Should taxpayers foot the bill for an...

Should taxpayers foot the bill for an inmate's college education?

There are 27 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester story from Mar 22, 2014, titled Should taxpayers foot the bill for an inmate's college education?. In it, WHEC-TV Rochester reports that:

It has been 20 years since New York State provided a college education for prison inmates, but the governor is pushing a proposal that could make it a reality once again.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ha Ha

Fairport, NY

#22 Mar 27, 2014
Let's face it ... with this new Common Core curriculum that is in our schools, the only job you will be smart enough for is either in the military, law enforcement, prison guard or TSA.

Other wise, you can break a nanny law, spend four quick years in prison/college ... and then you can get the education needed to become military, law enforcement, a prison guard or TSA.

Ain't NY great?!
Taxation without represen

Rochester, NY

#23 Mar 27, 2014
The nearest tree would solve the whole mess ....... Think about this a moment.....if it's done in public I'm sure it would drop crime 90% or more along with our taxation without representation.

Beware of communist liberals posing as Americans
dew4794

Rochester, NY

#24 Mar 27, 2014
Actually cons are highly motivated to make lifestyle changes when released. They don't want to be "a lifer". However, they return to their previous environments that they know best which eventually leads to a return to crime. And even if they should settle down, they remain petty criminals at best. "It is much easier to bend a tree when it is young."
Peter

Rochester, NY

#25 Mar 27, 2014
dew4794 wrote:
And even if they should settle down, they remain petty criminals at best.
I would think the instant gratification some individuals receive from crime, coupled with the ability to earn much larger income than working a traditional job, might be a catalyst to return to what they know best. Let's face it, they're coming out with sharper criminal skills than they went in with.
SuburbanRes

Rush, NY

#26 Mar 27, 2014
Peter wrote:
<quoted text>
I would think the instant gratification some individuals receive from crime, coupled with the ability to earn much larger income than working a traditional job, might be a catalyst to return to what they know best. Let's face it, they're coming out with sharper criminal skills than they went in with.
"Let's face it, they're coming out with sharper criminal skills than they went in with. "

That must be why most end up right back in huh? How many "sharp" criminals from duh Roc are serving 15,20, 25 to life? Must be really honing their skills...
Ha Ha

Fairport, NY

#27 Mar 27, 2014
SuburbanRes wrote:
<quoted text>
"Let's face it, they're coming out with sharper criminal skills than they went in with. "
That must be why most end up right back in huh? How many "sharp" criminals from duh Roc are serving 15,20, 25 to life? Must be really honing their skills...
Yeah, A jailhouse degree in electronic engineering would help them bypass security alarms in future crimes!
dew4794

Rochester, NY

#28 Mar 27, 2014
Actually the planning and carrying out of crimes are also as much or more exciting than any payoffs they might have taken. I've seen a con go from breaking in parking meters to armed robbery in just six months. The payoff is just a reward for "a crime gotten away with". College degrees will mean educated criminals, and they will not lose that one thing: their social pathology.
Peter wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Irondequoit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rachel Barnhart Announces Run for Mayor 2 min IescapedNY 7
Wedge. Take Your Own Advise, Go To Church Today... 12 hr Moshe 30
News Four victims identified in Utica apartment buil... (Sep '09) 14 hr Vinnie 17
What The Heck Happened To The Bills Yesterday? 20 hr IescapedNY 1
Why Do People Bother With NYs Medical Marijuana... 21 hr IescapedNY 3
Welcome Back PigPen. You Sure Spanked South Wed... 21 hr Moshe 34
OMG! Friday's High Is Only Going To Be 61 degrees. 23 hr IescapedNY 1

Irondequoit Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Irondequoit Mortgages