Sunflower Academy is now open (ARCO B...

Sunflower Academy is now open (ARCO BUILDING)

Posted in the Independence Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Sunflower Academy

Sedan, KS

#1 Jan 5, 2011
The Sunflower Academy is now open. We are a pre-school for ages of 2 to School Age, SRS Approved. Some of the key aspects of our pre-school is as follow: 1) Flexible Hours & Programs, 2) Open Door Policy for Parents, 3) Specially Trained Teachers, 4) Lunch, and Snacks Provided, 5) Art, Music, and Language Programs, 6) Exercise Classes, 7) Mixed Age Classes (Ages 2-5), 8) SRS Approved

Telephone:(620) 332 – 1611
email: [email protected]

“Kitty”

Since: Apr 09

kansas city

#2 Jan 7, 2011
is this at the old independence daycare? Who owns this one?65
Wondering

Ingleside, TX

#3 Jan 7, 2011
How much do you charge? That's what everyone wants to know.
holiday inn express

United States

#4 Jan 7, 2011
Wondering wrote:
How much do you charge? That's what everyone wants to know.
Doubt that they accept credit. Probably have to pay in cash or by check.
why

Springfield, MO

#5 Jan 9, 2011
why would you pay daycare with a credit card anyways?
Sunflower Academy

Sedan, KS

#6 Jan 9, 2011
Kitty2002 wrote:
is this at the old independence daycare? Who owns this one?65
Hello, and thank-you for your question. We have NO affiliation with the Independence Daycare by any means. This is under new ownership. We have been working on this for the past nine months due to the multiple violations and unacceptable conditions that the Independence Daycare operated. Please see our article within the Independence Daily Reporter in Sunday Business section for further information or join us at Facebook: Sunflower Academy (Independence Kansas).
Sunflower Academy

Sedan, KS

#7 Jan 9, 2011
The programs are set as follow however, if other hours are going to be inquired about, we will certainly consider adjusting our hours. We have estabilished three programs: Program One: Monday thru Friday - 8:00 am to 3:30 pm, Program Two: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday - 8:00 am to 3:30 pm, Program Three: Tuesday and Thursday - 8:00 am to 3:30 pm. The rates are: Program One:$110.00/week, Program Two:$66.00/week, Program Three:$44.00/week.
Sunflower Academy

Sedan, KS

#8 Jan 9, 2011
At this time, we are not accepting credit or debit cards however, we are in process to sign up for such a service.
Sunflower Academy

Sedan, KS

#9 Jan 9, 2011
As you will notice in today's article in the paper, we are having an Open House on Saturday, January 15th, 2011 from noon to 3:00 pm and invite the community to come in and see our new facility and to meet the owner Dawna and Program Director Tami. We look forward to see on that or simply call to schedule an appointment for a walk through at the Academy.
Sunflower Academy

Sedan, KS

#10 Jan 9, 2011
Please email us at [email protected] so we can share a copy of our Philosophy and our introduction information package.
Parent

United States

#11 Jan 9, 2011
Well, my honest opinion is that you aren't going to get much business. Most people need a daycare until at least 5. Your prices are way higher than most of the other daycares/preschools in town also. Just FYI, you might want to rethink some things.

“Kitty”

Since: Apr 09

kansas city

#12 Jan 9, 2011
I know daycares who open at 530am and they close @ 6 and have kids from open to close and they charge less. So no offense but school starts at 8 no parent who works or go to school can do that with those hours.
Daycare Owner

Ingleside, TX

#13 Jan 9, 2011
I agree with all of you. There is no way that they are going to get children from 8-3:30. One problem is that school starts at 7:50 and most parents who have a job or go to school/college have to be there at 7:50 or 8am. So this won't work for those parents. You say that you can consider adjusting the hours. This should have been thought out better before the place even decided to open. The prices are extreme. MOST daycares in this town charge because of age. Regardless of how long the child is there a week. UNLESS you can get two part time children that have different schedules. You can call around to other daycares AND preschool programs and they are not even this high on their rates. That is just a little bit of my opinion.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#14 Jan 9, 2011
How in the world do they think parents can afford to pay $110/wk. for childcare? Especially since a lot of mothers are single and working at minimum wage jobs. No wonder so many young women go on ADC and food stamps. Can't afford to work.
Daycare Owner

Ingleside, TX

#15 Jan 9, 2011
whistlebritches wrote:
How in the world do they think parents can afford to pay $110/wk. for childcare? Especially since a lot of mothers are single and working at minimum wage jobs. No wonder so many young women go on ADC and food stamps. Can't afford to work.
I agree! And the economy stinks anyways as it is! Its hard to make a living basically no matter what your job is!
a mom

Independence, KS

#16 Jan 9, 2011
Flexible hours means talk to them and see what can be worked out. They have to have a regular hours set up since they are State approved. The fact that it can be discussed means they DID think it out.
Also many parents that are helped by state can afford it cause the state allows for such prices. And in many state affiliated agencies those are not extreme prices. Particularly since many parents, young or old, are adc and vision because that way they can get out of working any more than is necessary. And that is when good paying jobs are plentiful. Note use of the word 'many'. Not 'all'.
Most importantly, did ANY of you contact these people to find out the answers to these questions BEFORE making it sound like a lost cause?
Sunflower Academy

Sedan, KS

#17 Jan 10, 2011
"a mom" you are so kind and thank-you for your kind words and support. We are humbled to have such wonderful individuals within our community. Others, please bear in mind that we are taking applications at this time by having a presence at the academy and we are open to any suggestions from our community. Our opening day has been scheduled for next Monday, January 17th in order to allow us time to have the Open House this Saturday, January 15th from Noon to 3:00 pm. In accordance, we look forward to have the opportunity to introduce ourselves and programs and to share the benefits that our academy will bring to our children. Some are already extremely critical on the hours and rates without even providing us a chance to share what we are about and what we can offer to our communities children which at the end of day are THE MOST IMPORTANT. As far as rates, as "a mom" put it so eloquently, that is actually not much and are in-line with others for our community and approved by SRS. Just to mention about the previous occupiers running a so-called “day care” at this location, we were horrified at the conditions that the so-called “day care” operated with multiple violations at the same rates and at full capacity. In our situation, we have spend the last 10 months working with the Fire Marshall’s Office, City Inspector, and KDHE in order to correct all of the violations and put together an academy and program that we are extremely proud of and to offer to both the community and our children. As far as hours, as mentioned and pointed out by “a mom” we had considered our options and are open to adjustments in order to fulfill various requirements. We have been in contact with our Board of Education and after meeting us and allowing us to share our program, we were immensely praised for our work and told that finally we have an institution that will prepare our children for the first grade. Please bear in mind that we have an educational program and not just daycare. Some mentioned about the hard times and yes, these are hard times but at the same time, our children are falling behind in comparison to the rest of the world so why not start at a young age in order to better their future. Again, as “a mom” put it, please call or stop by during the Open House or simply call to schedule a walkthrough appointment before criticizing our Academy.
good luck

Wichita, KS

#18 Jan 10, 2011
I wish you the best Sunflower Academy. I know the couple personally responsible for this operation and they are great, hardworking people.
Hmm

Parsons, KS

#19 Jan 10, 2011
My son is 2 and we pay $95 a week at a licensed daycare. With more than one daycare aged child, it is almost pointless to work because you are pretty well working for free by the time you factor in daycare costs.$95 is the full time rate at my daycare, and the part-time rate is $75. Part-time consists of 25 hours or less. I am very fond of the education aspect of the Sunflower Academy. Sounds very appealing, but with the above stated hours, there is just no way that would ever work out for my family. I wish you all at Sunflower Academy the best of luck in your new venture!
Sunflower Academy

Sedan, KS

#20 Jan 10, 2011
Dear "Hmm" and "good luck" thank-you for your kind words and information shared. I have two daughters myself with one at 3 which will also be attending our program and a new infant therefore, I can certainly relate to you about the current economical situation. From the posts here and our conversations on the phone, we certainly see the need to extend our hours and as I have already mentioned, we were and are open to adjustments. I would love for you to come to our Open House or make an appointment and meet us and to provide us the opportunity to elaborate further on our program and I assure you that you will be impressed by our Academy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Independence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last Post Wins (Mar '12) 8 hr Pretty Woman 608
Sign on North Penn RR Tressell 8 hr Frank Crebase 14
Agenda for 05 25 2017 commission meeting. 17 hr ghost town coming 3
Gee, lets have a discussion about the proposed ... Tue Fail 65
Montgomery County employment continues nose dive Tue ghost town coming 6
President Pence's VP appointment Tue Multi Armed Liberal 9
HUGE Thief (Mar '13) Mon toni 74

Independence Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance