Glimpse of Greencastle: 'Peggy Ann' talks of '66 kidnapping

At the Greencastle-Antrim Lioness Club meeting earlier this week in the Antrim House Restaurant, Peggy Ann Bradnick Jackson spoke. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Alan Batterman

White Plains, NY

#24 Oct 5, 2009
mike wrote:
if everyone who claims they, their brother or their father joined the search is correct there were at least 10,000 searchers.......
It was scary back than because this was your first exposure to this kind of thing, it is scarier now because we know now it happens all the time.
and I agree his name should not be brought up, you can talk about it without mentioning his name.
Not necessarily, several different people might be related to the same searcher and be reporting it.
misinformation

Hanover, PA

#25 Oct 5, 2009
Alan Batterman wrote:
This story contradicts the story in the 16 Jul 1966 Saturday Evening Post. There is no mention of a broken jaw or any serious injuries in the Post. Nor of a knife or of him pushing her face into the water. And in the Post, she recognizes him and blurts it out after he removes his disguise on Day 1.
The newspaper probably made a few errors. It happens.
Alan Batterman

White Plains, NY

#26 Oct 5, 2009
misinformation wrote:
<quoted text>
The newspaper probably made a few errors. It happens.
There is a revisionist version of what happened to Peggy Ann going around. Those "errors" are a part of that revisionist version. The newspaper might have picked up that version and printing excerpts without verifying them.
Alan Batterman

White Plains, NY

#27 Oct 5, 2009
Fordguy wrote:
<quoted text>
The story I heard was that he had, indeed, shot and killed the kidnapper, but the State Police threatened to charge him with manslaughter if he didn't back down and let them claim credit. This came from someone very closely connected to the case. He is named in the book Deadly Pursuit.
The house where the final gun battle occurred is still standing near Burnt Cabins. It looks rather decrepit now. You can see it from the westbound side of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. For years the shack where the kidnapper lived was visible from the main road between Burnt Cabins and Shade Gap (it was still standing in the mid-1980s), but it is gone now.
Actually, you could only see the Mountain Man's cabins from Rte. 522 in the Winter; in the Summer, you couldn't see them through the trees.
They collapsed sometime before 1993. Coming north on 522, as you approach the Rubeck farm, if you look to your left, you can see the cattle gate that stopped the Mountain Man, precipitating the final gun battle.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#28 Jan 22, 2010
Does anyone know anything about Bicycle Pete Holinbaugh motives.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#29 Jan 26, 2010
The locals told me of Bicycle Pet.They said when he was young he was caught stealing tools,hammer saw etc .Eventally they sent him to the insane wards.At that time its my understanding when you was placed there an inmate didnt get a release date,you stayed there for a very long time.Did they drive him Nuts.Some of their methods in the 1950s and before was kinda rough.Apparently he was trying to get something started before he nabbed PeggyAnn.An older law enforcement officer told of finding trees accross secondary roads and strange shootings.One person lost a leg from this.Was this his revenge if so he would have been an early home grown terrrist.
eee16

Carlisle, PA

#30 Aug 25, 2010
Can anyone tell me the exact location of the Rubeck farm?
Alan Batterman

Yonkers, NY

#31 Feb 3, 2011
eee16 wrote:
Can anyone tell me the exact location of the Rubeck farm?
On US Route 522, in Burnt Cabins, about 3 miles north of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. If you can give me an e-mail address, I can send you a picture.
Alan Batterman

Yonkers, NY

#32 Feb 3, 2011
IGAVEU wrote:
The locals told me of Bicycle Pet.They said when he was young he was caught stealing tools,hammer saw etc .Eventally they sent him to the insane wards.At that time its my understanding when you was placed there an inmate didnt get a release date,you stayed there for a very long time.Did they drive him Nuts.Some of their methods in the 1950s and before was kinda rough.Apparently he was trying to get something started before he nabbed PeggyAnn.An older law enforcement officer told of finding trees accross secondary roads and strange shootings.One person lost a leg from this.Was this his revenge if so he would have been an early home grown terrrist.
The shootings, and putting logs across road, were earlier attempts to kidnap a woman before he took Peggy Ann. In 1939, he was convicted of burglary and sentenced to 20 years, he was back and forth between prison and the insane asylum. He was released in 1959. He came to Shade Gap in 1962. The shootings began in 1964.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Speed Trap Locations Dec 18 Samual 1
Magistrate suspended. Nov 26 So annoying 6
Is tire chains.com a scam site? (Feb '10) Nov 21 Bill 8
Truck Drivers lose jobs Nov 21 sayone 1
The Johnstown Mentality (Jan '14) Nov '14 Get Out Now 12
The Son of God Oct '14 Son of God 1
Missing Bio Father Terrence Wise, Any Info Let ... (Oct '10) Sep '14 ur auntie 3
Indiana Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Indiana People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Indiana News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Indiana

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:22 pm PST

NFL 8:22PM