Men nabbed in asphalt scam to appear in court Monday

REGISTER STAFF REPORTS Posted at 14:13 on 06/04/2008 Two men wanted in a construction scam in Polk County have been arrested in Palmyra, Mo. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
someone

Columbia, MO

#1 Aug 22, 2008
i dont understand if someone agrees to do the work that a contractor has provided is eligible to make his/her own decisions how people like you all turn it into scams when these boys are just trying to feed their family back home so they dont end up starving or in an abandon building somewhere.
crash

United States

#2 Aug 30, 2008
someone wrote:
i dont understand if someone agrees to do the work that a contractor has provided is eligible to make his/her own decisions how people like you all turn it into scams when these boys are just trying to feed their family back home so they dont end up starving or in an abandon building somewhere.
It is called a "scam" because THEY BROKE THE LAW! These "boys" have been ripping off people for centuries and people are sick of it! I don't hear you writing about the thousands and thousands of dollars the elderly are deprived of by these low-lifes! They are the victims here, not some asphalter!
They aren't using the money "just to feed their families". Half of them have warrants out for failing to pay their child support! They use it for their dope and booze. Get a real job!
cuntsy sou lou lou

Tracy, CA

#3 Sep 24, 2008
oh get a life
hotmix

Fredericktown, MO

#4 Sep 24, 2008
excuse me but where do you get your info "dope & booze" c'mon now. really. And how do you know if they have children or owe child support? Just because someone does asphalt construction for a living doesnt mean they are all, as you say, dopers , boozers, and dead beat dads."
Have you ever did any asphalt work? Get a real job man. Asphalting is a JOB. You stand over 360 degree asphalt while shoveling and luteing it. There are those of us who work VERY hard at it. And do you know how many people now a days will hire you at a price, sign a contract, we do the work and low and behold They refuse to pay anything and hollar SCAM SCAM just to get out of paying their bills.
So maybe you should get your facts straight before you ramble about a dead beat boozen dopen asphalter. Because i know alot of them and really there arent really any that i know of that are as you describe crash
disgusted

Ruidoso, NM

#5 Sep 25, 2008
Well as always, there is two sides to every story. If everyone would drop their bias opinions and realize that there are bad ashalters and there are good ones. Every business that exists has cons involved in it. From supreme court judges to asphalters. Ashalters seem to a lot of the time take the rap, mostly in part because they work for themselves and don't have connections to cover up, or be the benefit of a reasonable doubt. Any person earning a honest living, which could be from any profession is at risk of being slandered.
GRACE PAVING VA

Highland Springs, VA

#6 Oct 6, 2008
What I don't understand is that if someone agrees to a set price on paving work and then when something isn't satisfactory to them when the job is complete then they hollar scam and they got a bad job all together! Most of the time they don't give the contractor a chance to correct it. Some people just can not be pleased. Asphalt work is expensive.
Russ

Denver, CO

#7 Nov 9, 2008
GRACE PAVING VA wrote:
What I don't understand is that if someone agrees to a set price on paving work and then when something isn't satisfactory to them when the job is complete then they hollar scam and they got a bad job all together! Most of the time they don't give the contractor a chance to correct it. Some people just can not be pleased. Asphalt work is expensive.
These guys operate under the radar. I was personally involved in once of these cases. The group out of MO used the same deal extra asphalt from other jobs. Quote was way low from final price. This bunch was using a reputable contractor's name saying they were subcontracting for him. They weren't. They use high pressure tactics and operate without licenses. I agree they are low-lifes, preying on elderly and single women.
asphalt

Bishop, CA

#8 Mar 20, 2009
well there are good cops and ones to. but what i dont understand is how does a prosacuteing attrney become a attorney, that works for scam artist and gets them deals to keep them out of jail. so who is really the scam artist HERE and who all do thay pay off. so attrneys and judges are scam artist to the whole court system is the biggist f**king scam in the USA
jack the tripper

United States

#9 Jul 14, 2009
hey russ good thing thers low lifes preying on ugly old women or else you wod not have ben born
somebody

United States

#10 Jul 16, 2009
people are just try not to pay because you just do not go to some ones place and start lay a driveway you have to give a price and a go head
the big crook in the world is who you go to lisin to every sumday
dnt understand

Terre Haute, IN

#11 Jul 29, 2009
i just cant comprehend how u can call all this a scam n how they can think their right y aint it a scam when they do a good job at a great price n if a job has a crack its a scam maybe the people hiring them should blame their selfs for their own stupidity remember u get what u pay for n if u cant afford it dnt hire them so u can claim scam for your free job and not all prey upon elderly all you complaining about that are dead beats that are waitng for your mom n dads n grand parents to die to get your inheritence n dnt wanna see them spend it instead of getting off your lazy a** like these hard working young men and work for what you get n not wait on what might be coming you people are the reason why the economy is the way it is you r lazy n tight n hoping something might come to u when u dnt even deserve it
Steve b

AOL

#12 Aug 9, 2009
All you guys from hannibal are want to bees,You are all hired men and nothing more who try to do what a real travellers does,but you wind up ripping folks off beause you are all chicken theives and bar flies,Over here in jtown its very diffrent.
CJR

Ridgway, CO

#13 Aug 20, 2009
How can I get a hold of the original story in the paper?
Big John

Fort Collins, CO

#14 Apr 18, 2010
hotmix wrote:
excuse me but where do you get your info "dope & booze" c'mon now. really. And how do you know if they have children or owe child support? Just because someone does asphalt construction for a living doesnt mean they are all, as you say, dopers , boozers, and dead beat dads."
Have you ever did any asphalt work? Get a real job man. Asphalting is a JOB. You stand over 360 degree asphalt while shoveling and luteing it. There are those of us who work VERY hard at it. And do you know how many people now a days will hire you at a price, sign a contract, we do the work and low and behold They refuse to pay anything and hollar SCAM SCAM just to get out of paying their bills.
So maybe you should get your facts straight before you ramble about a dead beat boozen dopen asphalter. Because i know alot of them and really there arent really any that i know of that are as you describe crash
Use ur head. They feel comfortable saying that becuz they know them dummy. It's a small town and word gets around. I know some asphalters too, and Although the workers might work hard, the hustlers are all TREACHEROUS. Just becuz u didnt actually do the screwing doesnt mean u wont get arrested right along with the rest of them.
Future_Mrs_Riley

Huntington, IN

#15 May 17, 2010
ok for one these people need to realize that all of these asphalt workers do more in one day than most do in one week. my fiance comes home every day completely wore out from this type of work.Yes there are some that give the others a bad name but not all of them are going to con people out of their money. Everyone needs to just stop being greedy and pay those who deserve the money.
Xwife

Kansas City, MO

#16 Jun 4, 2010
hotmix wrote:
excuse me but where do you get your info "dope & booze" c'mon now. really. And how do you know if they have children or owe child support? Just because someone does asphalt construction for a living doesnt mean they are all, as you say, dopers , boozers, and dead beat dads."
Have you ever did any asphalt work? Get a real job man. Asphalting is a JOB. You stand over 360 degree asphalt while shoveling and luteing it. There are those of us who work VERY hard at it. And do you know how many people now a days will hire you at a price, sign a contract, we do the work and low and behold They refuse to pay anything and hollar SCAM SCAM just to get out of paying their bills.
So maybe you should get your facts straight before you ramble about a dead beat boozen dopen asphalter. Because i know alot of them and really there arent really any that i know of that are as you describe crash
Totally agree. My ex husband is an asphalter and has been for the 17 years that I've known him. I can't count how many times this has happened to him. He completes a job and a good job at that, then the customer hollars scam, refuses to pay and threatens to call the authorities. All the media hype over these so called scammers has made it hard on these guys to earn a living and support their families. And no, my ex is not a boozer or a doper and he doesn't have warrants out for his arrest. He usually lets these people get away without paying him to simply avoid the "witch hunt" and what it can do to his reputation.
REPEAT

United States

#17 Jan 4, 2011
Agree there are good guys and bad guys but the ones mentioned in the Whig, the Post and on the tube were and always has been con artists. They know who they are and so does most everyone else in the Hannibal area. For that reason is why they choose to be travelers and prey on those that can not possibly know what we have known for years. My 2 cents worth.
Real g

United States

#18 Jan 22, 2011
Steve b you said it right all these boys from Hannibal r a bunch of meth head wana be hired men. Not one drop of gypsy blood in none of them.just Remimber you hannibal refs no matter how much money you make or people you suv or say the two rummny words you know. You'll never be a gypsy. Hired mushes com to haw corey!
dave k

United States

#19 Jun 8, 2011
alot of you guys do rip & tear.give a good price $2-3 min of 2" like us caly boys and all us well be good to go.
roadbaron

Alvarado, TX

#20 Dec 19, 2011
GRACE PAVING VA wrote:
What I don't understand is that if someone agrees to a set price on paving work and then when something isn't satisfactory to them when the job is complete then they hollar scam and they got a bad job all together! Most of the time they don't give the contractor a chance to correct it. Some people just can not be pleas ed. Asphalt work is expensive.
sir when a company uses fake names and uses a ups mailbox as his adress then most likely there is fraud on its way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianola Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Your 2 Cents' Worth Submit brief anonymous comm... (Jul '09) 38 min WESTSIDE DEMOCRAT 154
Do you approve of Jack Hatch as State Senator? (Jun '12) Sep 27 Tommy Harmon 2
Do you approve of J. Scott Raecker as State Rep... Sep 27 Tommy Harmon 1
Do you approve of Kevin Koester as State Repres... Sep 27 Tommy Harmon 1
Do you approve of Peter Cownie as State Represe... Sep 27 Tommy Harmon 1
Do you approve of Leonard Boswell as Representa... Sep 27 Tommy Harmon 1
Review: Caban Construction & Services (Feb '14) Sep 20 Jazzy 3

Indianola Jobs

Indianola People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Indianola News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Indianola

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]