County Attorney Wants To Try Teen Mur...

County Attorney Wants To Try Teen Murder Suspect As Adult

There are 34 comments on the WHOtv story from Jul 1, 2010, titled County Attorney Wants To Try Teen Murder Suspect As Adult. In it, WHOtv reports that:

An Iowa teen could be tried as an adult for a deadly shooting in Indianola on Sunday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHOtv.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Come on

West Des Moines, IA

#1 Jul 1, 2010
A picture of a 14 year old charged with murder?? I know this was a terrible thing, but do you think it's right to put a picture of the child up. Don't tell me how messed up this chold is and he deserves it. He is still a child.
What is right

Columbus, OH

#2 Jul 1, 2010
He is a child, a child with a gun that "doesn't think it can happen to them". Who knows what the right answer is. I'm sure if he had the chance to do it again, he would have thought first. I feel bad for both families and hope that everyone can forgive.
Brenda

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Jul 1, 2010
When charged with murder, YES!
Really

Sioux Falls, SD

#4 Jul 1, 2010
My biggest fear as a mother! If we were allowed to beat our kid's ass, less of this would happen!!!!!
LongArm

Newton, IA

#5 Jul 1, 2010
Really wrote:
My biggest fear as a mother! If we were allowed to beat our kid's ****, less of this would happen!!!!!
Exactly! If parents were allowed to woop a kids butt when they get out of line things like this would occure alot less often. Its a messed up world we live in these days and i know when i was a child (31 now) and i got out of line my father "put me back in line" very quickly.
RUkidding

Plymouth, MN

#6 Jul 1, 2010
How sad! I guess the thing that needs to be determined is whether he would have thought first if given the chance to do it again. Some people are born evil and some people make really bad and regretted mistakes. If this child has no remorse, then he should be tried as an adult.
se iowa

Bloomington, IL

#7 Jul 1, 2010
Are you kidding me? People believe that if parents were "allowed" to beat their kids, this wouldn't have happened? Please. I have two teenagers who are extremely well-behaved and I've never had to lay a hand on either of them. Hitting (aka spanking) a kid is not the way to show them they're out of line. So what's the line of thinking here, that if this boy's parents had spanked him, this wouldn't have happened? It's a tragic accident, and I pray for both families.
super puke

Des Moines, IA

#8 Jul 1, 2010
THIS LITTLE [email protected] DESERVES TO BE TRIED AS AN ADULT.
He should have been a little smarter, and this would not have happened.
beth

Urbandale, IA

#9 Jul 1, 2010
i dont think that he shld be charged as an adult he's 14 and as far as life in prison i dont thank that should happen either!!! The boy that got shot had no reason to be shot but Dan i know him personaly and he would never do anything like this the one that was killed had to of done something very harsh to make Dan very mad!!!
beth

Urbandale, IA

#10 Jul 1, 2010
super puke wrote:
THIS LITTLE [email protected] DESERVES TO BE TRIED AS AN ADULT.
He should have been a little smarter, and this would not have happened.
Dan isnt a [email protected] okay!!! you have no right to talk crap about him like that okay i know james had no reason at all to be shot but Dan i can really tell you is not a [email protected] he is a really nice boy and a big beleiver in god
Kristi

Montezuma, IA

#11 Jul 1, 2010
I've never laid a hand on my children either and they are all very well behaved. It's not a matter of beating your kids ***, more of a matter of giving a sh** about your kids, paying attention to them. Not leaving them home alone all the time. Get their lazy butts off the video games and TV and do something together as FAMILY. Children are neglected today and pushed aside because we are "too busy". Guess these parents are wishing now they had spent a little more time with their kids and now 2 lives are ruined and taken away.
A child yes, but my 12 year old has more sense than to play with a gun. Guns do not kill people, people who lack common sense kill people.
Sal E

Des Moines, IA

#12 Jul 1, 2010
If this little jerk is old enough to load a gun and shoot it, he's old enough to have his criminal face plastered all over creation AND to stand trial as an adult! His absentee father should have HIS photo plastered all over AND be tried right along side his kid.
raising an eyebrow

West Des Moines, IA

#13 Jul 1, 2010
I dont think you can put blame on a 14 year old boy for making a bad decision....he wont realize that until he's grown up...cmon people...
Look at the parents...why was this child even in possession of a shotgun?
Lock up your guns parents and have some accountability.
Lives in Indianola

Des Moines, IA

#14 Jul 1, 2010
beth wrote:
i dont think that he shld be charged as an adult he's 14 and as far as life in prison i dont thank that should happen either!!! The boy that got shot had no reason to be shot but Dan i know him personaly and he would never do anything like this the one that was killed had to of done something very harsh to make Dan very mad!!!
So your saying.........."the one that was killed had to of done something very harsh to make Dan very mad!!!"..........its ok then, since he made Dan mad. Hmmm......your an idiot! He admitted that he shot him!! No excuse to shoot someone....NO EXCUSE!!!!!!
Hey super puke

Oelwein, IA

#15 Jul 1, 2010
I dont know what batstard means....Please explain. LOL.
Oh and why does it say

Oelwein, IA

#16 Jul 1, 2010
I'm from Chanhassen, MN? I dont even know where that is. And I dont like Minnesota, So what if you have over 10,000 lakes. You suck at life and driving.
Michaela

Des Moines, IA

#17 Jul 1, 2010
Guns don't kill people, its the parents who never taught their child how to be responsible. If there was a gun in the house, those parents should have discussed with that boy why it was there and how to use it in an emergency and then and there it should be explained how deadly and dangerous a gun can be in the wrong situation. And it should definitley have been locked up! Its a shame everyone is taught these things. I'm a young women and have taken gun safety courses and find it very benificial even if u dont even own a gun. I pray for their families.
Anita

Dubuque, IA

#18 Jul 1, 2010
Being part of the family of the victim, I can say that yes I believe he should get the full penalty. He made the decision of taking anothers life over an opinion that was different than his, what did he think was going to happen? At fourteen you know what the consequences of pointing a shot gun at someones chest and pulling the trigger are...Now you must pay the consequnces. Both familys will feel a life time of sadness and always have a million questions that will go unanswered.
Cyclone Fan

Hedrick, IA

#19 Jul 1, 2010
I'm not sure that responsibility can be taught. My parents never had to tell us right from wrong, that doesn't mean we were saints but we never thought of wanting to hurt another person nor did anyone I ever knew growing up.

To much craziness to watch and do in these times. Watching violent acts whether in a movie, on TV, playing video games or in real life makes for very aggressive behavior....not to mention the use of drugs, alcohol and even the diet of young and old who cause much harm to their bodies and minds with to much sugar and caffeine which can cause a loose tongue and say hurtful things that they wouldn't otherwise.

Even cartoons and commercials on TV can't express themselves without being loud and fast moving like they are going to hit you between the eyes in order to get childrens attention at a very young age. You can't get many people's attention anymore unless you speak loudly because that is what they are used to.

R U Kidding

Ankeny, IA

#20 Jul 2, 2010
Kids are taught to get even, have no self control, act like jerks, no respect, win at any cost. They learn this from our political system every day. So is it any wonder two kids, with a gun in sight, having an argument, would not end up with someone shot?
What was it again Sarah Palin said as to guns, sights, and her political opponents? And u wonder how, why, kids think the way they do today?
Just be hopeful next time its not YOUR kid having an argument with a gun nearby. Especially if they ever listen to CNN, FOX or politics.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indianola Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Des Moines, IA Native Center Of Celebrity Catfi... May 20 Twinkie Moonbeam 1
Looking for a Registered female German Shepherd... May 19 Aimers227 3
Jessica Pratt still hooking (Feb '14) May 10 Angie 5
need a car May 10 Ashley 1
News Your 2 Cents' Worth Submit brief anonymous comm... (Jul '09) May 9 Disappointed in 5... 186
Best Place For A Used Car May 6 guest 1
iowa sucks (Jan '08) May 5 Still hate Iowa 400
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indianola Mortgages