William Motter Inge

May 2, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Free Dictionary

In the early 1950s, he had a string of memorable Broadway productions, and one of these, Picnic , earned him a Pulitzer Prize .

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Andy Warhol

Coffeyville, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Sorry, but Inge's (and Independence's) 15 minutes of fame were up decades ago.

Since: Oct 10

Independence, Kansas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Andy Warhol wrote:
Sorry, but Inge's (and Independence's) 15 minutes of fame were up decades ago.
I'm going to bet that you never read anything that Inge wrote, let alone the messages he was trying to convey in his works.

His writings go a long way towards defining life in a rural small town setting and how people in those small towns interact with other people.

This insight is unique in that most modern writing is of an urban nature and is illustrative of how remote man has become to his fellow man in day-to-day interactions.

As for Independence, I'd take living here anyday over a large city. Independence may have some problems, some even serious, but at least they are for the most part handled locally by people whose heart mostly is in the right place. Sure Independence has problems, but dammit they're our problems and we will take care of them.

The days of the 1920's Oil Boom and the Depression as well as the 40's and 50's may well be over with but Inge's writings will not be forgotten by those interested in the period. In those days people in small towns knew their neighbors and actually socialized with them in a neighborhood setting. Today; sadly, even in Independence; people don't even know their neighbors because they are stuck inside, in front of an electronic entertainment center that tells you all about how it is in Hollywood and the Jersey Shore. We know more about the contestant America Has Talent than we do about the person living right next to us. We are connected with Facebook to people we hardly know or care about and have a unsatiable desire to be "friended" by them; but won't even wave at the neighbor in the morning when we leave the house to go to work.

Go figure...
Andy Warhol

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Indy_Dick wrote:
<quoted text>I'm going to bet that you never read anything that Inge wrote, let alone the messages he was trying to convey in his works.
His writings go a long way towards defining life in a rural small town setting and how people in those small towns interact with other people.
This insight is unique in that most modern writing is of an urban nature and is illustrative of how remote man has become to his fellow man in day-to-day interactions.
As for Independence, I'd take living here anyday over a large city. Independence may have some problems, some even serious, but at least they are for the most part handled locally by people whose heart mostly is in the right place. Sure Independence has problems, but dammit they're our problems and we will take care of them.
The days of the 1920's Oil Boom and the Depression as well as the 40's and 50's may well be over with but Inge's writings will not be forgotten by those interested in the period. In those days people in small towns knew their neighbors and actually socialized with them in a neighborhood setting. Today; sadly, even in Independence; people don't even know their neighbors because they are stuck inside, in front of an electronic entertainment center that tells you all about how it is in Hollywood and the Jersey Shore. We know more about the contestant America Has Talent than we do about the person living right next to us. We are connected with Facebook to people we hardly know or care about and have a unsatiable desire to be "friended" by them; but won't even wave at the neighbor in the morning when we leave the house to go to work.
Go figure...
You took the bait.

Independence, Kansas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

What I said still stands...

....and aren't you sooooo cool for pulling that fast one on me. Dummy me....
boy do I feel stupid.....

...does that make you feel better now?
IHS

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Indy_Dick wrote:
<quoted text>I'm going to bet that you never read anything that Inge wrote, let alone the messages he was trying to convey in his works.
Go figure...
Mr. Torbett, I thought you were put out to pasture long ago, but obviously you're still turning out lectures.
Ingester

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Mr. Torbett does not frequent this site. Being out to pasture, he is busy seeing images of Snoopy in the clouds. A fine man though and a favorite teacher of mine and my daughter.

Independence, Kansas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

IHS wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Torbett, I thought you were put out to pasture long ago, but obviously you're still turning out lectures.
Sorry, I'm not Torbett...I never taught in school for a living, but I did pay attention in class while at ICC and later on at a 4 year college. I barely graduated from IHS and it was way before Torbett started teaching there.

I learned most of what I know half way around the world in little place called Vietnam. You've probably heard of it...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

51 Users are viewing the Independence Forum right now

Search the Independence Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
need ideas to help a recovering homosexual 6 hr What is wrong with you 29
city to pursue no parking in your yard like c'v... 8 hr the confessor 1
Is he a good attorney (Feb '09) 9 hr DOG 16
do gays agree with this? 9 hr the confessor 4
Leonhard Caflisch's Listening Tour 10 hr funny 11
bunkerville 10 hr the confessor 58
t aco bell 10 hr Bath Salts 11
•••
•••