Are our schools failing
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
curiousity

Kansas City, KS

#1 Sep 26, 2012
Does a nice building make education better? Are our children getting enough to eat? Do sports really enhance an education? Are our schools safe ( in response to the recent shooting in Stillwater,Ok)
Agree

Kirksville, MO

#2 Sep 26, 2012
I work with high school students in a non-school setting and am shocked and concerned by the lack of some skills that will be crucial to them as they enter the work force. My sense is our school systems have lowered standards tremendously. This may help students get through school, but may be a huge problem for them in the future. OUR SCHOOLS NEED TO RAISE THEIR STANDARDS BACK WHERE THEY ONCE WERE.

Children have access to both breakfast and lunch at school, but often choose to throw out more than they eat. This is unfortunate for them and costly to taxpayers. Although my parents always struggled trying to keep our household going, my mother always had some sort of breakfast and lunch for us. Meals provided a time for us to be together as a family and, as I realized when I grew older, sent a message to me and my siblings that my parents truly cared about us.

I think the best thing for everyone would be for parents (including those on food stamps) to be responsible for their own children's meals, since they know what their children will eat (so no food will be wasted) and it would show their children they cared.
wally515

Parsons, KS

#3 Sep 26, 2012
schools should not be FEEDING our children. they should focus on TEACHING them ONLY. whats next, clothing them? giving them baths and whiping their butts? TEACH.
wally515

Parsons, KS

#4 Sep 26, 2012
wiping
Agree

Kirksville, MO

#5 Sep 26, 2012
wally515 wrote:
schools should not be FEEDING our children. they should focus on TEACHING them ONLY. whats next, clothing them? giving them baths and whiping their butts? TEACH.
I agree with you 100%. The problem with many of today's children is their parents expect US to take care of their children. One thing that DECREASES the amount of time teachers have to teach, is teachers and other school staff have become responsible for things the PARENTS should be responsible for. If a parent is so lazy he/she won't get out of bed and fix breakfast for his/her first grader, why isn't SRS trying to find a better home for that child? There are many great people, who would welcome such a child in their homes, provide for him, and make good parents for him.
Cahill

United States

#6 Sep 26, 2012
Agree wrote:
I work with high school students in a non-school setting and am shocked and concerned by the lack of some skills that will be crucial to them as they enter the work force. My sense is our school systems have lowered standards tremendously. This may help students get through school, but may be a huge problem for them in the future. OUR SCHOOLS NEED TO RAISE THEIR STANDARDS BACK WHERE THEY ONCE WERE.
Children have access to both breakfast and lunch at school, but often choose to throw out more than they eat. This is unfortunate for them and costly to taxpayers. Although my parents always struggled trying to keep our household going, my mother always had some sort of breakfast and lunch for us. Meals provided a time for us to be together as a family and, as I realized when I grew older, sent a message to me and my siblings that my parents truly cared about us.
I think the best thing for everyone would be for parents (including those on food stamps) to be responsible for their own children's meals, since they know what their children will eat (so no food will be wasted) and it would show their children they cared.

Lets all give (agree) a heck yes! No words spoken more true! Parents this day and age care less about their kids then any I have ever seen! My parents never relied on the schools to feed us! We always were fed at appropriate times! We also were tought manners and had some morals! None of that nowadays!!!
curiousity

Lenexa, KS

#7 Sep 26, 2012
wally515 wrote:
They may not have to feed them but I assure you they need to feed them. Do you know that probably half of the kids would not be able to obtain food on the weekends? Sacks are prepared and given to the ones that need help but there is no guarantee they get to eat it! The government has put limits on how much our kids can eat at school. They offer food that many will not eat. Now in my day the lunches were sufficient and wholesome but not today. If you had lunch at school I bet you would be taking your own lunch by the end of the week. Actually Wally 515, some teachers do clothe some kids. If they don't have shoes or coats many teachers chip in to get the kids what they need. I agree we should not have to but what do you do about it? In my opinion, this is what drugs have done to society.
wally515

Parsons, KS

#8 Sep 26, 2012
curiousity wrote:
<quoted text>They may not have to feed them but I assure you they need to feed them. Do you know that probably half of the kids would not be able to obtain food on the weekends? Sacks are prepared and given to the ones that need help but there is no guarantee they get to eat it! The government has put limits on how much our kids can eat at school. They offer food that many will not eat. Now in my day the lunches were sufficient and wholesome but not today. If you had lunch at school I bet you would be taking your own lunch by the end of the week. Actually Wally 515, some teachers do clothe some kids. If they don't have shoes or coats many teachers chip in to get the kids what they need. I agree we should not have to but what do you do about it? In my opinion, this is what drugs have done to society.
I do not argue or belittle the NEED. I do argue and debate the WHO behind the giving. When we rely on our GOVERNMENT to feed and cloth us we are SLAVES. That is my point.
totally agree

Cherryvale, KS

#9 Sep 26, 2012
The breakdown in families and homes is the direct cause of what is happening in society and in our schools. Girls having babies, not just one, but 2, 3, 4 with various guys they're not married to and they have no support. What are those children going to grow up and believe? They have no moral support whatsoever. I am so glad that I was born to 2 parents who stayed married, who took care of me and made sure all my needs were met and taught me the basic principles of life. I never felt like there was no one to love me or care for me. Until we turn this behavior around, we have no hope. And yes, I'm sure drugs have a lot to do with it. Kids that are hopeless, turn to drugs.
curiousity

Lenexa, KS

#10 Sep 26, 2012
wally515 wrote:
<quoted text>I do not argue or belittle the NEED. I do argue and debate the WHO behind the giving. When we rely on our GOVERNMENT to feed and cloth us we are SLAVES. That is my point.
Yes, I agree!!
Well

Aransas Pass, TX

#11 Sep 26, 2012
I'd say we're failing, and have been for quite some time. It's a local, and national problem. The US is ranked number 33 in reading, 27 in math, and 22 in science, according to a study by the OECD. All three of the numbers put us below average compared to other countries. Part of the reason has to allocation of monies, and how that it determined. Another part is teaching methods, as we know not all students learn the same. Most of the higher ranked countries integrate job-related education into specific jobs/careers so those skills never go away. We haven't quite figured out the best approach yet, over here.
curiosity

Lenexa, KS

#12 Sep 27, 2012
The teaching methods are poor. They only teach to the middle of the road. Advanced students just have to slide by with no incentive to do better. Slower learning students get left behind.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#13 Sep 27, 2012
Well wrote:
I'd say we're failing, and have been for quite some time. It's a local, and national problem. The US is ranked number 33 in reading, 27 in math, and 22 in science, according to a study by the OECD. All three of the numbers put us below average compared to other countries. Part of the reason has to allocation of monies, and how that it determined. Another part is teaching methods, as we know not all students learn the same. Most of the higher ranked countries integrate job-related education into specific jobs/careers so those skills never go away. We haven't quite figured out the best approach yet, over here.
I think your integration of the JOB-RELATED SKILLS is on target. Does no good to read and write if you have no clue on how to use it productively for your job.
curiosity

Lenexa, KS

#14 Sep 27, 2012
After about the 6th grade the material is redundant. We should be teaching specific skills. Other countries are doing this. At least we would have people who could work and not be on welfare rolls. The cycle of hand outs need to be broken.
truth

United States

#15 Sep 27, 2012
People have to WANT to work and have to WANT to be educated. Parents and teachers, alike, are failing our children. And unfortunately this happens on a daily basis. We have schools full of teachers who don't like to teach and classrooms full of kids who don't care to learn. It's all very sad.
Seriously

Kansas City, MO

#16 Oct 17, 2012
Yes our schools are failing...teachers are not allowed to teach. The administrators are trying to re-invent the wheel. The schools are being held ransom by politics, everyone is fighting for the almighty tax dollar. Funds are being pulled from education unless schools meet requirments set out by the government. Requirements like paper work and busy work. Also having extremely disabled children who are NOT able to learn in a regular classroom with children who can. Some of these children squeal and self stimulate through the entire class period making it impossible for teachers to teach, and the children who can learn are so distracted they are not learning. Some of these special needs children are running around the room, out of the room causing so much distraction it is CRAZY...having them in the classroom is doing a diservice to all involved including the special needs child, they need to be in classes designed to help them learn or develop to the best of THEIR ability and a regular classroom is not going to make it happen for them.
Unfortunately, the only way things will change is if a parent of a child without special needs sues the system for the right for their children to learn without the distraction.
Another View

United States

#17 Oct 17, 2012
Years ago, I was told the following: The further away from the student sitting in a classroom that the decisions are made concerning education, the poorer the decisions are. We really need to return to more local control. Each community can and must decide how rigorous the curriculum should be. Each community is different and trying to force one size fits all in dealing with young minds is patentedly stupid. Yes, we need to make sure all kids learn...but they do NOT need to learn the same thing. Education is trying to work to the middle and missing out on challenging the best and brightest and failing to pull the less talented student along. At the local school, a student who has failed a course can take a computer, dumbed down version of the course and pass in less than a week. Is this good for the student, the academic process, the school, or for the motivation of other students. It is a farce and a fraud. However, it does help meet the federal measurement of graduation rates.
Return the schools to those who know the community, the teachers, and the students the best.
curiosity

Olathe, KS

#18 Oct 17, 2012
Another View wrote:
Years ago, I was told the following: The further away from the student sitting in a classroom that the decisions are made concerning education, the poorer the decisions are. We really need to return to more local control. Each community can and must decide how rigorous the curriculum should be. Each community is different and trying to force one size fits all in dealing with young minds is patentedly stupid. Yes, we need to make sure all kids learn...but they do NOT need to learn the same thing. Education is trying to work to the middle and missing out on challenging the best and brightest and failing to pull the less talented student along. At the local school, a student who has failed a course can take a computer, dumbed down version of the course and pass in less than a week. Is this good for the student, the academic process, the school, or for the motivation of other students. It is a farce and a fraud. However, it does help meet the federal measurement of graduation rates.
Return the schools to those who know the community, the teachers, and the students the best.
I like your comment about children,all need to learn but not the same thing. We need to be teaching them how to live in this world. Insightful thinking will change things.
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#19 Oct 17, 2012
Alot of the problem with the students that have disabilities being in the same classroom with the students that have none is this out of control pc crap that has come into every aspect of our lives and is destroying our country.
When I ask the school why they were doing it this way I was told it was because they were trying to keep the disabled children from being picked on and from being treated differently because they were disabled.
The fact is they are different and need to be treated according to their disability. They cannot have that in a regular classroom with kids that have no disabilities. It just doesn't work and they never get the one on one they need to learn and the children that can learn easier and are even able to learn at a faster pace are held back so that everyone can keep up and work at the same pace. But the pc society wants everyone treated equal and the same. The fact is you can't treat them all the same because they are not and you are not being fair to them when you try to force them to be treated the same. All they are doing is cheating ALL children from a good education, the disabled and the children that are not disabled, all of them are being forced by the pc society to be what they are not as long as it is equal across the board that is all they seem to care about.
When I was in school the children with disabilities went to a different seperate classroom where they got one on one help and the class was set up especially for them and for the way they needed in order to learn. Then the pc society took over....and we as a country in our education system have gone down hill ever since and children have lost out on a quality education. But on the flip side.....they have all been EQUALLY cheated out of a good education.
Society needs to decide if we want our education system to be effective or if we just want it to be fair and equal.
As usual, the government came in to "help"....and we know how that always ends up.
curiosity

Olathe, KS

#20 Oct 17, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
Alot of the problem with the students that have disabilities being in the same classroom with the students that have none is this out of control pc crap that has come into every aspect of our lives and is destroying our country.
When I ask the school why they were doing it this way I was told it was because they were trying to keep the disabled children from being picked on and from being treated differently because they were disabled.
The fact is they are different and need to be treated according to their disability. They cannot have that in a regular classroom with kids that have no disabilities. It just doesn't work and they never get the one on one they need to learn and the children that can learn easier and are even able to learn at a faster pace are held back so that everyone can keep up and work at the same pace. But the pc society wants everyone treated equal and the same. The fact is you can't treat them all the same because they are not and you are not being fair to them when you try to force them to be treated the same. All they are doing is cheating ALL children from a good education, the disabled and the children that are not disabled, all of them are being forced by the pc society to be what they are not as long as it is equal across the board that is all they seem to care about.
When I was in school the children with disabilities went to a different seperate classroom where they got one on one help and the class was set up especially for them and for the way they needed in order to learn. Then the pc society took over....and we as a country in our education system have gone down hill ever since and children have lost out on a quality education. But on the flip side.....they have all been EQUALLY cheated out of a good education.
Society needs to decide if we want our education system to be effective or if we just want it to be fair and equal.
As usual, the government came in to "help"....and we know how that always ends up.
Honestly I love it when someone speaks the truth and not out of both sides of their mouth! I take it that you are not a polititian. You are not on welfare. You have experienced the rediculous policies of 446.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Independence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SEK Pride fest to be held in Independence Sept... 43 min Revolution Calling 54
Louis Ysusi Meet & Greet Tuesday 2 hr Frank Crebase 8
I want to get to know Shawn or Sean @ 301 anyon... (Jan '12) 7 hr Evil within 7
new china buffet 9 hr ghost town coming 3
Is Trump a Russian plant? (Dec '16) 15 hr tired GOP 45
Cherryvale/Thayer School District 447 plans new... 20 hr ghost town coming 5
Continued big spending dominates local 2018 bud... Thu Carl 41

Independence Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance