Manhattan Beach ballot choices

Manhattan Beach ballot choices

There are 36 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Feb 23, 2009, titled Manhattan Beach ballot choices. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

The economic downturn has thrown cold water on familiar Manhattan Beach issues such as the city's ambitious facilities master plan and utility undergrounding.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned MB Resident

Sun City, CA

#1 Feb 24, 2009
CITY COUNCIL ELECTION ON MARCH 3rd:

I could not agree more with the Daily Breeze on thier endorsements for the upcoming city council election.

Montgomery has been an outstanding councilmember for three years and Mayor this past year. He has represented the city in China [tour with other US Mayors], in Washington DC with Congresswoman Jane Harman [D-CA] and Congressman John Lewis [D-Georgia] and at the US Mayors Conference in meeting with then Presidential Candidate Obama. Not only has he presented the right face for the outside of our state, he has made time to host his trademark "Mayors Coffee's" but be at almost every city, school, sports and chamber function. That is exactly what i want our mayor to do. He or she has to be able to represent the city wherever the job takes him and be accessible to every resident that has a problem to be solved. His support of the MBUSD with the emergency payment of $520K was the right thing to do and I know he will be there to help the schools again when needed.

As for Tell, he is the only candidate with four children in the field of five candidates as has prior experience of four years on city council. He also supported the $520K emergency payment to the MBUSD. He has actual "experience" in city government and is on the Council Finance Sub-committee along with the mayor. He is partly responsible for the fact that the city did not lose any money on thier investments during the financial meltdown!

These two men have "experience we can count on"!

As for Paralusz, yes, she is a new face but has experience in the city with three prior commission seats. The fact that she is an attorney at Northrop Grumman is also good in that she is close by in case of an emergency and is used to reading detailed documents with a practice eye. She was also selected before the council nomination period to be on the MBUSD Bond Oversight Committee, no small task. But most of all, unlike Powell, she is not a "Letterhead collector" joining every group in town just to be able to say i am a member of this or that organization!!

Yes, she is related to the Mayor by marriage but it appears she was well on her way to local office [she was an "elected" Obama delegate for our district] before it became a question in this race. No, there is no "conflict of interest" because she is not being "appointed" or "getting any financial gain" from this council - she has to be elected by the residents. Period.

But most of all, she can actually speak to a crowd or a circle of four people and make intelligent conversation! I dont know about you but that is a MUST for a city councilmember and future mayor in my book!

Congratulations to all three candidates and PLEASE VOTE on MARCH 3rd!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
MB Anon

Kula, HI

#2 Feb 24, 2009
Concerned MB Resident wrote:
CITY COUNCIL ELECTION ON MARCH 3rd:
I could not agree more with the Daily Breeze on thier endorsements for the upcoming city council election.
Montgomery has been an outstanding councilmember for three years and Mayor this past year. He has represented the city in China [tour with other US Mayors], in Washington DC with Congresswoman Jane Harman [D-CA] and Congressman John Lewis [D-Georgia] and at the US Mayors Conference in meeting with then Presidential Candidate Obama. Not only has he presented the right face for the outside of our state, he has made time to host his trademark "Mayors Coffee's" but be at almost every city, school, sports and chamber function. That is exactly what i want our mayor to do. He or she has to be able to represent the city wherever the job takes him and be accessible to every resident that has a problem to be solved. His support of the MBUSD with the emergency payment of $520K was the right thing to do and I know he will be there to help the schools again when needed.
As for Tell, he is the only candidate with four children in the field of five candidates as has prior experience of four years on city council. He also supported the $520K emergency payment to the MBUSD. He has actual "experience" in city government and is on the Council Finance Sub-committee along with the mayor. He is partly responsible for the fact that the city did not lose any money on thier investments during the financial meltdown!
These two men have "experience we can count on"!
As for Paralusz, yes, she is a new face but has experience in the city with three prior commission seats. The fact that she is an attorney at Northrop Grumman is also good in that she is close by in case of an emergency and is used to reading detailed documents with a practice eye. She was also selected before the council nomination period to be on the MBUSD Bond Oversight Committee, no small task. But most of all, unlike Powell, she is not a "Letterhead collector" joining every group in town just to be able to say i am a member of this or that organization!!
Yes, she is related to the Mayor by marriage but it appears she was well on her way to local office [she was an "elected" Obama delegate for our district] before it became a question in this race. No, there is no "conflict of interest" because she is not being "appointed" or "getting any financial gain" from this council - she has to be elected by the residents. Period.
But most of all, she can actually speak to a crowd or a circle of four people and make intelligent conversation! I dont know about you but that is a MUST for a city councilmember and future mayor in my book!
Congratulations to all three candidates and PLEASE VOTE on MARCH 3rd!
Oh, come on, Richard. We've known your "Concerned M.B. Resident" alter ego postings for over a year now, and have pretty much kept this info to ourselves. Time to stop.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Another MB Resident

Makawao, HI

#3 Feb 24, 2009
I think the article nailed it! Congrats to the Daily Breeze for getting it right!

I am friends with Wayne and think he makes a great volunteer.

I do not know Gallagher, but hope he continues to show interest for our community. Maybe he should try for a commission?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Daniel

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Feb 24, 2009
And who paid for these shills to go to Washington for the inauguration?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Truth on Montgomery

AOL

#5 Feb 24, 2009
An open response to the post of Richard Montgomery (AKA “Concerned MB Resident”):

Yes, we all know you love to play the role of the consummate glad-handing ambassador … but you couldn’t be more wrong on your self-evaluation. Your smiling empty suit is NOT what most of us are looking for -- not at all.

In fact, a growing number of folks who have ventured beyond your thin façade and invested the effort to understand your true character are downright embarrassed to have you representing our fair City right here at home, let alone when you represent us to others (and somehow find it appropriate to travel at taxpayer expense to do so, without so much as a public report of the benefits or any stated plan to utilize what you’ve purportedly learned).

Apparently you've not heard … but, unfortunately for you, intelligence is 'in' again -- and you ain’t exactly the poster boy.

On even the most crucial policy matters that come before you, your consistent approach has been to just lie back and wait for others to lead. You fool no one with your weak attempts to feign participation by mumbling a few unintelligible words that, at best, only reiterate the question. You’ve reliably displayed nothing more than a complete inability to comprehend (let alone take a stand on) even the most basic issues, and your consistent default is to simply wait until you can safely board the train of popular opinion just as it leaves the station.

To the few who have actually watched you in action on Council or attempted to engage you in discussion on issues they actually know something about, there could be no more clear evidence that you simply lack the basic intellectual capacity for the job, not to mention the required leadership skills.

And that good guy act that has so many snowed is just that – a complete act. This you’ve proven to us by allowing your eagerly awaited chance to hold the ceremonial gavel go straight to your empty, yet fully inflated head. You’ve recently managed to add insult to injury by exhibiting quite a distasteful level of belligerence to accompany your total absence of understanding. One can only conclude that this incredible combination of indignance and ignorance is your true character now coming out, as you gain false confidence that your sad charade is actually working.

The only example that comes to mind of anything you *may* have actually initiated all by yourself (and no, creating the position of Residential Construction Officer wasn’t even your idea) is the very recently established Medical Waste Drop Box. Now there’s a critical problem the community was screaming to resolve, eh? That this is the best you could do to fabricate an accomplishment to further your campaign speaks volumes to your true level of contribution.

Some that cannot bring themselves to admit they’ve been duped suggest, in your defense, that you’ve not really done any damage. That’s about as strong an endorsement as you can muster, at least outside of the little fantasy world you’ve created for and about yourself.

Sad that so many have allowed the bar for public office to reach this record low.

Simply put, we deserve better.*Much* better. In this race of five candidates for three seats, you haven’t even earned a fifth vote.

I’ll close, for now, by noting that I’ve unfortunately had to submit this anonymously because you've also established quite a nasty reputation for political retaliation against those who offer alternative viewpoints. I suppose this should come as no surprise, since such viewpoints so often expose your complete and total ineptitude.

Alas, the ever powerful combination of incumbency and an apathetic electorate.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Bev MB

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Feb 24, 2009
DB article:

"Although Paralusz is Montgomery's sister-in-law, her community activities have been unrelated to his, and we don't think their election to the council would present a conflict of interest."

The Breeze - and voters - might do well to remember that most nonprofits/boards of directors, et al, prohibit relatives from serving at the same time. And with a great deal of nonprofits under my 'belt,' I'd have to say there is wisdom there.

I think 'clubby' is the fear. And relatives can't really avoid it. DB, I think you made a big mistake here.

Additionally: In this economy, Wayne Powell, a Magna Cum Laude, finance/accounting, would be best suited to serve on the council - especially at this time!- vs a third attorney. Truly.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Worthless Endorsement

Playa Del Rey, CA

#7 Feb 25, 2009
The Daily Sleeze endorsement is worthless! All that really matters is what the voters say, and they're not stupid like this out of town clueless newspaper!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Breeze Out of Touch

Honolulu, HI

#8 Feb 25, 2009
It's sad that the Daily Breeze has so lost touch with local matters. The days of our truly local paper with Publisher Art Wible and good beat reporters who really worked hard to get to know a town, their issues and their people are sadly l-o-n-g gone. Now all we get from the Breeze is impersonal regional, statewide and nationwide byline stories, and if they manage to squeeze in a local story or two they're written by unfamiliar and unknowing reporters who are assigned to cover such broad regions and topics that they can't possibly be accurate with any level of detail.

Bad enough that here the Breeze just takes the easy path of endorsing incumbents Montgomery and Tell, despite the fact that it is these very same two who have, for instance, been spending so freely on consultants (close to a million bucks on the dead-in-the-water Facilities Strategic Plan alone) that they're now too entrenched to even identify, let alone make the necessary cuts.

I'll skip any further detail on Montgomery since the above posted rant is enough to scare anyone off, but please - that promise from Tell to create 'neighborhood councils' was also prominently marched out by Tell when he suddenly lifted his first civic finger to run in 2005 ... and he promptly dropped it like a hot potato as soon as elected, never even raising it to public discussion in a meeting. Also quite telling is the fact that in 2005 Tell ran touting 'Not a Politician', and now he claims the critical importance of 'Experience in Office'.

But endorsing Kathleen Paralusz does a serious disservice to the community, for she is not only already as partisan as they come, but she has also already openly expressed her strong desire for higher office as soon as she can claw her way up to it. A perfect example is her Commission service -- sure, she served on three Commissions, but she also did so in record short time, without even spending enough time or effort on any one to fully understand the task at hand, let alone contribute in any meaningful way.(She's only been on the Planning Commission a few months!)Top this with the hugely problematic fact that her close sister (with whom she owns property) is Montgomery's wife, and her election is clearly a recipe for just another nodding head to the whims of our overgrown and complacent City staff.

Oh, and the fact that Paralusz would be the third lawyer on a five member Council doesn't bode particularly well for the community, either.

Wayne Powell is the obvious first choice, as he has not only selflessly dedicated incredibly more time and effort to MB public service than any other candidate, but he is also the only candidate who is a true finance professional, exactly when there has never been a greater need for one.(I won't belabor the obvious here, but if you still need more info on Wayne, please go to www.waynepowell4mb.com )

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Another MB Resident

Makawao, HI

#9 Feb 26, 2009
and the truth shall set you free...

I'm going to start with Bev's comments:
WOW, how Hippocratic of you Bev. How short your memory must be! Only 2 years ago YOU ran for the same city council seat WITH YOUR HUSBAND!! Yes, the man that you live with and share everything with. I guess it was ok then? Sounds like you have become bitter since both of you lost.

Help enlighten me about Wayne:

As he continues to repeat, he has 25 years of financial expertise but where is he currently employed? There is no mention that he has current employment!

If Wayne is so eager about helping our schools, where was he last night when the school board, teachers and parents needed participation and support from our community leaders about the cuts needed for the Budget? Montgomery, Tell, Paralusz, Cohen and Ward were there. He needs to set his priorities straight if he gets elected.

Why was he unsuccessful at acquiring ANY of the school board member’s endorsements? The same goes for any of the current council members.

As noted in an earlier blog, why did Wayne post his campaign sign at the Manhattan Academy (School) only weeks after he and the planning commission unanimously approved their expansion? "Is this an example of quid pro quo for a favorable decision for the applicant or merely poor judgment on the school's (and Commissioner Powell's part)?" taken from Chris in an earlier topix blog.

Why was it that once he declared he was running for council, that he also started wearing a wedding ring?

As far as partisan goes....
Why was Wayne a guest speaker for the publicly advertised Manhattan Beach Republican Women Federated candidate meeting (only Republican candidates were invited to speak)? Did you know that MBRWF is affiliated with the National Federation of Republican Women (NFRW) the largest all-women political organization in the world! As stated on their website,“your membership (on the MBRWF) is a great way to meet people with similar interests and views while helping to spread the message of the Republican Party”. But he is non-partisan right?

What happened to Wayne's website beachbum2 ? Why did it change hands right before he declared he was running for Council? It has been completely wiped off the Internet. Was there material on it that he didn't want us to see (picture of him with Hooters girls)?

While educating yourselves on attacking other candidates you should do some research on your own!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
MB Truth

Kula, HI

#10 Feb 26, 2009
To “Another MB Resident,” aka “Concerned MB Resident”:
“Bev,” who you assume is Bev Morse, was merely pointing out that a “conflict of interest” include more just financial conflicts of interest. There was nothing bitter, nor was it an attack.
Your willingness to go quickly to the belligerent attack comes through clearly in your history of responses. Here’s a list of my favorite 2008 “Concerned MB Resident” postings. More of these are available if you want to continue.
7/4/08
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/country-club-...
Hey Fred, why dont you get "your" council off its CHEVRON KISSING REAR END and take a stand against plastic bag litter! EL Segundo has more TRASH (Including that NASTY SMELL from the Water Treatment Plant) than MB and MB does not have the smell or Airlines overhead that you have! You dont even have a beach (oh excuse me, the jet fuel drop zone off Dockwieler [sic]counts for you).
Stay in stinky, smelly and noisy El Segundo and please leave our council alone!
6/12/08
http://www.topix.com/forum/com/noc/T75PCSMN2I...
Hey Roger Thompson, why are you suprised that Harman,Boxer, Fienstien [sic] wont lift a finger to help Northrop Grumman? Because they are Democrats who took donations from BOEING!!
Hello - FOLLOW THE MONEY!!
[Reader: Compare the above Feinstein misspelling to the entry in http://civiccouch.com/blog/2009/01/28/mayors-... , Mayor’s Blog:“... today i sent letters of support asking our CA Senators Fienstien [sic] and Boxer ...."]
8/14/08
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/august-ca/TL5...
Too bad Ted Lieu, he of the South Bay fame of proposing ridiculous bills (Anti Sonogram Bill - "Tomcat", Anti City Bankruptcy Bill - for the city of Hermosa that he has pulled more often than a Yo-Yo; and of course the Anti SC Edison Bill - in order to force Edison to pay for each power outage - once again pulled back by Assemblymember Lieu).
2/22/08
http://www.topix.com/forum/com/djco/TDU23FD2M...
Where was Michelle Obama after 9/11? Was she not proud of how the US responded to aid NYC? What excactly would she want us to do, sit on our hands?
She is neither proud of Clinton 1 or Bush 1 or Bush 2. Well then maybe she will be proud of her husband opening up the borders to everyone regardless of the consequence and then of the taxes we will have to pay for this Universal Healthcare Plan! God love the tax and spend Democrats!
Which is the lesser of two evils - Obama the rookie or Clinton 2 with her Co-president? God help America - we will need it.
7/5/08
http://www.topix.com/forum/source/daily-breez...
Nice! So you would rather have more plastic bag litter than ask for a revised ordinance? Even as the community overwhelmingly supported this ordinance as well as the MB Chamber and local businesses?
Wake up crackhead! It is the job of council to represent the residents of the city and put laws into place that make sense.
if you dont like it, go LITTER and MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Your name is correct - BOZO!!
7/14/08
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/palos-verdes-...
Hey RB Surfer - put away the bong pipe long enough to read this [presuming you can read].
No one ever said the US was perfect - but you were too busy ragging on the spelling to notice that. What i did state, very clearly, was that MB [not LA or MH or whatever rat hole you live in] is being "proactive" [check dictionary if you do not understand the definition].
Yes, my children will know that this council took a stand, unlike you that will lead down a path of a better environment.
Maybe your "communist" background cannot accept that local government can make good decisions without "asking" neighboring cities what the hell they think! Who cares what you think about it? You dont live here [thank god} so if our laws offend you - stay in your own village!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Another MB Resident

Makawao, HI

#11 Feb 26, 2009
MB Truth. I am honestly happy that you (and everyone else in this blog) are interested in what is going on here in MB. Just because we differ in opinions does not make either of us right or wrong. I wish more people would get involved. I do not know who is writting under "concerned", but it is not me.

I wrote my response because everyone was attacking (I refuse to cut and paste your blogs to prove a point) three candidates and refusing to look at Wayne.

You MUST admit that the points I brought up are great points or else, in defense of your candidate Wayne, you would have answered them. Your no response but to lump me in with "concerned" proves my point. You do not know enough about your candidate other than he volunteers for many organizations and has worked in the past for financial companies. Also realize that Wayne IS NOT A CPA. He loves to dance around that.

I do not want to continue to bash on Wayne (trust me, there is a whole lot more that I have not dumped on you). Just PLEASE do me a favor and research your own candidate OTHER than what he says.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
bev mb

San Jacinto, CA

#12 Feb 26, 2009
thanks, guys - but this election is NOT about me - or steve - but, in some measure, it's still about utilities undergrounding - the costliest, least necessary 'special benefit' ever foisted upon individual homeowners...(see below)-
reporter andrea woodhouse, who interviewed us a couple of years ago, wrote the following today - and, below, i responded. long live freedom of the press - AND people! lol
http://www.insidesocal.com/southbay/2009/02/m...
Political family-arity in MB
By Andrea Woodhouse
on February 26, 2009 11:20 AM
The Daily Breeze's op-ed page today has an interesting letter regarding Monday's endorsements for Manhattan Beach City Council election candidates.
In her letter, Bev Morse, a longtime Manhattan resident and one of the nicest ladies you'll ever meet, disagrees with the Breeze's endorsement of Kathleen Paralusz for one of three available City Council seats.
Morse raises an issue that that has popped up in town as the March 3 election nears: Paralusz is the sister-in-law of incumbent Richard Montgomery, who also earned support from the Breeze's editorial board in his re-election bid.
The letter states: "Unfortunately, Kathleen Paralusz, bright and able, is Richard's sister-in-law, and many boards, such as those upon which I've served and presided, frown upon relatives serving together."
Though Montgomery and Paralusz see no problem with their family ties, plenty of people in town have concerns.
So, there had to be someone else who could have written this letter, especially considering that in March 2007, Morse and her husband both ran for City Council before she dropped out of the race, fearing that two Morses on the ballot would split votes.
Elsewhere in the South Bay that year, Redondo Beach saw a husband and wife run for council and City Clerk, respectively. Also, a husband-and-wife team ran for two council seats in Carson.
In a story we wrote about the sudden crop of hitched political candidates, Raphael Sonenshein, a political science professor at Cal State Fullerton said, "Voters tend to apply common sense to things. The voters will probably have to decide -- are they comfortable with this."

And all three pairs lost.
bev mb

San Jacinto, CA

#13 Feb 26, 2009
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MY REPLY:

Andrea Woodhouse (Feb. 26) is also one of the coolest reporters - ok, ok, lady, too - you'll ever want to meet, and it speaks to astute in her picking up on what seems a contradictory opinion appearing in the Breeze today.
Yup, Steve and I ran together for MB Council in 2007 - but never intended to win - but ran to publicize the hardships of utilities undergrounding for so many in our city. At $500 a filing fee, it was cheaper than paid advertising against undergrounding. Or our lawsuit. A survivor of the Great Depression (the other one), the founder of the Friends of the Library left her home of 60 years, her friends and the community she spent a lifetime building. She would not go into debt again. Her son came from somewhere way up north to take her back with him. It was her protest, maybe her last, for her friends, of limited means, without sons of their own. Our city did that. Manhattan Beach. Over aesthetics.
Recently, friends and incumbents Nick and Richard have said that undergrounding is dead, that the city won't front the costs any more.(A campaign promises caution: we haven't seen that in writing yet, or even agendized for a city council meeting...) Truth is, the July 2008 Supreme Court ruling on Prop 218 and special benefits and assessments put a big damper on it. For now, anyway.
I haven't met Paralusz personally, but I like what I've read and heard from her. But bright and capable, Manhattan Beach already has two attorneys on council - and, in this economy, Wayne Powell IS, after all, the only magna cum laude in finance and accounting, and with 20 years or so city committees and commissions under his belt. Another attorney isn't actually 'needed' to complement paid staff, but I hope Kathleen runs in the future, when her incumbent brother-in-law does not.
PS: There were a couple of other letters to editors decrying the politics of relatives serving together, and on the Breeze website as well. It wasn't just me.
But it was very good to 'see' ya, gal. Ta, and be well!
bev mb

San Jacinto, CA

#14 Feb 26, 2009
sorry - andrea's article did not appear above mine - this is what i was replying to:

http://www.insidesocal.com/southbay/2009/02/m...

Political family-arity in MB
Previous Entry
By Andrea Woodhouse
on February 26, 2009 11:20 AM

The Daily Breeze's op-ed page today has an interesting letter regarding Monday's endorsements for Manhattan Beach City Council election candidates.

In her letter, Bev Morse, a longtime Manhattan resident and one of the nicest ladies you'll ever meet, disagrees with the Breeze's endorsement of Kathleen Paralusz for one of three available City Council seats.

Morse raises an issue that that has popped up in town as the March 3 election nears: Paralusz is the sister-in-law of incumbent Richard Montgomery, who also earned support from the Breeze's editorial board in his re-election bid.

The letter states: "Unfortunately, Kathleen Paralusz, bright and able, is Richard's sister-in-law, and many boards, such as those upon which I've served and presided, frown upon relatives serving together."

Though Montgomery and Paralusz see no problem with their family ties, plenty of people in town have concerns.

So, there had to be someone else who could have written this letter, especially considering that in March 2007, Morse and her husband both ran for City Council before she dropped out of the race, fearing that two Morses on the ballot would split votes.

Elsewhere in the South Bay that year, Redondo Beach saw a husband and wife run for council and City Clerk, respectively. Also, a husband-and-wife team ran for two council seats in Carson.

In a story we wrote about the sudden crop of hitched political candidates, Raphael Sonenshein, a political science professor at Cal State Fullerton said, "Voters tend to apply common sense to things. The voters will probably have to decide -- are they comfortable with this."

And all three pairs lost.
bev m

San Jacinto, CA

#15 Feb 26, 2009
MY REPLY:

Andrea Woodhouse (Feb. 26) is also one of the coolest reporters - ok, ok, lady, too - you'll ever want to meet, and it speaks to astute in her picking up on what seems a contradictory opinion appearing in the Breeze today.

Yup, Steve and I ran together for MB Council in 2007 - but never intended to win - but ran to publicize the hardships of utilities undergrounding for so many in our city. At $500 a filing fee, it was cheaper than paid advertising against undergrounding. Or our lawsuit. A survivor of the Great Depression (the other one), the founder of the Friends of the Library left her home of 60 years, her friends and the community she spent a lifetime building. She would not go into debt again. Her son came from somewhere way up north to take her back with him. It was her protest, maybe her last, for her friends, of limited means, without sons of their own. Our city did that. Manhattan Beach. Over aesthetics.

Recently, friends and incumbents Nick and Richard have said that undergrounding is dead, that the city won't front the costs any more.(A campaign promises caution: we haven't seen that in writing yet, or even agendized for a city council meeting...) Truth is, the July 2008 Supreme Court ruling on Prop 218 and special benefits and assessments put a big damper on it. For now, anyway.

I haven't met Paralusz personally, but I like what I've read and heard from her. But bright and capable, Manhattan Beach already has two attorneys on council - and, in this economy, Wayne Powell IS, after all, the only magna cum laude in finance and accounting, and with 20 years or so city committees and commissions under his belt. Another attorney isn't actually 'needed' to complement paid staff, but I hope Kathleen runs in the future, when her incumbent brother-in-law does not.

PS: There were a couple of other letters to editors decrying the politics of relatives serving together, and on the Breeze website as well. It wasn't just me.

But it was very good to 'see' ya, gal. Ta, and be well!*L*
bev mb

San Jacinto, CA

#16 Feb 26, 2009
uh oh - sorry for repeats! was too impatient :(
bev mb

San Jacinto, CA

#17 Feb 26, 2009
regarding 'another mb resident' above (i notice you remain anonymous): may i quote you?

"and the truth shall set you free...

WOW, how Hippocratic of you Bev."

anonymouse (sp X on purpose), i've been called many things, but hippocratic? huh? perhaps you mean hypocritical? hmmmm. maybe not. after all, wikipedia says (and i quote):

"Hippokrátēs was an ancient Greek physician of the Age of Pericles, and was considered one of the most outstanding figures in the history of medicine. He is referred to as the "father of medicine" in recognition of his lasting contributions to the field as the founder of the Hippocratic school of medicine. This intellectual school revolutionized medicine in ancient Greece, establishing it as a discipline distinct from other fields that it had traditionally been associated with (notably theurgy and philosophy), thus making medicine a profession."

whoever you are, you are still too young to be left to your own advices. lol.
MB Truth

Kula, HI

#18 Feb 26, 2009
"Another MB Resident":

Apologies if I incorrectly associated you with Concerned MB Resident, but your inferences and tone, and jumping to conclusions without really reading the prior postings, made you sound strangely similar. So let my earlier comments remain with Concerned MB Resident.

But to set the record straight, I am not a Wayne Powell supporter, and am pretty much ambivalent as to his candidacy. Not particularly in favor of any of the rest, either.

That said, I don't believe that your "facts" have any particular relevance to Powell's fitness for office, regardless of how they would be answered. Further, you infer lying and malfeasance or impropriety where no lying or malfeasance or impropriety has occurred. That is irresponsible and you are wrong.

Just because someone doesn't want to bother with innuendo does not legitimize the charges. No, yours were not "great points." They were mudslinging points. Sophistry, and not even good sophistry.
Correction

Playa Del Rey, CA

#19 Feb 26, 2009
Another MB Resident wrote:
and the truth shall set you free...
WOW, how Hippocratic of you Bev. How short your memory must be! Only 2 years ago YOU ran for the same city council seat WITH YOUR HUSBAND!! Yes, the man that you live with and share everything with. I guess it was ok then? Sounds like you have become bitter since both of you lost.
Help enlighten me about Wayne:
As he continues to repeat, he has 25 years of financial expertise but where is he currently employed? There is no mention that he has current employment!
If Wayne is so eager about helping our schools, where was he last night when the school board, teachers and parents needed participation and support from our community leaders about the cuts needed for the Budget? Montgomery, Tell, Paralusz, Cohen and Ward were there. He needs to set his priorities straight if he gets elected.
Why was he unsuccessful at acquiring ANY of the school board member’s endorsements? The same goes for any of the current council members.
As noted in an earlier blog, why did Wayne post his campaign sign at the Manhattan Academy (School) only weeks after he and the planning commission unanimously approved their expansion? "Is this an example of quid pro quo for a favorable decision for the applicant or merely poor judgment on the school's (and Commissioner Powell's part)?" taken from Chris in an earlier topix blog.
Why was it that once he declared he was running for council, that he also started wearing a wedding ring?
As far as partisan goes....
Why was Wayne a guest speaker for the publicly advertised Manhattan Beach Republican Women Federated candidate meeting (only Republican candidates were invited to speak)? Did you know that MBRWF is affiliated with the National Federation of Republican Women (NFRW) the largest all-women political organization in the world! As stated on their website,“your membership (on the MBRWF) is a great way to meet people with similar interests and views while helping to spread the message of the Republican Party”. But he is non-partisan right?
What happened to Wayne's website beachbum2 ? Why did it change hands right before he declared he was running for Council? It has been completely wiped off the Internet. Was there material on it that he didn't want us to see (picture of him with Hooters girls)?
While educating yourselves on attacking other candidates you should do some research on your own!
This is all outragous libelous fraudulent lies! How dare you defame him with all this garbage! You out to be ashamed of yourself on behalf of your candidate Kathleen Paralusz! Have you no decency? Tell the truth or just stay off of the blog!!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Seriously

AOL

#20 Feb 27, 2009
I'm appalled at some of the responses on the board. I'm extremely dissappointed to see that my fellow community members would engage in such a distasteful forum. Instead of slandering the candidates, why don't YOU run for city council yourself? Then again, maybe you have and it didn't work out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Inglewood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Body found as thousands flee California wildfires 21 min mehdi mountather 1
Review: Pro Elim Photo Photography (Nov '14) 14 hr Kristen 5
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 17 hr OMTE 20,386
Trump 18 hr Patrick Aei 2
election best candidate trupp 18 hr Patrick Aei 2
Donald Trump's star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame Sat Jane 1
General Question on Finding my grandparents att... Fri Richard 3

Inglewood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Inglewood Mortgages