Kaitlyn Hunt Case Prompts Florida Sta...

Kaitlyn Hunt Case Prompts Florida State Sen. Thad Altman To Call For Changes To Law

There are 473 comments on the www.huffingtonpost.com story from May 30, 2013, titled Kaitlyn Hunt Case Prompts Florida State Sen. Thad Altman To Call For Changes To Law. In it, www.huffingtonpost.com reports that:

A Florida state senator says he wants changes made to laws in the wake of the felony charges against Kaitlyn Hunt, an 18-year-old high school senior who was arrested for her relationship with a 15-year-old girl.

Editor's note: it's interesting that it's a traditionally conservative politician who is now speaking up in favor of Kaitlyn Hunt and how the laws criminalizing a teen relationship are unfair.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.huffingtonpost.com.

First Prev
of 24
Next Last

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#1 May 30, 2013
Yup! There's a HUGE difference between protecting under-age youth from sexual predators and recognizing that when you're between the ages of about 15 and about 18, all kids in your age group seem the same to you.

It makes no sense to have an arbitrary rule in place that blindly punishes person A for doing something with person B without regard to what's really going on.

Although, I do have to say, that Kaitlyn DID screw up and should have known better. Sad, but true.

When I was 17, I was dating another 17-year-old guy for a while. I was going to turn 18 about four months before he did. Our counselors at school and several P-Flag parents warned us in no uncertain terms that we were taking a HUGE risk if we continued to see each other during those four months as my boyfriend's parents were *very* hostile toward him being gay and, by extension, me for "corrupting" their otherwise perfect son. His parents could have had me arrested and charged with a sex crime and there was nothing anyone could do about it. This was 1981 and things were even less advanced than they are now.

As fate would have it, he and I broke up shortly before I turned 18 so we never had to face the "what if" question, but the truth is that the laws are stacked against young people in favor of the tyranny of their sometimes hateful and bigoted parents. Again, sad but true.

“Still an outsider”

Since: Jan 07

Dagus Mines, PA

#2 May 30, 2013
17 and 18 is a bit different than 14 and 18

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#3 May 30, 2013
frilled2b wrote:
17 and 18 is a bit different than 14 and 18
and 14 and 17 is 3 years apart. Which is the case here.

I've noticed that the age of the younger girl never changes (14) yet the older girl just had a birthday, and is suddenly 4 years older than the other girl?

“Still an outsider”

Dagus Mines, PA

#5 May 30, 2013
What part did you miss it was a lye that the age was 17 and 15. Read the affidavit. http://spectator.org/blog/2013/05/23/freekate...

“Still an outsider”

Dagus Mines, PA

#6 May 30, 2013
Here is how innocent this Kate chick is. http://www.viralread.com/2013/05/28/beat-her-...

“Still an outsider”

Dagus Mines, PA

#7 May 30, 2013
Found more truths.
http://supporthonesty.net/

Can You Count All the Rationalizations and Lies Offered by Kaitlyn HuntÂ’s Mom?
http://theothermccain.com/2013/05/30/can-you-...
Sir Andrew

Honolulu, HI

#9 May 30, 2013
If we ignore the propaganda, Truth, we would be skipping your entry altogether. And by the way, 14 is not a child. And the "adult" was sub-18 when the two girls began their affair. The parents of the older girl waited on the sidelines, panting with eagerness, until Kaitlyn turned 18 so they could have her arrested for something that was legal only a day earlier. This law, and the way it was applied here, is beyond stupid. The parents of the younger girl are going to ruin several lives with their actions. Their daughter will suffer as well as her girlfriend. She will feel forever guilty if her girlfriend ends up in prison for simply being in love and growing older first. This is the sort of thing that drives teens to suicide. Then there is Kaitlyn's family. And, though I'm sure they haven't thought of it, the hateful parents themselves will find their own lives ruined, and in several ways. It will take a while for it to sink in, but they are changing things for themselves in a way that they'll never be able to undo. Most especially is the loss of their daughter. If she doesn't kill herself over this, she will certainly say goodbye to her hateful mommy and daddy as soon as she's able. And who would blame her. This is a tragedy all around. I hope the creeps in the government who wrote this law are proud of themselves.

“Still an outsider”

Dagus Mines, PA

#10 May 30, 2013
Sir Andrew wrote:
If we ignore the propaganda, Truth, we would be skipping your entry altogether. And by the way, 14 is not a child. And the "adult" was sub-18 when the two girls began their affair. The parents of the older girl waited on the sidelines, panting with eagerness, until Kaitlyn turned 18 so they could have her arrested for something that was legal only a day earlier. This law, and the way it was applied here, is beyond stupid. The parents of the younger girl are going to ruin several lives with their actions. Their daughter will suffer as well as her girlfriend. She will feel forever guilty if her girlfriend ends up in prison for simply being in love and growing older first. This is the sort of thing that drives teens to suicide. Then there is Kaitlyn's family. And, though I'm sure they haven't thought of it, the hateful parents themselves will find their own lives ruined, and in several ways. It will take a while for it to sink in, but they are changing things for themselves in a way that they'll never be able to undo. Most especially is the loss of their daughter. If she doesn't kill herself over this, she will certainly say goodbye to her hateful mommy and daddy as soon as she's able. And who would blame her. This is a tragedy all around. I hope the creeps in the government who wrote this law are proud of themselves.
That is the lies they want everyone to believe. Even if things were consensual sex should not take place in the bathroom at school. Kate ruined her own life by having sex with a child.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#15 May 30, 2013
Funny, how may straight guys get away with this all the time yet when it's a gay couple, then the laws are enforced.

“Still an outsider”

Dagus Mines, PA

#16 May 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Funny, how may straight guys get away with this all the time yet when it's a gay couple, then the laws are enforced.
straight guys get charged all the time for this, look it up.

“Still an outsider”

Dagus Mines, PA

#17 May 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Student arrested at graduation for having sex with underage girls
http://www.live5news.com/story/22440357/stude...
Beaminster man jailed after admitting sex with 14-year-old
http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/10395222.Man...
You want more? You to hard headed to look it up and face the truth.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#18 May 30, 2013
frilled2b wrote:
<quoted text>
Student arrested at graduation for having sex with underage girls
http://www.live5news.com/story/22440357/stude...
Beaminster man jailed after admitting sex with 14-year-old
http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/10395222.Man...
You want more? You to hard headed to look it up and face the truth.
Oh the irony! One is about the UK, not the US, and the other .... broke several laws, not just one, and one of those laws made it public knowledge thus forcing the officials to step in. My assertion still stands.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#20 May 30, 2013
Pepper wrote:
<quoted text>
You stupid freak, straight guys get charged all the time. It just don't make the news because their not ho:mos.Ho:mos always want attention and as much media as they can get. It's funny how you freaks believe, just because they're HO:MOS, they should be exempt from the law. Not going to happen.
Cop out, who said I was just going by the news? There are more sources.

“Still an outsider”

Dagus Mines, PA

#21 May 30, 2013
I had a friend go to jail for having a 14 year old girl friend. Everything was ok till they broke up and the girl's mother turned. That was in PA he was 18.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#22 May 30, 2013
frilled2b wrote:
I had a friend go to jail for having a 14 year old girl friend. Everything was ok till they broke up and the girl's mother turned. That was in PA he was 18.
Many states are adopting policy changes to prevent this kind of frivolous problem, a more flexible dating age law that goes with the age difference when one party is under 18, since most such cases are also dating prior to one turning 18. But my prior assertion still stands.
looking back

Columbia, IL

#24 May 30, 2013
in most cases its all about if the victim testifies that charges are correct. or wittesses.
looking back

Columbia, IL

#25 May 31, 2013
if kate already said she did it to the cops case closed the law is the law.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#26 May 31, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>and 14 and 17 is 3 years apart. Which is the case here.
I've noticed that the age of the younger girl never changes (14) yet the older girl just had a birthday, and is suddenly 4 years older than the other girl?
Actually, her age has been REDUCING for she started out at 15 and obviously recently turned 14. I'm sure she'll hit 13 any day now.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#28 May 31, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Many states are adopting policy changes to prevent this kind of frivolous problem, a more flexible dating age law that goes with the age difference when one party is under 18, since most such cases are also dating prior to one turning 18. But my prior assertion still stands.
Absolutely! It's not about when the clock strikes midnight on the night that the first one turns 18. It's about the fact that, to these two young women,*THEY* didn't see what they were doing as a problem at all. They are classmates at school, they play on the same sports teams, see each other in the lunch room.

This is classic "young love" at work. There was no child rape or molestation here. No one took advantage of anyone.(Well, not until the one girl's parents did!)

When I was in high school, I had no idea how old most of my friends were because I didn't care. It was a small alternative ed school and we all kind of knew what grade each other was in, but exactly how many birthdays we'd all had just wasn't material to most of us.

I'm just it was the same with these two. They were just two kids exploring what love is. It's really tragic that the angry idiot parents are being so vengeful. In ten years, they'll be wringing their hands and wondering why their daughter never calls or visits anymore....
Juan

Vero Beach, FL

#29 May 31, 2013
Let's assume she was a big 18 year old buck niqqir. This discussion would not even be taking place.

She's got to be sick to stick her fingers and face into that little girls tee tee. She admitted to it on two occasions since turning 18.

She's guilty, in her own words.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 24
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indian River Shores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Olivadoti Nov 20 All is fair 1
Missing Person Nov 8 Crying Eyes 1
Obama care the truth (Sep '14) Nov 7 Well now grow a set 3
World Leaders Ridicule U. S. Because of Trump ! Nov 4 Frank Underwood 1
News Florida student, 18, criminally charged after l... (May '13) Oct '16 Gordon 507
News Home's luxury distinguished (Dec '06) Oct '16 ORIGINAL WILLARD 2
URGENT!-Missing Woman-JEANNINE ERWIN 34yrs old-... (Jul '06) Aug '16 Makayla arnold 15

Indian River Shores Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Indian River Shores Mortgages