MG Rural Fire District #1 - What's t...

MG Rural Fire District #1 - What's the plan now?

Posted in the Independence Forum

Since: May 12

Independence, Ks

#1 Aug 17, 2012
Since the county commission allowed Mr. McCleary to either be fired or have his position eliminated, has anyone heard what direction the commission is taking the district as far as leadership and day to day operations?
wally515
#2 Aug 17, 2012
The fire board president will be the middle man for now.
I re-addressed with one of the Commissioners that the current "fire board" is illegal as none of its members have YET to be APOINTED by the Commissioners per State Law. I guess it will be business as usual until push comes to shove. As it is now, the board is not really accountable to the Commissioners or their wishes/directives. Take the fact that they re-appointed a fireman after he was dismissed by the former Director. Unless the board becomes subordinate to the commissioners we will continue to have issues.
wally515

Parsons, KS

#3 Aug 31, 2012
BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, KANSAS
Agenda for September 5, 2012
Lower Level of Judicial Center
7:30 P.M. Call to Order
A) Invocation
B) Pledge of Allegiance
7:35 P.M. Montgomery County Rural Fire District #1
1. Joint meeting with the Board of County Commissioners
Other Business:
a. Burn Ban
THIS AGENDA IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE, ALL MEETINGS ARE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
wally515

Parsons, KS

#4 Sep 6, 2012
UPDATE: The three wise men are preparing to delegate their leadership over the Rural Fire by appointing the current board as "TRUSTEES" per State Law. This will allow them to govern themselves and levy the mill per their budget demands. Of course they, like every other department under the jursidiction will still have to answer to them, they will for the first time have the legal authority to decide their own fate. I just hope these TRUSTEEs have to go through some open meetings training so they are transparent to the tax payer. this is a good thing for the County Rural Fire. I just hope they are up to the job. The purpose for last nights meeting was to assertain the proceedures for bill paying and reporting and the extra duties the Coordinator did like fire inspections of day cares and reports and such. Once they get the details worked out, it is the intention of the Commissioners to appoint them as TRUSTEES so they can SELF GOVERN. This should have happened YEARS ago. Oh...and they extended the FIRE BURN BAN until next Monday's meeting with the water shortage and restrictions as the reason.
calling BS

United States

#5 Sep 6, 2012
Wally515 you are full of it.
wally515

Parsons, KS

#6 Sep 6, 2012
calling BS wrote:
Wally515 you are full of it.
ok, read the Reporter tonight, they were there

Since: May 12

Independence, Ks

#7 Sep 6, 2012
wally515 wrote:
UPDATE: The three wise men are preparing to delegate their leadership over the Rural Fire by appointing the current board as "TRUSTEES" per State Law. This will allow them to govern themselves and levy the mill per their budget demands. Of course they, like every other department under the jursidiction will still have to answer to them, they will for the first time have the legal authority to decide their own fate. I just hope these TRUSTEEs have to go through some open meetings training so they are transparent to the tax payer. this is a good thing for the County Rural Fire. I just hope they are up to the job. The purpose for last nights meeting was to assertain the proceedures for bill paying and reporting and the extra duties the Coordinator did like fire inspections of day cares and reports and such. Once they get the details worked out, it is the intention of the Commissioners to appoint them as TRUSTEES so they can SELF GOVERN. This should have happened YEARS ago. Oh...and they extended the FIRE BURN BAN until next Monday's meeting with the water shortage and restrictions as the reason.
So it is true then that indeed there is no existing resolution that can be found ever placing the fire district under a fire board of trustees? One could go back 30 plus years then and cite instances where an illegal "board" managed a Montgomery County separate taxing entity, making decisions they never had the authority to make. Interesting.

Since: Oct 10

Independence, Kansas

#8 Sep 6, 2012
wally515 wrote:
<quoted text>ok, read the Reporter tonight, they were there
Wally, just because the Reporter was there does not mean that Allen Smith will get the story right. Sometimes he does and often he doesn't. Nature of the beast, I guess.

As long as the meeting for a "Fire Board" are public, I don't guess I have a problem with the concept. In the past, there has been too much in fighting among different fire divisions over who gets what equipment and who is responsible for getting things done at a fire barn.
wally515

Parsons, KS

#9 Sep 6, 2012
Indy_Dick wrote:
<quoted text>Wally, just because the Reporter was there does not mean that Allen Smith will get the story right. Sometimes he does and often he doesn't. Nature of the beast, I guess.
As long as the meeting for a "Fire Board" are public, I don't guess I have a problem with the concept. In the past, there has been too much in fighting among different fire divisions over who gets what equipment and who is responsible for getting things done at a fire barn.
No arguement from me on the Reporter but they SHOULD restate what I posted above. Even if I am "full of it" my purpose of posting this was to keep those interested informed of the change of direction and the INTENT of our elected officials. How it turns out or what happened in the past are irrelevant as I found out at the meeting. Mr. McManus misunderstood my question/statement and he and I exchanged words. The audiance and Mr. Rau also exchanged blows back and forth as Leon chastised the board for not following their own by laws and the audiance member sticking up for the board as a former board member in opposition to Leon. Mr. Haymaker seems to be the voice behind the board and its future as Trustees. Dan is the Board President and is the duly appointed person to be the point man for the Commissioners on this transition but Randy had a lot to say as he, in my opinion, is the only one who has truly vetted this whole transfer in leadership and authority issue. It is my fear that the Trustees will be appointed by the Commissioners without any time limit or vetting process by them. They appear to be set on just taking the fire barn appointed personnel as the only Trustee options. State law allows for other options if the Commissioners were interested in them. I fear in they will not consider the long term ramifications of just appointing these guys outright with no thought of when their term expires.
calling BS

United States

#10 Sep 6, 2012
appointing the board members to be trustees would be flushing money down the drain. And Wally I was there

Independence, Kansas

#11 Sep 6, 2012
wally515 wrote:
<quoted text>No arguement from me on the Reporter but they SHOULD restate what I posted above. Even if I am "full of it" my purpose of posting this was to keep those interested informed of the change of direction and the INTENT of our elected officials. How it turns out or what happened in the past are irrelevant as I found out at the meeting. Mr. McManus misunderstood my question/statement and he and I exchanged words. The audiance and Mr. Rau also exchanged blows back and forth as Leon chastised the board for not following their own by laws and the audiance member sticking up for the board as a former board member in opposition to Leon. Mr. Haymaker seems to be the voice behind the board and its future as Trustees. Dan is the Board President and is the duly appointed person to be the point man for the Commissioners on this transition but Randy had a lot to say as he, in my opinion, is the only one who has truly vetted this whole transfer in leadership and authority issue. It is my fear that the Trustees will be appointed by the Commissioners without any time limit or vetting process by them. They appear to be set on just taking the fire barn appointed personnel as the only Trustee options. State law allows for other options if the Commissioners were interested in them. I fear in they will not consider the long term ramifications of just appointing these guys outright with no thought of when their term expires.
Thank you for posting the information and your insight...I guess we will have to stay tuned in order to see this play out. I agree that there needs to be a vetting process for the trustee before they are appointed. I know of some persons that might be appointed but I think would only cause problems on down the line. One thing about a board, there has to be a quorum adn majority rules...a fire chief can't take off on a tangent like has been done sometimes in the past just because a rule doesn't suit them. The board rulings are going to have to have the backing of the county commission though or it will become a mess like it was before...

Independence, Kansas

#12 Sep 6, 2012
calling BS wrote:
appointing the board members to be trustees would be flushing money down the drain. And Wally I was there
please explain why appointing fire board members as trustees would be flushing money down the drain...I don't follow.

They would serve without compensation, I imagine...
wally515

Parsons, KS

#13 Sep 6, 2012
calling BS wrote:
then please explain your BS remark. i too have concern as to cart blanch appointing the current board to be TRUSTEEs as I have seen how they run their meetings. But I preach smaller government and this achieves that aim. It puts the governing of this entity with the ones who are directly involved with this department. If they are held to the same public scrutiny as other departments and oversight by the ELECTED commissioners we should do just fine with them governing themselves. as far as being full of bull shit, that sounds like you just dont like me personally. which is fine as that is your right and priveledge. at least i come at ya with my true name and my true intent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Independence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Montgomery County Junior Colleges 2 hr ICC 10
Name Two You Would Vote For - City Commission 6 hr Frank Crebase 164
Virgil and the losers 11 hr atwood boots 14
MCAC NAMES "EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH" at Spears Mfg. 12 hr yeah 14
indy cruise night 18 hr Real 11
Four County 19 hr ghost town coming 4
County intends to raise 2018 spending by $3.8 m... Thu Eight 11

Independence Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance