Youth Hockey is Poltical Bullshit

Youth Hockey is Poltical Bullshit

Posted in the Irondequoit Forum

Since: Jan 11

Bronx, NY

#1 Mar 15, 2011
YES Bullshit, unfortunately youth hockey now a days is built around who knows who,$$, and the buddy system. These coaches aren't looking for players to create a solid team. They are looking at buddies,$$, and growth within a community.
It's pretty shitty to see what these kids go through when they can physically see less skilled players picked over them and then realize it's a coaches son or the coaches sons best friend.
WTF at some point in the coaches life, LIFE will smack them in the face with a touch of REALITY.
These are our children, not pawns for you guys/gals to grow your image.
Wake the fuck up!!!
Pissed Hockey Player

Missoula, MT

#2 Mar 16, 2011
I know exactly how you feel. Just today I was told that I wasn't selected to advance. This is complete BULLSHIT! The only reason that I can see is that I am not form the right town. These guys continually pick players from only 2 of the cities in the entire state. This is the 3rd time this has happened to me with this same organization. I am obviously more skilled than the ones that were selected to advance. This is the last time that I will ever give this organization anymore of my money for them to be 100% biased and opinionated on the people that they choose.

“Lovin' you is fuuu-uuun...”

Since: Apr 09

drop the puck, Ref...

#3 May 25, 2011
my kid played from NY, to Ontario, to Montana.
politics IS the name of the game.
but, if you're good, you're good.
even the coc*-sucke*s can't hide from the facts.
work hard, skate with your head up and most of all, skate to and from the bench like it's the last shift of your LIFE.
hustle is critical to anyone watching and scouting.
attitude is key. keep your feet moving at all times.
and PARENTS,watch the people that run tournaments, many are just plain theives.
I wanted to write an expose' on the abuses of the youth hockey system and my kid went nuts.
he still plays mens league and refs, so he didn't want me to call out the theives, scammers and pedophiles in the youth sports groups.
good luck kid.
A sad day for hockey

Middleton, WI

#5 Oct 30, 2013
(Sorry for the miss spells doing this from my cell) I have been around for a very long time in youth sports coaching football and hockey. It's sad to hear and to see all that goes on in these great sports when it comes to the political dirt. 90% pay for it 10% run it and have the say. The $, the buddies who you are who you know. I have pretty much always rode the fence on being in the in crowd and not probably because of what I know about the sports. So being in that position I have heard alot of what goes on behind the sence to a certain piont. And what I have heard has been from walking into the conversations.
I have seen a full board of evaluators of coaches and beer drinking adult league buddies. What a Joke! so they have the kids wear pennies like that really makes a difference. Come on they know who , who is. And who they dont know dont matter. And if it happens to be some one new or someone who does stand out they will def try and bring you in to thier click.
I have seen dads with money and thier names come into a rink pissed off slam some doors knock trophies off the shelfs and say they will not give a dime. To have thier peewee age kid play up to a Bantam A level.. well he got his way.
I have been coaching for many years for my 3 older sons all in thier twenties now. And have coached or been an assistant coach on every one of thier teams. That football and hockey and now I started over and have a 8yr and he has been playing both since 3, well the basics at that age but you know what I mean he started young. And I wlso have been involed coaching on those teams as well. And also my steps sons teams. So I have and had a huge coaching advantage over all these coaches that really think they know everything. Man its prob close to 80 teams if not more I have coached as a head or assistant.
Anyway yeah your all right!!!!!! its tainted big time. And they will all be smooth and blow smoke up alot of peoples ass and try to justiy all of it. It suck and most times its deeply rooter into the Associations these people may be on the board and they are friends with the district board who are friends with someone at USA hockey. I knpw and have seen this for a fact. Its so hard to have to sit and be stuck when your child or anyone elses are screwed by the dirt, the few the screw the many. Im sorry, I hwve to let it go I just dont really know if it will ever change or how to try and truely make a difference in getting it changed.
YEP

Sicklerville, NJ

#6 Mar 9, 2014
OsamaKiller wrote:
YES Bullshit, unfortunately youth hockey now a days is built around who knows who,$$, and the buddy system. These coaches aren't looking for players to create a solid team. They are looking at buddies,$$, and growth within a community.
It's pretty shitty to see what these kids go through when they can physically see less skilled players picked over them and then realize it's a coaches son or the coaches sons best friend.
WTF at some point in the coaches life, LIFE will smack them in the face with a touch of REALITY.
These are our children, not pawns for you guys/gals to grow your image.
Wake the fuck up!!!
My son is one of the best 9yo (squirt) skaters around. He is not allowed to tryout for peewee AA because its a 03/02 team.....which is fine except that there are 2 04s already named to the team before tryouts (friends). they wont even let my son skate in the pre-tryout. i guess they dont want half the team outskated by an 04. that would be tuff to explain!
lavender

Montréal, Canada

#7 Aug 28, 2014
i like to see coaches pick the wrong players , im not saying that all tall people cant skate for sh**. but some coaches pick height vs skill . you want a team that has many players with various sets of skills (skating,shooting ,etc..). ive seen many teams end up last place . not only do they end up last place but the kids getting cut off the team , good players , don't bump up to another level were they can develop a lot (and make the teams better). sadly only the same players get chosen again and again , repeats the same story of failure and etc...
another thing i wanna add is popularity , hey your kinda popular then lets put you on the team . your the biggest player , let me give you a C. coaches don't see the real player inside of kids today . we judge the books by its cover and that something we should not do .
coaches today aren't really coaches , when need people to see the real player , coaches to pick the right people even thought they want to pick a friends son. we need coaches with no ties to parent and others . thats why , in the youth leagues , need coaches who don't know anyone. private schools have a good hockey system. i don't want to be cocky but i have a really good skill set , i know im able to do much more but looking at hockey organizations here in canada,Quebec make me realize that is all bull . hockey is an amazing sport , its a sport than needs to be in serious hands , not random adults doing random stuff , choosing all the tall guys or popular guys and etc
nothing is fair in life , sports are full of shit , not the sport but the people and shitty organizations who have terrible hockey systems are full of shit . were i live , almost all the organizations are going down , Why?----> private schools have good hockey systems , way better than the one im in .
if they dont choose you or a friend that you know deserves to be part of the team , well hey its their loss not yours.
not to forget but some players are really starting to take a bunch of drugs to enhance performance , even though it kind of does make your better , your not doing it legitimately .(steroids , growth hormones , a bunch of test booster ,Pseudoephedrines and a BUNCH of other stuff)
i can add so much more but its almost 1 am.
hockey mom

United States

#8 Nov 23, 2014
I agree on most of what lavender said. We need more coaches who have no ties to anyone on the team. My son plays on a tier II travel squirt team and he has some team mates who really have no business being on that level. A little bird has mentioned that they rated very low on the score sheet during tryouts. So they are basically on the team due to being related or knowing the coach. Needless to say they ended up bumping a couple of kids to the tier III team when they should be on the tier II team! My son is really good and it is hard for his dad and I to watch him struggle playing with kids who are not at his level. End result... he lowers his level of play just so they can keep up. We tell him not to because the kids need to keep up with him so they can get better. He basically has to push himself, to make himself better. The coaching this year doesn't help him at all because the coach isn't even trying to make the kids better, just maintaining. That is my rant for now. Just wish we had better hockey where we are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Irondequoit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Punishers MC (Oct '12) 1 hr Banditos of Buffalo 103
News Rochester Most Overlooked Small City 1 hr Moshe Rosenbloom 30
Black Cop Shoots White Man Dead 1 hr RacistFireCrotchB... 6
News Shooting victim being called a hero (Feb '09) 5 hr Daniel norman 36
bribing ngrs with popcorn to go to school 5 hr pudface rhonda 1
rhondas people 6 hr pudface rhonda 1
News Big day for Urban-Suburban program May 20 Faithful 28
More from around the web

Irondequoit People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE