First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Missing Home

Lexington, NC

#1 Jun 16, 2009
Does anyone know anything about the company? They just bought the plant I work for in North Carolina and I was wondering how they treat there employees, any info will be great, Thanks
curious in Indy

Roswell, NM

#2 Jun 17, 2009
I was told the location here in Indy is struggling and has been doing some furloughs. I'll see what I can dig up for you. I know some that work here in the Indy location.
just driving by

Biloxi, MS

#3 Jun 17, 2009
Only about 15 cars in parking lot today. I know when they first arrived they used alot of temps. Would then lay them off and hire more temps.

The reasons this company and others come to this area is CHEAP LABOR. It's not that the work quality is cheap, but our mentality in this area is $7.00 a hour is a good job. We should show more pride in our craftmenship and demand higher wages, better benefits, a pension plan. I said a pension plan, not a company sponsored 401k plan.
Missing Home

Lexington, NC

#4 Jun 17, 2009
Thanks for your response. I was afraid of that. The company I work for now does about the same thing with the temps. The pay in our town (Welcome) NC does have better pay. I hear they are from Canada and was hoping for a better company that thought more of there employee's. I wish employers could understand that the happier there employees are the better the work will be.
jgg1

Independence, KS

#5 Jun 17, 2009
Missing Home wrote:
Thanks for your response. I was afraid of that. The company I work for now does about the same thing with the temps. The pay in our town (Welcome) NC does have better pay. I hear they are from Canada and was hoping for a better company that thought more of there employee's. I wish employers could understand that the happier there employees are the better the work will be.
Good luck, I'm looking out my window right now and there are probably 30-35 vehicles including motorcycles. They are like everyone else in industry right now, slow. I believe their payscale is a little higher then $7.00 an hour, but they do use a lot of temps. What do you guys fab up at your plant, or should I say for who?
Missing Home

Lexington, NC

#6 Jun 17, 2009
We do work for Deere, Cat, Griffin, Kubota. We make and powder coat fuel and hydro tanks and generator covers,and a few other parts
curious in Indy

Roswell, NM

#7 Jun 17, 2009
From what I have heard business isn't going that great for Matcor. It's really slow.
retired

Fort Worth, TX

#8 Jun 17, 2009
Missing Home wrote:
Stock holders don't care if employees are happy or not as long as the stock makes a profit. I do think they pay better than 7 dollars and the people I know that worked there work alot of overtime. Like 60 to 70 hours a week.
Missing Home

Lexington, NC

#9 Jun 19, 2009
Thanks for all your information. It helps to know what to expect. We are all really scared. Does anyone know anything about there insurance, or any other benifits?
Driving by

Biloxi, MS

#10 Jun 20, 2009
I didn't mean that Matcor only paid $7 a hour. But the reason they came here was cheap labor. I have a friend that works there and has for a while and he makes $12 hour. Which isn't bad at all 4 this area, see "not bad 4 this area" I think it's horrible that WE(myself included) have this mentality. There health ins. is very high, I'll ask my friend for exact amount, and get back to you.
Missing Home

Lexington, NC

#11 Jun 20, 2009
That does make me feel a little better. It would be nice if they went by Canada's work laws, but i'm sure they don't
Inside not driving by

Muskogee, OK

#12 Jul 13, 2009
Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Matcor does treat their employees well in my opinion. Employment was near 150 last summer with 3 shifts in Indy. Most were employees (not temps) who got lots of OT. The industry is down right now. Just remember, the reason "struggling" Matcor could buy Morton is Morton was too leveraged to pay their bills. The employees that are on furloughs for summer shut down are getting their health care paid for during the shutdown (and it is paid in full by the company when people are working - no premiums but some (small in my opinion co-pays). And its BC/BS, not some unknown company.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#13 Jul 13, 2009
Let me tell you, that this area totally sucks for good jobs. If you want to make any money, you've got to leave Montgomery county. My daughter, who has a degree from K-State and is very intelligent, worked for Cobalt, where they started her at a big $7.00/hr. She was there 14 1/2 yrs., had worked her way up to above $15/hr., and was salaried, and guess what, they laid her off last year, and kept someone who had only been there about a year, but was making lots less money. They told her she was welcome to reapply if they started hiring again, but she would have to start over. Isn't that a crock?
Reader

United States

#14 Jul 13, 2009
Cobalt layed off a LOT of people who should have stayed longer than some that are still there that spend their time sneaking cell phone calls and cigarette breaks!!!!! I don't know your daughter, but she is not alone!
matcor wife

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Jul 23, 2009
Driving by wrote:
I didn't mean that Matcor only paid $7 a hour. But the reason they came here was cheap labor. I have a friend that works there and has for a while and he makes $12 hour. Which isn't bad at all 4 this area, see "not bad 4 this area" I think it's horrible that WE(myself included) have this mentality. There health ins. is very high, I'll ask my friend for exact amount, and get back to you.
Does your friend have any education? or is he or she a high school drop out?$12/hour is pretty good for someone with no college education! My husband works there and they have treated him and our family very well. The health ins. is paid for by the company and is bc/bs, it is better ins. than the insurance my place of employment offers that you have to pay $160 per month for.
Missing Home

Lexington, NC

#16 Jul 23, 2009
matcor wife wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your friend have any education? or is he or she a high school drop out?$12/hour is pretty good for someone with no college education! My husband works there and they have treated him and our family very well. The health ins. is paid for by the company and is bc/bs, it is better ins. than the insurance my place of employment offers that you have to pay $160 per month for.
Well they have taken over our company and so far it's been real nice. They haven't changed any of our benifits, although I hope they offer us bc bs at there expense aswell. They seem like really nice people to work for.
need work

Chicago, IL

#17 Jul 23, 2009
I don't think matcor ever reached the number of employees it told the city it was going to employee. But I could be wrong.
home town

United States

#18 Aug 8, 2009
need work wrote:
I don't think matcor ever reached the number of employees it told the city it was going to employee. But I could be wrong.
I have been around Independence all my life and Matcor came to Independece at a time when people needed jobs and we are lucky to have them, how ever during this time like many place they have had to lay off. many employes will return to work in the next couple of weeks and the pay is not bad for the area and they try tolet you know what is going on with in the company.
Matcor Faithful

Parsons, KS

#19 Aug 8, 2009
I like my job at Matcor,make descent money,and go back to work on Monday.Woohoo
jjsh

United States

#20 Aug 9, 2009
home town wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been around Independence all my life and Matcor came to Independece at a time when people needed jobs and we are lucky to have them, how ever during this time like many place they have had to lay off. many employes will return to work in the next couple of weeks and the pay is not bad for the area and they try tolet you know what is going on with in the company.
People they laid off months ago are getting their jobs back at matcor?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Independence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Medical Care in Montgomery County 25 min Mad As Hell 18
Ghost Town Coming is Right on Target 2 hr ghost town coming 12
Clarity for City Commission Actions 2 hr Frowning 8
Tia myers 4 hr Jojo 7
Economics & society in Independence 7 hr curious 19
Looking for misty roberts (May '13) 7 hr Ashlynn 31
Manhunt 8 hr Lolz 6
New Finance Director, City Clerk 22 hr Revolution Calling 42
Shots Fired Thu Clue Two 6
More from around the web