First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Just Wondering

Parsons, KS

#1 Dec 22, 2010
What does everyone think about Hoite Caston? Is he a good guy?
dirt bike wonder

South El Monte, CA

#2 Dec 22, 2010
I'm not impressed.
indy shopkeep

Parsons, KS

#3 Dec 22, 2010
I also am not impressed. Very opinionated, thinks he knows it all! And, how does he make money walking around downtown with his little planner....
dirty biker

Chanute, KS

#4 Dec 22, 2010
Just Wondering wrote:
What does everyone think about Hoite Caston? Is he a good guy?
Sounds to me like you're trying to stir up trouble.
Agreed

Independence, KS

#5 Dec 22, 2010
indy shopkeep wrote:
I also am not impressed. Very opinionated, thinks he knows it all! And, how does he make money walking around downtown with his little planner....
I had to laugh out loud. That is exactly the picture I painted in my mind when I think of that Name. He looks lost as if maybe he lost a bit of his mind? Big talker over the years with nothing at all to back it up.
Diditfortheinsur ance

Independence, KS

#6 Dec 22, 2010
Agreed wrote:
<quoted text>I had to laugh out loud. That is exactly the picture I painted in my mind when I think of that Name. He looks lost as if maybe he lost a bit of his mind? Big talker over the years with nothing at all to back it up.
He has the Dirt Bike Kid!! and he's more than happy to tell anyone about it.
Will

Independence, KS

#7 Dec 31, 2010
I know Hoite Caston pretty well. While he is not without his faults and is pretty opinionated as well as being a bit of an eccentric, his heart seems to be in the right place.

In addition to seeing him carrying his planner around town (he is probably making his rounds visiting the advertisers -- of which Iím one -- on the Independence weather phone service he operates, which he says got its one millionth call in August) you could also see him alone in the evenings and late at night putting up most of the Christmas lights on the downtown trees this year as part of his volunteer work for Main Street, on whose board of directors he has served for some 15 years.

I also served with him on the USD 446 Bond Issue committee (one of many educational task forces he has volunteered for) that was responsible for planning and promoting all of the new and renovated school buildings we are getting.

When he served on the Memorial Hall renovation committee, Peter Ellenstein says Caston fought city hall and Paul Sasse almost single handedly to put the Memorial Hall on the National Registry of Historic Buildings, so that it would qualify for the Historic Investment Tax credits that netted the city some $780,000. With interest it has grown to almost $1,000,000 in a fund that can be used by the city for anything it wants.

Ken Brown told me Caston took a token payment to produce the video that was primarily responsible for getting the Independence Tennis Association into the Top Ten Finalists of last yearís nationwide Best Tennis Town competition. After voters viewed the competing videos on-line, Independence won third place and $25,000, which is going into building the covered tennis court at the park.

Donna Dittmer said he recently spent considerable time shooting some new scenes and re-editing the Independence quality of life video he made for the city some years ago, and gave it to Main Street to use as an invitation to a conference it is going to host here next year. She said they played it this yearís conference in Hutchinson and it was so well received that she got requests to see it on-line. I checked it out today at
. It has been viewed by some 3,900 people from around the state and here at home so far.

So Hoite Caston might be a jerk some times, but what have you done for your hometown lately?
dirty biker

Chanute, KS

#8 Dec 31, 2010
Will wrote:
I know Hoite Caston pretty well. While he is not without his faults and is pretty opinionated as well as being a bit of an eccentric, his heart seems to be in the right place.
In addition to seeing him carrying his planner around town (he is probably making his rounds visiting the advertisers -- of which Iím one -- on the Independence weather phone service he operates, which he says got its one millionth call in August) you could also see him alone in the evenings and late at night putting up most of the Christmas lights on the downtown trees this year as part of his volunteer work for Main Street, on whose board of directors he has served for some 15 years.
I also served with him on the USD 446 Bond Issue committee (one of many educational task forces he has volunteered for) that was responsible for planning and promoting all of the new and renovated school buildings we are getting.
When he served on the Memorial Hall renovation committee, Peter Ellenstein says Caston fought city hall and Paul Sasse almost single handedly to put the Memorial Hall on the National Registry of Historic Buildings, so that it would qualify for the Historic Investment Tax credits that netted the city some $780,000. With interest it has grown to almost $1,000,000 in a fund that can be used by the city for anything it wants.
Ken Brown told me Caston took a token payment to produce the video that was primarily responsible for getting the Independence Tennis Association into the Top Ten Finalists of last yearís nationwide Best Tennis Town competition. After voters viewed the competing videos on-line, Independence won third place and $25,000, which is going into building the covered tennis court at the park.
Donna Dittmer said he recently spent considerable time shooting some new scenes and re-editing the Independence quality of life video he made for the city some years ago, and gave it to Main Street to use as an invitation to a conference it is going to host here next year. She said they played it this yearís conference in Hutchinson and it was so well received that she got requests to see it on-line. I checked it out today at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ncwyT2F7BJIXX. It has been viewed by some 3,900 people from around the state and here at home so far.
So Hoite Caston might be a jerk some times, but what have you done for your hometown lately?
Hoite, you're shameless! You wrote the above paen.

Since: Sep 08

Wichita, KS

#9 Dec 31, 2010
Hoite is and always will be a brown noser,watch your backside....He want's to be Bill Curtis,but he probably doesn't know Bill Curtis is a stage name not his birth name.LOL
Florida University

United States

#10 Dec 31, 2010
Will wrote:

When he served on the Memorial Hall renovation committee, Peter Ellenstein says Caston fought city hall and Paul Sasse almost single handily to put the Memorial Hall on the National Registry of Historic Buildings, so that it would qualify for the Historic Investment Tax credits that netted the city some $780,000. With interest it has grown to almost $1,000,000 in a fund that can be used by the city for anything it wants.
While you call the bond issue matter "planning, and promoting", I'd call it baiting, and hooking.

The $780,000 tax credit is a drop in the bucket to what its going to cost the city and the tax payers in the future to repair even the smallest thing on memorial hall from now on, thanks to your single handed effort. You can't even replace a brick on that building now without it going through a committee of some kind, and the replacement material better be exactly the same, mounting to enormous building costs. Good Job for getting it on the national historic registry! If you ask me, I'd say you and Mr. Ellenstein need to go back to California, where you fit in! Take the Historic society with you!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#11 Dec 31, 2010
No, his birth name is William Horton Curtis.
gratuitous nonsence

Canyon Lake, TX

#12 Dec 31, 2010
Sounds like some of us are all on board for a slow torturous demise of our fair city. Progression is a naughty word. Perhaps I'll fall off the bandwagon too.
Florida University

United States

#13 Jan 1, 2011
gratuitous nonsence wrote:
Sounds like some of us are all on board for a slow torturous demise of our fair city. Progression is a naughty word. Perhaps I'll fall off the bandwagon too.
Two steps forward causing five steps in reverse, does not make progression.

gratuitous nonsence

United States

#14 Jan 1, 2011
I'll agree to disagree. Happy New Year though. Hope your name is not in celebration of the Chiefs losing their offensive coordinator:(
CURLYYY1

Independence, KS

#15 Jan 1, 2011
Will wrote:
Donna Dittmer said he recently spent considerable time shooting some new scenes and re-editing the Independence quality of life video he made for the city some years ago, and gave it to Main Street to use as an invitation to a conference it is going to host here next year. She said they played it this yearís conference in Hutchinson and it was so well received that she got requests to see it on-line. I checked it out today at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ncwyT2F7BJIXX. It has been viewed by some 3,900 people from around the state and here at home so far.
Well said Will!
jimmy joe

United States

#16 Jan 1, 2011
Florida University wrote:
<quoted text>While you call the bond issue matter "planning, and promoting", I'd call it baiting, and hooking.
The $780,000 tax credit is a drop in the bucket to what its going to cost the city and the tax payers in the future to repair even the smallest thing on memorial hall from now on, thanks to your single handed effort. You can't even replace a brick on that building now without it going through a committee of some kind, and the replacement material better be exactly the same, mounting to enormous building costs. Good Job for getting it on the national historic registry! If you ask me, I'd say you and Mr. Ellenstein need to go back to California, where you fit in! Take the Historic society with you!
You are negative, misinformed, opinionated, and thank God the entire town doesn't share your attitude. If they did we would still have one room schools and brick streets!

And BTW, I don't always agree with Hoite, but he does a good job promoting Indy and has obviously done more than you have for our town.
Florida University

United States

#17 Jan 2, 2011
obviously!!!!
Strait Talk

Parsons, KS

#18 Jan 3, 2011
Will wrote:
Well, where do I start...

Hoite Caston's Weather Phone is a joke. Yes, he carries his planner around "selling" ads for his Weather Phone, but also stirring up and prodding for information. He is the type that needs to know what is going on at all times. That's just a drop in the bucket for what he recently did with the Chamber of Commerce. From what I heard from local business, he has been playing" auditor" there trying to find "misappropriation" of funds on the bed tax.

Did anyone watch the other video's the other towns did? Our looked like it was from the 1980's compared to theirs. Ken Brown doesn't say a bad thing about anyone.....

And as far as the Main Street video, all Hoite did was add to the end of the Quality of Life video he made several years back. Oh, did I mention that Hoite made a LOT of money from that original video. So, for him to go back and add a little to what he already shot previously would take no time at all.

If your on the Hoite bandwagon fine, enjoy the ride. But for those that think he is God's gift to Independence, please know that he does more harm than good. I like the idea of him and peter moving to Cali together.
My name is Horace

Elk City, KS

#19 Jan 3, 2011
Anyone involved in the dirtbike kid is fine in my book...
dirt bike wonder

United States

#20 Jan 3, 2011
whistlebritches wrote:
No, his birth name is William Horton Curtis.
KURTIS...... good grief

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Independence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Does Ghost Town Coming Live In Pittsburg Kansas 58 min Carpetbagger 13
ICC full time enrollment down by 39.2% 2 hr this aint tulsa 47
Tree Watering Downtown 5 hr Itsthesame 7
Dr.Osborn's help unfriendly now 15 hr Sad 17
Hospital losing ceo? 19 hr Indy fan 15
Indy Fed Ex 23 hr fedex-no 5
Independence in 2025 Sat Huh 7
More from around the web

Independence People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE