Dog breeders growling over canine proposal

Full story: Lowell Sun

Dog breeders blasted a proposed House bill yesterday that would require all dogs to be neutered and spayed by the age of 12 months, saying the law would decimate the canine-breeding and dog-show industries in ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 35 Comments Last updated Jun 16, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ginny

Boston, MA

#1 Oct 24, 2008
The Mass. legislature once again reacts to alleged problems with more absurd laws and more fines for people who can't afford them. This bill would do nothing to correct any problems.
Ridiculous

Boston, MA

#3 Oct 24, 2008
We have better things to be concerned about!!! This is a ridiculous law. So, let's pick on defenseless animals rather than addressing the important issues that plague our world today.
Stop wasting our tax dollars on such stupid laws.

Since: Jul 08

Lowell

#4 Oct 24, 2008
How about an actual enforcement of the leash law. I was on the Mccarthy School track last week and a women had her dog just running around,ad when I told her to please leash her dog she laughed and walked away.I called the cops and they never showed up, not high on their list of things to do until someone gets bit.
Ralph

United States

#5 Oct 24, 2008
We have huge financial issue facing us and they spend time on this stuff. Or are they just interested in finding away to increase taxes which these fees amount to.
Vote Yes on #1
smith

AOL

#6 Oct 24, 2008
Sounds like a great plan since MILLIONS of dogs are euthanized every year, just becausehtey have no one to take them home.

Dog breeders claim they love dogs, I think what they erally love is the "sport" of showing off a dog and the money that follows that, especially when selling puppies.

If dog breeders really loved dogs then they would encourage people to adopt the TRILLIONS that are living in shelters waiting for loving homes, instead of making more dogs that sometimes add to the shelter population!
Kevin

United States

#7 Oct 24, 2008
Uneeded legislation. The end result will be good breeders will go out of bussiness or move. Unscrupulous breeders will ignore the law, and the puppies that will be available will come from puppy mills.
The reason the responsible breeders are against this is that you should not breed a dog until they are over 2 years old, the age when hips, knees eyes etc can be checked with certainty.This is so dogs with bad hips, knees, eyes, etc are not bred.
Breeders

Billerica, MA

#8 Oct 24, 2008
I agree with you Smith. It makes no sense to breed dogs to sell for $ when there are so many animals living in shelters being euthanized. Dog breeding has run its course
Shawn

Billerica, MA

#9 Oct 24, 2008
Breeders wrote:
I agree with you Smith. It makes no sense to breed dogs to sell for $ when there are so many animals living in shelters being euthanized. Dog breeding has run its course
So has common sense, apparently
adoptadog

Boston, MA

#10 Oct 24, 2008
I believe that a law to neuter all dogs if foolish.
I have 2 rescue dogs that had a very abused life and I am an advocate of population control.
Responsible breeders in humane settings are normally in private home and not large scale breeders. A 500.00 dollar fee per year is crazy.
If you are going to make a law someone should put some thought into it first.
Ralph

United States

#11 Oct 24, 2008
smith wrote:
Dog breeders claim they love dogs, I think what they erally love is the "sport" of showing off a dog and the money that follows that, especially when selling puppies.
Obviously you have never tried to make a living breeding dogs. There is little profit involved unless you run one of the Amish puppy mills im PA or MO that keep pumping out questionable quality in absolutely horrible conditions. The local breeders who sell their couple of litters a year are the ones that should be left alone. If you care about all those dogs that are euthanized as I do you would push for laws to shut down puppy mills or prevent the importation of these puppies in Massachusetts through pet stores or middlemen who pass themselves off as breeders.
Elianna

Cambridge, MA

#12 Oct 24, 2008
Breeders wrote:
What about the young families who want a puppy because they have young children in the home? I myself, bouthg a Lab from a breeder for this particular point, I had small children at the time. I do agree that there are many animals in need of a home, believe me I do, but I can tell you I would not go to a shelter and get a 4 yr old dog having a 2 yr old at home.
Mom

Tewksbury, MA

#13 Oct 24, 2008
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you have never tried to make a living breeding dogs. There is little profit involved unless you run one of the Amish puppy mills im PA or MO that keep pumping out questionable quality in absolutely horrible conditions. The local breeders who sell their couple of litters a year are the ones that should be left alone. If you care about all those dogs that are euthanized as I do you would push for laws to shut down puppy mills or prevent the importation of these puppies in Massachusetts through pet stores or middlemen who pass themselves off as breeders.
Good Post!!
only in chelmsford

Tewksbury, MA

#14 Oct 24, 2008
Lowell Politics Stink wrote:
How about an actual enforcement of the leash law. I was on the Mccarthy School track last week and a women had her dog just running around,ad when I told her to please leash her dog she laughed and walked away.I called the cops and they never showed up, not high on their list of things to do until someone gets bit.
Was the dog bothering you? give me a break you called the cops your a ass.I just love people like you that have nothing better to do then complain.
City Girl

Dracut, MA

#15 Oct 24, 2008
only in chelmsford wrote:
<quoted text> Was the dog bothering you? give me a break you called the cops your a ****.I just love people like you that have nothing better to do then complain.
I too have nothing better to do then to call the police on people that let their dogs run free at public places
Bagdad Harry

United States

#16 Oct 24, 2008
Lowell Politics Stink wrote:
I certainly hope the LOwell cops have better things to do that enforce the leash law for the pleasure of Lowell Politics Stink
The Patriot

Marblehead, MA

#17 Oct 25, 2008
smith wrote:
Sounds like a great plan since MILLIONS of dogs are euthanized every year, just becausehtey have no one to take them home.
If dog breeders really loved dogs then they would encourage people to adopt the TRILLIONS that are living in shelters waiting for loving homes, instead of making more dogs that sometimes add to the shelter population!
You really have no idea what your talking about. I have never seen a breeder that shows make any money. By the the time you pay the vet bills fees for transportation, fees for hotels, fees for food, fees for a handler fees for transportation fees for entry your in the hole and this is just a start. So don't run off with the mouth until you really know what your talking about and by the way if someone wants to buy a dog from the pound that's their choice and most breeders support rescue leaques. One more thing there is no money paid out from AKC from winning shows.
Socially Unrested

New Britain, CT

#18 Oct 25, 2008
Hmmmmm...Sounds like (dare I say it)... Dog control.
Maggie

Boston, MA

#19 Oct 25, 2008
This is one of the dumbest waste of lawmakers'm time that I have ever heard. Enforce the leash laws. And make spaying and neautering more affordable. A few years ago - I called the cops on a neighbor's pit bull a few times when the dog kept pooping in my garden and the neighbor refused to clean it up. He eventually got the message and put up a fence.
Kevin

United States

#20 Oct 27, 2008
The main winners if this law passes will be the 'puppy mills" and 'backyard breeders". If you sell hundreds of puppies it is no big deal to pay a $500.00 fee. Since the fee is based on number of dogs, they will breed the same dog over and over. The "bad" breeders will just move.
Backyard breeders will just not tell anyone and fly under the radar.
Most of the rescue dogs that are adopted in Mass are imported from other states, mostly from down south.
The end result will not help dogs, it will help irresponsible breeders, and the puppy mill industry.
Bagdad Harry

United States

#21 Oct 27, 2008
Kevin wrote:
The main winners if this law passes will be the 'puppy mills" and 'backyard breeders". If you sell hundreds of puppies it is no big deal to pay a $500.00 fee. Since the fee is based on number of dogs, they will breed the same dog over and over. The "bad" breeders will just move.
Backyard breeders will just not tell anyone and fly under the radar.
Most of the rescue dogs that are adopted in Mass are imported from other states, mostly from down south.
The end result will not help dogs, it will help irresponsible breeders, and the puppy mill industry.
Hence the only real way to curb this problem ...to only let licensed (by state) breeders sell spade and neutered dogs to people after careful background checks.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ipswich Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dogs Locked in Cars and Essex Police do NOTHING 17 hr HCJ1215 1
Burger King Homo Pick-Up Aug 29 Just Curious 6
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Aug 16 Kundrot dionkie 1,163
Yard Sale 10 Dearborn 8/9 -9:00-3 Aug 8 Brynk 1
Union College president takes part in Ice Bucke... Aug 8 Call Me Stupid 1
DA: College kid going to jail over 'knockout' p... Aug 6 Does Four 1
Six New Homes Break Ground at Summer Hill Aug 6 Sad Squared 1
•••

Ipswich News Video

•••
•••

Ipswich Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••