Ip Man

Covington, VA

#1 Dec 29, 2013
What's around locally where I can study Martial Arts?
been there

Unionville, VA

#2 Dec 30, 2013
American freestyle martial arts
202 chapel dr.
www.afmacovington.com
Offers Brazilian Jui Jitsu , muay thai and American freestyle karate.
Also Been There

Clifton Forge, VA

#3 Dec 30, 2013
Go to Lexington or Roanoke unless you want to take forever to learn anything and enjoy being yelled at like a dog and humiliated in front of everyone. That is just from the main owner.

I have heard the other guy is good though, but we take our kids to Lexington now.
pay no mind

Covington, VA

#4 Dec 31, 2013
Also Been There wrote:
Go to Lexington or Roanoke unless you want to take forever to learn anything and enjoy being yelled at like a dog and humiliated in front of everyone. That is just from the main owner.
I have heard the other guy is good though, but we take our kids to Lexington now.

yes go to lexington or noke an you will learn nothing. you pay an get a black belt even if you dont work hard an learn what you are suppost to. there called black belt factories money talks even if you dont have the discipline. but if you want to learn go to covington ask to sit in during classes an hell i think the first 4 classes are free so decide yourself dont take advice from someone who knows nothing but by all means if you want to say hey i got a black belt in a year an a half go to noke lol any one with any real knowledge of the arts knows theres no way you can really cover everything in that time but like i said money talks
Also Been There

Clifton Forge, VA

#5 Dec 31, 2013
DISCIPLINE? LOL! Having Clay yell and put children in tears is not giving these children discipline, it is stoking his sick ego and making the kids not want to participate. He has lost several excellent students in the past 3-4 years because of the way he behaves himself. I mean, give me a break. This is someone who thinks it is okay to yell at children that are there trying to learn. Who does that?

Nobody said you will get a belt fast anywhere, why don't you over exaggerate yourself somewhere else. Martial arts is just that, an art that takes years to define yourself in. And as far as money, you don't know my money situation, but let me tell ya, I was struggling to pay Clay's fee, but because this is what my children wanted, I found a way.

And btw, if Clay is so wonderful, why in the word does his family not have anything to do with him, and why does he trash talk his family in front of total strangers?
Spider man

Covington, VA

#6 Dec 31, 2013
I quit going there a long time ago. I wasn't treated very well and never got to do anything fun. So I said f this and quit
A long time student

Covington, VA

#7 Jan 12, 2014
OK this is for Also Been There or any other egotistical idiot that wants to complain about Clay Johnson. Martial arts is a discipline form or self defense and exercise. Its not for someone to take their lazy kids there to drop off so they can disrupt class and slow anyone else down from learning because they don't care. If you think Clay is harsh I know worse a lot worse. martial arts is not for lazy people and if they are not into it 100% they don't need to be there. Clay trains all of his students very carefully and for the most part puts his soul into it. Its all he basically has and he puts 110% into it. If you were to compare students of Clays to other schools within the same time period his students are more skilled because of the knowledge he passes along. He does not tolerate ignorance nor laziness. Class time is for learning and working not socializing and dancing around the floor disrupting because mama and daddy thinks your cute. If anyone left that class it was because they were lazy or couldn't hang. You can talk your bs behind his back and bash his ability but I know 100% he is the best. I will back it up to anyone that has a issue .With this said keep your lazy brats at home and your lazy ass on the couch and your mouth off of Clay.
Ip Man

Hot Springs, VA

#8 Jan 13, 2014
A long time student wrote:
OK this is for Also Been There or any other egotistical idiot that wants to complain about Clay Johnson. Martial arts is a discipline form or self defense and exercise. Its not for someone to take their lazy kids there to drop off so they can disrupt class and slow anyone else down from learning because they don't care. If you think Clay is harsh I know worse a lot worse. martial arts is not for lazy people and if they are not into it 100% they don't need to be there. Clay trains all of his students very carefully and for the most part puts his soul into it. Its all he basically has and he puts 110% into it. If you were to compare students of Clays to other schools within the same time period his students are more skilled because of the knowledge he passes along. He does not tolerate ignorance nor laziness. Class time is for learning and working not socializing and dancing around the floor disrupting because mama and daddy thinks your cute. If anyone left that class it was because they were lazy or couldn't hang. You can talk your bs behind his back and bash his ability but I know 100% he is the best. I will back it up to anyone that has a issue .With this said keep your lazy brats at home and your lazy ass on the couch and your mouth off of Clay.
Sounds like the place I need to go then.
Past student

Roanoke, VA

#9 Jan 13, 2014
Clay is amazing. He is a warm hearted person and I loves the days I went there. He is strict in class but aren't all instructors. We're talking about a martial arts class not a socializing event. Think about any good leader you've met, all have discipline.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Iron Gate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Justin Boone 3 hr lol 2
Ashton Oyler 4 hr Hmm lol 1
Montanna Hoee Hall 5 hr Lol 6
Rosemary Downy (Feb '14) 5 hr wow 4
lonely female 6 hr Just Playin Round 13
Children's Forest 6 hr wondering 2
Jasmine Holloway 6 hr 360Junkman 3

Fire Warning for Alleghany County was issued at March 31 at 3:45AM EDT

Iron Gate Dating
Find my Match