.sorted heels.trimmed.pulled shanks out.do you remember me?

So many names,but let's play the "Do you remember"game! I don't remember you individually,but I'm sure we have met. I worked for Mobay who supplied the urethane dept. Here are some "Blasts from the past" that we both knew. In the front office there were Norman, Don B.,Dan B.who were managers...a multitude of foreman and assistants who I can't remember all of them,(a big place). Dusty is one who comes to mind. From St. Louis came the "big boys" Ed M.,and his minions. And the technical guys Ron L., and Charlie T.,whom I worked with. In the urethane dept. were Pat B. and Julie as the secretaries. Some of the foreman,and technicians ....Woody, Burlin, Darrel, Ken,and many others. What a "fun" place to work. Remember how everyone would panic when "Ed" was comming to town.....clean up,and make the place presentable for " "The Boss". I really enjoyed working there! Then after work going to the Grants Inn for cocktails and dinner while rehashing the game plan for tomorrow. Fond memories......the good old days. Does that jog your memory? I missed a lot of people and I bet you can jog my memory! Who else remembers?
Rick

Pittsburgh, PA

#7 Feb 22, 2009
Where has everyone gone??? Surely there are more than we few who have memories of the Brown Shoe factory! Has it been that long? I know many have moved away, but I'm sure many have stayed. This is a great opportunity to renew friendships and catch up on old friends. I know I'd like to hear from you!! Who knows we may start something.
donna criteser

Columbia, MO

#8 Feb 24, 2009
I worked there in in early 1980's
Rick

Pittsburgh, PA

#9 Feb 26, 2009
donna criteser wrote:
I worked there in in early 1980's
Which department did you work in? Who was your foreman? How did you like working there? I thought it was a great place to work and "most" people were friendly and helpful.
I remeber you

Brookfield, CT

#10 Feb 26, 2009
I worked at brown shoe in or about 1978-79 it was a great place to work at the time. I rember Dusty, Larry,Ed& Ron, I also rember going to Grants Inn every time Mobay was in town I wondered for years what ever happend to the old gang.
Rick

Pittsburgh, PA

#11 Feb 27, 2009
I remeber you wrote:
I worked at brown shoe in or about 1978-79 it was a great place to work at the time. I rember Dusty, Larry,Ed& Ron, I also rember going to Grants Inn every time Mobay was in town I wondered for years what ever happend to the old gang.
Well, it seems you hit the nail on the head,"old gang" says it all. Where the hell is Sunrise Beach? And we did make it an occasion when we came to town! Our "boss man" Jim, was the greatest boss one could ever have. I remember all the good times we had at Grant's Inn. The waitresses always made a few extra bucks when we were in town. It was like a party when Mobay came to town. And yet, the work still was done even though I don't know how I made it some days. Carol,Alice and Marie (Grant's Inn) took good care of us as well. Ah yes....the good old days.
Eddie

Park Hills, MO

#12 Feb 28, 2009
I worked there from 77-84 and it was a fun place to work. I still live in Ironton and even own a shop there. I worked back in urethane(spl) and mostly was on one of the molding machines with anyone of Woody, Marty, Terry M. or Berlin K..Guess everyone remembered when Ed Mizer would come down and they would make us all put white lab coats on, and a hat. Some would remember me because of my old gray primered 67 Camaro, and me leaving about every day smoking the tires!LOL I even met my wife there, although I never really talked to her until she had left there. Does anyone remember ole Gus back in the cage,lol
Eddie

Park Hills, MO

#13 Feb 28, 2009
Not sure how to change it, but my net server says I'm from a place I don't live, it should say Arcadia Valley!
Rick

Pittsburgh, PA

#14 Mar 1, 2009
Eddie wrote:
Not sure how to change it, but my net server says I'm from a place I don't live, it should say Arcadia Valley!
I remember you.......I'm sure that we worked together at one time or another. Either new materials, or new molds or something in the urethane dept. And who could forget "Gus" the lady killer. That's why they kept him in the cage. Just kidding, Gus was a good guy but with plenty of BS to go along. I think he had something to do with the molds we used. I can remember you and I and one of Charlie T's technicians trying new "things" on the machines and maybe after work we would have a nice cold beer. That's funny about the lab coats and hats.........what a show. I guess you run into some of the guys and gals since you still live in the area........I'd like to hear from them. I don't think a lot of people know about this site.......pass the word and "thanks" for the memories!!!!
Rick

United States

#15 Mar 10, 2009
Memo to Eddie..........I understand Gus is alive and well and living in the area. I wonder if we could get him on this site?
Eddie

Park Hills, MO

#16 Mar 10, 2009
I see Gus sometimes, but he lives way down on E Hi-Way and may not have net. I work on his vehicles some and his family too. I'll try and and see if he can get on here sometimes.
Rick

Vandergrift, PA

#17 Mar 26, 2009
Memo to Ed: No Gus? Still I wonder why more people than us have replied to our banter about Brown. Were there bad feeling regarding how the closing was handled. I missed that...another job. I would have thought that as probably the largest employer in town, more folks would have gotten their two cents in! Oh well........I hope to hear more stories if others hear about this site....maybe not a lot of folks know about it, but then maybe people don't really give a "rats *##". I would have thought differently.
Terry

Wentzville, MO

#18 Apr 13, 2009
does anyone remember Woody's last name?
Rick

United States

#19 Apr 14, 2009
Terry wrote:
does anyone remember Woody's last name?
I believe his last name (strangely enough) was Woods. A very funny guy who always made working with him a pleasure. I wonder if he jumped on his motorcycle and rode off into the sunset!!
residentgirl

Troy, MO

#20 Apr 18, 2009
The Valley is a wonderful place to live, there may not be many jobs but I love raising my children here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ironton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Skittles is a beech 7 hr Dunc 4
Tabitha Gallaher 14 hr Dave 11
Dana hardy nice kitty cat 15 hr pfd 1
Thee Abby Jul 16 Matlock 12
kayleena Jones Jul 14 Tonya 1
Dana Hardy has a smelly cat Jul 13 pfd 7
joey gaynor grugs ??? (Sep '10) Jul 13 pfd 7

Ironton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance