Detroit Files for Bankruptcy

Posted in the Irondequoit Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
John

Rochester, NY

#1 Jul 18, 2013
Huge pay and pensions for government, lots of overtime, huge firefighter and police pay and benefits, teachers pay and pensions and not enough tax payers to support it all. More cities will follow. We need workers in manufacturing jobs not government employees living better than the citizens they serve.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/18/de...

“"Trust no one"”

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#2 Jul 18, 2013
What can we expect from a city who's mayor thinks the president owes the city money for voting for him.

“Lovin' you is fuuu-uuun...”

Since: Apr 09

drop the puck, Ref...

#3 Jul 19, 2013
benefits programs for workers are one thing; you're paying for folks that worked.
what about the tens of thousands on the public dole?
you can screw the retirees, they won't riot.
cut off the EBT, welfare, rent subsidization, utilities, food stamps; those folk will riot.
FlatScreen

Pittsford, NY

#4 Jul 19, 2013
i_m_watching wrote:
cut off the EBT, welfare, rent subsidization, utilities, food stamps; those folk will riot.
And no police force of adequate size to control them.

If our forefathers could have predicted the economic burden bringing them to this country would ultimately inflict, would they have moved forward on the plan?

What a pathetic lifestyle: living off others, selling drugs, murdering people and living in filth and poverty. And having Rev Jackson as your leading spokesperson, telling you it's not your fault.
FlatScreen

Pittsford, NY

#5 Jul 19, 2013
John wrote:
Huge pay and pensions for government, lots of overtime, huge firefighter and police pay and benefits, teachers pay and pensions and not enough tax payers to support it all. More cities will follow. We need workers in manufacturing jobs not government employees living better than the citizens they serve.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/18/de...
While Rochester is much smaller than Detroit, the concept is the same. A bloated, selfish, greedy public sector that consistently ignores economic realty.

That's both the unions and their willing accomplices [elected officials - who are supposed to represent the interests of the taxpayers]. Unions should not be allowed to represent government entities.
KISS

Rochester, NY

#6 Jul 19, 2013
coming soon to Monroe County ...no lie...
Kiss your pension's Goodbye baby boomer's .
401K 's Kiss them goodbye to .
It has begun !
FlatScreen

Pittsford, NY

#7 Jul 19, 2013
KISS wrote:
It has begun !
Two pension funds the Detroit General Retirement System and the Detroit Police and Fire Retirement System filed a lawsuit against Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder. Their suit seeks to block Detroit's debt restructuring plan from deeply slashing pension benefits for thousands of active and retired employees.

Detroit did the unthinkable: filed for bankruptcy. Lawsuit problem solved.

drop the puck, Ref...

#8 Jul 19, 2013
FlatScreen wrote:
<quoted text>
Two pension funds the Detroit General Retirement System and the Detroit Police and Fire Retirement System filed a lawsuit against Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder. Their suit seeks to block Detroit's debt restructuring plan from deeply slashing pension benefits for thousands of active and retired employees.
Detroit did the unthinkable: filed for bankruptcy. Lawsuit problem solved.
I agree, except for one thing; it wasn't unthinkable. It was predictable and the only prudent responsible thing for them to do.
The union mouthpieces and the entitled crowd got us into this mess.
while motor city was once great, it is a blueprint for the failures and incompetence, the lackadaisical attitude of those in charge and the people who think they DESERVE something for nothing.

We talked about teaching the 4 year old to learn how to shoot a weapon last night as a matter of fact. She'll be pretty good at it quick, too.

Detroit has been bankrupt for the past 15 years.
This was way overdue.

Now, do I bury my money in the backyard or keep it under the dog house?
Shaquanda

Rochester, NY

#9 Jul 19, 2013
If Rochester goes bankrupt will I still get my goverment welfare paycheck? Will they continue to pay all my other bills? Who will feed my kids?

drop the puck, Ref...

#10 Jul 19, 2013
Shaquanda wrote:
If Rochester goes bankrupt will I still get my goverment welfare paycheck? Will they continue to pay all my other bills? Who will feed my kids?
you need to be spayed.
William Shockley's mandatory sterilization plan for the stupid, indigent and slovenly.
Chuck

Atlanta, GA

#11 Jul 19, 2013
KISS wrote:
It has begun !
I agree. It will happen to the City of Rochester/Monroe County and NYS. Just a few years down the road I bet. More government retirements at half pay and big benifits paid in full and less private sector jobs and employment that pay taxes And then we have more getting welfare and foostamps that spells a big mess not to far away. You can not pay out more than you take in. It does not work.

drop the puck, Ref...

#12 Jul 19, 2013
Detroit went bankrupt.
DETROIT.
Henry Ford would kick someone's ASS right now.
think about that for one minute.
not New Orleans, not Houston, not Birmingham.
Motor Freaking City.
the basis of industrial America.
if this doesn't get you wondering about our future, you're idiots.
we ALL have to get along and get working together.
or, we'll all be speaking Chinese...
The People's Republic of America;
doesn't sit very well with me.
FlatScreen

Pittsford, NY

#13 Jul 19, 2013
Businesses moving out, NYS making tax free deals to attract new businesses (while burdening the existing firms with increased tax and more regulations).

And how's that working? We attract fast food restaurants, not integrated chip plants, software developers or manufacturing... that can bring a higher standard of living. The real players don't want to come here, we're business unfriendly -- and a welfare state.
Chuck

Atlanta, GA

#14 Jul 19, 2013
Id this the furure of America nad its cities?

http://www.activistpost.com/2013/02/24-facts-...
Chuck

Atlanta, GA

#15 Jul 19, 2013
Is this the future of America and its cities? It does not look nice.

http://www.activistpost.com/2013/02/24-facts-...
Chuck

Atlanta, GA

#16 Jul 19, 2013
Good luck on gettting your government pension in the future. It will not be there.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/19/news/economy/...
Shaquanda

Rochester, NY

#18 Jul 19, 2013
Anyone know if NY is going to give out $200.00 per kid back to school money this year?
Plus I think it's been awhile since we had a raise in our government paychecks.

drop the puck, Ref...

#19 Jul 19, 2013
Ha Ha

Iraq

#20 Jul 19, 2013
Harrisburg PA tried this too.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/12/news/economy/...
But I think that the PA constitution would not allow them to follow through with it.

Too bad, taxpayers have to manage their own retirement ... government workers should have to also.
John

Rochester, NY

#21 Jul 19, 2013
Shaquanda wrote:
Anyone know if NY is going to give out $200.00 per kid back to school money this year?
Plus I think it's been awhile since we had a raise in our government paychecks.
Yes and your kid will be feed 5 times a day at school so you can blow your food stamp money on other things

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Irondequoit Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Suspension Rate Discussion Scares Racist Teachers 4 min FUBO 19
RFD: Woman set fire to home with kids inside 13 min Whitey 6
RCSD tries to stem chronic absences 26 min FUBO 2
Do you agree with my views on interracial dating? (Nov '10) 33 min FUBO 73
Brother wease el and hate 1 hr Rhonda 11
Local store helps family in need and gives free... (Dec '09) 2 hr Whitey 9
Whats Your Favorite 2014 Christmas Comercial? 2 hr Whitey 2
Irondequoit Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web