Thinking of moving to Portland, TX

Posted in the Ingleside Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
FoodGuy

Murfreesboro, TN

#1 Feb 10, 2009
Currently living in Lansing, MI. Need to get away from the bad economy, winter freeze, and consistent crime. I am just wonder about the general quality of life, crime level, and job market for the area. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Mathis Insider

United States

#2 Feb 12, 2009
not sure about job market, but all the others are GREAT!
d roberson

Mcallen, TX

#3 Feb 25, 2009
FoodGuy wrote:
Currently living in Lansing, MI. Need to get away from the bad economy, winter freeze, and consistent crime. I am just wonder about the general quality of life, crime level, and job market for the area. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Food guy, I grew up in portland, texas and it is a wonderful place with low crime, beautiful weather, and right on the coast. The job market is okay but if your are in the service industry, there should be no probl em finding a job. Housing is inexpensive compared to other areas of the country. I am considering moving back to portland because it is a great, quiet place to live.
Chris

Rockford, IL

#4 Mar 26, 2009
Planning to move to portland need help in finding a place to rent more likely need a house with 3 bedrooms and have teenagers need to look for jobs for them and slo have a college student dont know where to start from do you have any suggestions .
Marybel

Alice, TX

#5 Mar 31, 2009
Portland is a great place to live. There are plenty of houses to rent or buy at low prices. There are jobs here for teenagers especially in the summer with the kids camp, pool, and other areas. Your college student can go to Del Mar or Texas A&M Corpus Christi.
Monique Ahlers

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Apr 6, 2009
I was born and raised here in Portland, TX. I love it. To me, it is the best community on the Gulf Coast. Schools are great, people are friendly and it is just beautiful. I am a REALTOR here and yes there are plenty of homes to choose from and prices are great!
SomeOne

San Antonio, TX

#7 Apr 28, 2009
I used to DJ dance parties in Portland at the community center. Decent little town. I moved away from the area because the job market in the IT field is pretty slow.
wanna vote

Odessa, TX

#8 May 1, 2009
great community activities,nice weather, awesome cultures diversification ,close to CC,ingleside,taft,gregory,sint on,port aransas,rockport, and flour bluff. There is colleges nearby and Ocean bay view of incoming hurricanes. All other events just type in portlandtexas.com or look up in wiki encyclopedia it provides graphical stats.
move to taft

Odessa, TX

#9 May 2, 2009
the center of the world in a geographical sense. You can literally see all surrounding towns at night.
taxpayer

Ingleside, TX

#10 May 12, 2009
actaully the taxes are bad in Portland. The price of a decent size home is over priced. You can find a bigger home on the southside of Corpus for the same price as a 1500 sq ft home in Portland. It is a great town to live in, but if you want a bigger home, the southside is the way to go.
Jennifer Garcia

Houston, TX

#11 Jun 3, 2009
Use to live in Sinton now I live in houston thinking of moving back but I dont want to move back to Sinton would like to live in Portland my question is how are the schools? And my daughter plays soccer so is there soccer in High school?
Sam R

Crisfield, MD

#12 Jun 25, 2009
I just recently moved to portland tx and it is wonderful. my fiance works at the northshore country club and everyone around is extremely friendly and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. the weather is amazing! i really think you would enjoy it.
My Portland

Burleson, TX

#13 Aug 21, 2009
I love my Portland....A little expensive but you get what you pay for...Crime is low with a great Police Department, friendly neighbors, CLEAN streets
freckles

Corpus Christi, TX

#14 Sep 7, 2010
Yaeh right, there are homewreckers in Portland. Always wanting other women's husbands and thats the truth.
What poorland tExAs

United States

#15 Sep 8, 2010
i would nt moved their if my life depended on it! the mascot is a crazy angry cat and all the players belong to the favored political groomers. no wonder favortism is God. oh by the way some good fishing there. Beautiful HEB and store leaders:<
Think please

United States

#16 Nov 22, 2010
We loved in Portland for about 20 years. The taxes were just too high. Soccer in the gulf coast is weak. There is a soccer program at the school,but there are no good trainers in the area...that is, if your daughter or son wants to play college ball. I liked living there, but the kids are very "cliqueish" and it is hard for a new student to make friends. I know because I worked in the school system. I saw it first-hand. Now, you may have a great experience, but I just wanted to let you know what I experienced.
The town doesn't have a Center..courthouse and such. It isn't very pretty..however, by the water the housing is nice. There is a nice golf course. When we sold our home we DID NOT make a profit, but noone is making one anywhere these days!
Clarrissa Lee Moon

United States

#17 Apr 29, 2011
Hello there!
I am moving to Texas from Tucson, Arizona. I'll be selling my home here and need to buy something...anything there.... near or in Corpus Christi.
My publisher wants me near the city or IN the city where I have a lot of my scenes in my series I am writing. My books have just been published with World Castle, I have no idea how much my royalties will be, but I do have one check that is 674 a month..fixed...
I'll have roughly 10k to buy something there once i sell my home here.
I have no idea if you can help with me starting on and with so little for now, but with having to move so fast before I start on book six and seven this is all I have to work with at this time. I dont mind living in a fixer upper for now. I can always fix it, save up my royalty checks and sell that and buy something bigger and nicer. Thats the plan, but to start with we'll have to keep it humble...for now. ;-)
My goal is to have a house on Padre Island in three years...oh yeah!LOL
getting one on lighthouse dr would be ironic...you'd have to read my books to get that inside joke LOL
However, I JUST got published and my credit sucks..low 500's I think..I HATE to rent. and my monthly check, as I said, is 674...that wont change. I know it will be hard getting me and my boys and my dogs a place to live by august in one of these "good for the time being" type of places, but we have to do the best we can:-)
Corpus Christi of course,
second perferred place ...Portland.
3. aransas pass or port aransas
4. rockport
5. ingleside
6. gregory...maybe...not happy about this one for some reason but hey we are just starting out...all over again...ughhhh
I would like to be able to just pay a place off if something has been foreclosed on or someone looking to get out of something fast...you never know...it can happen:-)
a fixer would be ok
a fence a plus since I do have four dogs.
something where I can see the ocean ...even if its in the long distance..I'd be happy.
Easy commute to C.C. for research work and jobs for my boys...most are young adults now. I have one 17yr old left:-)
no close neighbors would be a HUGE plus with me:-)
My boys and I do rock the house with our drums and guitars in the garage. Bugs my nieghbors here...I'll bet they'll be glad to see us go LMAO
I'll have 10k cash to do something with..it will be temporary until I get enough for my royalties, then I'll be upgrading and calling my favorite number one realtor to sell what I got and find me something better until I get to my number one goal of living on Padre Island...and believe me...I will get there:-)
I'm determined that way LOL
2bd min. with enough space I can put on an addition for my boys. I have three. If there isnt room now we will make it have room:-)
but need land space to work with. a garage would be nice for our cars, motorcycles and band equipment. if not, then enough land space to put one on. or make a small one bigger like we did here.
That was option A I can work with
option B...
enough land cheap enough with water and gas, electrical bhooks up what not and I'll buy a trailer and build my garage. Enough land and you can do anything. but the land and trailer and moving of said trailer would have to fit the budget of 10k
unless you're a miracle worker and can get me a loan where my monthly payments dont exceed 250...300 on the safe side...and use the 10k as a down...thats option c but I doubt it. unless an owner is willing to carry? who knows, it could happen...anything is possible after all ;-)
any other questions..ask:)
Any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time! even if you cant.
[email protected]
Clarrissa Moon author of The Nightwolves Series and Celeste's Nites Novelette's at Amazon.com
http://clarrissamoon.blogspot.com/
Proud Member of Paranormal Romance Guild
http://www.paranormalromanceguild.com/
http://www.clarrissaleemoonauthor.com/
http://www.worldcastlepublishing.com/
Clarrissa Lee Moon

United States

#18 Apr 29, 2011
Hello there!
I am moving to Texas from Tucson, Arizona. I'll be selling my home here and need to buy something...anything there.... near or in Corpus Christi.
My publisher wants me near the city or IN the city where I have a lot of my scenes in my series I am writing. My books have just been published with World Castle, I have no idea how much my royalties will be, but I do have one check that is 674 a month..fixed...
I'll have roughly 10k to buy something there once i sell my home here.
I have no idea if you can help with me starting on and with so little for now, but with having to move so fast before I start on book six and seven this is all I have to work with at this time. I dont mind living in a fixer upper for now. I can always fix it, save up my royalty checks and sell that and buy something bigger and nicer. Thats the plan, but to start with we'll have to keep it humble...for now. ;-)
My goal is to have a house on Padre Island in three years...oh yeah!LOL
getting one on lighthouse dr would be ironic...you'd have to read my books to get that inside joke LOL
However, I JUST got published and my credit sucks..low 500's I think..I HATE to rent. and my monthly check, as I said, is 674...that wont change. I know it will be hard getting me and my boys and my dogs a place to live by august in one of these "good for the time being" type of places, but we have to do the best we can:-)
Corpus Christi of course, second perferred place ...Portland.
3. aransas pass or port aransas
4. rockport
5. ingleside
6. gregory...maybe...not happy about this one for some reason but hey we are just starting out...all over again...ughh
I would like to be able to just pay a place off if something has been foreclosed on or someone looking to get out of something fast...you never know...it can happen:-)
a fixer would be ok
a fence a plus since I do have four dogs.
something where I can see the ocean ...even if its in the long distance..I'd be happy.
Easy commute to C.C. for research work and jobs for my boys...most are young adults now. I have one 17yr old left:-)
no close neighbors would be a HUGE plus with me:-)
My boys and I do rock the house with our drums and guitars in the garage. Bugs my nieghbors here...I'll bet they'll be glad to see us go LMAO
I'll have 10k cash to do something with..it will be temporary until I get enough for my royalties, then I'll be upgrading and calling my favorite number one realtor to sell what I got and find me something better until I get to my number one goal of living on Padre Island...and believe me...I will get there:-)
I'm determined that way LOL
2bd min. with enough space I can put on an addition for my boys. I have three. If there isnt room now we will make it have room:-)
but need land space to work with. a garage would be nice for our cars, motorcycles and band equipment. if not, then enough land space to put one on. or make a small one bigger like we did here.

That was option A I can work with

option B...
enough land cheap enough with water and gas, electrical bhooks up what not and I'll buy a trailer and build my garage. Enough land and you can do anything. but the land and trailer and moving of said trailer would have to fit the budget of 10k
unless you're a miracle worker and can get me a loan where my monthly payments dont exceed 250...300 on the safe side...and use the 10k as a down...thats option c but I doubt it. unless an owner is willing to carry? who knows, it could happen...anything is possible after all ;-)
Any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time! even if you cant.
Clarrissa Moon author of The Nightwolves Series and Celeste's Nites Novelette's at Amazon.com
http://clarrissamoon.blogspot.com/
Proud Member of Paranormal Romance Guild
http://www.paranormalromanceguild.com/
http://www.clarrissaleemoonauthor.com/
http://www.worldcastlepublishing.com/
Clarrissa Lee Moon

United States

#19 Apr 29, 2011
drat sorry, getting used to new buttons to work with. I really hate technology sometimes LOL
concerned_mother

United States

#20 May 22, 2011
My Portland wrote:
I love my Portland....A little expensive but you get what you pay for...Crime is low with a great Police Department, friendly neighbors, CLEAN streets
I grew up there never had one problem, I have a grandchild who was a witness to a officer who was doing things he shouldn't during a arrest, I don't have all the details, my kid got pepper sprayed- on accident im sure, but kids at scene and he wasn't the only one. scene safety first?, but it makes me wonder why crime is so low or does it get swept under? people told me about stuff like this, but then its never hit home like this,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ingleside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News North Texas woman reported missing found safe 4... Thu MissingPhartss 1
Who is hiring welders or pupefitters in portland?? Mar 22 skinnypete 2
Chief of Police King Merritt (Mar '08) Mar 20 Terd 76
Portland tip your shipt shopper!! Mar 20 Sandy 1
Jesse Galvan Mar 19 skinnypete 2
New in town Mar 19 Sandy 1
%%j255aer11fa3e2 Mar 16 Servus Dei 1

Ingleside Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance