Montgomery County Chronicle

Posted in the Independence Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Indy Kansas

Aransas Pass, TX

#1 Jul 23, 2010
Anyone from Independence notice how the Montgomery County Chronicle covers Cherryvale, Caney, and even Coffeyville gets their own section, but Independence is left in the "area towns".
Why does COFFEYVILLE get their own section and Independence doesn't?
I know next time renewal time comes around there won't be one. I don't need to know every detail about Cherryvale, Kansas. The paper should be labeled Cherryvale, Kansas Gazette and more.
Will

United States

#2 Jul 23, 2010
While the quality of the Independence Reporter can be criticized, it is usually agreed it is better than the Coffeyville Journal, which is reportedly on its last legs, All of the other towns don't have a local paper to cover their news, so it is only natural that the Chronicle concentrate on those areas. It is the only area newspaper that acknowledges the 21st century by having an online presence. the Reporter is so backward it used to have only one computer with access to the Internet. Its circulation is going down along with its advertising inches, making its future as ragged as the worn out rug in its front office area. The Chronicle’s news coverage and future is blazing in comparison.
What a Shame

United States

#3 Jul 23, 2010
Indy Kansas wrote:
Anyone from Independence notice how the Montgomery County Chronicle covers Cherryvale, Caney, and even Coffeyville gets their own section, but Independence is left in the "area towns".
I know next time renewal time comes around there won't be one. I don't need to know every detail about Cherryvale, Kansas. The paper should be labeled Cherryvale, Kansas Gazette and more.
yea or the Caney Bugle and more. I usually notice a lot more Caney news than any other city...hmmm wonder why that is?
miss cleo

Independence, KS

#4 Jul 23, 2010
Will wrote:
While the quality of the Independence Reporter can be criticized, it is usually agreed it is better than the Coffeyville Journal, which is reportedly on its last legs, All of the other towns don't have a local paper to cover their news, so it is only natural that the Chronicle concentrate on those areas. It is the only area newspaper that acknowledges the 21st century by having an online presence. the Reporter is so backward it used to have only one computer with access to the Internet. Its circulation is going down along with its advertising inches, making its future as ragged as the worn out rug in its front office area. The Chronicle’s news coverage and future is blazing in comparison.
The Chronicle's "future is blazing" in that it's going straight to hell. It's best hope is to out-live the Journal.
I said it

Coffeyville, KS

#5 Jul 23, 2010
If you don't like it don't read it! read Coffeyville or Independence!
miss cleo

Independence, KS

#6 Jul 23, 2010
I said it wrote:
If you don't like it don't read it! read Coffeyville or Independence!
Whether I read it or don't read it won't change its future.
English Rod

Oswestry, UK

#7 Jul 24, 2010
Guys Is there anyway that I can get the Ind. Reporter online?
goodnight gracie

United States

#8 Jul 24, 2010
English Rod wrote:
If you scanned a copy of it, and put it there you could. But be careful of infringment if you do, you might have to get permission first!
e b white

Independence, KS

#9 Jul 24, 2010
English Rod wrote:
Unfortunately not. But you could subscribe.
astronomer

Independence, KS

#10 Jul 24, 2010
What a Shame wrote:
<quoted text>
yea or the Caney Bugle and more. I usually notice a lot more Caney news than any other city...hmmm wonder why that is?
That's where bad-tempered fat boy Rudy, bad-temepered fat girl Kathy, bad-temepered fat boy Andy and bad-tempered fat girl Jenny condescend to live, so obviously Caney must be the center not only of Montgomery County, but also of the universe itself.
bait shop

Independence, KS

#11 Jul 24, 2010
Indy Kansas wrote:
Andy and the family hangers-on like to wallow in a small pond, where they can imagine they're big fish.In a bigger pond, like Independence, they'd end up in a fish fry.
English Rod

Oswestry, UK

#12 Jul 25, 2010
Gracie and EB thanks for your replies. But, I'd like to read a bit more about Ind. Forums and Chat rooms tend to have folks with a point to make or a gripe to air. I'd just like to get a broader view of the Town where I used to live many years ago.
Rod
Lippy

Coffeyville, KS

#13 Jul 25, 2010
astronomer wrote:
<quoted text>
That's where bad-tempered fat boy Rudy, bad-temepered fat girl Kathy, bad-temepered fat boy Andy and bad-tempered fat girl Jenny condescend to live, so obviously Caney must be the center not only of Montgomery County, but also of the universe itself.
This is true about Andy and Rudy! Especially Andy, he is an arrogant a$$! No one in Caney can stand either one of them. That is why you do not see any businesses from Caney advertise in the paper. They are trying to get into the Coffeyville market, because the Journal is so pathetic. Andy can go there and banter with Jim Taylor and pretend like he is somebody!!!
LOL

Aransas Pass, TX

#14 Jul 27, 2010
Andy Taylor struts around town with his camera acting like he is important. He reminds me of "Doug" from King of Queens. LOL!
Will

United States

#15 Jul 27, 2010
I've noticed that it is the habit of many Independence Topix writers to anonymously trash the character of people who often are the ones in the community who get off their ass and actually take the risks to try to do something for the area, such as open up a grocery store, run a restaurant or publish a newspaper. The victims of your nameless, cowardly slurs, whom you happily name and personally trash, are the doers in this county, while you are the sideline carpers who have probably never had the guts or talent to stick your neck out and actually take on a challenge for personal profit and/or public service. Leave your cushy keyboards behind for once, put your money and reputation on the line and actually step into the real business arena and actually try to accomplish something other than being a cyber skunk secretly stinking up your betters.
wally515

Independence, KS

#16 Jul 27, 2010
Will wrote:
I've noticed that it is the habit of many Independence Topix writers to anonymously trash the character of people who often are the ones in the community who get off their ass and actually take the risks to try to do something for the area, such as open up a grocery store, run a restaurant or publish a newspaper. The victims of your nameless, cowardly slurs, whom you happily name and personally trash, are the doers in this county, while you are the sideline carpers who have probably never had the guts or talent to stick your neck out and actually take on a challenge for personal profit and/or public service. Leave your cushy keyboards behind for once, put your money and reputation on the line and actually step into the real business arena and actually try to accomplish something other than being a cyber skunk secretly stinking up your betters.
Well said. I have personally had numerous disagreements with Andy but he has always been fair and honest.(For a reporter, I find that admirable considering our national representatives)I have been interviewed and had a story written about my business by Rudy, it was again, accurate and fair. I find their paper to be informative on numerous levels. They represent the entire area and not just one special interest group. Even if they could be considered liberal, they are still fair and honest in their reporting, regardless of the topic. I see nothing but arm chair quarterbacking from those above. It would be nice to see how they would fair if they were willing to step onto the field and take a hit like you mentioned above.
Just Wondering

Coffeyville, KS

#17 Jul 27, 2010
Will wrote:
Agreed. Nice post by Wally as well.
Sorry for your loss

United States

#18 Jul 27, 2010
English Rod wrote:
Gracie and EB thanks for your replies. But, I'd like to read a bit more about Ind. Forums and Chat rooms tend to have folks with a point to make or a gripe to air. I'd just like to get a broader view of the Town where I used to live many years ago.
Rod
You could subscribe to it, they have mail subscribers.
LOL

Aransas Pass, TX

#19 Jul 28, 2010
Do you still beat your wife, Wally?
reldeenk

United States

#21 Sep 19, 2014
How soon until the Chronicle buys out the Independence Daily Reporter?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Independence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Energy Conservation Consultant Gary Hogsett 12 min Howdy 49
Louis Ysusi Meet & Greet Tuesday 14 min Howdy 16
Whitehead's take on city hall culture 18 min Subscriber 25
Montgomery County Junior Colleges 12 hr Billy Jack 24
Trump: Not my president (Official Resistance Th... (Jan '17) 15 hr WTF 93
Name Two You Would Vote For - City Commission 16 hr Howdy 192
City Budget due to state Aug 15. 20 hr Howdy 8

Independence Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance