Judge overturns California's ban on s...

Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 201854 comments on the www.cnn.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#185127 Mar 28, 2013
Number7 wrote:
Why has number 7 plastic come up?
Because if you are using it to consume food or beverage it's sloughing off poisons to your body.
creates more jobs when people die

Elk Grove, CA

#185128 Mar 28, 2013
hemp for telelgraphs wrote:
remember people....
government has SHRUNK during Obamas tenure....
it bloomed during BUsh's
You need to pull your head out of MadCow's butt. Or is it Maddow?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#185129 Mar 28, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Tax breaks like GE HOllywood and the rich.(Obama)
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/07/13/5...
You are a perfect example of why republicans will no longer be able to win national elections.

As long as they are only catering to the ignorant and uninformed their constituency is rapidly dwindling, as the leader of the your party has already stated, they have to stop being the party of stupid.

Until they shed you folks and get serious, they are lost
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#185130 Mar 28, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Itís funny, neither of these rulings will have any effect on me, my family, and very few people that I even happen to know
But I am on the edge of my seat watching this, the advance of freedom, justice and equality.
It has been an interesting few days
it i interesting. never, in either of our lives, did my partner & i imagine the prospect of being able to legally marry & have it recognized in our home state of texas.

things are looking more promising. several friends are already planning weddings. that's a bit premature for me though.

i am wondering about the DOMA results - with respect to state's rights. will it be sweeping enough to set an across the states' rule? or will the laws have to be chipped away in each state? the findings and ruling will decide that, probably in june.

i've heard many say that the woman central to the case (plaintiff) as being likened to rosa parks. this is a watershed case, no matter if you're a conservative or a liberal.

the whole process is fascinating. i hope someday to be able to sit in on one of those hearings just to get the feel in person how our process works - and has worked for over two centuries. so many people scoff at the judges - but they were put on the bench same method as every other SCOTUS judge for 200+ yrs...and it's been effective all those yrs. we may not all agree all the time with all the rulings, but it is what it is. it's the best method on earth and i'm grateful to be a citizen of america - and to be here, now, in this moment in time.
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

#185131 Mar 28, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>You need to pull your head out of MadCow's butt. Or is it Maddow?
the deficit is about 400 billion dollars less than when bush left us whith a crashed economy.

unemployment is down over 2% as well(although there is along way to go)

the dow is worth twice as much now, than it was after bush let the economy crash.

contradicting your whole "the economy is in free fall'
arguement...

which isnt even an arguement, as it is not based on reality.

it is just stoopid tea party fantasies...

you guys should have gotten the memo(so to speak) after the voters rejected your proposals...

many rethugs are acting like the election never happened.

Elk Grove, CA

#185132 Mar 28, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a perfect example of why republicans will no longer be able to win national elections.
As long as they are only catering to the ignorant and uninformed their constituency is rapidly dwindling, as the leader of the your party has already stated, they have to stop being the party of stupid.
Why? Because you post stupid? You complain about the R's giving tax breaks, but it's okay for Obama? Obama rewards wealthy Hollywood supporters by giving the TAX BREAKS instead of raising their taxes. As Washington worries about the United Statesí growing deficit problem, thereís mounting evidence the government is failing to collect taxes from wealthy individuals and corporations. A piece in todayís New York Times by David Kocieniewskioutlines how G.E. skirted paying any taxes on $5.1 billion in profits in 2010Ėin addition to claiming a $3.2 billion tax credit.

Their is no difference in the party's, the only difference is in the fancy speeches which an idiot like you falls into.
Ninteen more

La Puente, CA

#185133 Mar 28, 2013
http://signon.org/sign/please-investigate-the...

There are at least two people who told me they signed the petition but their signatures are not on the list. Please check the list if you signed the petition to make sure your name is there?

Thank you for caring and trying to help me and these other 62 families.
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

#185134 Mar 28, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>creates more jobs when people die
you mean

"creates more profits"

which is the rethuglican greedo-creedo!!
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

#185135 Mar 28, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
it i interesting. never, in either of our lives, did my partner & i imagine the prospect of being able to legally marry & have it recognized in our home state of texas.
things are looking more promising. several friends are already planning weddings. that's a bit premature for me though.
i am wondering about the DOMA results - with respect to state's rights. will it be sweeping enough to set an across the states' rule? or will the laws have to be chipped away in each state? the findings and ruling will decide that, probably in june.
i've heard many say that the woman central to the case (plaintiff) as being likened to rosa parks. this is a watershed case, no matter if you're a conservative or a liberal.
the whole process is fascinating. i hope someday to be able to sit in on one of those hearings just to get the feel in person how our process works - and has worked for over two centuries. so many people scoff at the judges - but they were put on the bench same method as every other SCOTUS judge for 200+ yrs...and it's been effective all those yrs. we may not all agree all the time with all the rulings, but it is what it is. it's the best method on earth and i'm grateful to be a citizen of america - and to be here, now, in this moment in time.
when the court was more progressive(back in the marshall days)

they dared getting out in front of public opinion, like with roe, brown or loving.

since the rethugs like reagan/bush stacked the court with d00che baggs like scalia??

they have gotten much more states rights oriented....which is more of a traditional conservative stance on social issues..

lets hope the democrats stay in power, so they can appoint a more liberal court(it is likey, the way things are going)

so as to set the tone federally on these important social issues..

if they dont?? they will have to deal with situations like the civil rights movement in certain regions, every so often.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#185136 Mar 28, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
I donít blame them for planning, if they reject it on standing, it could come in a matter of weeks, and the courts will lift the stay and it will be over.

If they reject it on constitutional grounds, we may not know until June or July, but before the end of this year, I fully expect marriage to be legal in California again, and any further attacks on marriage will be soundly defeated either in court or by vote at this point.

I honestly donít see any other outcome.

DOMA is just a dead duck after yesterday, I donít think that is even a question
Big D

Modesto, CA

#185137 Mar 28, 2013
Even at the worst case, that they overturn the appeal, we put overturning it on the ballot and it will be overturned now in a walk by vote.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#185138 Mar 28, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
And let's not forget the in-fighting that we're seeing in the Republican party at this time. You have Bil O'Reilly on FOX coming out and saying that he is supportive of same-sex marriage. And you have Mike Huckabee and the other tea-partiers not only boycotting FOX, but also saying that if a Republican leader supports same-sex marriage, they will break off and form their own party.

They're going to eat themselves alive...
Big D

Modesto, CA

#185139 Mar 28, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
And let's not forget the in-fighting that we're seeing in the Republican party at this time. You have Bil O'Reilly on FOX coming out and saying that he is supportive of same-sex marriage. And you have Mike Huckabee and the other tea-partiers not only boycotting FOX, but also saying that if a Republican leader supports same-sex marriage, they will break off and form their own party.
Well what is happening is that the republican leadership is starting to realize that they cannot have the Limbaugh's and O'Reilly's leading the party down the road to oblivion

The Tea Party is part of the problem with being the party of stupid.

It is a civil war within the party, they only have 2 choices, leave the idiots vetting their candidates ( which is the road to oblivion ) or shed them and start working on more serious, and viable candidates that are willing to work with both sides of the isle.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#185140 Mar 28, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
And there are those that worship the past, when women could not vote, or blacks were slaves, or unbelievers were burned at the stake, or when Christians were murdered for entertainment depending on how far back you go.
Generally though people that glorify the past are the ones that are afraid all the time, with backwards looking mentalities, never have their eyes on the future. Sad people, unhappy people, that have no future because they can only dream of the past.
This is such a stupid argument. If it wasn't for the foresight of the founding generation women still wouldn't be able to vote and slavery would still exist. They undertood they were fallible, that's why they wrote article V. And let's not forget it was the State's not the Fed that ended slavery and gave women that right when they ratified said Amendments.

The problem today is that people are unwilling to do things the right way. Amendments are too hard, let's just get the right people on the bench and let the courts dictate our will.

Yes, it is very important to understand the past, and we should to a point worship it, for it is that past which made us what we are today. Any less is simply ignorance.

Location hidden

#185141 Mar 28, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
wrong again. try reading the prop 8 transcripts and the DOMA transcripts as those are the trials we're discussing.
Stare decisis. Look it up.

And stop thinking you are a lawyer because you watch Judge Judy.

Location hidden

#185142 Mar 28, 2013
<quoted text>
the 17th amendment allows for local elections??
you are against local elections??
REALLY??
I guess it is not that surprising, as the tea partiers are trying to do away with local elections in michigan.
they have already succeeded in cutting half the black population OFF from their former local representation.
now they have "emergency managers", installed in those cities(inc now detroit)
they arnt doing it quit like hitler did in in 38??
but almost
it IS targeting black communities.
Michigan is one of those states in the rust belt that used to vote republican, but now votes democratic for president.
it is one of the states YOUR party must retake if it EVER hopes to win the whitehouse again.
THIS is NOT a GOOD way to reach out to minority voters to show them that they embody your republican values....
JUst the opposite.
you guys hope to wIN national elections while the members of your state coalitions are passing laws like THAT???
the voters actually repealed the emergency manager law...
.....but then the state legislature(because they dont like the 17th amendment) nullified that mandate by passing another emrgency manager law, THIS time adding that it COULDNT be repealed by popular demand.....what kind of government does things like that??
You're an idiot. There is no point in continuing a conversation with you when you obviously have no clue as to the implications of the 17th Amendment, nor do you even have a basic understanding as to why the Senate was not designed as the house with direct election from the popular vote.

Beyond that, you can't even form complete sentences.

Elk Grove, CA

#185143 Mar 28, 2013
<quoted text>
the deficit is about 400 billion dollars less than when bush left us whith a crashed economy.
unemployment is down over 2% as well(although there is along way to go)
the dow is worth twice as much now, than it was after bush let the economy crash.
contradicting your whole "the economy is in free fall'
arguement...
which isnt even an arguement, as it is not based on reality.
it is just stoopid tea party fantasies...
you guys should have gotten the memo(so to speak) after the voters rejected your proposals...
many rethugs are acting like the election never happened.
We were at an all high time, it would not matter who was the sitting President, things get better, it's cycles, if anything Obama slowed down the progress. The economy does not depend on the President. Plz post the post where I said "the economy is in a free fall"? Why do u lie so much? Is it the pot?

Elk Grove, CA

#185144 Mar 28, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
But according to hemp head, you are a bigot for comparing gay lifestyles to animals.

Elk Grove, CA

#185145 Mar 28, 2013
<quoted text>
when the court was more progressive(back in the marshall days)
they dared getting out in front of public opinion, like with roe, brown or loving.
since the rethugs like reagan/bush stacked the court with d00che baggs like scalia??
they have gotten much more states rights oriented....which is more of a traditional conservative stance on social issues..
lets hope the democrats stay in power, so they can appoint a more liberal court(it is likey, the way things are going)
so as to set the tone federally on these important social issues..
if they dont?? they will have to deal with situations like the civil rights movement in certain regions, every so often.
Slow down, put the bong down, it's not good for your heart to smoke that much. You don't make any sense. Maybe you are having a stroke.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#185146 Mar 28, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
This is such a stupid argument. If it wasn't for the foresight of the founding generation women still wouldn't be able to vote and slavery would still exist. They undertood they were fallible, that's why they wrote article V. And let's not forget it was the State's not the Fed that ended slavery and gave women that right when they ratified said Amendments.
The problem today is that people are unwilling to do things the right way. Amendments are too hard, let's just get the right people on the bench and let the courts dictate our will.
Yes, it is very important to understand the past, and we should to a point worship it, for it is that past which made us what we are today. Any less is simply ignorance.
Yes, those were done by people who were looking forward, not back

thank you for making my point.

Of course we look at the past, but we donít glorify it, we donít say that if something was true before, it has to be true now and in the future. We did exactly the opposite in every example you gave, by people that looked to a bright future, rather than wishing for some non-existent "gold old days"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Costco readies for new opening (Dec '06) Jul 26 Maria Anderson 157
News Ernest Kimme: Thank our forefathers for opportu... Jul 21 Birds Landing Bob 7
News Santa Cruz native awarded fellowship Jul 20 Pissed off native... 3
Looking for a horny girl in indio Jul 14 Drewhas8 1
News Man petitions road name change to mend racial t... Jul 11 inewsmaster 1
Review: jumpers zone party rentals Jul 9 Yaneth 1
Slamming Meth Jul 8 Martin 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indio Mortgages