Inmate kills self at Ionia prison

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

A prisoner at the Richard A. Handlon Correctional Facility in Ionia died Monday after hanging himself in his cell.
Comments
121 - 140 of 146 Comments Last updated Feb 23, 2011
only GOd Can judge

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2008

thank you peace - i really appreciate the information just one last question - how can i get to the lets chat forum....
Peace

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2008

you look at the index for forums,it says Lets Chat..go from there. think its grandrapids,mi forum.i live in wyoming,mi..good luck
only GOd Can judge

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2008

still cant find..nevermind..im all searched out for tonite..but it was truly a blessing to talk to you...thanks a million
MomofanAngel

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

TAZ wrote:
Well, that is too bad. You know this would not have happened if he were in Allegan, they use tents, and I sure the tent would not hold a grown man. I knew this tent thing was genius!
Get it right, Taz. The tents are in Kalamazoo, about 20 miles away.
MomofanAngel

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

I'd swear I read something about the Great State of Michigan paying for medication for inmates. My husband works but our insurance co-pays are so high that I can't afford my medications, including anti-depressants. Guess I should go out and rob a bank so I can get my meds. Maybe I'd feel better.
unknown

Stanton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2008

Judged:

Wendy wrote:
<quoted text>Well, maybe you can grow up and stop treating people like jerks! I was just making a statement, and maybe it was useless to you, but some people don't realize those things! Stop being so rude and treat people the way you want to be treated!
I like treating people like "jerks". It's fun to see how wound up you get when someone makes fun of your post. Cry some more Wendy!!!!!!!!!!
Rain

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2008

MomofanAngel-Your comment about State of Michigan paying for meds for inmates,I saw a comment posted on this thread #79,[about a paroled convict]I havent heard of anything else,I thought the inmates had to have their own money to pay for their Own things they NEED,ciggs.,paper,stamps,proba bly their Meds.[jobs inside the walls to pay for them to Earn alittle money for themselves]If Michigan does pay for them,probably low-grade Generic kind.I am only guessing.someone told me this.
uncle

Milford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2008

Judged:

Thanks to those that show they have a heart. He is my ex brother in law and left behind a son. It is quite sad to know the depression finally got the rest of him.
Wendy

Greenville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2008

only GOd Can judge wrote:
I speak because my sister was meeting a guy about a month ago who said he had a tv and digital camera for sale. he works at a pawn shop so she had no reason to question where these items came from. She met him oak park and was taken to jail for buying stolen goods. Her three children were placed in protective services. she sits with a half million dollar bond - in oakland county jail. Three days ago the gaurds beat her. Dragging her on the floor by her hair, kicking her where do you draw the line? punishinment or abuse?
I am sorry, but there HAS to be more to the story than this. A Judge is not going to order a half a million dollar bond on buying stolen goods. Something sounds fishy to me here... She also wouldn't be doing prison time for buying stolen goods unless she has a former background of prison time, so what's the REAL story???
Wendy

Greenville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2008

unknown wrote:
<quoted text>I like treating people like "jerks". It's fun to see how wound up you get when someone makes fun of your post. Cry some more Wendy!!!!!!!!!!
Believe me, I don't cry over anything anyone posts on here, I just think you're a complete jerk and have no reason to treat people the way you have.
wondering

Ionia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

i have a question,
how old was he?
asdf

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

good job wrote:
Thanks for saving us some tax dollars!
The lawsuit and /or settlement that the prison is probably going to lose is going to cost more than jailing this guy for life...
unknown

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

wondering wrote:
i have a question,
how old was he?
I'll bet Wendy the guard knows.
Wendy

Greenville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2008

unknown wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll bet Wendy the guard knows.
I'm not a guard, I am an Officer. I don't know who the prisoner was that died at MTU, so therefore I wouldn't be able to tell you his age!
jodi christian

Bay City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2009

color wrote:
This is a sad story, and so is the one of the young 20 yr. old.
Depression/mental illness is nothing to joke about. My condolences to the family.
where can i find information on the 20 year old who hung himself in ionia??? that is my brother
KRosa

Saginaw, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2009

Tax Payer wrote:
One more P.O.S we don't have to pay for
Obvivously you have never had someone you care about away from you. So who are you to judge. It would be a cold day in hell if you had to go there then huh?

“O__o ?”

Since: May 08

Grandville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2009

jodi christian wrote:
<quoted text>
where can i find information on the 20 year old who hung himself in ionia??? that is my brother
If he was really your brother, wouldn't you know how about his situation?
JROSA

Saginaw, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2009

Ionian wrote:
<quoted text>
Must be they can't stand not breaking the law either. I don't feel sorry for any of them, they put themselves in the situation they are in.
For all of you who want to talk crap about the Corrections Officers have you stopped and thought about the job they have to do and what they are faced with on a daily basis? Why don't you take the time to talk with one of them and let them tell you some stories, you'd probably quit feeling sorry for the criminals!
HAVE YOU EVER WORKED OR BEEN TO PRISON?I DID 5 YEARS AND CORRECTION OFFICERS ARE MORE CORRUTED THAN SOME INMATES. YOU DON'T SEE WHAT GOES ON IN THERE.NOT ALL INMATES ARE BAD.SOME GO TO PRISON FOR PROVIDING FOR THEIR FAMILIES.SO I DON'T FEEL SORRY FOR ANY C.O'S. FREE MY BRO.!
JROSA

Saginaw, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2009

Wendy wrote:
<quoted text>The man was in MTU, a prison, NOT a jail! You really have NO idea how a prison is run do you? Prisons house people from ALL over different counties, we ride people in and out every week. Prisons try to rotate people in and out so that "gangs" are kept down and prisoners aren't with all their other buddies. They also rotate them around based on their classification levels. Yes, prisons are full, but basically all the prisons do is swap prisoners for other prisoners.
So why is it so hard for an inmate to transfer from m.t.u. or up north? I did 5 years and I didn't run into any gangs.Maybe back in the early 90's.Gangs in Michigan are washed up.You got these wannabes maybe.

“DRILL FOR OIL?, "YES WE CAN"”

Since: Jul 08

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2009

But hey, lets break the laws and keep letting illegals come across the border.Our own government should kill themselves or lock themselves up.

Only if the "law" was the law, this person would not have killed himself.
My idea is, if being jailed accommodated him to kill himself, then the jail should be brought up on murder charges.
It is an institution, and are 100% liable for fights, drugs getting in, patrolling this long known gayhome BS, and gangs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ionia Discussions

Search the Ionia Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul 23 gottondas 5,482
I hate Chris Updyke Jul 11 Gregg 5
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
Chris Updyke is spreading STD Jun '14 Coronal Sanders 5
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun '14 lulubell 302
Man sentenced in kidnapping and sexual assault ... (Feb '06) Jun '14 cruz 2
American legion bar May '14 Debbie 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Ionia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Ionia People Search