Atheist Group Wants Lawmakers To Stop...

Atheist Group Wants Lawmakers To Stop Praying Before Session

There are 54 comments on the WHOtv story from Jan 11, 2010, titled Atheist Group Wants Lawmakers To Stop Praying Before Session. In it, WHOtv reports that:

Today's legislative session began like most sessions; with a prayer. But the group "Iowa Atheists and Freethinkers" wants to put an end to the practice by sending lawmakers an e-mail demanding the prayers stop.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHOtv.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
TWJ

Elizabeth, NJ

#41 Jan 12, 2010
Individuals who want to pray to gods, goddesses, unicorns, dragons and other mythological beings are welcome to do so in the privacy of their homes and churches... Kindly do not attempt to impose your mythology on those of us who base our beliefs on reason and science and common sense...
Beth

Dubuque, IA

#42 Jan 12, 2010
My husband, being an atheist, says that if you have a religion that's fine but don't try and push it on others. I on the other hand was raised in a christian home. Now, on my own and exploring I found I am more of a agnostic...I need real proof there is a God before I believe in him fully. My husband had a good idea though, if you have people of all faiths and beliefs in one room why not try and find an empty room where no one is at and pray or what not right before the session begins? That way an atheist doesn't have to be in the same room while someone is praying. Sounds like a fair solution. That way everyone can still have something and not be offended.
FREETHOUGHT

Littleton, CO

#43 Jan 12, 2010
Beth wrote:
My husband, being an atheist, says that if you have a religion that's fine but don't try and push it on others. I on the other hand was raised in a christian home. Now, on my own and exploring I found I am more of a agnostic...I need real proof there is a God before I believe in him fully. My husband had a good idea though, if you have people of all faiths and beliefs in one room why not try and find an empty room where no one is at and pray or what not right before the session begins? That way an atheist doesn't have to be in the same room while someone is praying. Sounds like a fair solution. That way everyone can still have something and not be offended.
Who's tax dollars should pay for this, then?
wow

Minneapolis, MN

#44 Jan 12, 2010
hahaha.
So....the couple of you that sit here and respond to like EVERY single person's remark and complain that your leaders are praying while using your tax dollars...are probably the same people that want me to pay for your health insurance. I am not trying to change the subject and make you go all crazy, but I don't want to waste my tax dollars on you either. GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!!!
FREETHOUGHT

Littleton, CO

#45 Jan 12, 2010
wow wrote:
hahaha.
So....the couple of you that sit here and respond to like EVERY single person's remark and complain that your leaders are praying while using your tax dollars...are probably the same people that want me to pay for your health insurance. I am not trying to change the subject and make you go all crazy, but I don't want to waste my tax dollars on you either. GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, so loose with your accusations there, buddy. Why would you think that because I support the constitution's seperation from church and state stance that I would be in favor of this health bill? Must be the same logic that christians use to defend "under god" in the pledge of allegiance!
Darlene

Ankeny, IA

#46 Jan 12, 2010
joni wrote:
You think ypur feelings are hurt now, wait until your atheist, agnostic of secular humanist self dies. I feel sorry for you but not enough to change my right to pray when ever I want and where ever I want to. Regarding the quote from Kent Sorenson "then aren't they imposing their beliefs on me by asking for this?" Amen Kent, Amen.
How is anyone imposing their beliefs on Amen Kent Amen? Is anyone using Kent's money to pay for their prayer time? Is anyone making Kent talk to their god as a condition of his employment? Is anyone telling Kent that they are going to make laws based on how they interpret their god, and Kent has to obey those laws, even if he doesn't believe in their god? Legislators who are working FOR THE STATE (which is the people) and are PAID BY THE STATE do not have the right to pray and worship as part of the job they are supposed to be doing for people who might not necessarily believe Christian laws are right. Legislators should have the sense to compartmentalize and leave their personal lives and beliefs at home and in their churches when they go to work, because they have to be able to recognize when their religious beliefs are not going to translate well into laws that have to be obeyed by everyone, including people who don't believe as they do.
I don't understand how people reach adulthood without grasping these simple principles.
Joe

Des Moines, IA

#47 Jan 12, 2010
Athiests believe that they dont have a prayer, and I'm inclined to agree with them
bill

Pittsburgh, PA

#48 Jan 13, 2010
we live in the most beautifullest nation on the plantit. this nation provides each and every...every...everyone the freedom of rights. This group calls themselves,"FREE THINKERS", yet tring to oppress my thinking under the cover that that thier feelings are hurt. I am offended that they would try and stop pray. It's ok that a nation over seas call say that they are a religious nation and pray to their god to bomb us but we can't pray to our God to stop them. This nation is not where we are cause man had a good idea. This nation is where it is because God had a good plan. When did pray to the God that says, "Love God with all your heart and love your neighbors as yourself ever hurt
Abzelilla

Maryland Heights, MO

#49 Jan 13, 2010
bill wrote:
we live in the most beautifullest nation on the plantit. this nation provides each and every...every...everyone the freedom of rights. This group calls themselves,"FREE THINKERS", yet tring to oppress my thinking under the cover that that thier feelings are hurt. I am offended that they would try and stop pray. It's ok that a nation over seas call say that they are a religious nation and pray to their god to bomb us but we can't pray to our God to stop them. This nation is not where we are cause man had a good idea. This nation is where it is because God had a good plan. When did pray to the God that says, "Love God with all your heart and love your neighbors as yourself ever hurt
Like it was noted many times before, no one is trying to stop YOU from praying--you can pray when you want, where you want, to whomever you want. Even if you are elected into a public office, as our legislators are, you can STILL pray to your heart content. All the atheists ask is that you please do so in the comfort of your own home or church, and on your own time, not on the time and dime of the taxpayers you were elected to represent. Many of those taxpayers do not share you religion, and some, like the IAF, are not religious at all. Elective officials are supposed to represent all those people equally, and by engaging in prayer as a part of the official state business they exclude a good chunk of the people they are trying to represent.

How would YOU feel if your representative started to proselytize you as a part of his or her official government duties? Still think it's not offensive?

Since: Dec 09

San Francisco, CA

#50 Jan 13, 2010
Read the Pledge of Alligiance or did the liberals get rid of that too?
TWJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Last I checked we were One Nation Under the Constitution (which prohibits the establishment of religion and never mentions any gods)...

Since: Dec 09

San Francisco, CA

#51 Jan 13, 2010
I Pledge Allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic
for which it stands,
one Nation under God,
indivisible,
with liberty and justice for all
Abzelilla

United States

#52 Jan 13, 2010
LJunk wrote:
I Pledge Allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic
for which it stands,
one Nation under God,
indivisible,
with liberty and justice for all
You are utterly unaware that the "under God" part was not added to the pledge until 1954 under the pressure of a fundamentalist Catholic organization, aren't you? It has nothing to do with what the founding fathers' intentions were, breaks the rhythm of an otherwise beautiful oath, and oh yes, violates the letter and spirit of the establishment clause.
diana

Ankeny, IA

#53 Jan 14, 2010
Pray to whoever you want, just don't expect me as a taxpayer to pay for your prayers.
dave

Fort Madison, IA

#54 Jan 15, 2010
diana wrote:
Pray to whoever you want, just don't expect me as a taxpayer to pay for your prayers.
Thanks for the encouragement to pray. As a matter of fact I will pray for you and the others who are offended by any type of prayer. Are you afraid of the prayer or the higher power that we pray to?
I do have one question. How long does this tax dollar comsuming prayer last? Does the one praying get paid by tax dollars or does this person do it free? I think you need to be more concerned about how your legislature is wasting your precious tax dollars on other projects. Maybe we should go back to how the founding fathers were paid for their service to our country. NO PAY. I think it is a travesty that our legislaturs are paid their enormous wages. Free health care and multiple other benefits to numerous to mention.
Freethought, I know you are out there and I just said a special prayer for you to have a free thought about your creator and how you are endowed by Him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianola Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gangs in Iowa? (Feb '11) Jan 13 Crappington McFar... 48
Iowans Republicans SLAVES Jan 4 test 2
iowa sucks (Jan '08) Dec '17 KAL 415
News FUNDRAISING SCAM: Family of Child With Cancer C... (Aug '10) Dec '17 Uncle Tom 24
Paying respect and fentanyl Dec '17 text 2
Save the youth Nov '17 three blocks 3
News Glass Slipper Prom Dress Shop (Mar '10) Nov '17 Echo 2

Indianola Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianola Mortgages