TWC raises the price of InterNet modems

Posted in the Irondequoit Forum

Country Boy

Batavia, NY

#1 Jul 29, 2013
As expected our friendly monoply Time Warner has raised the monthly rental of the company supplied modems from $3.75 to $5.75 a month. Last Fall when I got their post card calling for the initial monthly charge, I got my own modem from Wally World for $60. I figured this was just to opening round of a never ending series of price increases. I have been proved correct. Buy your own modem and give TW back their piece of junk. Bring on FIOS...I will be your first customer. I hate this company and their predatory marketing, but currently they are the only game in town.
Country Boy

Batavia, NY

#2 Jul 29, 2013
Don't believe that crap on channel 8 news about the cost of a modem $300...get real. Just a marketing ploy to discourage people from going on their own.
PO TW Customer

Pittsford, NY

#3 Jul 30, 2013
Country Boy wrote:
As expected our friendly monoply Time Warner has raised the monthly rental of the company supplied modems from $3.75 to $5.75 a month. Last Fall when I got their post card calling for the initial monthly charge, I got my own modem from Wally World for $60. I figured this was just to opening round of a never ending series of price increases. I have been proved correct. Buy your own modem and give TW back their piece of junk. Bring on FIOS...I will be your first customer. I hate this company and their predatory marketing, but currently they are the only game in town.
I think T-W adjusts their costs upward to compensate as the lose subscribers, making us cover the loss. High costs for a lousy selection of channels.

You're right, an internet modem does not cost $300 - particularly when you by them by the thousands for nationwide distribution (maybe $30-40 their price).

“Don't Toews Me Bro!”

Since: Apr 13

The Elite Northeast

#4 Jul 30, 2013
I finally got rid of mine last summer. Their cable modems are the cheapest of the cheap. I had a repairman here once because of a problem and he actually told me he knew of no technicians who use their equipment - what does that tell you?

Get a cheap modem off of eBay or Craigslist, or get a mobile hotspot on your cell is my advice.
Das right chillren

Rochester, NY

#5 Jul 31, 2013
In my opinion, Time Warner is a Criminal Enterprise and should be shut down. Unfortunately, the only entity capable of shutting it down is the Federal Government, also a criminal enterprise.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Irondequoit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman admits to stealing $90K from DMV 53 min we r watching 2
Punishers MC (Oct '12) 3 hr chainsaw_ michigan 93
13WHAM Anchor Don Alhart to work until he drops... (Jan '13) 4 hr watchman69 34
Christina Jewell-Belluccio, 9 hr Trench bull 1
News RPD neighborhood patrol begins Apr. 20 11 hr Grady Stiles 2
Teamsters at Wegmans get greedy agian. (Sep '13) 11 hr Deiselpower 243
News Supper to raise money for grave markers (Oct '13) 12 hr bryanflake1984 9
Irondequoit Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web