First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Great

Wichita, KS

#1 Jan 19, 2013
Micky and his friend the Sup of schools have gotten a committee together to study the stadium. I do think the stadium should be by the school since all that money has been spent on them and it would give the park more room unless they made the stadium a soccer field. What are your thoughts?
responding

Cherryvale, KS

#2 Jan 19, 2013
Boy you guys really want your taxes to go up!
you need to fix

Jefferson City, MO

#3 Jan 19, 2013
Main Street- "pothole storage for montgomery county"
guess what

Parsons, KS

#4 Jan 19, 2013
Guess who got to pick the people on the committee? Webb and Schmidt. How impartial do you think that committee will be? One screw job after another with those two.
No Excuse

United States

#5 Jan 19, 2013
Schmidt is more interested in building buildings for his legacy than educating kids. State money is drying up fast in Kansas. If we have money that could be spent on a stadium, that money should be spent on education not on a football/soccer facility. I would like to have better locker rooms, better restrooms, better concession stands for the football experience, but this is not the time to spend, spend, spend.
One of the previous posts said that the committees were stacked. I agree completely.
Why not take out some of the south wall of the stadium,build restrooms, concession stand, and locker rooms there. The road would be closed and this would solve a number of problems.
Let's be realistic about this and use common sense. I will be interested on how the candidates for these three boards feel about this issue.
Worked

Independence, KS

#6 Jan 19, 2013
Why does the park need MORE room?
Great

Wichita, KS

#7 Jan 19, 2013
Was just wanting to see the reaction. When looking at the list of people they chose, I thought what a crock. Bunch of yes people.
Not a Fan

Independence, KS

#8 Jan 21, 2013
I havent seen a list personally but have heard who is on it but again have not seen it with my own eyes but after hearing the names I laughed out loud! There is not one person on that board that is not a HUGE sports fan. Wow really do you think the Booster Club president is going to want a new Stadium! Give me a break!
who is it

United States

#9 Jan 21, 2013
Who is on the list? I haven't heard anything about this.
Spend

Coffeyville, KS

#10 Jan 21, 2013
Spend spend spend, must be Democrats.
Cindy

Ingleside, TX

#11 Jan 21, 2013
Spend wrote:
Spend spend spend, must be Democrats.
The city administrations in both Independence and Coffeyville are thoroughly Republican. That's why both communities are thriving.
What I See

United States

#12 Jan 21, 2013
Anybody else suspicious about this Schmidt/Webb deal.
City is only interested in building ADA compliant rest rooms. Schmidt wants to spend the school district out of all reserve funds.
It worries me when Schmidt and Webb appoint a committee together. This business should be watched very, very closely.
Coffeyville

Coffeyville, KS

#13 Jan 22, 2013
You only have to travel a few minutes south to see the results of mis-spent tax dollars. Dont make the same mistake Coffeyville with the "Build it and they will come" philosophy. We now have a Taj Mahal stadium that gets used maybe 12x per year and is NEVER full. Got 2 18 hole golf courses used by a fraction of the citizens, sky high taxes, crumbling streets, shitty downtown, highest welfare dole in state, with businesses fleeing. Use us as an example of what not to do. Come visit and drive around this slum of a town and you will appreciate what you have there in Indy. Hold your officials accountable. Good luck

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#14 Jan 22, 2013
Coffeyville wrote:
You only have to travel a few minutes south to see the results of mis-spent tax dollars. Dont make the same mistake Coffeyville with the "Build it and they will come" philosophy. We now have a Taj Mahal stadium that gets used maybe 12x per year and is NEVER full. Got 2 18 hole golf courses used by a fraction of the citizens, sky high taxes, crumbling streets, shitty downtown, highest welfare dole in state, with businesses fleeing. Use us as an example of what not to do. Come visit and drive around this slum of a town and you will appreciate what you have there in Indy. Hold your officials accountable. Good luck
Though the City of Coffeyville owns the "Taj Mahal stadium" it gave operational control of it over to CCC. They both were approached with an opportunity to share it with ICC and the President of CCC outright refused the offer. Now that the Machinery Tax is up in the air and their primary funding is in jeapordy, maybe they will be open to other offers to share the expense and get MORE USE out of an already built stadium. When the will of the TAX PAYER is heard, they will listen and adjust their views. If the Machinery tax has the impact reported then every taxing entity SHOULD be diligent in finding new avenues of funding existing expenditures and be faithful to those whom they serve.
Sybil the Seer

Ingleside, TX

#15 Jan 22, 2013
Coffeyville wrote:
The scumbag the City Commission hired as city manager will quickly take Coffeyville even lower.
yeahyeah

United States

#16 Jan 23, 2013
Wally is right - if that machinery tax thing passes, Coffeyville will be squished like a flabby grape.
Coffeyville

Coffeyville, KS

#17 Jan 23, 2013
Yes, Coffeyville has been void of real leadership for decades now. Decade after decade of bad decisions, and kickbacks have bought the town to the lowly state that it possesses today. Sadly there seems to be no indication that we have learned anything from our mistakes. We seem to just keep using the same playbook and expect different results. From what I have read, Coffeyville was once a pretty nice place back in the 50s & 60s. Sad to see what it has become. Hope Indy does not follow course.
fanbelt

United States

#18 Jan 24, 2013
wally515 wrote:
<quoted text>Now that the Machinery Tax is up in the air and their primary funding is in jeapordy, maybe they will be open to other offers to share the expense and get MORE USE out of an already built stadium. When the will of the TAX PAYER is heard, they will listen and adjust their views. If the Machinery tax has the impact reported then every taxing entity SHOULD be diligent in finding new avenues of funding existing expenditures and be faithful to those whom they serve.
Wally,

Its difficult to read your brash post and the context in which it was written, without wondering lots of things. Don't forget there have been appeals by the Fertilizer Plant. In other words the reason its "up in the air", is because the Resources couldn't accept its appraised value. It seems like a case of a large entity not getting its way, and now appealing, bullying in some ways.....until it gets its way. If it doesn't work, lobby the Republican controlled Kansas legislature so it can change laws that favor levying minimal tax on corporations.

Meanwhile, you complain about taxes and the burden of tax payers. In rooting for that corporation to "win" , and not be taxed, at the expense of public institutions. It seems contrary to what you supposedly believe in. What spite it seems like you have for the common man, paying taxes in your neighboring community.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#19 Jan 24, 2013
fanbelt wrote:
<quoted text>
Wally,
Its difficult to read your brash post and the context in which it was written, without wondering lots of things. Don't forget there have been appeals by the Fertilizer Plant. In other words the reason its "up in the air", is because the Resources couldn't accept its appraised value. It seems like a case of a large entity not getting its way, and now appealing, bullying in some ways.....until it gets its way. If it doesn't work, lobby the Republican controlled Kansas legislature so it can change laws that favor levying minimal tax on corporations.
Meanwhile, you complain about taxes and the burden of tax payers. In rooting for that corporation to "win" , and not be taxed, at the expense of public institutions. It seems contrary to what you supposedly believe in. What spite it seems like you have for the common man, paying taxes in your neighboring community.
Then let me simplify my stance. I believe on every level that we are Taxed Enough Already. That includes individual, home owners, corporations and anybody else that is taxed to support a Government who has grown to believe and enforce the perception that it is the end all say all in anything that generates a transaction. Whether that be goods and services or labor and effort. I do not disagree that the Refinery got complacent in benefiting from its abatement and when it came time to pay the people of this County that they begrudged us what we demanded. However, I also do not believe this Refinery is being taxed the same as other entities within Kansas. The Machinery Tax almost was ramrodded down the previous legislative body because of powerful lobby efforts. It will rear its head again and we need people in place within our governing bodies to be ready and willing to accept the outcome regardless of what it may be. We can not keep spending other peoples money and expect them to remain quiet when we come to collect. I believe the courts will side with MGCO and that the legislature will benefit business. In the end, we are going to have to deal with less revenue and it is imperative that we have a deliberate plan to deal with what may come. If it does not, the only thing we have lost is a priority of economic viability of our current expenses as governing bodies. I am sorry you feel my post was brash. I hope this explains my view and why I have chosen to approach this in the manner I am.
huh?

Lockhart, TX

#20 Jan 24, 2013
Where does that refinery tax thing stand??????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Independence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Letter to the Reporter... 6 hr Suggestion 19
who is a good lawyer for civil matter in Indy area 7 hr karmasucks 1
Enemy flags in Mt. Hope 8 hr AFF 8
Love my town 9 hr clean up the streets 18
IHS Principal 11 hr this aint tulsa 39
Independence g&w 14 hr wut wut 21
Senior Meal Delivery in Jeopady 16 hr Guessing 5
The Independence Ghost Town is Getting Closer 21 hr Guessing 48
More from around the web

Personal Finance