Glimpse of Greencastle: 'Peggy Ann' talks of '66 kidnapping

At the Greencastle-Antrim Lioness Club meeting earlier this week in the Antrim House Restaurant, Peggy Ann Bradnick Jackson spoke. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bluemoo

Morrisville, PA

#1 Sep 26, 2009
I remember my father (we lived in Fayetteville), along with some friends and neigbors participating in the search for Peggy Ann...I also remember the relief in the community when she was rescued. As this article states, there was indeed a record/song dedicated to the ordeal...It's called "Eight Days at Sha-de Gap"...I'm sure lot's of folks in the area had the 45, I know we did and my brother and I played it over and over again as it was a catchy tune...it's interesting to listen to it after all these years!

Here's a link to the song...take a listen.

You can find it on You Tube
I Remember

Greencastle, PA

#2 Sep 26, 2009
Jay Appleby of Neelyton, was one of the many who joined the search for Peggy Ann. Jay was employed at SKF Industries in Shippensburg at the time. He and other were given time off to join the search party.
Just wondering

Anna, OH

#3 Sep 26, 2009
When she spoke in McConnellsburg High School, did anyone think it odd, that about only one of the people who helped look for her was there? Lots more to the story!!!
onewhoknows

Absecon, NJ

#4 Sep 26, 2009
I am sure there is more to the story - all stories have more to tell. From what I have read over the years, Peggy Ann Bradnick Jackson has spent most of her adult life trying to help others. That is definitely a good thing to come out of a very bad situation that took lives and could have ruined hers. I personally knew one of the PSP officers that was there. Yes there was more to the story, especially for all that helped and what they went through.
bluemoo

Morrisville, PA

#5 Sep 26, 2009
onewhoknows wrote:
I am sure there is more to the story - all stories have more to tell. From what I have read over the years, Peggy Ann Bradnick Jackson has spent most of her adult life trying to help others. That is definitely a good thing to come out of a very bad situation that took lives and could have ruined hers. I personally knew one of the PSP officers that was there. Yes there was more to the story, especially for all that helped and what they went through.
You're probably right...more to the story. I too am so glad that Peggy Ann was able to overcome what must have been a horrific ordeal and was able to dedicate her life to helping others. God bless her, her family, and the brave folks who went to help.
not a victim

Hanover, PA

#6 Sep 26, 2009
Peggy Ann way to overcome your fears and be a great example to others.
IED

Hanover, PA

#7 Sep 26, 2009
Just wondering wrote:
When she spoke in McConnellsburg High School, did anyone think it odd, that about only one of the people who helped look for her was there? Lots more to the story!!!
In an article in the Fulton County News Peggy Ann states:

"She also very strongly set the record straight about the many rumors that were talked about after her rescue. "
soldiers mother

Fayetteville, PA

#8 Sep 26, 2009
I remember very well when Peggy Ann was kidnapped. She is from a good family that went thru a lot of heartache & grief at the time. My grandfather was friends with them & when she was finally home safe she was still the same sweet person who deserves a lot of credit for overcoming the horror she went thru. It has been years since I have seen her & am happy to see the work she is doing to help other people. Peggy Ann has God on her side to overcome what she has to do something good with her life. Peggy someday I hope to see you again, you are an inspiration to a lot. God bless you & your family.
hmmm

Chambersburg, PA

#9 Sep 26, 2009
First I heard of this story. It is really amazing. She sounds like a lovely, strong, and selfless person.
bb from Dry Run

Gettysburg, PA

#10 Sep 27, 2009
Oh yes, I remember, My father helped search for her, and then after they shot and killed him we went to see where that happened at. I have the magazines that they printed Peggy Ann's story in!!
PO Reader

Baltimore, MD

#11 Sep 27, 2009
Rest in peace - Terry Ray Anderson. Glad to see that Peggy is doing well and over the years has had a positive influence on the lives of various people.
Jones

Chambersburg, PA

#12 Sep 28, 2009
People talk about how bad life is today. Well anyone who lived back then must remember the scary times we were living in. Peggy Ann plight had us all living in fear. The Viet Nam War was just getting ramped up. We were going thru Missile alerts by getting down under our desks in School and marching to Fallout Shelters. The President and other Assinations. So I too am glad Peggy Ann is doing well.
curious

Willow Street, PA

#13 Sep 28, 2009
im interested to know what were the rumors that were going around?
Wanting to know

Hanover, PA

#14 Sep 28, 2009
I heard one story that said it was a young boy who shot & killed Hollenbaugh, but because of his young age, state police took responsiblity for the shooting. Does anyone know if this is true??
Jones

Chambersburg, PA

#17 Sep 28, 2009
Yes
soldiers mother

Fayetteville, PA

#19 Sep 28, 2009
First off, you have the name wrong & doesn't anyone stop to think he may not want his name splattered all over here. It was sad enough two lives & Terry's dog were lost. Thank God Peggy was strong enough of a person to survive with "Pete" all that time.
mike

Holmdel, NJ

#20 Sep 28, 2009
if everyone who claims they, their brother or their father joined the search is correct there were at least 10,000 searchers.......

It was scary back than because this was your first exposure to this kind of thing, it is scarier now because we know now it happens all the time.

and I agree his name should not be brought up, you can talk about it without mentioning his name.
Pamela Sue Chapman Wrenn

United States

#21 Sep 29, 2009
I know my father Marshall Chapman and brother Mahlon Chapman searched everyday for Peggy Ann, we also knew Bill Holinbaugh, daddy used to pick him up put the bike in the back of the truck and take him home, all I can say is Peggy was always so nice to me on the school bus I would get on in Shade Gap to go to the high school, and I am so proud of how you went on with life in the positive, instead of letting it destroy you,
Fordguy

Harrisburg, PA

#22 Sep 30, 2009
Wanting to know wrote:
I heard one story that said it was a young boy who shot & killed Hollenbaugh, but because of his young age, state police took responsiblity for the shooting. Does anyone know if this is true??
The story I heard was that he had, indeed, shot and killed the kidnapper, but the State Police threatened to charge him with manslaughter if he didn't back down and let them claim credit. This came from someone very closely connected to the case. He is named in the book Deadly Pursuit.

The house where the final gun battle occurred is still standing near Burnt Cabins. It looks rather decrepit now. You can see it from the westbound side of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. For years the shack where the kidnapper lived was visible from the main road between Burnt Cabins and Shade Gap (it was still standing in the mid-1980s), but it is gone now.
Alan Batterman

White Plains, NY

#23 Oct 5, 2009
This story contradicts the story in the 16 Jul 1966 Saturday Evening Post. There is no mention of a broken jaw or any serious injuries in the Post. Nor of a knife or of him pushing her face into the water. And in the Post, she recognizes him and blurts it out after he removes his disguise on Day 1.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indiana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 29 min Just Saying 51,487
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 4 hr Obama Helps Repub... 3,997
Magistrate suspended. 10 hr Jake 1
Tickets Sep 16 special 2
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) Sep 15 Jeremy 183
working at Health Net...and/or Highmark. Sep 10 Fred 1
pharmacy Sep 7 not from here 1
•••
•••
•••

Indiana Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Indiana People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••