Decisions of the Westmoreland County ...

Decisions of the Westmoreland County judges

There are 13 comments on the Pittsburg Tribune story from Jan 14, 2007, titled Decisions of the Westmoreland County judges. In it, Pittsburg Tribune reports that:

The following is a list of defendants charged with a first offense of driving under the influence in Westmoreland County criminal court.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pittsburg Tribune.

Bob

Saint Clairsville, OH

#1 Feb 10, 2007
DUI is a big concern nowadays and rightly so but it isn't going to improve any if defendants continue to be coddled. In theory on first offense a person can get ARD and after a year of behaving their slate is wiped clean, this is nonsense. If the courts are going to insist on ARD then make the probationary period 10 years, then with that much time of behaving these people will have developed some good habits in spite of themselves. As things are now a person carries on until they are caught messing up and then behave for their year to complete ARD and then do it all again next year. If someone can make it through 10 years of ARD probation without another violation then perhaps by then they will have broken the drinking habit. Also during the probation period they pay a monthly supervision fee of generally $25 so the court and the taxpayers also get some benefit from it. This is a winning situation all around, as far as the offenders go that $25 is nothing compared to how much they were spending on booze per month and to those that wish to continue offending it is $25 less that they are drinking up.
passion

Vandergrift, PA

#2 Mar 16, 2007
Bob wrote:
DUI is a big concern nowadays and rightly so but it isn't going to improve any if defendants continue to be coddled. In theory on first offense a person can get ARD and after a year of behaving their slate is wiped clean, this is nonsense. If the courts are going to insist on ARD then make the probationary period 10 years, then with that much time of behaving these people will have developed some good habits in spite of themselves. As things are now a person carries on until they are caught messing up and then behave for their year to complete ARD and then do it all again next year. If someone can make it through 10 years of ARD probation without another violation then perhaps by then they will have broken the drinking habit. Also during the probation period they pay a monthly supervision fee of generally $25 so the court and the taxpayers also get some benefit from it. This is a winning situation all around, as far as the offenders go that $25 is nothing compared to how much they were spending on booze per month and to those that wish to continue offending it is $25 less that they are drinking up.
Bob its about money! the state is makeing boo coo money off of D.U.I. & the sad thing is people do not care . look in the N.P. its page after page full of D.U.I. the only way they can stop it is stop selling booze & bear. they are making money off of people's sickness .because drinking is a huge problem and the state knows it.people do not care when it comes to drinking.there are so many people with out driving L. due to drinking and driveing. do they care no.the only way the state is going to solve this is by stop selling booze. untill that happens more people will still be dieing by ass holes who don't give a dame. & the state included .because if the state cared thay would stop selling this poison .so THEY ARE ALSO JUST AS GUILTY AS THE DRUNK DRIVER WHO MADE A CHOSE TO KILL SOME ONE BY THEIR CAR. AFTER THEY KILL SOME ONE THE ONLY THING THE LAW DOES IS TAKE THEIR DRIVER'S L. & 3 YEARS IN JAIL .BUT IT DOSE NOT STOP THAT PERSON FROM GOING BACK IN A BAR TO DRINK.
Baddbob

Irwin, PA

#3 Apr 29, 2007
passion wrote:
<quoted text>Bob its about money! the state is makeing boo coo money off of D.U.I. & the sad thing is people do not care . look in the N.P. its page after page full of D.U.I. the only way they can stop it is stop selling booze & bear. they are making money off of people's sickness .because drinking is a huge problem and the state knows it.people do not care when it comes to drinking.there are so many people with out driving L. due to drinking and driveing. do they care no.the only way the state is going to solve this is by stop selling booze. untill that happens more people will still be dieing by ass holes who don't give a dame. & the state included .because if the state cared thay would stop selling this poison .so THEY ARE ALSO JUST AS GUILTY AS THE DRUNK DRIVER WHO MADE A CHOSE TO KILL SOME ONE BY THEIR CAR. AFTER THEY KILL SOME ONE THE ONLY THING THE LAW DOES IS TAKE THEIR DRIVER'S L. & 3 YEARS IN JAIL .BUT IT DOSE NOT STOP THAT PERSON FROM GOING BACK IN A BAR TO DRINK.
I agree Passion, here is a funny double standard for you. If you leave a bar drunk they will hold the bartender responsible and arrest them but you can make a purchase in a state liquor store and stagger out to your car and if you kill someone you won't see the state store attendant get in any trouble. Here is another good example of govt hypocrits, they make big noise about making Allegheny county a non smoking area because the politically correct viewpoint is that smoking is terrible but they would be crying if a large percentage of people quit smoking because they would be losing that $1.50 per pack tax that they so cheerfully collect.
Connie

AOL

#4 May 30, 2007
Bob,
I realize that drinking and driving do not mix. However, now in Westmoreland County or Greensburg, PA they arrest you for walking. So when you are talking about drinking weather you are responsible enough and decide to walk you can still be arrested. The truth is the damn city, municipals and county are making a fortune on this. That is why these cops are to damn lazy and don't want to chase any other crime in the county. Remember when your child is missing or one of your friends or family members are murdered in an alley or a street corner the cop more than likely was arresting someone for walking while intoxicated or driving from his hometown bar and had one or two beers before going home. The cops get kick backs and the judges make their fortunes while the assholes like ourselves work for a living and go have a beer and we are over the limit. Don't think your local cop or judge isn't sitting in the bar to.
Tina latrobe

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Jun 15, 2008
They let them off too easy. But it is a huge money maker for the state.

Since: Mar 08

Harrisburg, PA

#6 Jun 20, 2008
Connie wrote:
Bob,
I realize that drinking and driving do not mix. However, now in Westmoreland County or Greensburg, PA they arrest you for walking. So when you are talking about drinking weather you are responsible enough and decide to walk you can still be arrested. The truth is the damn city, municipals and county are making a fortune on this. That is why these cops are to damn lazy and don't want to chase any other crime in the county. Remember when your child is missing or one of your friends or family members are murdered in an alley or a street corner the cop more than likely was arresting someone for walking while intoxicated or driving from his hometown bar and had one or two beers before going home. The cops get kick backs and the judges make their fortunes while the assholes like ourselves work for a living and go have a beer and we are over the limit. Don't think your local cop or judge isn't sitting in the bar to.
Arresting walking drunks- glad to hear Greensburg is dealing with the real issues! There's a huge heroin problem here, when I lived in downtown there were needles in the streets and parking lots all the time.

Cops, I'm sure, have all the means in the world at their disposal to get rid of any negative charges they might encounter, as if being a cop and driving drunk automatically means you won't kill someone. It would be a better world if they faced the same justice they dish out...
Jim B

Uniontown, PA

#7 Jun 20, 2008
Tina latrobe wrote:
They let them off too easy. But it is a huge money maker for the state.
Yea, and it's the tax payers who foot the bill for the one's who live off of the government, not to mention the fact that we pay for a politicians DUI also.
Jim B

Uniontown, PA

#8 Jun 20, 2008
We support their drug and alcohol habits too! What do you think the sponges do after cashing "their so called checks", straight to the bar to pay their bar bills and get drunk, then start a new bar bill after drinking up all of their non working checks. Oh! By the way, I've heard the bums refer to their government checks as "my pay check." They refer to the day that they receive their checks as payday too! Then there's the drug problem that we also support! That's why there's so many needles on the streets and in the parking lots. The government is to blame for all of those dirty diseased needles because they let these thugs on disability and welfare to easy. Then there's the meth clinics that they go to and we pay for that. If the government sees that they go to these clnics and are not getting off of the drugs, then they should have their checks taken away. Same for alcohol - they go to these AA meetings at our expense, mostly because they have gotten a DUI and are forced to go. We pay for their way to these clinics too because the government provides transportation to and from there. If they go there and don't clean up their act, then I'm sorry, they should lose their checks too! If your a working man and become disabled they'll deny you everything, and they'll do everything possible to try to keep you working. I know I'm off topic here, but it's the truth! Bottom line here is that the government lets all of this go on "just for the money" Hell, without this cycle continuing there would be a lot of useless jobs cut, now wouldn't there be? It's a never ending cycle and the government and the lazy bums keep it rotating! "It's called abusing the system" and it's only getting worse!!!!
uh huh

Acme, PA

#9 Jun 20, 2008
DWI is an industry, period. did you there is a van that goes around and picks up heroin addicts and transports them to their "meetings?" Guess who
is paying for that?
Jim B

Uniontown, PA

#10 Jun 20, 2008
uh huh wrote:
DWI is an industry, period. did you there is a van that goes around and picks up heroin addicts and transports them to their "meetings?" Guess who
is paying for that?
Do you know that the government provides and pays for a sponser through behavior health services to transport them to these places too? The sponser takes them to the drug store to get their drugs too! How about that? Must be nice huh, especially considering the gas prices that we tax payers are forced to pay for. We can't even afford to pay for gas for our own vehicles! Who transports the heroin addicts in a van to their meetings?
Jim B

Uniontown, PA

#11 Jun 20, 2008
uh huh wrote:
DWI is an industry, period. did you there is a van that goes around and picks up heroin addicts and transports them to their "meetings?" Guess who
is paying for that?
Will they ever have to actually pay for anything out of their own pockets with their own hard working money instead of pick pocketing us hard working men and women?

Since: Mar 08

Harrisburg, PA

#12 Jun 23, 2008
I like how people are rewarded for breaking the law- ie using drugs. Where's free transit (and parking) for people whose kids have medical conditions that have to go in and out of Oakland all the time?

This is why drugs should never be legal. It may reduce some of the crime, but we'd be so enmeshed in taking care of these addicts, I doubt they'd be wiping their own *sses when it is all said and done.
true

Hookstown, PA

#13 Dec 6, 2012
I agree

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mcnally bridge suicides (Jun '15) Fri Tom 24
News Flexing its mussels Jun 21 stop the madness 1
TRIBUNE-DEMOCRAT Touts Penalized CULT's Convent... (Jul '12) Jun 11 Johns Towner 6
ANTI-AMERICAN CULT Praised By Johnstown's ANDY ... (Jan '13) Jun 10 Revere friend 11
JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES Named HONORARY CITIZENS of ... (Jun '13) Jun 10 Patriot 5
TRIBUNE DEMOCRAT Promotes ANTI-GOVERNMENT CULT'... (Jul '12) Jun 9 Patriot Watch 17
News Glimpse of Greencastle: 'Peggy Ann' talks of '6... (Sep '09) Jun 5 dbarket1 30
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indiana Mortgages