Does Irondequoit Need a Police Depart...

Does Irondequoit Need a Police Department?

There are 7 comments on the 13WHAM story from Jan 28, 2010, titled Does Irondequoit Need a Police Department?. In it, 13WHAM reports that:

In Irondequoit, one police department, two school districts, and five fire districts serve just under 52,000 residents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 13WHAM.

Savage

Rochester, NY

#1 Jan 28, 2010
Does Irondequoit need a Police Department? I would have to say yes when you consider how much crime is reported of late here in our Town. I doubt the Sheriffs dept. could handle our problems/crime as they are now. We most likely would suffer a tax increase equal to what our Police Dept costs now to staff Deputies.
As much as I favor our own Police, I would much prefer they spent more time in the "known" crime areas and less time on road traffic.
Neighborhood Watch

Rochester, NY

#2 Feb 2, 2010
We need more cops along the border undercover stopping these punks from the city breaking into cars and homes at night.
Would help if more took a stance like that Rod Scott guy in Greece. Watch out for your neighbors, your home doesn't end at your property line, your block is your domain.
Not a Fan

Rochester, NY

#3 Aug 18, 2010
I would say NO seeing that they do nothing to help taxpayers anyways.
Not A Fan

Rochester, NY

#4 Aug 18, 2010
As an Irondequoit taxpayer, I am extremely disappointed in the lack of assistance I received from the Irondequoit Police Department, specifically (Officer Cartegena x244). In recent months, I had several personal belongings (including a portfolio which holds a lot of my credit related items) stolen from my vehicle at the Titus Avenue Wegmans. The person(s) that committed this crime yanked my window down and left finger prints on my car door. I immediately went down to the Irondequoit Police Dept where an officer took my statement and lifted the prints off my vehicle. He explained that several people in neighborhood also had similar experiences as mine. The Officer explained that he would be in touch with me in regards to the prints yet I never received a phone call.
As time passed I began to realize more and more items that were taken from me including a gift card that I received from my husband to a local store on Park Avenue. I immediately called the store and asked if it was at all possible to re-issue a new card. The manager said they would look into it and call me back which they did. The manager explained that the card had already been redeemed- yet they had the person on camera and they also had the personís credit card information. The manager could not give me any details but instructed me to have the Irondequoit police contact them asap.
The officer that they sent to my home was Officer Cartegena. He said he would follow up and be in contact with me. I heard from the store manager very soon after that the issue had been resolved and the person(s) that used my card had paid restitution and I could come and pick up my re-issued card. Over a month and a half went by and I heard NOTHING from Officer Cartegena . I left several messages with him to return my call; I even left a message with his lieutenant to call me and continued to receive (no response).
After making daily attempts on numerous occasions, I finally received a message on my voice mail from Officer Cartegena explaining that a woman by the name of Linda MKenna/Makenna was the person who used my gift card and she supposedly received it from another individual as a gift for Motherís Day and shared the individuals name. Cartejena explained that he attempted to reach the individual and he refused to come in-therefore there was nothing else he could do for me.
I left an umpteenth message on his voicemail explaining that of course the individual did not want to come in, he is most likely GUILTY. I feel as if I handed these officers everything they needed to convict this person. I gave them a fingerprint; I gave them a lead as to how to find the individual and nothing was done for me!!!!
I am ashamed to admit that I donít belong to a community that has officers that serve and protect, instead I experienced officers who ignore and excuse. I canít help but wonder if it was one of his family members whose personal items were stolen if he would have made a greater attempt to make an arrest.
Please share if you have had similar experiences with the Irondequoit Police Department.
mopar nut

Rochester, NY

#5 Aug 22, 2010
sorry to hear that "not a fan" but Officer Cartegena was correct when he could MAKE the person come down to the police department. Just because you BELIEVE that person was the guilty party doesn't make it a fact and without solid evidence the district attorneys office would not be able to prosecute the case. Playing devils advocate here, you have fingerprints on your window, does that mean that this person is the one who stole your items, no ! can you prove they stole your items, no ! Can you ask the person who received your card as a gift who gave it to them, yes ! do they have to talk to you, no they do not. Does the person who gave them the card have to come to the police department because an officer asked them to ? no ! they are innocent until PROVEN guilty. It's not a perfect society and believe me, our criminal justice system needs to be revamped, but don't take that out on the police department or officer that is following NYS law, blame your legislators who make the law. They are so far out of touch with reality it isn't funny.

Think about this, your mad at an officer who didn't return your calls promptly, ok I'll give you that one. But abolish the town police department and see how long it takes the Sheriffs dept to contact you back because of budget constraints they can only put on 4 deputies per shift instead of 7-11 officers that Irondequoit puts on per shift now. You would be waiting a very long time and your taxes would more than likely go up just for having the Sheriffs dept there. There is no advantage of having the Sheriffs Dept. take over for IPD, none.
chris

Crittenden, NY

#6 Aug 25, 2010
Absolutely they need a police dept. Especially now more than ever since the city is moving inside the town.
mopar nut

Rochester, NY

#7 Aug 26, 2010
City residents have been in Irondequoit since the bus route was developed and since the Irondequoit Mall was established. Plus it doesn't help when 90% of your southern border butts up to the City Of Rochester. But to be fair there are plenty of Irondequoit residents committing their fair share of crimes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Irondequoit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Homeowner escapes Ridgemont Dr. fire 4 hr Walmart Puncher 2
News Former Teacher Indicted For Enticement Of A Minor 5 hr RacistFireCrotchB... 1
News NY fire department ambushed in 2012 gets $305K ... 5 hr pigpens cousin 1
News Dangerous synthetic drug confirmed to be in Gre... 5 hr pigpens cousin 2
Punishers MC (Oct '12) 6 hr Bone head 102
2 White Thugs Pull The White Mentally Insane Card 6 hr RFCBF 1
News Rochester Most Overlooked Small City 8 hr Baltimore Shootings 1
More from around the web

Irondequoit People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]