Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
63,341 - 63,360 of 81,602 Comments Last updated 12 hrs ago

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#72803 Oct 18, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I can remember lots of things from childhood. Snow cream for one that we dare not eat anymore. It was made with fresh snow and Watkin's vanilla extract. An old peddler would come by selling Watkin's products which included the vanilla and liniment. He sold lots of other stuff including needles and thread. He also sold Knapp shoes which were comfortable work brograns.
Then there was "Hadacol" that predated Geritol that the old folks took as a "pick me up". It was discontinued after they found out it contained 98% booze. No wonder it made them feel better. LOL
Before there was instant coffee, there was "Postum" which was just a warm drink similar to coffee.
Girls made hair curlers out of pieces of tin cans rolled in rags. They rubbed the red juice from overripe "poke" plants on their lips as lipstick.
Wow! That takes me down to memory lane. I remembered all except the "poke" plants. Are they plants indigenous to this region. I am not sure what they are. I do have weeds that I pull (for therapy), Some of these plants have very bright magenta coloring, which stains clothes and hands if you get into them.(I found out the hard way). Are these the plants that you are referring to?
raven

Evansdale, IA

#72804 Oct 18, 2012
@ Oglala believe it or not , if you have a Wal-mart that's were you'll find agave( light, med., dark). Should be with sugar, confectioner's sugar, baking goods. Sorry for butting in.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72805 Oct 18, 2012
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! That takes me down to memory lane. I remembered all except the "poke" plants. Are they plants indigenous to this region. I am not sure what they are. I do have weeds that I pull (for therapy), Some of these plants have very bright magenta coloring, which stains clothes and hands if you get into them.(I found out the hard way). Are these the plants that you are referring to?
Fresh growth young poke was picked and cooked as greens and generally mixed with mustard, kale, or dandelion greens. Remember the song "Poke Salat Annie" ?

It generally grows in fence rows and such. Yes it is indigenous to Kentucky. The overripe poke has red berries that will stain everything. The girls were just careful to use the berries on the lips, usually jabbing the berries with a willow switch and rubbing the berry on their lips. Birds eat the berries and make a mess.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72807 Oct 18, 2012
Elvis called it "polk salad" but around here, we always called it "poke salat".

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#72809 Oct 18, 2012
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I never heard of agave. Where can I purchase it? Health food store??
Believe this or not, Walmart has it. It's right by the bags of granulated sugar, usually on the shelves above the bags.

The brand I have in the pantry right now is called "Madhava". I had to buy the lite this time because they were out of the dark that I like. It comes in a clear squeeze bottle with a yellow top. I think it's only around three bucks and some change per bottle. Not bad, if you ask me. It goes a long way.

It's a bit thinner than honey but just about as sweet, without that raw 'bite' that honey sometimes has. It's more of a mild sweetness, if that makes sense.....

Hope you like it!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#72811 Oct 18, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I can remember lots of things from childhood. Snow cream for one that we dare not eat anymore. It was made with fresh snow and Watkin's vanilla extract. An old peddler would come by selling Watkin's products which included the vanilla and liniment. He sold lots of other stuff including needles and thread. He also sold Knapp shoes which were comfortable work brograns.

Then there was "Hadacol" that predated Geritol that the old folks took as a "pick me up". It was discontinued after they found out it contained 98% booze. No wonder it made them feel better. LOL

Before there was instant coffee, there was "Postum" which was just a warm drink similar to coffee.

Girls made hair curlers out of pieces of tin cans rolled in rags. They rubbed the red juice from overripe "poke" plants on their lips as lipstick.
Great memories. Do you remember the Fuller Brush salesman

#72812 Oct 18, 2012
raven wrote:
@ Oglala believe it or not , if you have a Wal-mart that's were you'll find agave( light, med., dark). Should be with sugar, confectioner's sugar, baking goods. Sorry for butting in.
Ditto. Thanks Raven!

I don't usually like to shop at WalMart, but I will when I have to pick up prescriptions just to save gas and a second trip out.. I was happily surprised when I found it there.

#72813 Oct 18, 2012
My mom used to cook poke for us once in a while when she could find some in the yard. She was always too afraid of snakes to go too far out, lol. But she always said the mature poke was poison. So I've not tried to pick any in years. I forgot what to look for. Do you only pick the tender parts or what? Can you help me AW??
Georgia on my mind

Alpharetta, GA

#72815 Oct 18, 2012
Whoa, I can see by the gaps the topix mods have done a great job leaving comments people are interested in. I have enjoyed getting caught up. You good folks keep it up. Things are rough out there in the world and we each need all the help we can to be prepared for it. Just like the thunderstorms moving across the state. It is helpful to know. Really enjoyed the survival tips and always enjoy Ancient Wolf, lala, Hempburn, Nope and Abeliever's comments. Hope you can continue to post without all the fouls comments. This is so much better. I hope you all enjoy your night. Going to be nasty tomorrow/night. Rain, wind and possibly sleet. Yes, I said sleet. Hate those "s" words for weather. Unless of course it is Springlike weather. hehe

#72816 Oct 18, 2012
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I sure do! My Dad even sold Kirby vacuum cleaners door to door on the weekends. Made a good buck doing it too. These days a job like that might get ya shot....
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72818 Oct 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
My mom used to cook poke for us once in a while when she could find some in the yard. She was always too afraid of snakes to go too far out, lol. But she always said the mature poke was poison. So I've not tried to pick any in years. I forgot what to look for. Do you only pick the tender parts or what? Can you help me AW??
You only pick the leaves from the young plants, no stems or once they develop the berries they should be avoided. Usually mixed with some other greens, I especially liked them with turnip greens and a piece of fat back (salt pork).

#72819 Oct 18, 2012
Georgia on my mind wrote:
Whoa, I can see by the gaps the topix mods have done a great job leaving comments people are interested in. I have enjoyed getting caught up. You good folks keep it up. Things are rough out there in the world and we each need all the help we can to be prepared for it. Just like the thunderstorms moving across the state. It is helpful to know. Really enjoyed the survival tips and always enjoy Ancient Wolf, lala, Hempburn, Nope and Abeliever's comments. Hope you can continue to post without all the fouls comments. This is so much better. I hope you all enjoy your night. Going to be nasty tomorrow/night. Rain, wind and possibly sleet. Yes, I said sleet. Hate those "s" words for weather. Unless of course it is Springlike weather. hehe
Oh my word. Not sleet?? Brrrrr! TOO SOON!!
Please stick around and talk to us for a while if you'd like! And yes, things are changing on this thread finally. It took some doin', but we got 'er did!!
:)
raven

Evansdale, IA

#72820 Oct 18, 2012
My Mom fixes poke with fried onions. Get those onions all cartelized and that poke. and what makes it better ... cornbread ;)
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72821 Oct 18, 2012
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but later when we had moved into town.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#72823 Oct 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
You should guess someone with a name like hempburn would know a little about plants,,lol, so yes polk is somewhat toxic, but the poision is found on the outside of the leaves, so as you mentioned the older leaves would contain much higher levels of these unwanted chemicals,, you would have to eat a lot to get sick, but the young leaves are washed two or three times, then cooked and are perfectly safe. One item of interest is the US constitution was written with ink made from the polk berries. I let it grow big so the birds can eat the berries, the pileated woodpecker is very found of them.

#72825 Oct 18, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
You only pick the leaves from the young plants, no stems or once they develop the berries they should be avoided. Usually mixed with some other greens, I especially liked them with turnip greens and a piece of fat back (salt pork).
Okay, that's what she used to say. Got'cha.

Raven, your momma must be a good cook!! I love homemade cornbread and greens. Might make some tomorrow now I think. YUM!
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72827 Oct 18, 2012
I would like to have a big portion of collards. @ Raven.. Funny you mentioned fried onions, I fixed some of those about an hour ago and had them on corn bread with bacon. yummy.

#72828 Oct 18, 2012
Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
You should guess someone with a name like hempburn would know a little about plants,,lol, so yes polk is somewhat toxic, but the poision is found on the outside of the leaves, so as you mentioned the older leaves would contain much higher levels of these unwanted chemicals,, you would have to eat a lot to get sick, but the young leaves are washed two or three times, then cooked and are perfectly safe. One item of interest is the US constitution was written with ink made from the polk berries. I let it grow big so the birds can eat the berries, the pileated woodpecker is very found of them.
Thanks Hemp!! Much appreciated. Hope you're having a good evening too?
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72834 Oct 18, 2012
Yep, sure did. I even helped him build a boat but he did not listen. I told him we ought to leave the monkeys behind.
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#72835 Oct 18, 2012
Well that was quick, he left before I could tell him about Noah.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Inez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 27 min FYI 2,037
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Reality 151,442
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 4 hr someone 16,148
mark bowen (Dec '13) 17 hr CM Punk 13
Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 22 hr Interested 681
shoprite fight Mon noname 26
hermator Sun get real 16
•••
•••
•••

Inez Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Inez People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE