Big Pay Raise For Don Blankenship

Big Pay Raise For Don Blankenship

Posted in the Inez Forum

HMMM

Prestonsburg, KY

#1 Jan 8, 2010
Massey hikes potential payout for CEO
CHARLESTON, W.Va.(AP)— Coal producer Massey Energy Co. is upping Chief Executive Don Blankenship’s already substantial compensation package.
Blankenship’s latest employment agreement makes the high-profile CEO eligible for larger cash and stock performance bonuses, according to a recent Securities and Exchange Commission filing. The document also extends Blankenship’s contract to two years. He had been working under a series of one-year deals.
Richmond, Va.-based Massey had no immediate comment Thursday.
Blankenship’s salary stays at just under $1 million a year, though the agreement acknowledges a 10 percent pay cut he took in May. Massey imposed the salary cut on its executive ranks after cutting wages for rank and file workers approximately 6 percent as it tried to contain costs in the face of crumbling demand for energy.
The agreement also increases the size of Blankenship’s performance bonuses. For instance, Blankenship’s potential cash bonus was increased from the $900,000 outlined in his last agreement to $1.5 million this year and next.
The new deal also offers numerous opportunities for Blankenship to earn Massey stock. For instance, he can receive the right to 81,500 shares for hitting one set of performance targets this year and 32,250 more for achieving another set. Blankenship’s targets include financial results, sales volumes, costs, safety performance and reducing environmental violations, according to the filing.
Stock typically accounts for the bulk of Blankenship’s compensation, which The Associated Press calculated totaled $19.7 million in 2008 — a 17 percent decrease from the year before. Massey’s stock fell 61 percent in 2008, ending the year at $13.79. Shares of Massey ended 2009 at $42.01.
Figures providing the basis for Blankenship’s 2009 compensation have not been released yet.
The AP calculated the 2008 compensation of Peabody Energy Chief Executive Greg Boyce, whose St. Louis-based company dwarfs Massey, at $7.5 million. Likewise, Brett Harvey, chief executive of Canonsburg, Pa.-based Consol Energy, received an estimated $12 million in compensation in 2008.
What about his dedicated men, looks like they have been crapped on again, but of course they have no back bone so they wont do anything about it
sampson

Prestonsburg, KY

#2 Jan 9, 2010
you got that right, the coal miners around here have NO BACKBONE!!! They are the biggest bunch of cowards there is! How can they take their lives and trust them to a man who cares about nothing but himself? They say they are oh so brave by going under the mountain, but then they crawl at Dons feet for a bone. Thats hilarious to me. So keep on sucking after big Don boys, you all deserve everything he is doing to you because you all are too scared to stand up and say ENOUGH! And by the way, all you 3rd, 4th, and 5th generation coal miners, your ancestors are turning over in their graves because you are giving away EVRYTHING they ever fought and won for you.
HMMM

Prestonsburg, KY

#3 Jan 9, 2010
What's the matter all you big coal sucks got nothing to say to this post???? Where are all of you brown nosers?? Truth hurt does it???
COP

Charleston, WV

#4 Jan 9, 2010
Tell you how to strike fear in Blankenship....UMWA the miners need to get their back bone back and refuse to work while that SOn of a Bitch takes on more money while his workers take a pay cut..Nows the time its your time...Take a Stand for your families and your kids....VOTE THE UNION BACK IN WE SUPPORT U 100 percent
oh man

Prestonsburg, KY

#5 Jan 9, 2010
THAT is a shame, is that what happend? He gots that huge raise while the hard labours took a pay cut? But ahhwww..... sounds like they were saying he was underpaid! And so deserving of it!
HMMM

Prestonsburg, KY

#6 Jan 10, 2010
Heeellloooooo wheres all the coal hogs, you know the ones on here blasting mick mccoy for protesting??? where are all you sucks??? can't defend the coal man now can ya??? suck on your bone on payday, try to make it last 2 weeks, then remember how he is living, then take a look around, big difference isn't there? Get a backbone people. As the "COP" said, "NOW IS YOUR TIME", STAND UP AND DEFEND YOUR FAMILIES!! The public will stand with you in your fight for equality. Oh but I forget, you all cant stand going a week or more without runnin to WalMart. just remeber folks, most families are just 2 weeks away from homelessness, what will you do when he puts you in that position??
HMMM

Prestonsburg, KY

#7 Jan 10, 2010
yep thats what i thought, cowards.
coal miners wife

Charleston, WV

#8 Jan 10, 2010
THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT A COAL MINER THAT IS A COWARD. THEY HAVE TO DO WHAT THEY CAN TO SUPPORT THEIR FAMILIES. ANYONE THAT DOES WHAT THE COALMINERS DO DESERVE A LOT MORE RESPECT THAN TO BE CALLED COWARDS. WHAT DO YOU DO ANYWAY.... SIT ON THE COUCH AND DRAW A CHECK?
HMMM

Prestonsburg, KY

#9 Jan 10, 2010
coal miners wife wrote:
THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT A COAL MINER THAT IS A COWARD. THEY HAVE TO DO WHAT THEY CAN TO SUPPORT THEIR FAMILIES. ANYONE THAT DOES WHAT THE COALMINERS DO DESERVE A LOT MORE RESPECT THAN TO BE CALLED COWARDS. WHAT DO YOU DO ANYWAY.... SIT ON THE COUCH AND DRAW A CHECK?
Nope, I have worked all my life even through college. You right on one point, they are brave enough to take their lives into their own hands and climb under that mtn., the ones I am calling out as cowards are the ones who get on here and blast other people for standing up for something they believe in. If you would have read the entire post, you would see this is about Don Blankenship continuing to get richer and richer as YOUR family keeps getting poorer and poorer. Trust me I was raised by coal and still continue to depend on coal, BUT, I am educated enough to know when something is wrong with this situation. I know my ancestors would be livid at the situation and would fight till their dying breath to see that they were treated better than what the miners are now. Remember they did die fighting for the betterment of coal mining and the coal miners today are throwing everything they fought and DIED for away. Thats a SHAME! And you say they are doing what they can to support their familes, well how are they gonna support their families when Don keeps on and on taking more away from their families everytime you turn around? What are you gonna do then? There comes a point when these men and women will either have to stand up to the coal barons or they will own your a$$ like they did in the 1800's. You all are going to have to make this choice sooner than later, so your best bet is to start canning and puttng out a garden because hard times are really coming for the coal miners in this area.
Jim Meade

Charleston, WV

#10 Jan 16, 2010
Im running for Magistrate in Dist 2 here in Martin CO and Massey has there Property here in my dist. Im all about workers and their familes. Its time you take a stand for ur wages and your families and your future. I stand with you and your families if theres anything that i can do to help plz let me know. I need your help and your vote to make a change here in Martin Co working together I think we can make a positive change here in Martin CO for you and your families.
Its sad to see Don Blankenship continues to slap your faces while your taking pay cuts. If you have ever been down around Todd Case Trucking you would see Don Dons Big Motor home was parked down to Mr Cases Trucking Garage for a long time. Seems like Mr Case will do anything Don needs to just keep his trucks rolling. Mr Case takes Mr Blankenship motor home to all the races Blankenships son races in. He Takes the motor home cooks just what ever Don Don wants Todd Does...Seems kinda funny eveyone takes a pay cut including drivers but the CEOS seem to always get a pay raise. Its time we take a stand against these practices. Remember if a truck delivered it your enjoying the benefits from it from Gas To Electricity to the Goods you bye in your stores today. Take a Stand Stop the Trucks bring the county to a Halt I stand with the miners and truckers...Its a New Day a New Way and our Voices will be heard..I stand with you I hope you look into the faces of your children because its them these acts Effect. Can you explain why daddy took a pay cut and other fat cats took a big time pay raise..ITS SIMPLE THEY LAUGH AT US. I need your vote and your Support JIM MEADE
oh yeah

Prestonsburg, KY

#11 Jan 16, 2010
Jim Meade wrote:
Im running for Magistrate in Dist 2 here in Martin CO and Massey has there Property here in my dist. Im all about workers and their familes. Its time you take a stand for ur wages and your families and your future. I stand with you and your families if theres anything that i can do to help plz let me know. I need your help and your vote to make a change here in Martin Co working together I think we can make a positive change here in Martin CO for you and your families.
Its sad to see Don Blankenship continues to slap your faces while your taking pay cuts. If you have ever been down around Todd Case Trucking you would see Don Dons Big Motor home was parked down to Mr Cases Trucking Garage for a long time. Seems like Mr Case will do anything Don needs to just keep his trucks rolling. Mr Case takes Mr Blankenship motor home to all the races Blankenships son races in. He Takes the motor home cooks just what ever Don Don wants Todd Does...Seems kinda funny eveyone takes a pay cut including drivers but the CEOS seem to always get a pay raise. Its time we take a stand against these practices. Remember if a truck delivered it your enjoying the benefits from it from Gas To Electricity to the Goods you bye in your stores today. Take a Stand Stop the Trucks bring the county to a Halt I stand with the miners and truckers...Its a New Day a New Way and our Voices will be heard..I stand with you I hope you look into the faces of your children because its them these acts Effect. Can you explain why daddy took a pay cut and other fat cats took a big time pay raise..ITS SIMPLE THEY LAUGH AT US. I need your vote and your Support JIM MEADE
thats the way it is jim that is the way it is. do you think you could maybe contact the governor about these high electric bills? mine is almost 5oo dollars this month poor people don't have a chance.
Jim Meade

Charleston, WV

#12 Jan 16, 2010
Im so sorry Oh yeah..Yes I would be more than willing to try to help the people of my district please let me know. Its terrible that they can do all this and just take a 34% increase in Electic Bills. We are hurting here and I know first hand what is like with the only one working here. Times are very tuff.Yes Im more than willing to take our fight not only to the Govenor but to the steps of the US Capital if we have too.Its time to take a stand.
Teresa Grisco Meade

Charleston, WV

#13 Jan 19, 2010
It looks like Don Blakenship made the Feb. 2010 issue of "Rolling Stone" magizine....I liked the quote "Don Blakenship is like a villian out of comic book" This quote hit the nail on the head
donny

Bumpass, VA

#15 May 11, 2013
COP wrote:
Tell you how to strike fear in Blankenship....UMWA the miners need to get their back bone back and refuse to work while that SOn of a Bitch takes on more money while his workers take a pay cut..Nows the time its your time...Take a Stand for your families and your kids....VOTE THE UNION BACK IN WE SUPPORT U 100 percent
you forget one thing by posting this !!!!!!!!!! ky is a right to work state "a republican plan" to get all unions out for good but keep believing the lies and the so called war on coal.......... research alittle and see why coal really crashed this lasdt time natural gas was the culprit not the black man in office but rednecks will jump on it if a black man might be taking their jobs away.........but obamas new policys don't even take effect for 2 more yrs but republicans used war on coal to try and win the election and some dumbazzes fell for it
huh

Prestonsburg, KY

#16 May 14, 2013
donny wrote:
<quoted text>you forget one thing by posting this !!!!!!!!!! ky is a right to work state "a republican plan" to get all unions out for good but keep believing the lies and the so called war on coal.......... research alittle and see why coal really crashed this lasdt time natural gas was the culprit not the black man in office but rednecks will jump on it if a black man might be taking their jobs away.........but obamas new policys don't even take effect for 2 more yrs but republicans used war on coal to try and win the election and some dumbazzes fell for it
It seems like every single thing even down to a psycho killing kids and people at the marathon is all obama, people praise bush but as i remember the last few years he was in office people were saying the wish they had never voted for him, if the higher ups had not sent men into the mines knowing that there could be explosions due to gases maybe there would not have been any problems, lets not forget all those men who were killed because of greed and looking over violations, i dont believe obama is they fault for crazy people or a lot of things hes blamed for, i really dont think he stood a chance from the start because he is black and everything he has tried to do the republicans has stopped him
huh

Prestonsburg, KY

#17 May 14, 2013
donny wrote:
<quoted text>you forget one thing by posting this !!!!!!!!!! ky is a right to work state "a republican plan" to get all unions out for good but keep believing the lies and the so called war on coal.......... research alittle and see why coal really crashed this lasdt time natural gas was the culprit not the black man in office but rednecks will jump on it if a black man might be taking their jobs away.........but obamas new policys don't even take effect for 2 more yrs but republicans used war on coal to try and win the election and some dumbazzes fell for it
This country was crashing before he took office and maybe he has made mistakes but we are feeling what has taken years to where we are right now with the hardships, just look folks, if you have a computer u have lots of info on the net, i was on e told by someone " i dont like that there obama" when i asked why i was told "cuz he took that there stimulus check" well that come from someone who did not work and draws a check, which by the way the republicans wanted to take rather than tax rich people like themselves and don blankenship, Obama has made mistakes that i admit but every bad thing that happens is not him its the crazys that make their own decisions

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Inez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Inez Shoprite (May '15) 57 min Forgethim 51
Martin county water 14 hr Heval 1
magistatae district 1 19 hr Heval 5
Hot girls Martin County Jan 17 Nebert 5
The James Family (Jul '10) Jan 16 Linda oliverii 15
Lexie preece Jan 16 Caleb 3
Debord Music Thread (Jun '16) Jan 16 Musikologist 3

Inez Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Inez Mortgages