Security breach hits Independent Bank

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

An as-yet-unidentified number of check cards issued by Ionia-based Independent Bank could be at risk after a recent security breach at payment processor Heartland Payment Systems.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Feb 13, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
KAP

Greenville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2009

Judged:

Hope that this incident didn't happen in January and they are just now notifying customers? If so, somebody should be fired!
sick

Kalamazoo, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2009

The bank is out of Ionia and they probley figure like the county( Ionia) they own you too.
Micky

Northbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2009

I am currently experiencing the same situation with Byron Bank..they sent me a letter last week and a new card is on the way. They have been GREAT about it tho..to their credit!!
Kelly

Jackson, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2009

I belong to another bank, a credit union in Ionia. They sent me a letter on January 28th and a new card as well.

Michgian One Credit Union was on the ball shortly after this happened. I had two notice two weeks ago....Thank you Michigan One.
Stephanie

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2009

I have an account at Independent and have not received any notification from the bank nor have I seen anything posted on their website. I work for another local bank who let their customers and employees know about this in January.
Saranac Mom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

I have several accounts with Independent Bank and this is the first I have heard about this problem. Thank you News 8. My bank hasn't notified me of any problem yet.? Strange! I hope they contact their customers soon!
valley20

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

I belong to Option 1 CU in G.R. and have already received a letter of the compromise, and and new debit card. Their customer service is excellent!
Christina

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

Yes, I bank at Option 1 credit union too and I got a letter, new debit card and new pin. No fraud happened on my account but maybe it would have if Option1 hadn't acted so quickly. you people who have accounts at a bank should take a look at credit unions. i love my credit union!!!!
valley20 wrote:
I belong to Option 1 CU in G.R. and have already received a letter of the compromise, and and new debit card. Their customer service is excellent!
noname

Sand Lake, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

It was recently brought to my attention that my Independent bank account and routing numbers were compromised the end of December,(December 24). A relatively small amount of money was routed to an account at Fifth Third Bank. The FBI has been brought in on the matter. This crime is part of a large bank fraud ring. I'm still waiting to hear more of the details. I believe someone local must be involved in the fraud ring because the money was routed first in Michigan and not to another state or country.
Other familiy members had a similar problem occur last year at a credit union in Wyoming, MI
Rob

Ionia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

I am a long-time customer of Independent Bank and believe the story by WOOD TV 8 was poor and unprofessional. This data breach impacted hundreds of banks across the country. For WOOD TV 8 to single out Independent Bank is wrong. Shame on WOOD TV 8. Independent Bank is the victim in this matter.

Further, Independent Bank has been very proactive in notifying customers. The timing of notification has to do with when the information is provided to the financial institution by the card company (VISA or MasterCard). Finally, as Independent Bank outlines in their customer notification, they have sophisticated fraud detection software which protects customers (like me) 24 hours per day. Perhaps the financial institutions mentioned in the other comments do not have software like this and as a result had to issue new cards.
Brody1

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

I was told by a bank rep today that Wood 8 blew the story W a y out of proportion. Letters, a scant few needed, were sent to those who needed them, at the time the event occured in Jan.
Take your medicine

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

I work in the payments industry and it is important to note a couple of things. First, there is no breach at Independant Bank. None. The breach occured at Heartland which is a credit card processor. So, the only way any of your personal info would be compromised would be if you conducted a transaction at a merchant that uses Heartland for payment processing. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with your bank.

For every bank to reissue credit and debit cards for every single one of their customers would be an expensive and very unneccessary measure. If you are concerned that your date may have been breached, then it is imperative that you do contact your bank and have no info corrected. I check my bank account EVERY day, if there is anything out of the ordinary, I can catch.

Finally, if there are large charges ($25+ or more depending on the card type) that are fraudulent, you still have options and your bank can get you squared away.

Heartland announced the breach on Inauguration Day and many in our industry are not too pleased that they waited to do it when all the attention would be focused elsewhere. I am not saying it was done on purpose, but it certainly was very convenient.

This is a typical hack job by Wood TV, but if you read the article, it does explain to some degree what happened.

Bottowmline, by diligent about monitoring your account and if you are concerned, go into your branch and speak to someone there.
Take your medicine

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

Sorry, I meant to put "have your info updated", not "have no info corrected" above.
Dan

Ionia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

I have banked with Independent Bank for many years, and was very concerned when I saw this story on the news last night. I called my branch to find out what was going on. After getting the facts, I cant beleive that WOOD used Independent Bank's name in the headline, when they were not breached. All they were doing was notifying their customers who could possibly be affected. Maybe WOOD should run a story on the banks who DID NOT notify their customers.
Cascade Indy Customer

Ionia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

Saranac Mom wrote:
I have several accounts with Independent Bank and this is the first I have heard about this problem. Thank you News 8. My bank hasn't notified me of any problem yet.? Strange! I hope they contact their customers soon!
I received mine today, so if you don't get yours I assume yours wasn't part of the Heartland issue. By the way, Independent's Web site has posted all of this on the Web site in News on the home page. FAQs and a number to call with any questions.
Cascade Indy Customer

Ionia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

Dan wrote:
I have banked with Independent Bank for many years, and was very concerned when I saw this story on the news last night. I called my branch to find out what was going on. After getting the facts, I cant beleive that WOOD used Independent Bank's name in the headline, when they were not breached. All they were doing was notifying their customers who could possibly be affected. Maybe WOOD should run a story on the banks who DID NOT notify their customers.
I agree. WOOD needs to do their homework before they make assumptions. That's called fair and balanced reporting.
Vicki

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

I wholeheartedly agree with the statemennt "shame on Wood TV" - get your facts straight before you slam an institution that is not at fault. Sensational journalism comes to mind, using a misleading headline only to clarify further down in the body of the article there is no foul. We all know how seldom people actually read more than just the opening paragraph.

I applaud Independent Bank for taking such proactive measures when they weren't compromised in any way. That should have been the headline.
Carrie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2009

During these tough times, local companies should should support each other. The people who work in your community banks are your neighbors, your friends. Independent Bank’s sincere efforts to inform and help customers are the story that was missed here.
Simple Law

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

Typical of WOOD TV, poor reporting, distorted story, name one rather than all affected, create shock....

Typical junk!!!!

When is the media going to do some good reporting?

Anyone in this media group groing pot or is that only GR Press? maybe their smokin' it with him.
Julie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

As a long time Independent Bank customer and share holder, I do not appreciate the frenzy that was created by your broadcast. It clearly states in the article published by Tony Tagliavia that "Cardholder names may have been exposed in a small percentage of cases. Investigators have apparently not determined how many if any card numbers were actually stolen during the security breach at Heartland". There are several banks that use Heartland for their card processing. How dare you target Independent Bank as the only bank involved and stating that checking accounts were affected.
"The data involved did not contain customers’ personal information or checking account numbers."
"Independent Bank has been proactive in notifying customers of the potential impact of the security breach."
"This breach was in no way directly or indirectly caused by any actions of Independent Bank."
This was clearly a Heartland issue and needs to be addressed properly.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ionia Discussions

Search the Ionia Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul 23 gottondas 5,482
I hate Chris Updyke Jul 11 Gregg 5
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
Chris Updyke is spreading STD Jun 29 Coronal Sanders 5
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun '14 lulubell 302
Man sentenced in kidnapping and sexual assault ... (Feb '06) Jun '14 cruz 2
American legion bar May '14 Debbie 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Ionia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Ionia People Search