Hiring a new basketball coach.
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
veiwer

Independence, KS

#23 Apr 15, 2010
I am sure there are some very qualified coaches in the surrounding areas but I have to agree with some previous posts that we should keep our minds open to outside applicants. Who knows? Someone outside this area might have a new perspective on the game and how to work well with our kids. We need someone who can work WITH our talent rather than against. Someone who can and does encourage each kid in the right way that will make each one want to but out their best effort! I think Craig Null would be great but don't know if he's able to apply for it. I don't know the rules but this is what I see from being a previous BB mom and soon to be in the future. Good luck to all with the selection process. It will be tough to satisfy everyone!
fan

Muskogee, OK

#24 Apr 22, 2010
The job is filled. He has a good squad to start with.
Lanning got my vote

Okmulgee, OK

#25 Apr 22, 2010
Marcus Lanning would be the best choice he is a great guy all the way around. Great dad, great coach and a great man. Has good morals that is a must have from what I hear the last coach had none.....
Gee thanks for info

Coffeyville, KS

#26 Apr 22, 2010
Who got the job??
Truman

Independence, KS

#27 Apr 22, 2010
Gee thanks for info wrote:
Who got the job??
i heard they gave it to Marcus. I think he is qualified, and hope he turns program around. I know he will work hard at it. No one can question his work ethic!
IHS PARENT

Independence, KS

#28 Apr 22, 2010
Marcus is a great guy! And someone the kids can respect. He will do great!
friend

Independence, KS

#29 Apr 22, 2010
I know basketball is the whole focus, but he has another very important job, teaching K,1, and 2 PE. Can he do that? Will he connect with 5, 6, 7, & 8 year olds?
IHS PARENT

Independence, KS

#30 Apr 23, 2010
Yes i think he is very capable.
DONT CARE

Independence, KS

#31 Apr 23, 2010
i grew up with lanning and he is an eregant prick how ever u spell it he may be a good coach he may not but more than sports what do they bring to the table as far as teaching or have we forgot that learning IS more important then sports??????????

gdi

Since: Aug 09

Coffeyville, KS

#32 Apr 23, 2010
hope he does well. however his record at Fredonia is not that impressive. and dont give me the talent is different in the tvl and sek. I know it is, but he had four years to develope the talent up there and it didnt happen. He is also as we know stepping into a tougher league, he will not be able to out coach the likes of wall and smith at lchs.
Ap Parent

United States

#33 Apr 23, 2010
I believe that he will do a good job. The former coach at Fredonia seemed to know when to quit coaching. I have come to know Mr. Lanning personally and he seems like a good person. But I wouldn't want him as our coach if he couldn't do a good job. In most programs the talent is cultivated well before high school. It is up to the hs coach to take that talent and get the most out of it IMO. I believe that it is important to make the sport fun for the players as well as instilling discipline. Hopefully everyone will give him a chance. \
Big D

Independence, KS

#34 Apr 23, 2010
DONT CARE wrote:
i grew up with lanning and he is an eregant prick how ever u spell it he may be a good coach he may not but more than sports what do they bring to the table as far as teaching or have we forgot that learning IS more important then sports??????????
Pretty obvious your a geek!!! Did you ever take the chance to get to know Marcus. I also grew up with Marcus, he is a good guy and a well educated teacher and caoch!!! Don't downgrade someone because you were no cool enough to hang with him.
Bulldog 4 life

Independence, KS

#35 Apr 23, 2010
Great hire...Ive known Marcus for several years, couldnt have found a better coach, and or person. Marcus, looking forward to watching you lead the Dawgs.
Lanning got my vote

Okmulgee, OK

#36 Apr 23, 2010
I totally agree and DONT CARE needs to get a life...
Indy Chick

Wichita, KS

#37 Apr 24, 2010
I think you're confusing him with his brother. Marcus is an awesome, friendly guy--his brother Lucas is opposite.
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty obvious your a geek!!! Did you ever take the chance to get to know Marcus. I also grew up with Marcus, he is a good guy and a well educated teacher and caoch!!! Don't downgrade someone because you were no cool enough to hang with him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Independence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tia myers bonds again!! 45 min nobody special 6
who 47 min citizenx 5
Boycott Gay Businesses in Indy 1 hr Guess Who 18
Confederate Flag Day in Indy! 4 hr indy 40
We Won 5 hr No bueno 85
Coupons and Recipes (Feb '13) Sun Sara 57
Polygamy Marriage Rights Sat Man with 9 Wife S... 1
More from around the web

Independence People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE