Remember When in Independence, KS
dave

Peck, KS

#360 Nov 12, 2009
just a friend wrote:
<quoted text>Now beldorf that was a while back.wasn't there a bowling alley on the west side of the independence museum.
i worked set pins that bowling alley and the independence musum was at one time the post office
dave

Peck, KS

#361 Nov 12, 2009
just a friend wrote:
<quoted text>There was also a place on south 10th called the Out Our Way club i believe.
the out our club set out buy the pump station on south 10th
dave

Peck, KS

#362 Nov 12, 2009
next wrote:
<quoted text>I believe that was a car dealership,not real sure though
was crecent oil company
dave

Peck, KS

#363 Nov 12, 2009
Hugh Jass wrote:
Remember when people had money in Independence?
Me neither
nope
dave

Peck, KS

#364 Nov 12, 2009
ashcraft tire i think it was a dairy at one i think my dad drop milk cans off there
flyinhi 72

Kansas City, MO

#365 Nov 13, 2009
Does anyone remember the skating rink out on south 10th street. Does anyone remember riding their bicycle to Junior High. Does anyone remember Mr. Wolf- English- Mr. Abott- History Mr. Gentry - Civics Mrs Hatfield -Math or Ms Forbes- Kanas History-Mr Slater or Mr Collins - Science
next

Pass Christian, MS

#366 Nov 13, 2009
flyinhi 72 wrote:
Does anyone remember the skating rink out on south 10th street. Does anyone remember riding their bicycle to Junior High. Does anyone remember Mr. Wolf- English- Mr. Abott- History Mr. Gentry - Civics Mrs Hatfield -Math or Ms Forbes- Kanas History-Mr Slater or Mr Collins - Science
I have the records they used to play at the skating rink on 10th street.
ljt

Ochelata, OK

#367 Nov 13, 2009
i remember them all good days

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#368 Nov 13, 2009
I believe that he meant the "Out Our Way' club! And yes, Ashcraft's used to be the Glencliff Dairy. My Dad used to take me in there for double dip chocolate ice cream cones for .10! Now you know I'm older than dirt!!!
Class of 73

United States

#369 Nov 13, 2009
flyinhi 72 wrote:
Mr Wolf, he always spit when he talked! Could give you a shower if he got too close!
Mr Abbot? Wasn't he the young teacher? I think I'm remembering him but never had him.
Mr Gentry, big black horn rimmed glasses, goofy/nerdy, got sent to the principals office once while I was in his class. It was fun to mess with him and watch his reaction!
Mrs. Hatfield, little old lady, school teacher personafied.
Miss Forbes, now that was a mean one! Would swat the girls legs with a ruler if they didn't sit with their knees together!
Mr Slater, booger picker. Need I say more?
Mr Collins, with the holes in the paddle. Everyone wanted a swat by him so you could sign it. Yup, I remember....
Class of 73

United States

#370 Nov 13, 2009
flyinhi 72 wrote:
By the way, Mr. Slater was science along with Mr. Shafer who would drop pencils and look up the girls dresses and Mr. Collins taught Math.

“i want to win the lottery”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#371 Nov 13, 2009
i never had mr slater but i remember the other kids called him "itchy balls slater" and said that he rubbed his nuts on their desks and kept a jar of vaseline in his desk. yuk dude.
English Rod

UK

#372 Nov 15, 2009
Old huh? Well I'm 63. Folk have mentioned Billy Boomis, well one of my class mates was a Jimmy Boomis, lived somewhere up along West Main if I remember correctly. One day I will have to revisit Independence, I left there in 1957, but it has such a fascination and hold on me.
Guys I love reading your stories and memories. Anyone else here from Lincoln Grade school? Mrs Leonards class 56/57?
Indy_Girl

United States

#373 Nov 15, 2009
Class of 73 wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr Wolf, he always spit when he talked! Could give you a shower if he got too close!
Mr Abbot? Wasn't he the young teacher? I think I'm remembering him but never had him.
Mr Gentry, big black horn rimmed glasses, goofy/nerdy, got sent to the principals office once while I was in his class. It was fun to mess with him and watch his reaction!
Mrs. Hatfield, little old lady, school teacher personafied.
Miss Forbes, now that was a mean one! Would swat the girls legs with a ruler if they didn't sit with their knees together!
Mr Slater, booger picker. Need I say more?
Mr Collins, with the holes in the paddle. Everyone wanted a swat by him so you could sign it. Yup, I remember....
From Lincoln school-Mrs Etter, Miss Wilson, Miss Wishard, Miss Wadman, Miss Fansler, Mr Hill, Miss Cook(who became Mrs Henrichs), Principal Mr Bishop, Mrs Rush, from Jr High, VP Payne, Mr Kennett, Mrs Borders, Mrs Hoover, Miss Nail, Mrs Smith, Mrs Thompson, Mr Henrichs, Mr Boisdrenhein(sp?)(he also taught drivers ed and I remember he had to use his wife's car b/c the school's was out of commission and a kid wrecked it), just to name a few.
rake

United States

#374 Nov 16, 2009
remember Johnies hamburgers and Darby's cafe?
Almighty Homeboy

Rocky Hill, CT

#375 Nov 16, 2009
old dawg wrote:
i never had mr slater but i remember the other kids called him "itchy balls slater" and said that he rubbed his nuts on their desks and kept a jar of vaseline in his desk. yuk dude.
Very close, but you just missed the mark. It was Itchy Nuts. We would call him "I N" to his face and he never knew why.

“i want to win the lottery”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#376 Nov 16, 2009
Almighty Homeboy wrote:
<quoted text> Very close, but you just missed the mark. It was Itchy Nuts. We would call him "I N" to his face and he never knew why.
im glad someone else remembers that, i was starting to think i was Nuts!
Dog

Independence, KS

#377 Nov 17, 2009
Don't forget "Iggy" at Jr. High.
Joshua

Chanute, KS

#378 Nov 17, 2009
just a friend wrote:
What about darbys cafe where the parking lot is now west of the booth hotel,they had individual juke boxes at each booth you put money in to listen to music.I believe it was wigs restaurant where the science center is now.Remember when the dairy queen was in a small building next to the old laundry mat on north penn.Any body remember Shortys gas station on west main right west of taco tico.Or what about Helms cabins where C&M Motors is now.
The Dairy Queen is in a small building now.
next

Pass Christian, MS

#379 Nov 17, 2009
Joshua wrote:
<quoted text>
The Dairy Queen is in a small building now.
But it was in a very small building almost connected to the building on the corner which was a laundry mat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Independence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
5/26/2016 City Commission Video 3 min thanks 5
star lube 9 hr bobthebuilder 14
IHS Principal 11 hr Frank Crebase 44
Love my town Fri yes 22
The Independence Ghost Town is Getting Closer Fri Good golly 49
dr bill daugherty, pedophile, bartlesville (May '14) Fri USS LIBERTY 14
who is a good lawyer for civil matter in Indy area Fri Kenny 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Independence Mortgages