Gainesville teen survives pit bull at...

Gainesville teen survives pit bull attack, receives 900 stitche...

There are 196 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jul 28, 2007, titled Gainesville teen survives pit bull attack, receives 900 stitche.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

A teenager who needed 900 stitches after her family's pit bull attacked her is recovering at home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Since: Jan 07

St Pete

#191 Aug 5, 2007
Digs wrote:
<quoted text>
My favortie kind of dog...a hot dog
not really
Yeah. Pit/chow/shepherd/lab/shar pei mix. ;) Quite a combination and only one doesn't have a reputation for aggressive behavior. But she's a joy and lovable. The only other dog I'd like to own would be a boxer. Great dogs.
Digs

Maitland, FL

#192 Aug 5, 2007
I have owned 2 Alaskan Malamutes Mosha red hair and blue eyes and Tara (earth) black and white. Tara having quite a bit wolf in her.
apbt owner

Miami, FL

#193 Aug 5, 2007
Dog Lover But Not Blind wrote:
It is sad (scary too) that so many people
own pit bulls, american staffordshire terriers,
american bull terriers/mixes or any other type dog for that matter having a history of vicious behavior and they allow these dogs around children, especially their own. The fact
that these kids are exposed to potential mutilation/death does not deter those who seek
to enhance their "macho" image. Makes you wonder what shortcomings they're trying to
compensate for. I had a lovely female mutt who
started being aggressive towards my son, upon
the advice of my vet I had her euthanized rather than take a chance on a horrible outcome. If these breeds are so wonderful I
wonder why more and more communities are banning them. So many times, famous last words
"but it was such a sweet, loving pet!".
you may think you are not blind but you are....you are blinded by the media's portrayal of the breed. you read the local paper and watch the local news which give you half ass facts and false labeling of the dog that attacked. look at one of my last posts ..there is a link there to dog bite stats and to media stories about "pitbull" attacks...right after the medias version a more detailed investigation reveals facts about what happened and the type of dog allowed.
example:
one story was titled family pitbulls attack 12yr old girl. what they didnt tell u was that these"family" pitbulls were locked in a basement with no socialization and the female dog happened to be in heat. oh yeah they were malnourished which causes agressive behavior. the female dog was also in heat causing the male to be more agressvie. so when they escaped the basement the little girl did get attacked. but this is all on the owners...dont know about u but a family dog shouldnt be starved and locked in a basement.

“American Icon”

Since: Jul 07

Orlando

#194 Aug 5, 2007
Ways To Provoke a Dog:

Try to take food or toy away from him. NEVER bother a dog while he is eating. The most common situation where a dog bite occurs is while a dog is eating.

Playing "tug of war" with a dog. Many dogs interpret this as aggression. If they "win," they feel empowered. If they feel threatened, they may try to retaliate.

"Surprising" a dog.(sneaking up on him or startling him while he is sleeping). Often, the dog's defense mechanism will kick in, and he will bite in self-defense.

"Rough housing" with or other sudden movements toward the dog's owner. Many dogs will see this as an attack on his owner, and will attack you to defend the owner.

Ignoring their warning! If a dogs barks ferociously or growls when you approach his territory, bed, etc. and you continue, that is an engraved invitation to get bitten. They are warning you that they don't like that and stop. Listen!

Inappropriate touching. Dogs generally don't like their ears, tail and feet tugged. Some don't like being inverted and rubbed on their belly. This is a position of submission and an aggressive dog will resist this "challenge" vigorously.
The Proper Way to Approach an Unfamiliar Dog:

First, get the "okay" from the owner.

Hold out your hand, fingers closed, palm down, slowly toward the dog. Allow the dog to approach your hand and sniff it.

Wait for the dog's "okay". If he wants your affection, he will lower his head, perk ears, or even come closer to you. If the dog puts his ears back, flat on his head, or growls, or cowers, don't pet him.

Pat the dog on the top of his head, or along his back. Avoid touching his belly, tail, ears, or feet.
What To Do If You Encounter a Seemingly Aggressive Dog:

Stand still. If you keep approaching, the dog will interpret this as an attack

Don't make eye contact. This is a challenge to the dog

Don't smile. The dog thinks you are "baring your teeth" at him. This is an invitation to fight.

Wait for the dog's owner to come and restrain the dog

Respect the dog's wishes! If the dog is barking and growling, he is expressing his definite displeasure with your actions. Don't push the envelope. Most dogs make good on their warnings!
What To Do If You Are Attacked by a Dog:

Don't move! You cannot outrun a dog, no matter how fast you are. Running only provokes an angry dog.

Look away. Staring an aggressive dog in the eyes is a challenge.

Use a soft, soothing tone of voice. Loud, angry-sounding words and screaming only spur on the dog.

Keep your arms to your side, with your fingers curled in so the dog can't bite them.

If he bites you, DO NOT PULL AWAY. This only spurs the dog on. Remain calm. Try to ram a stick, broom handle, etc down the dog's throat to make him gag and let you go. Don't hit the dog. Again, that just makes the situation worse.

If you are on the ground, curl into a fetal position. Cover your head and neck. Lay perfectly still. Usually a still target is boring to the dog and they will retreat.

“American Icon”

Since: Jul 07

Orlando

#195 Aug 5, 2007
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/OtherBre ...

Check all the other breeds with the potential to bite. Go inside every story. You will see
Amanda

Richardson, TX

#196 Aug 6, 2007
To all of you who dont know your head from your a$$. Any dog can be a threat. A retriever can be deadly. It is how they are brought up. How could you say that every pit is dangerous. Im going to bet that all you haters have never come in contact with a pit, therefore you are going by what you hear.
DFloridian

AOL

#197 Aug 7, 2007
Well, it is not just some of us individuals
saying a breed is dangerous, it is the many
communities here and in other countries who
have BANNED OWNERSHIP of pit bulls and also
the insurance companies WHO REFUSE TO WRITE
homeowner policies if you have such a dog.
Why? Because the statistics show these are
the ones most likely to bit AND to cause the
most damage/death when they DO bite. And I
hope I never DO come in contact with a Pit,
for sure!
apbt owner

Miami, FL

#198 Aug 7, 2007
DFloridian wrote:
Well, it is not just some of us individuals
saying a breed is dangerous, it is the many
communities here and in other countries who
have BANNED OWNERSHIP of pit bulls and also
the insurance companies WHO REFUSE TO WRITE
homeowner policies if you have such a dog.
Why? Because the statistics show these are
the ones most likely to bit AND to cause the
most damage/death when they DO bite. And I
hope I never DO come in contact with a Pit,
for sure!
have you read any of the links that have been posted...one shelter reproted over 20 bites from a labrador and only 13 from a pitbull...so why didnt any of those attacks from labs make it to the news??? why isnt any-1 trying to ban labs??? its all about the ignorance of bad owners, bad press and the public that believes everythin they hear without know the true facts. the apbt was one of the highest scoring breeds in the temperment test last year. higher than golden retrievers. they can ban the breed if they want and you know whats gonna happne after that...they will go to the next breed that has high attack rates. then the days gonna come whne they aretrying to ban your breed...then what???? do some research....look at actual facts...enought have been posted here, then come back with some real points not these pathetic ones you are using from the media!!!!

Since: Jul 07

United States

#199 Aug 19, 2007
Joe wrote:
There is no reason such deadly animals should be allowed to exist in our communities. We all know they are dangerous animals but we continue to expose our children, families, neighbors to this danger. Animals like those should not be allowed to be owned.
AND THIS IS COMING FROM THE WINTER PARK SNOBS. UP YOURS BUDDY ILL TAKE MY PIT OVER YOUR PINK HOMO PODDLE ANY DAY. Now go back to your country club. Before i release the hounds!
Michael

Santa Cruz, CA

#201 Dec 12, 2008
Amanda wrote:
To all of you who dont know your head from your ****. Any dog can be a threat. A retriever can be deadly. It is how they are brought up. How could you say that every pit is dangerous. Im going to bet that all you haters have never come in contact with a pit, therefore you are going by what you hear.
I came in contact, 72 stitches worth! I could have gotten a retriever off of me, it was impossible to get this dog to release, even as it was being hit with a shovel and a bat by onlookers. This dog charged me unprovoked. I'm not saying all pits are bad, but they have a far greater potential to kill. At very least a special license should be required where people are trained how to handle these dogs properly and to ensure they do not fall into the wrong hands where they are ill treated or used to fight. I am not a hater, in general, these dogs are a menace!
Janice

Santa Cruz, CA

#202 Dec 12, 2008
thorny wrote:
<quoted text>
AND THIS IS COMING FROM THE WINTER PARK SNOBS. UP YOURS BUDDY ILL TAKE MY PIT OVER YOUR PINK **** PODDLE ANY DAY. Now go back to your country club. Before i release the hounds!
These are the kinds of people who own these dogs. People who threaten to sic them on other people, they prove the point that these dogs are owned for the wrong reasons. Grow some balls and fight your own battles instead of hiding behind your dog you pansy.
micheal

Santa Cruz, CA

#203 Dec 12, 2008
eddie wrote:
Your a f-ing idiot. That is like saying the human races that commit the most crimes should all be killed. Its all about how you train your animal. Unfortunately many people who purchase pitbulls do so with intention of training them to be aggressive. I can buy a golden retriever and train it to be agressive and one day attack someone.
True, but I will be able to get a retriever to release when it bites. Unless you have ever been attacked and unable to escape the pitts grip, I think you should just shut up, you do not know what you are talking about.

Since: Dec 08

Cynthiana, KY

#204 Dec 14, 2008
I agree Eddie...it's in all how they are raised and trained
Gina

Ocala, FL

#205 Mar 26, 2009
I think it is so unbelievable that people on this site can be so ignorant. How is it that in a society where we are supposed to be thinking outside of generalizations people still end up classifying things according to their "group." If you all want to say that ALL pitbulls are killers, then I guess ALL back people are drug dealers, ALL white people love Nascar and drink beer, ALL Asians love math and watch Anime, ALL Germans are Nazi's, etc.
Pitbulls that are aggressive and bite are because they have irresponsible owners who do now know how to take care of them. They are owners who do not spay/neuter their dogs to reduces their aggression and protectiveness; they are owners who neglect their dogs and leave them tied up outside all day, they are owners who train them to attack on command, they are owners who let their pits prey on small dogs as "practice." Pitbulls are very dedicated dogs and want to please their owners above all else, that is why they do what they are asked.

Please, stop being so ignorant and open up your minds.
Gina

Ocala, FL

#206 Mar 26, 2009
oh and PS: Pitbulls can't technically "lock their jaw." The strength behind their bite comes from their back legs (and the fact they have been bred to have strong jaw muscles). If you take their back legs off the ground when they are biting, you can knock down their bite power about 60 percent.
OneVoice3

Orlando, FL

#207 Mar 26, 2009
ADM wrote:
anybody else notice the bad grammer in this article? is the sentinel hiring elementary school children to write for them now...how pathetic....
You kidding - I can't even file the article.:(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Interlachen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 19 min USAsince1680 1,658,866
Ben Krauth in Daytona Beach 4 hr Abc 3
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 7 hr Mary NY 514,753
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 hr doG mnaDed lyHo i... 64,310
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 12 hr zazz 98,617
Word Association 2 (Jul '10) Thu Princess Hey 23,134
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) Thu Princess Hey 13,411

Interlachen Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Interlachen Mortgages