Christmas Gift Ideas: Elderly Relatives/People

Posted in the Independence Forum

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Sep 10, 2012
Mary Christmas

Independence, KS

#1 Sep 9, 2012
Every Christmas, some of us have people on our Christmas lists who are hard to buy for. For the next several Sundays, it might be helpful to everyone if we took a group of people and brainstormed/shared ideas for Christmas gifts for them. Hopefully, this will make everyone's shopping easier and gift recipient's merrier. This week's group: Elderly Relatives/People.

Anyone who's had to help an elderly person break up housekeeping may have come across dozens of gifts given by friends and relatives over the course of years that are still brand new and in their original boxes. The reason this happens may be because when someone grows older, they already have most things they need and so don't need anything else, especially frou-frou. The other reason it may happen is because the people giving the gifts know they have everything they need so just buy anything, so they'll have a gift to give.

The key might be to buy elderly individuals something they could actually use or something they enjoy, but are currently having to pay for themselves. In past years, I have given my elderly relatives things like subscriptions to the paper (or a magazine) and a gift certificate for someone to rake their leaves in the fall. They've loved both gifts and we all won't have to worry about finding a place to store them until they break up housekeeping. Of course, something like a subscription can be expensive so you can either just give them a three-month subscription or ask other relatives to pitch in on it. They might appreciate the offer.

Does anyone else out there have other good ideas to share so someone's Christmas shopping for elderly relatives/people might be a little easier? HO! HO! HO!
living large

Independence, KS

#2 Sep 9, 2012
Mary Christmas wrote:
Every Christmas, some of us have people on our Christmas lists who are hard to buy for. For the next several Sundays, it might be helpful to everyone if we took a group of people and brainstormed/shared ideas for Christmas gifts for them. Hopefully, this will make everyone's shopping easier and gift recipient's merrier. This week's group: Elderly Relatives/People.
Anyone who's had to help an elderly person break up housekeeping may have come across dozens of gifts given by friends and relatives over the course of years that are still brand new and in their original boxes. The reason this happens may be because when someone grows older, they already have most things they need and so don't need anything else, especially frou-frou. The other reason it may happen is because the people giving the gifts know they have everything they need so just buy anything, so they'll have a gift to give.
The key might be to buy elderly individuals something they could actually use or something they enjoy, but are currently having to pay for themselves. In past years, I have given my elderly relatives things like subscriptions to the paper (or a magazine) and a gift certificate for someone to rake their leaves in the fall. They've loved both gifts and we all won't have to worry about finding a place to store them until they break up housekeeping. Of course, something like a subscription can be expensive so you can either just give them a three-month subscription or ask other relatives to pitch in on it. They might appreciate the offer.
Does anyone else out there have other good ideas to share so someone's Christmas shopping for elderly relatives/people might be a little easier? HO! HO! HO!
Visa cash gift card always works!
Idea

Independence, KS

#3 Sep 9, 2012
My granddad loves piddling with his car. For his birthday I gave him a gift certificate for a free oil and lube job. For Christmas I'm going to give him a gift certificate to have it thoroughly cleaned and detailed. I know he'll love it.
Time

Wichita, KS

#4 Sep 9, 2012
The gift of spending time with elderly friends and relatives is a sure winner. Take them out to dinner or lunch. If they can't get out, go see them and just talk. You will receive the gift of hearing stories from the past and learning something in many cases. It's a win-win. The house cleaning, leaf raking, window washing, chores around the house idea is fantastic if they are still at home.
Grandpa

Independence, KS

#5 Sep 9, 2012
Mary Christmas wrote:
Sex, drugs and rock and roll! Now and always!
Grandpa

Independence, KS

#6 Sep 9, 2012
I knew it! You don't really want old people to have any fun!
Grandma

Independence, KS

#7 Sep 9, 2012
I hope someone gives me a one-way ticket to get away from Grandpa-his brain works as bad as the rest of him.
Ideas

Parsons, KS

#8 Sep 9, 2012
I think postage stamps is always a good idea. Many still pay their bills by mail and stamps are necessary. Perhaps a box of assorted cards as well (birthday, get well, sympathy, etc.) to keep in touch with family.
Wonder

Independence, KS

#9 Sep 10, 2012
My grandmother grew up during the depression and loves it when she can get something free or on sale. I give her a gift certificate to get a cut, perm, and set and she loves it. She looks great at no cost (another benefit of the gift)!
Random Ideas

Wichita, KS

#10 Sep 10, 2012
Reporter subscription
Payment on the Cable or Satellite bill
Car detailing
Gift certificate for Pizza Hut or any other place that delivers
If they still own their home:
Window washing
Lawn care
Paint job
Depends on how extravagant you want to get. Family members could pool their money.
Idea

Wichita, KS

#11 Sep 10, 2012
A new president!!

Since: Oct 10

Independence, Kansas

#12 Sep 10, 2012
As a grandparent, I appreciate pictures of the kids and their children. I don't see mine very often as they live many, many miles from Independence. Some of my children are very good at sending pictures and some don't unless prompted occasionally. Regardless, I love them all...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Independence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ghost town coming 3 hr Trump 12
KS Who do you favor in the Kansas governor's race? 5 hr The Kangaroo 203
Frankies Dawgs under new direction 7 hr felonindy 12
Nice newspaper articles 7 hr ghost town coming 17
new city commissioner 10 hr woo 64
KS Kansas Voting Disqualification Amendment - Ment... (Oct '10) 20 hr speaking of pork 269
City commission lack of concern with police 20 hr Keep hush hush 6
This quote is essential when it comes to how th... Sun Revolution Calling 57
Why are men acting out violently? Sat Revolution Calling 21
•••
•••
•••

Independence Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Independence People Search