First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Wishfulthinking

Wichita, KS

#1 Jul 19, 2012
This is a hypothetical question to everyone: IF, let's say, Dillons were to try to come back to town would you shop there? Even knowing that their prices are somewhat higher? I guess what i'm asking is, do you think that there would be enough of a customer base to A: Lure them back and B: Keep them here?
Bob G

Wichita, KS

#2 Jul 20, 2012
I shop at Dillons three times a month or so. always have many many items that are less then Wal Mart. Als many items that Wal Mart does not carry. I don't think there is enough of a base especially in light of the fact that they pulled out of here so quick before. I just don't know of any towns with our size and limited outside trade area with a Dillons. Just my opinion.
Frasocrass

Overland Park, KS

#3 Jul 20, 2012
If Dillon's offered a relatively upscale selection, such as ground sirloin and seafood other than shrimp and salmon, like tuna steaks, then yes I'd shop there, but I'd try to use Marvin's for basic things to keep the store in town afloat. I need stuff like large tubs of Chobani, granola, and fresh berries, as well. Lack of quality grocery shopping is one reason I'd have a difficult time moving back to Independence, KS. I suppose I could do weekly trips to Tulsa or Kansas City, though.
Opinion

Kirksville, MO

#4 Jul 20, 2012
I would shop at Dillons if it ever returned (even though that probably isn't going to happen). Some of the food on the shelves at Marvin's is outdated, so if you're not careful, you end up with stale food. Wal-Mart is ok but too many times they quit carrying some brand I like or they carry huge sizes of it which takes forever to use. I used to buy some things at Dollar General, but since they've moved far out on East Main, it's a lot closer for me just to go to Wal-Mart.Although I've never bought groceries at Braum's, I've always thought they'd be expensive.(Are they?) If Dillons were to return to town, it might overcome all of the above and give shoppers a place where they could buy all the fresh groceries they wanted in one place, at an affordable price. For this working person and mom, that would be a dream.
Ready for Fall

United States

#5 Jul 20, 2012
I would shop there. It was sad when they moved out. We do monthly trips to Wichita. We load the back of the suv with ice chests and make a run at Dillion's and McConnell Air force Base. Dillion's always has great deals, and we don't have to pay tax at the base. I haven't shopped at Walmart for food for almost a year, and dread the tines that I have to go in there for anything else. Sorry Walmart, you make my blood pressure rise!
todd fienen

Independence, KS

#6 Jul 20, 2012
i may never see the inside of wal mart again if that happened, but it wont
sweetASpie

United States

#7 Jul 20, 2012
Hey, i try to spread my money around at the grocery stores. I went to Marvins recently and purchased a pork roast. Well, not really familiar with how pork roast is suppose to look but...

When i took the plastic off it smelled questionable. And the thing was really slimy.
So then i called on a couple of my pork roast experts (friends). One said NO they had never bought a slimy pork roast.

So, i decided to go talk a meat manager at Marvins.(some really tall guy with black hair)

Long story short, he told me a little slime wouldnt hurt. So, i ask him if he buys what he puts out and his reply was "is this a trick
question?"

Anyway, my other pork roast expert said he would throw it out. Well, the roast had been baking a few hours by the time i got all the above done.
So after it cooled i did throw it out. Didnt want to dig around for the receipt, so just out the money, one more time. Just another grocery store experience for me :)
Agree

Independence, KS

#8 Jul 20, 2012
sweetASpie wrote:
Hey, i try to spread my money around at the grocery stores. I went to Marvins recently and purchased a pork roast. Well, not really familiar with how pork roast is suppose to look but...
When i took the plastic off it smelled questionable. And the thing was really slimy.
So then i called on a couple of my pork roast experts (friends). One said NO they had never bought a slimy pork roast.
So, i decided to go talk a meat manager at Marvins.(some really tall guy with black hair)
Long story short, he told me a little slime wouldnt hurt. So, i ask him if he buys what he puts out and his reply was "is this a trick
question?"
Anyway, my other pork roast expert said he would throw it out. Well, the roast had been baking a few hours by the time i got all the above done.
So after it cooled i did throw it out. Didnt want to dig around for the receipt, so just out the money, one more time. Just another grocery store experience for me :)
The number one reason I quit shopping Marvin's was because of their foul-smelling meat. It's too bad the health department is so understaffed because in the old days, it would have been doing routine inspections and would have caught some of the problems like this and demanded they be resolved. As it is, it's either buyer beware or get food poisoning. My heart goes out to people without cars who are practically forced to shop at Marvin's because it is within walking distance.

Since: Jan 12

Independence, KS

#9 Jul 20, 2012
Opinion wrote:
I would shop at Dillons if it ever returned (even though that probably isn't going to happen). Some of the food on the shelves at Marvin's is outdated, so if you're not careful, you end up with stale food. Wal-Mart is ok but too many times they quit carrying some brand I like or they carry huge sizes of it which takes forever to use. I used to buy some things at Dollar General, but since they've moved far out on East Main, it's a lot closer for me just to go to Wal-Mart.Although I've never bought groceries at Braum's, I've always thought they'd be expensive.(Are they?) If Dillons were to return to town, it might overcome all of the above and give shoppers a place where they could buy all the fresh groceries they wanted in one place, at an affordable price. For this working person and mom, that would be a dream.
I often buy milk, eggs & a few other items at Braums & think they are reasonable & fresh. Their muffins especially carrot/walnut are very good.
NotinKSanymore

Tucson, AZ

#10 Jul 20, 2012
I shop at a Kroger store and can shop at several other grocery stores. I shop for very little at Walmart - when I moved where there was a choice, I didn't choose WalMart.
wallys girl

Neodesha, KS

#11 Jul 20, 2012
I would shop at Dillon's if it came back. I shopped there while living in Wichita, and they always had good selection and good quaility.
Be careful if you shop at Wal-Mart (deli) though! I got a turkey sub sandwich there a couple weeks ago, ate it on the way to my son's ball game, and was sick by the time I got there. It took a week (and a trip to the doctor's office for medicine) to get over the food poisoning!
Hometown girl

Independence, KS

#12 Jul 20, 2012
I loved Dillons! The chinese deli and the bakery. They had the best pumpkin bread. I HATE Wal-Mart!! Marvin's is OK, but there are a lot of things I want that they don't carry. I would love it if Dillons were to come back!!
duhhh

Chanute, KS

#13 Jul 20, 2012
Dillons, of course! Yep the Chinese food was awesome as well as the bakery. Would also love thave Dillon's back in town!
Ready for Fall

United States

#14 Jul 20, 2012
DILLION'S~~~~~WE WANT YOU baaaacckkk!!!!!
george

United States

#15 Jul 20, 2012
yes
Thought

Aransas Pass, TX

#16 Jul 20, 2012
Wishfulthinking wrote:
This is a hypothetical question to everyone: IF, let's say, Dillons were to try to come back to town would you shop there? Even knowing that their prices are somewhat higher? I guess what i'm asking is, do you think that there would be enough of a customer base to A: Lure them back and B: Keep them here?
They were here, Walmart came, people abandoned them for Walmart, they left. We have already shown Dillions the customer base is not here, and there are fewer people living here now also. I would be great to have them back, I just don't think they would consider it.
Hmm

Aransas Pass, TX

#17 Jul 20, 2012
We should all just stop supporting huge corporations like Walmart, and our city might be in better shape.
Kant feel Pietzsche

Wichita, KS

#18 Jul 20, 2012
wallys girl wrote:
I would shop at Dillon's if it came back. I shopped there while living in Wichita, and they always had good selection and good quaility.
Be careful if you shop at Wal-Mart (deli) though! I got a turkey sub sandwich there a couple weeks ago, ate it on the way to my son's ball game, and was sick by the time I got there. It took a week (and a trip to the doctor's office for medicine) to get over the food poisoning!
If it hit you that quick, it wasn't food poisoning. The bacteria have to multiply to a certain point in your gut before you begin to feel symptoms. If it was already contaminated to the point that you had immediate symptoms, you wouldn't have been able to choke it down for the smell and taste.

If it took you a week to get over, it wasn't food poisoning.

I'm always amused by people's tales of "food poisoning", when they really had taken ill from the flu or gastroenteritis, and their symptoms loosely corresponded to eating at Fast Food Corp X. Then, they won't ever go there again because "that place gave me food poisoning".
Frasocrass

Overland Park, KS

#19 Jul 21, 2012
It must suck living in a town without a middle-class grocery store.
Ready for Fall

United States

#20 Jul 21, 2012
Hmm wrote:
We should all just stop supporting huge corporations like Walmart, and our city might be in better shape.
I totally agree!!!! STOP going to Walmart!! Shop your local stores. Corporations are taking over, and it makes me sad!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Independence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
There are some swingers around town...? (Oct '10) 39 min coming town ghost 25
Bullying 8 hr this aint tulsa 24
How long will it be before Someone serves up ob... 17 hr Eight 6
ICC IDR championship picture 22 hr Regifter 5
Tyson plant in Kansas not likely Sat People please 27
Sewer District #2 Settlement Sat Later 3
Systemic Problems at ICC Fri ghost town coming 59

Independence Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance