And now, the rest of the story

Posted in the Independence Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The truth

United States

#1 Mar 24, 2011
Just today (Friday, 3/24/11) at 2:25 p.m., Cessna employees were gathered and told, "on behalf of Terry Clark, General Manager:
"As we move toward production of the next generation Corvalis later this year it will be necessary to re-phase the program which will require a workforce reduction for Cessna Independence.
"Affected team members will receive WARN notices on March 28, and employee information sessions and outplacement opportunities will be offered to those team members.
"In addition, some team members will be required to take furlough weeks. The furlough schedule has not been confirmed at this time. Affected team members will be notified by the Value Stream Leader of the furlough schedule.
"The company is working diligently to place team members in other areas until production can resume in the fourth quarter. Thank you for your dedication, focus and sacrifice as we work our way through these challenging times."

For those not in the know (which includes Cessna shareholders), when we returned from furlough on Jan. 10, we were told that all additional furloughs (there were nine additional weeks scheduled) were canceled. Airplanes were selling again, a new model (AD09-2, basically a 15-inch longer Mustang) was in the works, and happy days were here again.
Some of us questioned the fact that the plant in Mexico had been decertified by the FAA because of a problem with the Corvalis (the composite layers have a separation problem, evidenced during a certification flight with the FAA aboard when a wing spar snapped and ruptured the fuel tanks, spraying fuel throughout the cockpit), but if you listened to Scott Donnelly (Textron CEO) on his conference call in January, the closest he came to admitting that an entire fleet of aircraft are being scrapped was a brief reference to some "warranty issues" at Cessna.
Couple that approximately $30 million writeoff with the fact that the Middle East (one of the areas where Cessna was seeing sales interest) is imploding, China is tightening the screws on its banks, freezing credit availability in that country as they attempt to slow their own overheated economy, the increasing cost of petroleum and, now, as evidenced by Portugal, continuing problems with Euro-zone economies, and you don't have what appears to be "happy-happy joy-joy" times for general aviation. But trust Cessna to put on blinders and charge full speed ahead -- for exactly one month.
Now, true, they continue sending people to Mexico to train the folks at Cessna de Mexico to do the jobs that are rapidly exiting Independence and Wichita. And they continue benefiting from their tax-exempt status in Montgomery County, even as they ship jobs away from here as fast as they humanly can.
But what really galls some of us is the bald-faced lies they continue to tell us, apparently believing we are all as moronic as most of the mid-level management at Cessna is. They even claimed today that they don't know how many people they will be issuing WARN notices to on Monday. They knew that not long after the last round of "hurry and get these in by the end of the week" evaluations which were done several weeks ago.
It would be refreshing if, just once, a corporation like Cessna (Textron) would treat its employees as if they actually knew the difference between shit and shinola. For once, be honest with us. You certainly expect that of us.
The truth

United States

#2 Mar 24, 2011
Oh, did I forget to mention that during a Roundtable earlier this week with General Manager Terry Clark, the question was asked if furloughs or layoffs were being planned and the answer was a flat "No." Now, supposedly, these Roundtables are held to "facilitate open and honest communication" between the Chiefs and the lowly Indians. What a load of bull cookies.
Beanerwannabe

Aransas Pass, TX

#3 Mar 24, 2011
Me wanna go to Mexico an get me one a dem Cessna jobs an get me a free burrito an a taco everyday I show up at da plant to work an #uck up sum chit to send back up to dem plants in Kansas, an I can live like a king on $5000.00 a year down dere in my lil ol cardboard shack wit my pile of chit by da bush out back in da alley. Bye, bye American aviation jobs! Dat you TF?
bolivar shagnasty

Chanute, KS

#4 Mar 24, 2011
well, if you had gone union a long time ago,(as they have been in wichita) they would have moved out (i really doubt it though) and spared you all the grief you are going through now. and if they HAD accepted a union contract, they would still lie, but at least they would have to stick by the contract and you would know the outcome and not wait around wondering. hope you used the money wisely while you got it. so long suckers.
The truth

United States

#5 Mar 24, 2011
Beanerwannabe wrote:
Me wanna go to Mexico an get me one a dem Cessna jobs an get me a free burrito an a taco everyday I show up at da plant to work an #uck up sum chit to send back up to dem plants in Kansas, an I can live like a king on $5000.00 a year down dere in my lil ol cardboard shack wit my pile of chit by da bush out back in da alley. Bye, bye American aviation jobs! Dat you TF?
Tal vez, tal vez no. El mundo nunca sabrá.
duh

United States

#6 Mar 25, 2011
The Truth, you should be able to get a job at the Reporter. That was very well written. Sorry about your jobs.
Bio

United States

#7 Mar 25, 2011
Life is tough. What makes ya all think that Cessna owes you a living? It all boils down to you are an employee. You knew the rules when you took the job. I do not know any employer that gives an employee a life time guaranteed job.

Be men and go get another job. And don't tell me there ar no jobs out there.
riiiiiiight365

Chanute, KS

#8 Mar 25, 2011
we all knew the rules when we got the job??????? we didnt kno that are supposed cessna "family" was goin to hit us below the belt and send our stuff to them mexicans....who clearly cant build anything as we hav seen by the corvalis wings!!!!
The truth

United States

#9 Mar 25, 2011
Bio wrote:
Life is tough. What makes ya all think that Cessna owes you a living? It all boils down to you are an employee. You knew the rules when you took the job. I do not know any employer that gives an employee a life time guaranteed job.
Be men and go get another job. And don't tell me there ar no jobs out there.
Nobody owes me a living except myself, moron. However, when I am expected to be honest, do the best I can for my employer and "ride for the brand" as Louis L'Amour used to put it, I expect a little bit of the same coming back. When Cessna was having trouble finding enough employees (when they were ignoring unit costs and simply hiring anything they could to match an overzealous marketing department's needs forecast), they were oh so touchy-feely about employees. As soon as things started turning south, we all became expendable, too expensive (compared to Mexicans), and almost as bad as those nasty union guys in Wichita. Your attitude is exactl;y the one that started being projected from many areas of the company, and none of us are saying they owe us anything except for a day's wages for a day's work, and perhaps an occasional honest answer to a direct question.
CO-WORKER

United States

#10 Mar 25, 2011
Question for The truth. It looks to me that when the first post you made would have been during company time. It that correct? It would seem to me that if people would do thier jobs it would not cost as much to build the parts that are being sent to Mexico. Instead of bitching about Cessna on company time and probally their computer. If you worked for me and I caught you posting this BS on company time and company computers you would most certanly get a layoff notice.
Uggh

United States

#11 Mar 25, 2011
CO-WORKER wrote:
Question for The truth. It looks to me that when the first post you made would have been during company time. It that correct? It would seem to me that if people would do thier jobs it would not cost as much to build the parts that are being sent to Mexico. Instead of bitching about Cessna on company time and probally their computer. If you worked for me and I caught you posting this BS on company time and company computers you would most certanly get a layoff notice.
I think your math might be a little off...
The truth

United States

#12 Mar 25, 2011
Co-Worker must be one of the mid-level managers I've been talking about, because they can't tell when Cessna time ends and my time begins. I clock out at 16:30, maybe you better run the numbers again. And then again. Your math is fuzzy.
landlord

Hartford, KS

#13 Mar 26, 2011
riiiiiiight365 wrote:
we all knew the rules when we got the job??????? we didnt kno that are supposed cessna "family" was goin to hit us below the belt and send our stuff to them mexicans....who clearly cant build anything as we hav seen by the corvalis wings!!!!
Bet you thought you could spell? Life is not always fair my friend. Put on your big boy or girl pants and get over it. Business has been like this since the beginning of time. Your take is they should have kept going till they are out of business and boarded up.
riiiiiiight365

Chanute, KS

#14 Mar 26, 2011
landlord wrote:
<quoted text>
Bet you thought you could spell? Life is not always fair my friend. Put on your big boy or girl pants and get over it. Business has been like this since the beginning of time. Your take is they should have kept going till they are out of business and boarded up.
bet i thought i culd spell??? my take is they shulda kept goin??? WTF you talkin bout?!?! LOL....if there is anyone that DOES NOT hav a problem with our jobs(american jobs as a whole) goin to mexico...then there is sumthn wrong wit them!!!
Looking

Coffeyville, KS

#15 Mar 27, 2011
Amercians have priced themselves out of business. I hate to say it, but as a culture we're going to have to learn to live with less. In many other countries, middle class would be considered luxury. A company may be forced to move to Mexico (or other countries) or close the door completely. Either way, America loses jobs.
Kat

Coffeyville, KS

#16 Mar 27, 2011
Looking wrote:
Amercians have priced themselves out of business. I hate to say it, but as a culture we're going to have to learn to live with less. In many other countries, middle class would be considered luxury. A company may be forced to move to Mexico (or other countries) or close the door completely. Either way, America loses jobs.
It wasn't America as a whole that priced us out, it is the unions. They destroy union business' and they have had so much influence over all business as a whole, they have priced out the non union business as well. When we get rid of the unions and people start working for wages that are not inflated and expecting some golden parachute retirement package then we might get companies to stay in America to do business and even have new business come to America. As long as the unions are around and they have such a hold on business in this country we will continue to lose business and jobs. Then we continue to raise our national debt so all tax payers can bail out the unions retirement packeages, and we will continue to destroy our country. Unions have to go!!!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#17 Mar 27, 2011
Another problem I believe is that the heads of these companies make way too much money for what they accomplish. I mean look at some of the companies that have been run into the ground by CEO's making millions of dollars. If they would just take a 10% cut in pay, that would save a lot of jobs. But no, they must have their big houses, big cars, expensive vacations and all the perks that go with being at the top.
The truth

United States

#18 Mar 27, 2011
Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't America as a whole that priced us out, it is the unions. They destroy union business' and they have had so much influence over all business as a whole, they have priced out the non union business as well. When we get rid of the unions and people start working for wages that are not inflated and expecting some golden parachute retirement package then we might get companies to stay in America to do business and even have new business come to America. As long as the unions are around and they have such a hold on business in this country we will continue to lose business and jobs. Then we continue to raise our national debt so all tax payers can bail out the unions retirement packeages, and we will continue to destroy our country. Unions have to go!!!
Okay, Kat. I'm no fan of the unions, and they certainly have gotten way too fat.
However, check out http://www.cnbc.com/id/42267407
It's from that bastion of leftist idiology CNBC, and links to a story about how GE made $5.2 billion from its American operations last year, yet paid no taxes, in fact claimed a $2 billion tax benefit. That doesn't sound like a poor, overtaxed corporation that's being raped by its (both) union and non-union domestic workforce to me.
You basically blame working Americans for our national debt problem, but if GE is any indication (and having seen the stats on other Fortune 1,000 companies, I know it is by no means alone), someone who wants to make gross generalizations can also say that corporations are responsible for the national debt.
You can blame pensions, insurance, wage rates ... but the truth is, corporations are always going to use the cheapest labor they can find. If that is a 12-year-old in Bangladesh, then so be it. The rest is a smokescreen, thrown up by those who would like to blame anyone who doesn't follow their particular brand of thinking for every ill this country faces.
The truth, unfortunately, is a lot harder to get at, and so shall remain the undiscovered country.
omg intelligent life

United States

#19 Mar 27, 2011
The truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, Kat. I'm no fan of the unions, and they certainly have gotten way too fat.
However, check out http://www.cnbc.com/id/42267407
It's from that bastion of leftist idiology CNBC, and links to a story about how GE made $5.2 billion from its American operations last year, yet paid no taxes, in fact claimed a $2 billion tax benefit. That doesn't sound like a poor, overtaxed corporation that's being raped by its (both) union and non-union domestic workforce to me.
You basically blame working Americans for our national debt problem, but if GE is any indication (and having seen the stats on other Fortune 1,000 companies, I know it is by no means alone), someone who wants to make gross generalizations can also say that corporations are responsible for the national debt.
You can blame pensions, insurance, wage rates ... but the truth is, corporations are always going to use the cheapest labor they can find. If that is a 12-year-old in Bangladesh, then so be it. The rest is a smokescreen, thrown up by those who would like to blame anyone who doesn't follow their particular brand of thinking for every ill this country faces.
The truth, unfortunately, is a lot harder to get at, and so shall remain the undiscovered country.
Wow there is intelligence on this board, thanks for giving me a little hope. Nice post.
Coffeyville resident

Coffeyville, KS

#20 Mar 28, 2011
It's funny how Cessna said they didn't know how many would get WARN notices, but the Independence paper knew posted on Sunday before the employees that got WARN's were notified.

One thing Cessna was always good for was lying to their employees.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Independence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Ghost Town Coming? 2 min Zach 70
Second Springer outed thread removed 42 min Gwen 2
Dr. Osborn (Mar '15) 3 hr Col Mustard 61
Unusual Words & Definitions A to Z 3 hr Frank Crebase 38
Is Trump a Russian plant? 14 hr Revolution Calling 30
Montgomery employment down again in February 2017 Sat Frank Crebase 7
Obama Bigger Than Jesus Sat Cythia 29

Independence Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance