Kaitlyn Hunt Case Prompts Florida State Sen. Thad Altman To Call For Changes To Law

May 30, 2013 Full story: www.huffingtonpost.com 473

A Florida state senator says he wants changes made to laws in the wake of the felony charges against Kaitlyn Hunt, an 18-year-old high school senior who was arrested for her relationship with a 15-year-old girl.

Editor's note: it's interesting that it's a traditionally conservative politician who is now speaking up in favor of Kaitlyn Hunt and how the laws criminalizing a teen relationship are unfair.

Full Story
Mud Master

Little Rock, AR

#379 Jun 18, 2013
frilled2b wrote:
<quoted text>There to retarded with there gay agenda to name the truth.
"The Federal government has a legal age of consent of 18. This law applies to any actions that take place between different states or on federal property. This makes it a crime to use any form of communication between states to try to get a minor to have sex with an adult. Even if the minor and adult are in the same state, if the communication leaves the state, it is a crime. For example, if both people live in the same state and use an instant messaging program to communicate. If the server used for the communication is in another state, this is a crime.

It is also a crime for a minor to be taken to a different state to have sex. This could happen if the 16 year old lived in a state that had an age of consent of 18 but travelled to a state where the age limit was 16. If the adult travels to a different state or a different country to have sex with a minor, this is only a federal crime if the minor is under the age of 16. It may still be a local crime if the minor was under the age of consent of the state or nation where the sex happened but it is not a federal crime."
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_sexua...
This is factual and accurate.
Mud Master

Little Rock, AR

#380 Jun 18, 2013
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>His name isn't cupcake and you deliberately evaded his question as to which state allows a 14 year old to legally consent to sex with an 18 year old. I could think of insulting names to call you, but I refuse to bring myself down to your level.
Exactly.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#381 Jun 18, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>You might actually want to look up what Florida's law does and does not require in regards to parental consent before making such dubious pronouncements. Get back to me when you can actually prove something.
You might want to note that the underage girl must either be pregnant or the mother of the child conceived by the man she wants to marry and that it is the judge's descretion as to whether to grant a license. The judge can refuse to grant the license. It doesn't give 18 year olds an absolute right to a marriage license on demand to marry a minor. It does not shield the older of the two from prosecution if one was over 18 and the other under 16 when the impregnation took place. The scenario you quote is a rare exception and hardly the rule.
Mud Master

Little Rock, AR

#383 Jun 18, 2013
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>You might want to note that the underage girl must either be pregnant or the mother of the child conceived by the man she wants to marry and that it is the judge's descretion as to whether to grant a license. The judge can refuse to grant the license. It doesn't give 18 year olds an absolute right to a marriage license on demand to marry a minor. It does not shield the older of the two from prosecution if one was over 18 and the other under 16 when the impregnation took place. The scenario you quote is a rare exception and hardly the rule.
Facts are always the best approach! Thank you for taking the time to look them up.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#384 Jun 18, 2013
flbadcatowner wrote:
Where did you get yopur information from? I consulted the following link and could find no states with an age of consent under 16.
http://www.ageofconsent.us/
In nearly all states, minor girls must get parental approval for marriage.
Your link fails to provide what is permissible under those "age gap provisions" they list as being out there, that's why I provided the link I did, because it does. It's under these so-called Romeo and Juliet laws that this would have been legal in some states. The states where the minimum is set at 14 or younger and allows for an at least 4 years in age difference and you have the difference between felonious and consensual. Florida's statutes in this area currently allows for a 23 year-old to play with someone as young as 16, something incredibly creepier than an immature high school senior old smitten with a high school freshman who the law doesn't consider her as mature as she thought, which is currently illegal.

When it comes to underage marriage laws and parental consent, Florida's law has a loophole you can drive a pregnant and underaged teenager through.

this one

#385 Jun 18, 2013
flbadcatowner wrote:
His name isn't cupcake and you deliberately evaded his question as to which state allows a 14 year old to legally consent to sex with an 18 year old. I could think of insulting names to call you, but I refuse to bring myself down to your level.
For the time being, he is my cupcake, fluffy, sweet and not my first pick from the dessert cart.

Dear, I provided him the link to look them up himself and I gave my assurance that he would in fact find states where 18 and 14 is not currently criminal. How pray tell is that my avoiding answering his question? He didn't even have to take my word for it, I provided him with everything he needed to prove me wrong. It isn't my fault that I'm not wrong and he was too lazy to learn something for himself.

this one

#387 Jun 18, 2013
flbadcatowner wrote:
You might want to note that the underage girl must either be pregnant or the mother of the child conceived by the man she wants to marry and that it is the judge's descretion as to whether to grant a license. The judge can refuse to grant the license. It doesn't give 18 year olds an absolute right to a marriage license on demand to marry a minor. It does not shield the older of the two from prosecution if one was over 18 and the other under 16 when the impregnation took place. The scenario you quote is a rare exception and hardly the rule.
While granted the scenario is rare and probably best for all concerned that it never happen at all, it isn't an exception to the law, it is what the law expressly allows to occur. Stamp all the parental, judicial, legal seals of approval on it you want, what the law actually does is still creepy.

While one does have the right to marry, no one has yet been bestowed the right to marry a minor. The state's compelling interest in the protection of the collective welfare of those deemed minor and thus incompetent, outweighs the individual right to marry one. Whatever seal of approval a state wants or doesn't want to give to such relationship, of no interest to the Constitution.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#388 Jun 18, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Your link fails to provide what is permissible under those "age gap provisions" they list as being out there, that's why I provided the link I did, because it does. It's under these so-called Romeo and Juliet laws that this would have been legal in some states. The states where the minimum is set at 14 or younger and allows for an at least 4 years in age difference and you have the difference between felonious and consensual. Florida's statutes in this area currently allows for a 23 year-old to play with someone as young as 16, something incredibly creepier than an immature high school senior old smitten with a high school freshman who the law doesn't consider her as mature as she thought, which is currently illegal.
When it comes to underage marriage laws and parental consent, Florida's law has a loophole you can drive a pregnant and underaged teenager through.
No Romeo and Juliet laws completely decriminalize sex between an 18 year old ans a 14 year old. In Florida, they are applied at the descretion of the judge handling the case and can be used as a mitigating circumstance in deciding whether or not to punish the perpetrator severely or let him/her off with a slap on the wrist or something in between. It doesn't grant blanket immunity in any case. If the age difference is as much as one day over 4 years, it will not apply in Florida and it becomes a plain old statutory rape case.

Plainly and simply, sex by an 18 year old is wrong with anybody under the legal age of consent, and it is sexual predation bordering on child abuse. 18 on 14 is an adult with an older child, no matter how one slices it and is despicable. I hope I am wrong, but it appears you have no problem with it and perhaps you might even favor further lowering the age of consent.

The other part of what you posted was answered in a previous post and once again, it didn't decriminalize 18 on 14 sex. It only allowed for a judge AT HIS OWN DISCRETION to make exceptions for parental approval in certain specific and narrowly narrowly defined cases that involved a girl's pregnancy or birth of a child. It still doesn't shield a perpetrator from statutory rape laws.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#389 Jun 18, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>For the time being, he is my cupcake, fluffy, sweet and not my first pick from the dessert cart.
Dear, I provided him the link to look them up himself and I gave my assurance that he would in fact find states where 18 and 14 is not currently criminal. How pray tell is that my avoiding answering his question? He didn't even have to take my word for it, I provided him with everything he needed to prove me wrong. It isn't my fault that I'm not wrong and he was too lazy to learn something for himself.
Fantasize all you want. He will never be your gay lover. Nowhere has 18 on 14 been decriminalized. Certain Romeo and Juliet laws mitigate the degree of criminality and severety of punishment involved, but they never totally decriminalize it, period.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#390 Jun 18, 2013
Mud Master wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly.
He still hasn't proven that some states allow an 18 year old to have sex with a 14 year old.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#394 Jun 18, 2013
Lilith_Sparkles wrote:
<quoted text>you mean like your god promotes
I have already said that I am no longer a practicing Christian. Wake up!

this one

#396 Jun 18, 2013
flbadcatowner wrote:
No Romeo and Juliet laws completely decriminalize sex between an 18 year old ans a 14 year old.
Since you have already been provided a link to information that proves the first thing out of your keyboard to be a factually inaccurate statement, I'm going to stop you there. The reality is that these laws carve out exceptions that range from the reasonable to the creepy and there is little uniformity to them.

This is a case of two kids in the same high school going too far, not the warm-up for a pedophile. It's a case which, even if the roles were of parties were of the opposite sex, should have been what they had in mind when they thought Romeo and Juliette, not a 23 year old college student down on spring break boinking your 16 year old daughter. Just so you know, the notion that kids aren't going to be mature enough to make their own decisions about whether or not to have sex until they hit at least 16, little more than a century old. Before the children's rights movement, no state had an age of consent older than 14.

this one

#397 Jun 18, 2013
flbadcatowner wrote:
Fantasize all you want. He will never be your gay lover.
Not sure whose fantasy you found there dear, but it isn't mine. I'm into men and despite any claims he might have to the contrary, he doesn't qualify. Are you sure that didn't just fall out of your own pocket?

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#398 Jun 18, 2013
Lilith_Sparkles wrote:
<quoted text>oh you got tired of supporting murder rape and hate... good for you
It certainly doesn't mean I support your Scheiß either.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#399 Jun 18, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure whose fantasy you found there dear, but it isn't mine. I'm into men and despite any claims he might have to the contrary, he doesn't qualify. Are you sure that didn't just fall out of your own pocket?
I didn't describe the man with all the sweet confectionary comments you heaped on him which are certainly consistent with affection toward him on your part. I will also never be your dear. I have no intention of trading in my beautiful wife for your dirty turdy anal passage.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#400 Jun 18, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Since you have already been provided a link to information that proves the first thing out of your keyboard to be a factually inaccurate statement, I'm going to stop you there. The reality is that these laws carve out exceptions that range from the reasonable to the creepy and there is little uniformity to them.
This is a case of two kids in the same high school going too far, not the warm-up for a pedophile. It's a case which, even if the roles were of parties were of the opposite sex, should have been what they had in mind when they thought Romeo and Juliette, not a 23 year old college student down on spring break boinking your 16 year old daughter. Just so you know, the notion that kids aren't going to be mature enough to make their own decisions about whether or not to have sex until they hit at least 16, little more than a century old. Before the children's rights movement, no state had an age of consent older than 14.
You have yet to submit even a shred of proof that an 18 year old can have sex with a 14 year old with the expectation of no legal consequences anywhere in the U.S. All we have is your ingenuous claim and nothing else. A 14 year old age of consent worked much better in a society where HIV was less pevalent and when young girls were more likely to just say no until they were married. Babies having babies only adds to our already exploding welfare costs.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#401 Jun 18, 2013
Lilith_Sparkles wrote:
heck with gods track record christains must love hitler
lilith, while you & i are the same side insofar as same sex marriage goes....i just want you to know that not all christians are as you portray them to be. some of us are mean spirited and selfish with the name of christian...some of us point fingers at everyone else while forgetting about our own sin and evilness...some of us are selfish and any number of other failings that humans suffer from.

but not all of us see things the same way. so please, when you malign christians, just be aware that not all of us paint that same ugly picture of christ as some do up here.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#403 Jun 18, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
lilith, while you & i are the same side insofar as same sex marriage goes....i just want you to know that not all christians are as you portray them to be. some of us are mean spirited and selfish with the name of christian...some of us point fingers at everyone else while forgetting about our own sin and evilness...some of us are selfish and any number of other failings that humans suffer from.
but not all of us see things the same way. so please, when you malign Christians, just be aware that not all of us paint that same ugly picture of Christ as some do up here.
When I was embracing Christianity, I found much of what you said to be true. There were for certain, some really pompous and obnoxious windbags among their number, but there were also some genuinely nice people. The poster you responded to was born with both male and female organs and was mistreated by her own family which was deeply religious, but I will question how Christian they were. Sometimes I don't know whether to be outraged at her or fell sorry for her.

this one

#404 Jun 18, 2013
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't describe the man with all the sweet confectionary comments you heaped on him which are certainly consistent with affection toward him on your part. I will also never be your dear. I have no intention of trading in my beautiful wife for your dirty turdy anal passage.
You will always be my dear, dear and your homoerotic fantasies are no one's but your own.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#406 Jun 18, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>You will always be my dear, dear and your homoerotic fantasies are no one's but your own.
Dream on, troll.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indian River Shores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
legit pain P.I.L.L.S n m/ar.iju/an.a 14 hr vero beach guy 1
Discount food stores in Vero Beach? Feb 24 firenado 2
Gloria and Emilio Estefan to open hotel in Vero... (Jun '07) Feb 23 HGR 21
TCPalm Sucks (Jun '11) Feb 19 Frank 2
Crustys GONE (Jan '14) Feb 10 mapman 3
Looking for Betty Davis Feb 9 foreman 2
Filomena Beaute' Day Spa Oct '14 Filomena 1
More from around the web

Indian River Shores People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:42 pm PST

NBC Sports 8:42PM
Josh McCown discusses his decision to join the Browns
Bleacher Report 9:40 PM
Weighing Pros and Cons of Bucs' Top FA Targets
Bleacher Report10:40 PM
Free Agent or Draft: How Should Dolphins Fill Biggest Holes
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Weighing the Pros and Cons of Top Free-Agent Targets
Bleacher Report 9:17 AM
How Should the Bucs Fill Their Biggest Holes?