Candlelight vigil for teen brings out 200

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

A 17-year-old Ionia County boy was found dead by his mother over the weekend. Michael Meek's parents say they're not sure exactly how he died.
Comments
81 - 100 of 106 Comments Last updated Oct 27, 2010
WOW

Southfield, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

stupidy wrote:
your all retarted.
Learn how to spell stupid!
skater

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

Does it really matter how he went? dont judge a person if you didnt really know him. the fact is that some kids are having a really tuff time with this whole situation, and im sure they are learning from it.
we miss you mike.
skate in peace!
joel

Spring Lake, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2008

the funeral was so incredible!! i mean, yes, it WAS tremendously sad!! however, there was also a great deal of hope and laughter as well that were offered at the service. i was also blessed to see so many people in attendance!!
then at the burial committal the six young men who served as pallbearers and several of their friends laid their bandanas on top of the casket before it was lowered in the ground. to me, they were just like soldiers, most respectfully honoring one of their fallen comrades.
though i was not nearly as close to mike as a lot of people were, i am still so grateful that i got to know him at all!!
sean jackson ionia

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

KALLIE CASTLE
hey how's it going. hope your dealing with this whole incident about mike. i just wanted to say what a jerk i was for saying that stuff about you (hope we're cool n' all) but anyway
I've been watching that you tube video montage over and over until i just broke down crying yeah i knew him a little we use to hang out at the bowling alley. but for real that video is sad. but i feel so bad he had everything to live for. see i don't that's why i wish it would of been me instead of mike. he has all great friend's including you and i don't have nothing. ever since i found out. i've been just depressed and i was praying that Jesus would give him back to earth and just take me as a trade. i know it sounds weird but it's the truth
kallie,
please talk to me and let me know how your dealing with this all because i can't i don't know if it effects people different but i guess i'm one of those people.
please take this a peace calling and i'm so sorry that all of this went down it sucks losing someone so close and it makes it so difficult to do pretty much anything.
always & always
S.I.P.
mike >
we all miss you Sean J
Just A Mom

Alma, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2008

I didn't know Mike nor his family, but his family and friends are in my thoughts a prayers.

More then a few post have said that the way he passed is irrelivent at this point. Its not irrelivent. WE as parents need to educate OURSELVES and our CHILDREN about the dangers of huffing or for that matter the dangers of any and all drugs. There are always signs of drug use, they may be samll signs (eating more, not eating, mood changes and the like), but there are signs.

Parents would like to believe that their child would never do/experiment with drugs. I myself had that same attitude, I was fortunate enough to stop the actions of my daughter (who is now 23, and wonderful), before anything like this happened to my family.

Children don't learn to use drugs on their own, and they don't do drugs alone. Im hoping that all of Mikes friends take this tragedy and turn it into something positive, by spreading the word about the dangers of huffing. It only takes one time of grabbing that can, and it may be your last.

This dosen't mean that Mikes parents were bad parents in anyway shape or form. They loved their son, they belived in their son, which they should not be chastized for doing. They, like other parents are just uninformed about drug usage, weather it be weed, pills, or the ever so popular aerosol can.

Parents talk to your children, inform YOURSELVES about the drugs of "choice" that OUR young citizens are using.

For the teens out there. If you suspect that a friend is using, talk to them, talk to a youth pastor, a teacher, anyone that will listen. Get that person help before we lose more of OUR young adults to drugs. Whats the worse that can happen if you roll on a friend and tell his parents about whats going on? What, their going to be extremely mad at you, but isn't that better then attending a funeral service?

We all make choices, some choices arn't the best, and we learn from our mistakes or others mistakes.

Take this time to reflect on Mike's wonderful life, everything that was great about him, people and things that he loved and made him happy. Don't ever forget Mike, but also remember how he passed, and pass on the dangers of huffing..

Once agian my thoughts and prayers are with Mike's family and friends. It sounds like he was a great young man, who was loved by many...and will be missed by many....
with regret

Spring Lake, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2008

i'm sorry, but this NOT the place to be offering lengthy apologies to kallie (or anybody else for that matter). if you want to apologize to her, do that face to face, or in an e-mail, not in a forum where people are honoring mike's memory.
sean jackson ionia wrote:
KALLIE CASTLE
hey how's it going. hope your dealing with this whole incident about mike. i just wanted to say what a jerk i was for saying that stuff about you (hope we're cool n' all) but anyway
I've been watching that you tube video montage over and over until i just broke down crying yeah i knew him a little we use to hang out at the bowling alley. but for real that video is sad. but i feel so bad he had everything to live for. see i don't that's why i wish it would of been me instead of mike. he has all great friend's including you and i don't have nothing. ever since i found out. i've been just depressed and i was praying that Jesus would give him back to earth and just take me as a trade. i know it sounds weird but it's the truth
kallie,
please talk to me and let me know how your dealing with this all because i can't i don't know if it effects people different but i guess i'm one of those people.
please take this a peace calling and i'm so sorry that all of this went down it sucks losing someone so close and it makes it so difficult to do pretty much anything.
always & always
S.I.P.
mike >
we all miss you Sean J

Since: Sep 08

Ionia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2008

just a mom,
i don't believe that anybody by saying that the cause of mike's death is irrelevant was meaning to imply that the cause of his death should be ignored. however, those who were closest to mike already know that this is what caused his death so that is why in a sense the cause is irrelevant. he has still passed regardless of the circumstances.
you said, "It only takes one time of grabbing that can, and it may be your last." i found this quote most intriguing, because as i understand it, this WAS the first time that mike had ever tried this. you also said, "This dosen't mean that Mikes parents were bad parents in anyway shape or form. They loved their son, they belived in their son, which they should not be chastized for doing". Let me assure you after seeing how they both were through this whole process, those words could not be MORE true. they both showed SUCH strength through everything...the visitations, the funeral, the burial...everything.
ALL of us that knew mike have learned a very valuable lesson from this tragedy and are still learning from it. i am sure that nobody will be able to forget or ignore what led to such a horrific situation.

with all due respect,
joel_v
Just A Mom wrote:
I didn't know Mike nor his family, but his family and friends are in my thoughts a prayers.
More then a few post have said that the way he passed is irrelivent at this point. Its not irrelivent. WE as parents need to educate OURSELVES and our CHILDREN about the dangers of huffing or for that matter the dangers of any and all drugs. There are always signs of drug use, they may be samll signs (eating more, not eating, mood changes and the like), but there are signs.
Parents would like to believe that their child would never do/experiment with drugs. I myself had that same attitude, I was fortunate enough to stop the actions of my daughter (who is now 23, and wonderful), before anything like this happened to my family.
Children don't learn to use drugs on their own, and they don't do drugs alone. Im hoping that all of Mikes friends take this tragedy and turn it into something positive, by spreading the word about the dangers of huffing. It only takes one time of grabbing that can, and it may be your last.
This dosen't mean that Mikes parents were bad parents in anyway shape or form. They loved their son, they belived in their son, which they should not be chastized for doing. They, like other parents are just uninformed about drug usage, weather it be weed, pills, or the ever so popular aerosol can.
Parents talk to your children, inform YOURSELVES about the drugs of "choice" that OUR young citizens are using.
For the teens out there. If you suspect that a friend is using, talk to them, talk to a youth pastor, a teacher, anyone that will listen. Get that person help before we lose more of OUR young adults to drugs. Whats the worse that can happen if you roll on a friend and tell his parents about whats going on? What, their going to be extremely mad at you, but isn't that better then attending a funeral service?
We all make choices, some choices arn't the best, and we learn from our mistakes or others mistakes.
Take this time to reflect on Mike's wonderful life, everything that was great about him, people and things that he loved and made him happy. Don't ever forget Mike, but also remember how he passed, and pass on the dangers of huffing..
Once agian my thoughts and prayers are with Mike's family and friends. It sounds like he was a great young man, who was loved by many...and will be missed by many....
Uncle Brian

Seymour, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2008

CG In Ionia wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it the school's responsiblity or the super intendents to prevent things like this from happening? Hello, this kid had PARENTS! They are the ones that should have seen the signs of his usage. They LIVED with him, the super intendent didnt. And what about his skateboard buddies. They all knew what he was doing....."Friends dont let friends skate after huffing" should be the newest slogan.
I have to reply to this: According to the coroner, it was Mike's 1st or 2nd time huffing. This tragedy is still under investigation. He had parents that loved him very much. And yes, there was obviously something that Mike may have been dealing with that pushed him to experiment like he did. There were no obvious signs to be seen. The most important thing to learn from this is 1) Kids: don't experiment with ANYTHING to get you high (booze, drugs, aerosols, paint, gas, etc) IT WILL KILL YOU, 2) Parents, love your kids, talk with your kids, spend time with your kids, and 3) Kids: it's a two way street. Be open and honest with your parents. Let them help you with your struggles. If they can't do it, find someone you can trust who can.

Don't become another statistic. Stay away from anything that will alter your mental state!

Mike's Uncle Brian
Uncle Brian

Seymour, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2008

Heartless wrote:
It's hard to feel sorry for someone whos life was taken because of drugs/huffing/suicide. These kids know the risks but think it'll never happen to them. Tell Michael that now, he's gone, but do you think it'll have any impact on what the rest of these kids,(the ones that will continue to do these things) do? I seriously doubt it. We'll be reading more and more about kids who do stupid things because they want a cheap high
Wow, that was truly heartless. I will be praying for you. If you saw the outpouring of the kids at the Vigil, at his youth group and the more than 430 people jammed into the funeral home you may not feel the same way. The reason why kids want the cheap high is because something is missing in their lives. Usually, it God. Mike just found God the week before. His death is most certainly not in vain. More than 100-150 kids have found God because of this. If they let God work in their lives, they will be changed. They will be filled and have no need to get high. God is the best high you can get. Unfortunately, Mike died before he could realize those changes in his own life.
Uncle Brian

Seymour, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2008

stupidy wrote:
your all retarted.
Thanks. I am praying for you too. Obviously alot going on in your life to be so cold and cynical to those you don't know. Jesus loves you and can help you get rid of your bitterness and anger. Please do not disrepsect Mike by posting more stuff like this. If you would like to contribute in a positive way then fine.
GH_Girl

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

First of all,the death of Mike had a major impact on me. I think it is a lesson that nobody should ever have to learn the hard way,Mike did not deserve it.But we should look at the choice he made and learn from it,so things like this hopefully don't happen in the future.
From what I've read,and heard about him, Mike sounds like a great guy. I believe that his death was unintentional. In my opinion,it is not much different than kids who take a ride on top of friends' cars; many of us don't see the possible dangers.
I am literally disgusted with the awful comments on this forum that were made about him. All of you with something rude,and mean to say...Can stick it up your butt [for a lack of better words].
This past December,a friend of mine passed away.Fifteen years old,she had a blood clot that nobody knew about.That was tragic as well.Although it was a different situation, I am still feeling what many of you guys my age [the teens] are feeling right now.
My heart truly goes out to the friends and family of Mike,I feel for you.
God bless you Michael.
GH_Girl

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2008

stupidy wrote:
your all retarted.
Seriously,
grow the fck up.
Kthanks.
Sad Mom

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2008

Uncle Brian, Thank you...you have truly shown what a good family you are. I am sorry that I had to meet Mike's family under such sad circumstances as they all showed such great strength throughout the week. Mike will be sorely missed at our home and I pray everyday that things will get better for my kids and those that were truly Mikes friends and his family as they mourn Mike's passing.
Kristen

Corvallis, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2008

stupidy wrote:
who the fck learned from this fckin moron when he was alive? how can you not intent to kill yourself by cutting your wrists???
Some people "cut" themselves to relieve pain or stress--much like others use alcohol or drugs for the same purpose. Just because someone cuts doesn't mean that they are slitting their wrists. The self-inflicted wounds aren't very deep--only deep enough to get a "release". Don't judge something you know nothing about. The people who cut need help, they need someone to support them not judge them.
Uncle Brian

Seymour, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2008

Mike was not a cutter. He did not commit suicide. He tried something stupid.

Note to ALL: the cans of air duster will freeze your lungs on contact. If you do not believe me spray it on your skin. Turn it upside down and spray it on your skin. That pain you feel and the sore it will leave is from frost bite. Please don't spray it on your skin either. I was just trying to make a point.
jamie S I P Mike Meek

Sturgis, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

he was one of my best friends n i love him and miss him so much!! you were truly s great friend!!! i wish i culd change the last time tht i shared with you!! i love you with all of my heart!! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo!!
jamie allen<3
alyson kemp

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2008

mike meant a lot to people he helped me stop cutting my self i miss him dearly people dont know how much we are going through they should of canceld school for his funeral but no i get yelled at for skipping to go to a friends funeral that crap i misss u mike and so does lizz she loves u and u know that nnow mike
jlm

Greenville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

Heartless wrote:
It's hard to feel sorry for someone whos life was taken because of drugs/huffing/suicide. These kids know the risks but think it'll never happen to them. Tell Michael that now, he's gone, but do you think it'll have any impact on what the rest of these kids,(the ones that will continue to do these things) do? I seriously doubt it. We'll be reading more and more about kids who do stupid things because they want a cheap high
don't judge michael just because he made a mistake, we all make mistakes. and you yourself pry haven't made all perfect choices in your life. and yes it has made a HUGE impact on what a bunch of "these kids" do. i see more kids from this town going to church and giving themselves to the lord now more than ever. i was at the candle lighting and more than half the people there gave themselves to god. so you can't tell me that there has been no impact. i've witnessed it myself.
jlm

Greenville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2008

i'm from ionia
the ignorant Lauren

Frankfort, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2009

Im so sorry mike...i miss you....
i know we met online and had yet to meet eachother in person but, we had some amazing phone conversations. you always made me laugh, and i loved hearing all your stories you told me.
i was planning on visiting you i really was.... i was only two hours away...i know i said i was going to...but i never did.
im so sorry....i regret that now. with everything i am. i wish i could have met you. i wanted to.
mike, i miss you. i wish i could talk to you again....im so sorry.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ionia Discussions

Search the Ionia Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Wed gottondas 5,482
I hate Chris Updyke Jul 11 Gregg 5
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
Chris Updyke is spreading STD Jun 29 Coronal Sanders 5
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun 25 lulubell 302
Man sentenced in kidnapping and sexual assault ... (Feb '06) Jun '14 cruz 2
American legion bar May '14 Debbie 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Ionia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Ionia People Search