Doctor heads to court after online se...

Doctor heads to court after online sex sting

There are 17262 comments on the Contra Costa Times story from Oct 13, 2006, titled Doctor heads to court after online sex sting. In it, Contra Costa Times reports that:

A prominent Piedmont doctor is scheduled to appear in court Nov. 2 to answer to felony charges stemming from his arrest in late August in Petaluma in a sting operation involving online sex crimes with children.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Contra Costa Times.

Since: Dec 08

Pompano Beach, FL

#7559 Dec 28, 2008
PSYCHO wrote:
LET ME TRY AGAIN MY COMPUTER SCREWED UP I wont put a long intro but here it goes
MAURICE WOLIN
has a new job
lives alone
health affected
not yet divorced...
estranged wife & kids moved
kids home schooled
wife doesnt have the same last name as wolin
Thought his wife moved back east but
wolins wife still works in the bay area (california) but all the pictures of Wolin are removed...
TMZ has online video of wolin & lawyer coming and going from court...
Wolin posted a profile on a dating service, under a different name, lied about his age and is wearing a toupe...
ect....
any updates or corrections welcomed & I am doing this all from memory.
I came by checking to see if there were updates, or if this man ever went to trial. You've provided a great summary of his new life. Thanks for that.

It's great that his wife and girls are safe and away from him. Not only was he cheating on her, but, he was trolling for girls from his own children's peer group. That's just too creepy to ignore.

He must be nicer looking with hair. I wonder if he is now "Really tall and dreamy doc"? LOL. I have nothing against bald men, but, his appearance was against him when realizing he was looking for 12 year old girls.

What kind of job did he get? His medical license is still suspended. Just wondering. I pity the girl who gets involved in dating him. He's probably going by a different name with them, as well, and they may have a 12 year old female child who would be at risk.

I cannot believe he's not gone to trial yet. It shows you what money can buy in California courts.
I don't have a problem with the judge eliminating the interviews, but, if there is a problem with the PJ transcripts, this guy will escape all penalty.

I don't want him to go to prison, necessarily, since he didn't actually molest a kid, but, it would be nice to have him registered, so, future 12 year olds are protected from him. Also, he has disgraced the medical profession, and should be stripped of that privilege. He could molest children under the guise of being an authority figure. He doesn't deserve to be a doctor, in my opinion.

However, I'm not holding my breath waiting for the justice system in California to do anything to him. I suppose by losing his prestige, his wife and kids, it's punishment enough. I just pray he doesn't get the opportunity to molest girls in the future. That would be a shame.

“Changed screen name 2 Stedenko”

Since: Nov 08

Los Angeles, CA

#7560 Dec 28, 2008
shell0724 wrote:
<quoted text>
However, I'm not holding my breath waiting for the justice system in California to do anything to him. I suppose by losing his prestige, his wife and kids, it's punishment enough.
My guess is that approximately 30 seconds after he's convicted in February, his "wife" will file for divorce and take every last dime that he didn't give to Berk. So he'll be broke, too. That's better than nothing, but I think the chances are good that he's going to spend some time in the pokey as well.
Dont bring the girls

Berlin, Germany

#7561 Dec 28, 2008
bama wrote:
<quoted text>
remember, nothing can be deleted from a computer, it can still be retrieved.
That is of course unless he encrypted his had drive or he securely deleted it by using software that repeatedly writes a long string of zeros over selected files or the entire hard drive. In that case nothing could be retrieved. Anyway, is it known if the Police seized his computer before he got home after being bailed out by his wife?
wolin-tracker

Pacifica, CA

#7562 Dec 28, 2008
Dont bring the girls wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it taken into evidence by Police? Did they find the chat on the computer? When did they take the computer into evidece? He called his wife on the scene to bring the bail money. Did the police get the computer before his wife bailed him out and he returned home?
Yes, police obtained a warrant to seize Wolin's computer immediately after his arrest and it did corroborate everything in the chat.

I too am puzzled by the significance of the judge's Miranda ruling inasmuch as everything Wolin said to police after his arrest was excluded from the get-go.

I think a bigger potential problem for the prosecution may be the loss of Von Erck's computer hard drive for examination by the defense.
Watching Wolin

Albuquerque, NM

#7563 Dec 28, 2008
<quoted text>
That is of course unless he encrypted his had drive or he securely deleted it by using software that repeatedly writes a long string of zeros over selected files or the entire hard drive. In that case nothing could be retrieved. Anyway, is it known if the Police seized his computer before he got home after being bailed out by his wife?
I really doubt he did that. He was a doctor not a computer whiz.
Dont bring the girls

Berlin, Germany

#7564 Dec 28, 2008
wolin-tracker wrote:
I think a bigger potential problem for the prosecution may be the loss of Von Erck's computer hard drive for examination by the defense.
Why would any judge grant the motion to inspect von Erck's computer when everything needed is already on Wolin's computer? And how would that be a problem for prosecution if von Erck doesn't deliver when they don't even need his computer to make their case. I'm puzzled.
wolin-tracker

Pacifica, CA

#7566 Dec 28, 2008
<quoted text>
Why would any judge grant the motion to inspect von Erck's computer when everything needed is already on Wolin's computer? And how would that be a problem for prosecution if von Erck doesn't deliver when they don't even need his computer to make their case. I'm puzzled.
I was thinking that destruction of Von Erck's computer hard driver might be construed that he is trying to hide something exculpatory that he transmitted OTHER than what was said in the chat w/Wolin. Then again you could be right that it's a red herring...
Watching Wolin

Albuquerque, NM

#7568 Dec 28, 2008
wolin-tracker wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking that destruction of Von Erck computer hard driver might be construed that he is trying to hide something exculpatory that he transmitted OTHER than what was said in the chat w/Wolin. Then again you could be right that it's a red herring...
I just do not see Perverted Justice taking a chance to ruin the credibility that they do have. It would ruin them if that was the case. Just don't see them doing anything to destroy the years it took to get where they are now.
wolin-tracker

Pacifica, CA

#7569 Dec 28, 2008
Watching Wolin wrote:
<quoted text>
I just do not see Perverted Justice taking a chance to ruin the credibility that they do have. It would ruin them if that was the case. Just don't see them doing anything to destroy the years it took to get where they are now.
Possibly so, but bear in mind that the Wolin case is the first and only time that Von Erck had ever been called to testify. He and his computer hard drive had never before come under scrutiny in a court of law...
PSYCHO

San Jose, CA

#7570 Dec 28, 2008
shell0724 wrote:
<quoted text>
I came by checking to see if there were updates, or if this man ever went to trial. You've provided a great summary of his new life. Thanks for that.
It's great that his wife and girls are safe and away from him. Not only was he cheating on her, but, he was trolling for girls from his own children's peer group. That's just too creepy to ignore.
He must be nicer looking with hair. I wonder if he is now "Really tall and dreamy doc"? LOL. I have nothing against bald men, but, his appearance was against him when realizing he was looking for 12 year old girls.
What kind of job did he get? His medical license is still suspended. Just wondering. I pity the girl who gets involved in dating him. He's probably going by a different name with them, as well, and they may have a 12 year old female child who would be at risk.
I cannot believe he's not gone to trial yet. It shows you what money can buy in California courts.
I don't have a problem with the judge eliminating the interviews, but, if there is a problem with the PJ transcripts, this guy will escape all penalty.
I don't want him to go to prison, necessarily, since he didn't actually molest a kid, but, it would be nice to have him registered, so, future 12 year olds are protected from him. Also, he has disgraced the medical profession, and should be stripped of that privilege. He could molest children under the guise of being an authority figure. He doesn't deserve to be a doctor, in my opinion.
However, I'm not holding my breath waiting for the justice system in California to do anything to him. I suppose by losing his prestige, his wife and kids, it's punishment enough. I just pray he doesn't get the opportunity to molest girls in the future. That would be a shame.
what i know is what has been posted on here pages ago...one will have to look for it.
PSYCHO

San Jose, CA

#7571 Dec 28, 2008
Maurice Wolin Judge rules for doctor in sex case
Judge rules for doctor in sex case
Police violated rights of East Bay man facing prison if convicted on charges of attempted lewd acts with child
By L.A. CARTER
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
Published: Thursday, December 25, 2008 at 4:24 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, December 25, 2008 at 5:24 a.m.
Police twice violated the Miranda rights of an East Bay cancer doctor arrested in a 2006 Petaluma sting that was part of Dateline NBC's "To Catch a Predator" TV series, a Sonoma County judge ruled this week.
Dr. Maurice Wolin, 50, of Piedmont is charged with attempted lewd conduct with a child, a felony that could mean four years in prison if he is convicted. He also would have to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.
Wolin has fought the case at every step since his August 2006 arrest -- along with 28 others -- in a three-day sting Petaluma police and other agencies conducted with the TV show and computer decoys from the advocacy group Perverted Justice.
Prosecutors allege that Wolin, whose state medical license has been suspended indefinitely as a result of the charges, arranged online to meet someone he thought was a 13-year-old girl for sexual purposes.
Wolin acknowledges driving from the Bay Area to the Petaluma home police had staked out and rigged with cameras for the sting. But he contends he wasn't intending to have sex with the "girl," in fact an adult male decoy from the self-proclaimed vigilante group Perverted Justice.
In a three-page ruling filed Tuesday, Judge Arthur "Andy" Wick said law enforcement officers twice improperly interrogated Wolin after he invoked his Miranda rights by asking to speak with an attorney.
During the booking process, Wolin asked to have counsel present during questioning, according to Wick.
"The booking officer(s) should have advised (Petaluma Police) Detective (Steve) Nelson that defendant had invoked his right to counsel and detective Nelson should not have started the interrogation," Wick ruled.
Even if Wolin hadn't expressed his wishes clearly at that point, police again violated his rights during the subsequent questioning, Wick said.
"Once a suspect in custody has clearly asserted his Miranda right to counsel, all interrogation must cease," Wick wrote. "The officers may not 'try again' under any circumstances without defense counsel being present. Any further contact must be initiated by the suspect."
The Miranda requirement stems from a 1966 U.S. Supreme Court decision to protect the individual's Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination. Refinements in the rule are designed to prevent police from badgering a defendant into waiving his rights after he's already asked for a lawyer.

PART 2 NEXT
PSYCHO

San Jose, CA

#7572 Dec 28, 2008
PART 2

Although Wolin didn't re-initiate contact with police, Nelson "immediately proceeded to try to obtain a waiver ..." Wick wrote. "This tactic was improper."
Assistant District Attorney Christine Cook said the trial prosecutor will review the ruling in the upcoming days to determine if it will have any significant impact on the case. Blair Berk, Wolin's Los Angeles attorney, couldn't be reached to comment Wednesday.
The ruling didn't exclude other prosecution evidence against Wolin, including the sexually-charged chats and recordings showing Wolin arriving at the house, talking with a female decoy and being arrested after he apparently saw TV monitors and began to leave.
Wolin has vigorously challenged the accuracy and legitimacy of the chats, which occurred over a four-day period and were given to Petaluma Police by Perverted Justice.
In a motion filed this week, Berk asked Wick to order prosecutors to explain why they haven't turned over copies of the hard-drives from the computer the decoy used to chat with Wolin and from the out-of-state proxy server Perverted Justice says recorded the chats remotely.
According to court documents, the decoy, Perverted Justice founder Xavier Von Erck, recently told prosecutors the hard drive from the computer he used to chat with Wolin "experienced a complete failure" in February 2007 and cannot be copied.
Berk said she has heard no mention of the alleged computer crash, formally or informally from prosecutors or during Von Erck's extensive testimony during Wolin's preliminary hearing, in August and September 2006.
"The fact that this information is just now being revealed ... is, to say the least, highly suspect," Berk argued.
During several days of online chats Von Erck and Wolin apparently exchanged sexually tinged messages and eventually Wolin agreed to come to the Petaluma house. Several times during the conversations, Wolin declined or expressed discomfort with meeting her, even saying once that they "can't do anything" if they did get together.
He was arrested when he started to leave the house.
Additional hearings in the case are scheduled for January with trial set to begin on Feb. 6. Wolin has been free on bail since shortly after his arrest.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20081225... #

you should click on the link-posted Dec 25 2008 but OLD PICTURE
wolin-tracker

Pacifica, CA

#7573 Dec 28, 2008
Judge Wick, who issued last week's Miranda ruling, had steadfastly ruled against Dr. Wolin on earlier motions, including Berk's motion to dismiss about a year ago. But unless Judge Wick punishes the prosecution for police violation of Wolin's Miranda rights, the ruling is a moot point: as another poster pointed out, prosecutors don't need the interview. Just consider how many Dateline predators refuse to talk yet they still get convicted...
penman

Celina, OH

#7574 Dec 28, 2008
wolin-tracker wrote:
<quoted text>
Possibly so, but bear in mind that the Wolin case is the first and only time that Von Erck had ever been called to testify. He and his computer hard drive had never before come under scrutiny in a court of law...
How about the server that independently recorded both sides of the conversation? Could that be used instead of von Erck's HD? But if that's the one they (PJ) refused to let an expert examine, even with a judge's order, it makes a person wonder: tell *why* you turned the guy away. von Erck's orders? Jurisdictional issue (a hard one for me to accept)? PJ's lawyers advised against it?

Maybe that's Berk's goal, or one of them: create enough confusion that this issue becomes more important by, in essence, putting von Erck and/or PJ on trial? Shift focus away from Wolin?
Dont bring the girls

Berlin, Germany

#7575 Dec 28, 2008
wolin-tracker wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking that destruction of Von Erck's computer hard driver might be construed that he is trying to hide something exculpatory that he transmitted OTHER than what was said in the chat w/Wolin. Then again you could be right that it's a red herring...
But if it's only a red herring why would a judge grant the motion? He wouldn't. He would only do that if von Ercks computer has information relevant to the case that couldn't be found anywhere else. But I thought all relevant information is on Wolin's seized computer. I'm really confused. Are we sure that Wolin's computer was seized in time? Does someone know where to find more info on those latest discovery motions? There is bound to be an explanation in those.
Dont bring the girls

Berlin, Germany

#7576 Dec 28, 2008
Watching Wolin wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. Think that is the same one? How could he have enough time to be a computer whiz and such a successful doctor? Both require a great deal of time.
Who knows? Could be him. You don't need a degree in computer science to have an interest in that technology and read up on it a little.
wolin-tracker

Pacifica, CA

#7577 Dec 28, 2008
<quoted text>
But if it's only a red herring why would a judge grant the motion? He wouldn't. He would only do that if von Ercks computer has information relevant to the case that couldn't be found anywhere else. But I thought all relevant information is on Wolin's seized computer. I'm really confused. Are we sure that Wolin's computer was seized in time? Does someone know where to find more info on those latest discovery motions? There is bound to be an explanation in those.
Yes, I was in the courtroom when police testified that Wolin's computer was seized and corroborates the printed chat log.
But suppose the hard drives from Von Erck's computer and/or the proxy server contains some discrepancy from the printed chat which would be helpful to the defense? Thus far, only the testimony of Von Erck and PJ's computer expert Jeremy Antes has been presented regarding the hard drives. But Berk wants the real thing: the hard drives themselves.
Dont bring the girls

Berlin, Germany

#7578 Dec 28, 2008
Another Republican Politician Caught Trying To Screw Children

http://wonkette.com/405173/another-republican...
rohit

Bangalore, India

#7579 Dec 29, 2008
hai
Dont bring the girls

Berlin, Germany

#7580 Dec 29, 2008
hai yourself :-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Inverness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Double Down Thu harry harry hairy 5
News Meet the new 'world's ugliest dog' whose owner ... Jun 27 andet1987 3
News Marin Voice: Jobs are the reason for traffic co... May '16 Leslie 1
News Alastair Blanda s Through the Hopvine: Distille... May '16 LUCY JANE 1
News Remember when: From our archives of May 16, 195... May '16 LUCY JANE 1
News World's Ugliest Dog May '16 LUCY JANE 1
News Shoreline Unified School District names superin... May '16 Julie Jane 1

Inverness Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance