Residents of Inver Grove Heights mobi...

Residents of Inver Grove Heights mobile home park sue owner ove...

There are 59 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 25, 2008, titled Residents of Inver Grove Heights mobile home park sue owner ove.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Residents of the Skyline Village Mobile Home Community in Inver Grove Heights have sued the park's owner for raising the rent to "unreasonable" levels while failing to respond to maintenance requests.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Princes in Pink

Lakeville, MN

#55 May 11, 2008
My comment is as follows, first skyline Village has the shittest management I have ever seen or heard of, second why does the owner have no intrest in this property except for the money? He is ruled by greed and greed alone, none of his other properties are opperated like this, the man has no clue about MN law or the manufactured housing business, he's always blowing smoke!!! everyone should call all of the manufactured housing businesses and find out that he/Skyline does not pay there bills!! at all!! check with the state! The owner sits on the 38th floor of the John Hancock Tower building in Chicago, completely out to lunch about the real world! People, Get a grip, stop paying this kind of money for lot rent to a slum lord and move on, many other communities that are so much nicer!! roads in that park suck, maintenance (Bob??) can't turn a screw, that would be work, not his job, and all the empty vacant homes sit there as scrap, being hidden from the city,fire waiting to happen, lots that aren't clean, trees that won't get cut, no resident respect at all and lot rent at $525.00 or higher plus water/sewer, I say "YOU GO RESIDENTS" sue this asshole for everything you can, you only get one chance!!! good luck, and call the state of MN health dept, they will help you!! Good luck, God Bless!
Old White Guy

United States

#56 May 11, 2008
Maybe you Skyline Village people should get the guy from Newport (previous article in PP)to move over to your neighborhood to liven things up a bit.
Buddy

Clearwater, MN

#57 May 11, 2008
Most mobile home park residents don't realize there is a tenants union available to them. All Parks Alliance for Change works for residents through out the state. If your park hasn't organized yet, contact them. They can't solve all problems, but they are another legal voice for you.

http://www.allparksallianceforchange.org/

"Based in St. Paul, All Parks Alliance for Change (APAC) is a nonprofit tenants union for residents of Minnesota's manufactured (mobile) home parks. APAC's mission is to serve as a vehicle to promote meaningful social change, to protect the legal rights of park residents, and to improve the quality of life in manufactured home parks. APAC works to promote the health, safety and welfare of manufactured homeowners through community organizing, legal advocacy, housing preservation and legislative advocacy."

For those trolls who want to make idiotic statements about mobile home living, where else can you buy your home for 1/3 the cost of a house, less if you buy used, and combined with rent, live cheaper than if you had a house payment and have more space than an apartment at half the rent.
Deborah Kelly

Auburndale, WI

#58 Jun 18, 2008
I live in a mobile home park in La Crosse, Wisconsin. In the 28 years of this Park's existence, the owners have done zero (0) maintenance until recently when they were forced to put in a new well. We dealt with Unsafe water for a full year. I had the water tested last June and when I notified the owner she threatened to have me arrested. As it turns out, I was correct, but the owner's foot-dragging went on and on until the state threatened to sue her.

We also have other maintenance issues, e.g. 28 year old maple trees that have never been trimmed and are splitting and threatening to fall on our homes, a road that is nearly impossible to drive on in the winter with its more than 3 inch ruts, standing muddy water in the road during the other seasons, a manhole that is about to fall in, and the old well which is now collapsing into the aquifer, which will threaten the condition of every well around here that is in that aquifer. The Park owner is a multi-millionaire who pulls roughly $10,000 per month in rent from a piece of land for which she pays only $11,000 in property taxes.

We are owners of our homes and have no power over the condition of the infrastructure. In Wisconsin, we have particular laws governing tenant-landlord relations in mobile home parks. Our Park's owner is in direct violation of a number of those statutes and administrative rules. I am in the process of putting together a lawsuit against the owner and have been withholding a portion of my rent for the past several months, primarily for the water and road issues.

What is the name of the lawsuit brought by the Skyline residents?

Deborah Kelly, J.D.
Tired of hearing it

Saint Paul, MN

#59 Jun 26, 2008
a resident wrote:
I live in North Star Estate in Little Canada and our lot rent is up at $446.00 a month. The last few snow falls we had when it was2 inches they did not plow because it was nice and it was going to melt. We have standing water everywhere. When asked why the rent goes up every year theres always a reason which I feel is not good enough. We only have a storm shelter and a small playground for just the little ones. Our older children are not allowed to ride there bikes or ride the skateboards in the park. Where do they want these kids to go? OUt in the street where we have heavy traffic? All mobile home parks have some sort of complaints and theres really nothing that can get done. They are raising the rent every year and soon we will not even have elderly living here because they will be walking from there homes because they will not be able to afford it much longer. Taxes cant be that much that they raise it every year or trash and water isnt that high also. Times 446 by about 210 homes and that is alot of money. Where does it all go? I think that the state should step up and help the people who live in mobile homes and tell the owners to do more for us and not allow them to keep raising our rent. They need to do more for us if they want to raise it. We have to take care of our own yards and upkeep so who is really benefitting from all the money? The owners of course. Heip keep the cost of owning a moblie home down with soaring lot rents.
Do you live in the real world? The price of everything is going up. Have you checked the pricing on apartments lately? Mobile home parks are NOT just for low income or old people. I say if you don't like it, find somewhere else to live and tell me it's cheaper. Duh. I pay $3000 a year in taxes, and you don't hear me complaining. It's all in priorities and how you choose to live your life. Have you ever thought of putting all your negative energy into something positive? Try it. You'll be amazed what it can do for you.
canadian girl

Marystown, Canada

#60 Sep 17, 2008
bonnie your a rude ignorant bitch and it dosent surprise me, you stupid fucking americans think your better than every else and and i happen to live in a trailor park in canada and proud of it id rather live in a trailor than live in an apartment that you will never own and canadian trailor parks are a lot better than american trailor parks and just had to mention gotta love are health care system where at least if i walk in the hospital i dont have to worry about having money to pay for doctor bills gotta love canada
40for60

United States

#61 Sep 17, 2008
Franklin Adams wrote:
Cry me a river, everybody has their own problems. I own a small, older house (750 sq. feet) out in the country with about 40 acres of land, mostly swamp land and a small meadow. My property taxes and insurance come to nearly $400/month. That of course does not include repairs. New roof will be about 13 grand this summer. I also need new windows, about 15 grand. So, as you can see, it is not cheap to be a property owner and I cannot even sue anyone over it.
Well Franklin..where to begin? A small older house with a roof worth 13 grand? You could have new trusses, sheathing, drip edge, ice and water shield, shinglemate, 35 year archetctural shigles, and top of the line ridge vent put on for 13 grand.
Also, your windows would have to be custom sizes made exclusively for your house to amount to 15 grand. Sounds like you need a reasonable contractor.
40for60

United States

#62 Sep 17, 2008
canadian girl wrote:
bonnie your a rude ignorant **** and it dosent surprise me, you stupid **** americans think your better than every else and and i happen to live in a trailor park in canada and proud of it id rather live in a trailor than live in an apartment that you will never own and canadian trailor parks are a lot better than american trailor parks and just had to mention gotta love are health care system where at least if i walk in the hospital i dont have to worry about having money to pay for doctor bills gotta love canada
Your trailer parks are better than ours? Did you really say that?
I'll bet our sewage treatment plants are eons ahead of yours. LOL
Blue Man

Cottage Grove, MN

#63 Sep 17, 2008
as a trailer park tenantou are nothing more than a renter tot he park owner. You pay your rent and, in return you are allowed to leave yor home there for another month. Property improvements, utility upgrades, infrasturcture maintenance, etc. are done at the owner's discretion.

While you can form a tenant's union and increase the pressure you bring to bear on the owners, they probably have a tight enough contract to limit their responsibilities to you.

I'm not a lawyer, but I have been involved in condo and townhome ownership. In both cases the developer is required to turn over the operation of the property to the owners at a predetermined point in time. From that point on the owners operate the "association" and manage the common areas and infrastructure.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to see how many renters/residents would be willing to form a corporation to take over ownership of the development under a similar arrangement. If you're going to sue, this might be an opportunity to take control of your community and improve the quality of life there.

Just a thought. Good luck.
Franklin Adams

Fargo, ND

#64 Sep 18, 2008
40for60 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Franklin..where to begin? A small older house with a roof worth 13 grand? You could have new trusses, sheathing, drip edge, ice and water shield, shinglemate, 35 year archetctural shigles, and top of the line ridge vent put on for 13 grand.
Also, your windows would have to be custom sizes made exclusively for your house to amount to 15 grand. Sounds like you need a reasonable contractor.
I love you monicker but when is the last time you had a contractor do extensive work? The windows are custom and I got three bids on all of the work.
one

Minneapolis, MN

#67 Oct 18, 2008
That sounds like an awful place to live Tara, good luck to you and your neighbors on getting out of that heck-hole! It seems to me these people could be trapped and sent to prison pretty easily if you had the right evidence. They are breaking so many laws.
Wendy

Fenton, MI

#68 Nov 23, 2008
I currently live in a trailor park, because my parents(im 17) are both disabled and have lost there jobs. I moved from a normal house to here and will actually be moveing back into a house later this week. Liveing in a trailor park does not make you trash, we have lived here because it was affordable and decent. I agree some trailor parks are absoultly disgusting, but thats where you generalize, which is prejudice, Which makes you an ignorant person. Go into a trailor park, a decent one. There are everyday people liveing there who are just as good, or beter, then you are. I suggest you take a look around and see reality before opening your mouth. Thanks. Have a nice day.
Stacy Mahoney

Springfield, MO

#71 May 23, 2009
Now I am going to tell everybody something. You should be grateful that you have a place to call your own. I understand about slum lords, lousy maintenance people, and crummy places to live but above all of that there are hundreds if not thousands of people living in homeless shelters, eating in soup kitchens, eating out of garbage cans, stealing so their families can eat, sleeping on park benches, sleeping in parking garages, and if you are lucky enough to have a car they sleep in those. So in my opinion you selfish, self-centered people who have nice homes and the money to pay for them should shut your mouths and maybe put some of that money that you have and help a family in need, or donate to a charity instead of coming onto a website like this and bitching about how lousy your life is.
Angie

Palmyra, VA

#74 Apr 26, 2010
Ive lived in mobile homes and rental houses ,the houses were 600 a month with break ins and roaches,
the mobile home i live in now we own and pay 150 for two large wooded lots beshind us trails to river and dirt track and place to shoot guns. We run a small plumbing business that we pay dearly for. so please understand with the way government is now this is all we can afford and still have a rich life. So we may be trash but sir or mam we are the ones that make it possibly for you to sit there allday and collect welfare so enjoy!
what the heck

Minneapolis, MN

#79 Sep 24, 2011
I agree not everyone that lives in a trailer park is trash, so you need to grow up. I lived in a trailer park for many years and I have a college education, a high paying job and I own my own house.
mrshurd

Saint Paul, MN

#83 Apr 28, 2012
Stacy Mahoney wrote:
Now I am going to tell everybody something. You should be grateful that you have a place to call your own. I understand about slum lords, lousy maintenance people, and crummy places to live but above all of that there are hundreds if not thousands of people living in homeless shelters, eating in soup kitchens, eating out of garbage cans, stealing so their families can eat, sleeping on park benches, sleeping in parking garages, and if you are lucky enough to have a car they sleep in those. So in my opinion you selfish, self-centered people who have nice homes and the money to pay for them should shut your mouths and maybe put some of that money that you have and help a family in need, or donate to a charity instead of coming onto a website like this and bitching about how lousy your life is.
Stacy Yu are So Right!!!
mrshurd

Saint Paul, MN

#84 Apr 28, 2012
i Live In A Dump But Pay For Everything i Have & Still Aint Complaining, im So fortunate For what me & My family Have, Their Are Human Beings Out Their Who Dont Have What We Have, So Everyone Should Not Be Complaing.
park plan

Saint Paul, MN

#85 Feb 28, 2015
Princes in Pink wrote:
My comment is as follows, first skyline Village has the shittest management I have ever seen or heard of, second why does the owner have no intrest in this property except for the money? He is ruled by greed and greed alone, none of his other properties are opperated like this, the man has no clue about MN law or the manufactured housing business, he's always blowing smoke!!! everyone should call all of the manufactured housing businesses and find out that he/Skyline does not pay there bills!! at all!! check with the state! The owner sits on the 38th floor of the John Hancock Tower building in Chicago, completely out to lunch about the real world! People, Get a grip, stop paying this kind of money for lot rent to a slum lord and move on, many other communities that are so much nicer!! roads in that park suck, maintenance (Bob??) can't turn a screw, that would be work, not his job, and all the empty vacant homes sit there as scrap, being hidden from the city,fire waiting to happen, lots that aren't clean, trees that won't get cut, no resident respect at all and lot rent at $525.00 or higher plus water/sewer, I say "YOU GO RESIDENTS" sue this asshole for everything you can, you only get one chance!!! good luck, and call the state of MN health dept, they will help you!! Good luck, God Bless!
They are the worst ever I have never lived in a mobile home community where it was this bad
uffda

Cottage Grove, MN

#86 Mar 2, 2015
When I lived there the rent was about 98 dollars but that was back in 1990 when I moved out. Seems a little high to me now when you need to pay for your mobile home too. S

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Inver Grove Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Troje's Trash (Nov '14) Jun 3 Margaret 7
News Looking for God? Try the 'burbs. (Feb '11) May '16 ikeepmymoneyforme 932
Moving to Minnesoa Apr '16 Bill l 3
News Woodbury's coordinated traffic lights speed flo... (Feb '11) Apr '16 Aim 82
Local Politics Do you approve of James Metzen as State Senator? Feb '16 Jean Gackstetter 1
News Police: Eagan firefighter arrested for arson in... (Sep '09) Feb '16 Koko 26
Cheap boxing gym here in eagen? (Dec '15) Dec '15 Boxerman 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Inver Grove Heights Mortgages