Independence, MO - How has it stayed so white?

Posted in the Independence Forum

Blake

Kansas City, MO

#1 Feb 6, 2012
With the incredibly inexpensive older housing stock in Independence, especially western Independence closest to the KCMO border, how has Independence avoided a huge influx of blacks? It seems rather remarkable.

I'll admit I think it's a good thing, because otherwise the violent crime rate, crime in general, quality of schools, neighborhoods, retail, etc. would have really gone down hill. As it is, inner (old) Independence is doing quite well. There seems to be a lot of folks that are loyal and care about the town. It's neat how a humble, working-class town/suburb can still exist in 2012 and be successful. It's nice to have a place where a legit working person can actually afford to buy a house, have a family, and still be in a decent neighborhood not overrun with violent crime and deserted by retail stores. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for cheap housing, which Independence provides, but usually it becomes infested with trouble-causing blacks, and therefore decent people have to shell out a huge amount to buy an overpriced house to be in a safe and decent neighborhood. That this hasn't happened is what's remarkable. Whatever Independence is doing, I hope they keep it up!

Raytown, on the other hand, has held on pretty well, but 2000-2010 saw a pretty large increase in blacks, unfortunately.

God, let's hope Independence, Raytown, NKC, etc. have to absorb the KCMO school district's students. I think that could result in people fleeing those districts leaving them in nearly as bad of shape as KCMO currently is.
billy whiskers

Kansas City, MO

#2 Feb 6, 2012
it could have to do with different rental property rules in independence. there are some black people in western independence.
Blake

Kansas City, MO

#3 Feb 7, 2012
I suppose that's possible. But I'd imagine there are rental houses in western Independence.

Nobody else wants to comment?
Blake

Kansas City, MO

#4 Feb 7, 2012
Maybe Joseph Smith blessed the community, kind of like Salt Lake City and Utah? LOL
Used to live there

Byron, GA

#5 Apr 17, 2012
Maybe there aren't enough drugs or they can't pick up their rap stations from inner or east Independence!
Aint takin the bait

Warner Robins, GA

#6 Apr 17, 2012
This shit was posted by Jessie Jackson and ya'all fell into his trap. Dumbasses.
upgrade

Overland Park, KS

#7 Apr 21, 2012
Racism lives!!!
idiots screaming racism

Lewisville, TX

#8 Aug 12, 2012
you move into a city that's dominantly white to escape crime and you're called racist.only uneducated thugs do this.it's a fact that cities that are dominated by minorities are much higher in crime than all white areas.but minorities love to pull the stats out and pick out those few areas that are the exception to the rule(what maybe 2 or 3%?) and use them as part of their argument.now THOSE are the dumbasses!!.i'll stick to my lily white city and leave them
ghetto areas to the thugs.i'm happy in my predominantly white,peaceful city of 12,000//
di di

Independence, MO

#9 Sep 2, 2012
Blake wrote:
With the incredibly inexpensive older housing stock in Independence, especially western Independence closest to the KCMO border, how has Independence avoided a huge influx of blacks? It seems rather remarkable.
I'll admit I think it's a good thing, because otherwise the violent crime rate, crime in general, quality of schools, neighborhoods, retail, etc. would have really gone down hill. As it is, inner (old) Independence is doing quite well. There seems to be a lot of folks that are loyal and care about the town. It's neat how a humble, working-class town/suburb can still exist in 2012 and be successful. It's nice to have a place where a legit working person can actually afford to buy a house, have a family, and still be in a decent neighborhood not overrun with violent crime and deserted by retail stores. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for cheap housing, which Independence provides, but usually it becomes infested with trouble-causing blacks, and therefore decent people have to shell out a huge amount to buy an overpriced house to be in a safe and decent neighborhood. That this hasn't happened is what's remarkable. Whatever Independence is doing, I hope they keep it up!
Raytown, on the other hand, has held on pretty well, but 2000-2010 saw a pretty large increase in blacks, unfortunately.
God, let's hope Independence, Raytown, NKC, etc. have to absorb the KCMO school district's students. I think that could result in people fleeing those districts leaving them in nearly as bad of shape as KCMO currently is.
What about all the white child molesters in Indedendence? Keep it white but don't let you kids go play.
Dre

United States

#10 Jan 23, 2013
Blacks aren't smoking Meth that's Why Ind is full of METH!!!!
alx

El Monte, CA

#11 May 17, 2013
Not white enough
hmmm

Blue Springs, MO

#12 May 18, 2013
wow
lol

Blue Springs, MO

#13 May 18, 2013
its still dirty

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Independence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Good place for a no hassle car inspection? 2 hr Anonymous 1
Debate: Marijuana - Kansas City, MO (Aug '10) 5 hr High in KC 90
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr truth told 19,572
Woman in Kansas City plans to defy church, beco... 10 hr Larry 1
DirecTV Referral - $100 Free (Apr '13) 13 hr Bobgoblin 32
Why are crakheads so stupid ? (Dec '11) Dec 24 rrr 5
from Arkansas to Kansas city Dec 23 Just asking 2
Independence Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Independence People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Independence News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Independence

Personal Finance