new sidewalks all over Indy

Posted in the Independence Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
cocoa

Chanute, KS

#1 Jan 23, 2013
I think they will look good but wont get as much use as a road full of pot holes.FIX THE ROADS!

Since: Oct 10

Independence, Kansas

#2 Jan 23, 2013
cocoa wrote:
I think they will look good but wont get as much use as a road full of pot holes.FIX THE ROADS!
Your tax dollars at work, courtesy of the Department of Justice.

At least the jobs ADA compliance provides are local...

Since: May 12

Independence, Ks

#3 Jan 23, 2013
Indy_Dick wrote:
<quoted text>Your tax dollars at work, courtesy of the Department of Justice.
At least the jobs ADA compliance provides are local...
Are they?

Independence, Kansas

#4 Jan 24, 2013
Indy Truth wrote:
<quoted text>Are they?
Mostly...Heckman is damn sure gettin' his share. I'm sure Transystems is in there somewhere. Ready-Mix will be providing the concrete I imagine...R&S at Neodesha usually gets some of the work...
...even if some of the work is from an out of town contractor, the help has to stay somewhere and they have to eat. After hours there is probably a bar for entertainment...
amateur

Independence, KS

#5 Jan 24, 2013
I heard ADA rules are picky.Some of the new sidewalk ramps look like their so steep a wheelchair couldn't get up them without rolling backward.Is anyone checking the ramps when their done to make sure they are right?John Heckman did the plans for our fellowship hall and our church has spent a lot of money fixing it so water doesn't drain into the bulding when it rains.My brother lives in Neodesha and he said Heckman planned their fire hall and the roof leaks, leaks, leaks.Someone told me hes now in charge of fixing the roof on Memorial Hall.Does anyone know why he keeps being hired for city projects when his past work has been so bad?Wouldn't it be better to have a roofer gives some ideas about that big Memorial Hall roof?
brrr

Wichita, KS

#6 Jan 24, 2013
Isn't it to cold to pour the cement. I have noticed they put a thin blanket over them for a night,but can they be fully dried in that short of time. Oh well,just replace them in a few years.
Yes

Independence, KS

#7 Jan 24, 2013
brrr wrote:
Isn't it to cold to pour the cement. I have noticed they put a thin blanket over them for a night,but can they be fully dried in that short of time. Oh well,just replace them in a few years.
It is too cold to be pouring cement even with a thin blanket.City should stop the pours until it warms back up or the sidewalks will have to be replaced.

Independence, Kansas

#8 Jan 24, 2013
Yes wrote:
<quoted text>
It is too cold to be pouring cement even with a thin blanket.City should stop the pours until it warms back up or the sidewalks will have to be replaced.
Actually, with the right mix in the concrete, successful pours can be made in tempuratures in the twenties.

Concrete is an exothermic chemical reaction when it starts to set. I doesn't just "dry out". The water in the mix actually chemically reacts with the cement and puts off heat in the process. The additives have to be right, though or you will have a mess.

The architect overseeing the job should be the one responsible for making sure that pours make in these temperatures are using the right composition...

<what's that...?>

<Oh, crap...you are right...we are screwed! I forgot...Heckman is the architect that is overseeing this...>
spalled concrete

Wichita, KS

#9 Jan 24, 2013
You are correct Indy_Dick. The first night the chemical reaction does produce heat and helps keep it from freezing, but after that the moisture that is still in the concrete can freeze and then cause problems. Some of the chemical additives speed up the chemical reaction but do not prevent the concrete from freezing. The best method to protect the concrete is to not pour it when the temperature is below freezing.
Yes

Independence, KS

#10 Jan 24, 2013
spalled concrete wrote:
You are correct Indy_Dick. The first night the chemical reaction does produce heat and helps keep it from freezing, but after that the moisture that is still in the concrete can freeze and then cause problems. Some of the chemical additives speed up the chemical reaction but do not prevent the concrete from freezing. The best method to protect the concrete is to not pour it when the temperature is below freezing.
This is absolutely correct.
Agreed

United States

#11 Jan 25, 2013
Isn't his daughter Beth the dentist with the new "parking lot" that looks like crap?
Observer

Independence, KS

#12 Jan 26, 2013
Ever notice when the city's doing something stupid that's discussed on Topix the stupidity suddenly stops?Sidewalk work was going on like crazy until the pouring concrete in freezing weather came up on Topix, then the work came to a halt.City manager and asst. manager must read Topix so they'll get info about how to do their jobs.If we're going to tell them what they should be doing maybe they should agree to take a cut in pay since they should have figured it out themselves.
Observer

Independence, KS

#13 Jan 26, 2013
PS Some of the sidewalks look like crap and have all sorts of weird angles and tilts so Micky and Kelly, you better have your buddy Heckman check them out to see if they're done right. If they have to be redone you're going to have one h*ll of a revolt on your hands.The days of paying Heckman and TranSystems twice for doing the same job because they weren't done right in the first place are over.
goat

Independence, KS

#14 Jan 26, 2013
the work has not stopped, drive out by the ark that where they are workin now
goat

Independence, KS

#15 Jan 26, 2013
how bout by the Park ,not ark LOL
Agreed

United States

#16 Jan 26, 2013
I've noticed how the sidewalks are only getting done in the "good" neighborhoods. They stop, literally, once you hit the "ghetto".
Observer

Independence, KS

#17 Jan 26, 2013
goat wrote:
how bout by the Park ,not ark LOL
There may have been prep work being done by the park but there's not been any concrete poured since Thursday.
et one

Latham, KS

#18 Jan 26, 2013
Indy_Dick wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, with the right mix in the concrete, successful pours can be made in tempuratures in the twenties.
Concrete is an exothermic chemical reaction when it starts to set. I doesn't just "dry out". The water in the mix actually chemically reacts with the cement and puts off heat in the process. The additives have to be right, though or you will have a mess.
The architect overseeing the job should be the one responsible for making sure that pours make in these temperatures are using the right composition...
<what's that...?>
<Oh, crap...you are right...we are screwed! I forgot...Heckman is the architect that is overseeing this...>
Generally there is an engineering company on scene for every batch pulling a sample which is then allowed to cure then destructive tested to assure the product is of the correct strenght. If it doesn't meet standard the areas poured are liable to being jackhammered out and replaced at the contractor's cost.
Observer

Independence, KS

#19 Jan 26, 2013
et one wrote:
<quoted text>
Generally there is an engineering company on scene for every batch pulling a sample which is then allowed to cure then destructive tested to assure the product is of the correct strenght. If it doesn't meet standard the areas poured are liable to being jackhammered out and replaced at the contractor's cost.
Don't think the group doing the work is that professional.

Independence, Kansas

#20 Jan 27, 2013
et one wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember, we are talking about Heckman here and not some professional bunch. The city probably didn't even think to require such measures in their contract with him and I'm sure Heckman didn't mention it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Independence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ICC full time enrollment down by 39.2% 28 min Far East 32
Now that we have an honest Mayor in Caflish wil... 1 hr Big head 3
ISIS On The Border 1 hr reply 12
Independence School Board Expense Reductions 3 hr Ghost town coming 5
truth about bible comes out 3 hr name 27
Election Resultz 5 hr Frowning 35
666 Reasons Why Hillary Clinton is Evil 10 hr Gangnum Style 16
Jim Sheldons Dogs in County 12 hr Other 3
More from around the web

Independence People Search