After 35 Years, WHAM's Chet Walker Fired

After 35 Years, WHAM's Chet Walker Fired

There are 40 comments on the Radio Ink story from Jul 1, 2014, titled After 35 Years, WHAM's Chet Walker Fired. In it, Radio Ink reports that:

According to News10NBC , Clear Channel's WHAM-AM in Rochester, New York has fired Walker after 35 years with the station.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Radio Ink.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Liberal Bill

Rochester, NY

#1 Jul 1, 2014
This is just awful for Chet as he was a class act on the local airways for a very-long time.

This just shows however that local conservative talk and news programing simply cant cut it anymore. It is only a matter of time that the idiot Bob L is also shown the door. The big national shows that are cheaper to put on the air is the direction that so many stations are moving toward.

Hopefully somehow Chet can team up with Beth again on her new station. While at times I did not agree with Chet he did a great job for his audience and kept Rochester informed in the early mornings.
Boob Dingleberry

Rochester, NY

#2 Jul 1, 2014
Bob was behind his firing just so he could gain an extra hour for his radio show
RumpRanger

Albion, NY

#3 Jul 1, 2014
Must be Wease got a raise...the money had to come from somewhere!
Darlene

Pittsford, NY

#5 Jul 2, 2014
Jose wrote:
Bob doesn't seem to care about his co-worker, says they didn't agree with each other, never was friends with him out of work, and just calls his firing a bump in the road.
http://www.lonsberry.com/writings.cfm...
Lonsberry doesn't care about anyone except himself. A colleague is fired, he breathes a sigh of relief that he still has a show. I wouldn't want Bob as a friend.

He should be terminated also. We can only hope.
Boob Dingleberry

Rochester, NY

#7 Jul 2, 2014
Bob wrote:
My employer and all my bosses are the greatest and nothing they do is wrong. I'm very lucky to have my job and work for such great people at a great company.
Oddly enough the same exact quotes he used before being fired from the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle, Times-Union, and 2 TV stations.
Wondering

Severn, Canada

#8 Jul 3, 2014
Anyone know why Chet was fired? Screw up Lonsberry styleor corporate downsizing?
Wondering

Severn, Canada

#9 Jul 3, 2014
Lonsberry is the one that should be fired. He is so rude to callers. Bob is so Fing full of himself it makes me sick.
Enraged

Rochester, NY

#10 Jul 3, 2014
I feel like I lost my best friend. Been listening to Chet since the '91 ice storm. WHAM has made a huge mistake. I enjoyed the Cline, Bill Law, Beth, Liz Bonus and they all got fired! If Lonsberry is fired WHAM will be nothing. Lonsberry is not behind this, its the corporate eggheads. What
is WHAM trying to accomplish? People listen to the station because of the radio personalities, not the commercials. I will no longer listen to the morning so-called "show" now that Chet is gone. I will tune in only for Lonesberry at 8:30. How abount another radio station out there hiring Chet and Beth?
Kimburly and Beck returns

Rochester, NY

#11 Jul 4, 2014
Chet will now do the news on the upcoming Kimberly & Beck Show on another radio station - stay tuned
Eve

Victor, NY

#12 Jul 4, 2014
What a shame - first Beth and now Chet. I will no longer listen to WHAM>
Sagemom

Rochester, NY

#13 Jul 5, 2014
Sad to hear that another quality person "let go". Only "the haters" remain.......Good bye WHAM.....no more readon yo tune in.....
Wondering

Guelph, Canada

#14 Jul 7, 2014
So does anyone know why Chet got fired?
June

Rochester, NY

#16 Jul 8, 2014
Chet was an arrogant pompous jerk. Always talking about his cul de sac instead of street, always bragging about his travels. He always came across as better than everyone else. When Bush was president, he and his colleague beth would point out every wrong thing. With this new president, he never said a word - must have agreed with everything this president said. He was also shallow - he would talk about an issue and say "that's a good thing" - then Bob Lonsbery would talk about the same issue later and give more detail and it turned out it wasn;t a good thing. Glad he's gone.
Darlene

Pittsford, NY

#17 Jul 8, 2014
June wrote:
he would talk about an issue and say "that's a good thing" - then Bob Lonsbery would talk about the same issue later and give more detail and it turned out it wasn;t a good thing. Glad he's gone.
WHAM (radio and TV) is becoming increasingly irrelevant to Rochester by the year. I suppose oldsters listen to AM talk shows in the nursing home, and dullards watch elderly Don and the cutesy news on 13.

PBS (WXXI) nightly news covers relevant stories with excellent in depth reporting. The only thing I don't get with it is who was killed in the 'hood. And I don't care.
mateus

Rochester, NY

#18 Jul 8, 2014
Jose wrote:
Bob doesn't seem to care about his co-worker, says they didn't agree with each other, never was friends with him out of work, and just calls his firing a bump in the road.
http://www.lonsberry.com/writings.cfm...
Well, I'm glad (and surprised) that you posted the link, because your "summary" of Lonsberry's essay is off base. In fact, his column reads more like a tribute.

As far as Walker is concerned, it's time he left. IMO, he added nothing to the show, and his main purpose was to inform listeners that he'd gotten yet another techno-toy to add to his collection. And Beth Adams? She's at WXXI doing nothing more than introducing NPR reports. A chatfest, it's not.
Commenter

Kinston, NC

#20 Jul 8, 2014
I doubt it . His ratings make big $$$$.

Unlike you RhonDUH ?!
Porky

Newark, NY

#21 Jul 10, 2014
WHAM has turned into the crappiest station in Rochester... that idiot Sherri Smith has been "reporting" on Gov. Cuomo's moronic statements about how "New York doesn't get tornadoes...but we do NOW!".. What an asshole, we've had 411 verified tornadoes since records have been kept, and average about 10 a year. Now he's conducting "seminars on the new extreme weather" conditions we have.... obviously he's saying these lies just to pave the way to blame it all on Global Warming- and to take even more of our money.... and there's that fool Sherri Smith brainlessly "reporting" it, purposefully disseminating false information... she's a piece of shit, and should have been fired instead of Chet.
WHAM Listner

Rochester, NY

#22 Jul 11, 2014
Sad to see Chet gone, but apparantly ratings went down. I think they need to get rid of Joe Lomanaco. That guy is the most annoying boradcaster. His artificial laughs and constant interruptions when the sports or newscasters are on is so annoying. His attempt at humor is so pathetic, I have to often switch stations.
Undergrad

Honeoye Falls, NY

#23 Jul 14, 2014
Since iHeart Radio is so in love with Bob Lonsberry I wonder if they have considered renaming the call letters of WHAM to BOBL.
Then they could sell the unique bobblehead of their very own Bob Lonsberry (or undoubtedly would have to give them away). I'm sure the ratings would just soar according to iHeart Radio. LOL Really
Boob Dingleberry

Rochester, NY

#24 Jul 14, 2014
Undergrad wrote:
Since iHeart Radio is so in love with Bob Lonsberry I wonder if they have considered renaming the call letters of WHAM to BOBL.
Then they could sell the unique bobblehead of their very own Bob Lonsberry (or undoubtedly would have to give them away). I'm sure the ratings would just soar according to iHeart Radio. LOL Really
They can't, radio and TV call letters starting with B are only for China and Taiwan. Canada uses the call letter C.
U.S. Radio stations in the US east of the Mississippi must start with the letter W, and those west of it start with a K, that started in 1949. Exceptions are those that started before the rule such as KDKA in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, KYW in Philadelphia, WBAP in Fort Worth, Texas, and WACO-FM in Waco, Texas, and those that only have 3 call letters like WGN-Chicago and WOR-NY

WBOB is AM600 in Jacksonville, Fl

WLON - 1050 AM Lincolnton, NC

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Irondequoit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Walmart Fight Involving 30 People Near Rocheste... 1 hr south avenue wedge 23
15 yr old who stole hummer/mercedes is a dad 1 hr Ha Ha 5
Per Ca-pita Rochester NY Is More Deadly/Dangero... 1 hr Ha Ha 4
James Shepard for Rochester Mayor 5 hr Charlie 4
Park Ave Fest 13 hr Ha Ha 84
Brittanee Drexel Comment from Hemingway, SC for... Fri Slammer 35
I can't wait to vote forTRUMP!!! Fri TRUMP aint no chump 172

Irondequoit Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Irondequoit Mortgages