Comments
1 - 20 of 61 Comments Last updated Dec 9, 2012
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Question

Hutchinson, KS

#1 Nov 20, 2012
With Hostess taking bankruptcy while fighting the union and now Walmart having unions step in to disrupt Black Friday, should government take a roll to stop them or are unions a good thing? Is Hostess and Walmart in the wrong?
Job

Hutchinson, KS

#2 Nov 20, 2012
They ought to be happy to have a job in this economy.
fritz

Wichita, KS

#3 Nov 20, 2012
Unions used to be good for the people, but they are causing more problems than helping. Unions are history
Dockett

Everett, WA

#4 Nov 21, 2012
Question wrote:
With Hostess taking bankruptcy while fighting the union and now Walmart having unions step in to disrupt Black Friday, should government take a roll to stop them or are unions a good thing? Is Hostess and Walmart in the wrong?
The Judicial branch of government did get involved. The Court told Hostess to go back to the bargaining table and negotiate. This matter is not over yet and Hostess can take no further action until a settlement with the Union is reached. There may be hope for the Twinkies after all! YEA!

Since: Oct 10

Independence, Kansas

#5 Nov 21, 2012
Dockett wrote:
<quoted text>
The Judicial branch of government did get involved. The Court told Hostess to go back to the bargaining table and negotiate. This matter is not over yet and Hostess can take no further action until a settlement with the Union is reached. There may be hope for the Twinkies after all! YEA!
Actually, the bankruptcy judge suggested that the company and the bakers union try mediation, which is not strictly negotiation. If the mediation process fails then the company will be allowed to continue with the liquidation of assets of the business.

Since: Oct 10

Independence, Kansas

#6 Nov 21, 2012
It was announced in this mornings Wall Street Journal that mediation had failed and the company would proceed with liquidation.

I would imagine that the rights and trademarks for your favorite brands of snacks will be on the auction block in the near future.
wtf

Lebo, KS

#7 Nov 21, 2012
now everyone thank their union for closing hostess
wtf ever

United States

#8 Nov 21, 2012
WTF - YOUR CLUELESS DUDE!! Have you ever saw a Union member that received million dollar bonus!? Hell No!!! Why wouldnt the upper big shots take concessions in their benefits? A couple of years ago the Union agreed to concessions to keep Hostess a float, only to be slapped in the face, by management for taking additional bonus, for gettng the Union to agree. Then they came back and ask for more concessions?? I am sorry these hard wrking men, and women are going thru this, but my hats off to each of them for standing up, to the crporate bully......
Kant feel Pietzsche

Wichita, KS

#9 Nov 21, 2012
You might send them that hat. They can give it to one of their kids for Christmas.
Norman

Wichita, KS

#10 Nov 21, 2012
Look at Both Hoffas that family did not get rich by working for it they both father and son were union leaders.There are more that can be named that made there money off the workers that paid dues.Guess what the union leaders still have jobs.
Doubt it

Independence, KS

#11 Nov 21, 2012
wtf ever wrote:
WTF - YOUR CLUELESS DUDE!! Have you ever saw a Union member that received million dollar bonus!? Hell No!!! Why wouldnt the upper big shots take concessions in their benefits? A couple of years ago the Union agreed to concessions to keep Hostess a float, only to be slapped in the face, by management for taking additional bonus, for gettng the Union to agree. Then they came back and ask for more concessions?? I am sorry these hard wrking men, and women are going thru this, but my hats off to each of them for standing up, to the crporate bully......
Yes they did (stand up) and its a good thing cause now they get to stand in an unemployment line!
GOOD JOB UNIONS!!!
Kant feel Pietzsche

Wichita, KS

#12 Nov 21, 2012
Unions negotiate 99 weeks of unemployment for 18,500, film at 11:00....
Norman

Wichita, KS

#13 Nov 21, 2012
And the union will be there with there hands out for dues.
Agree

Roswell, NM

#14 Nov 21, 2012
The union had 8000 people strike now 18000 are out of jobs. No more need be said.
wtf

Lebo, KS

#15 Nov 21, 2012
wtf ever wrote:
like i said 18500 people thank your union for your job opps sorry you dont have a job oh well no jobs for you hostess is closing the doors ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Beaner

Coffeyville, KS

#16 Nov 26, 2012
wtf ever wrote:
I personally aplaud your take on this issue. I have it in mind that all those bagging on the unions should make use of thier prayerful time to thank each and every union member for the sacrifices they have made so that workers both union and non union have better wages and working conditions. It is sad that even in this day and age that many people can not understand those who would put thier jobs and way of life at risk for those not willing to stand up for themselves and others. America's workers, both union and non union are the greatest producers of wealth but unfortunately are viewed as the cheapest thing to replace on any job. As long as greed rules that will be the norm.
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#17 Nov 26, 2012
Beaner wrote:
<quoted text>I personally aplaud your take on this issue. I have it in mind that all those bagging on the unions should make use of thier prayerful time to thank each and every union member for the sacrifices they have made so that workers both union and non union have better wages and working conditions. It is sad that even in this day and age that many people can not understand those who would put thier jobs and way of life at risk for those not willing to stand up for themselves and others. America's workers, both union and non union are the greatest producers of wealth but unfortunately are viewed as the cheapest thing to replace on any job. As long as greed rules that will be the norm.
The fact is it's real hard to see the honor you expect others to view the unions with when all they do anymore is cost jobs and destory companies. Unions force companies to deal with these contracts all the time and then you have strikes and then when the union members really "stand up to corporations" they accomplish really great things don't they.....like with Hostess. Which is better, giving some things up that are usually overpayment and benefits anyway for the work union members actually do with all their union contract deals....OR....the company closing all together and no one getting any benefits or pay anymore, all because you want more? Which is better? A job with maybe not all the benefits you want or the higher pay you want, not for hard work you do and earn but because it's contract negotiation time, or no job at all for any of the workers at the company? Sounds pretty simple for a common sense person, a job that might not give you everything you want, not earn, but negotiate through contracts is still better than no job at all which is what the workers have now. I wonder how smart they think they are now? Gee they stood up to the man and made their point and held out for what they wanted, and now no one has a job. Boy they really showed them didn't they? Especially in this economy with the unemployment rate we have now....yeah it was real smart to hold out for more rather than just keep the job you have so you can pay your bills and put food on the table. You can look for a better job while you still have an income coming in or you can bust your ass and EARN more. No one should have promised you a job with everything you want to start with but that is what the unions do, then they put the company in debt with the unions outragious retirement packages and benefits, go on strike for more, and chase the company out of the country all together, OR the company will relocate to a right to work state where they can afford to do business without being raped by the unions. Oh yeah those unions are real smart!!!
Beaner

Coffeyville, KS

#18 Nov 26, 2012
X Obama Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is it's real hard to see the honor you expect others to view the unions with when all they do anymore is cost jobs and destory companies. Unions force companies to deal with these contracts all the time and then you have strikes and then when the union members really "stand up to corporations" they accomplish really great things don't they.....like with Hostess. Which is better, giving some things up that are usually overpayment and benefits anyway for the work union members actually do with all their union contract deals....OR....the company closing all together and no one getting any benefits or pay anymore, all because you want more? Which is better? A job with maybe not all the benefits you want or the higher pay you want, not for hard work you do and earn but because it's contract negotiation time, or no job at all for any of the workers at the company? Sounds pretty simple for a common sense person, a job that might not give you everything you want, not earn, but negotiate through contracts is still better than no job at all which is what the workers have now. I wonder how smart they think they are now? Gee they stood up to the man and made their point and held out for what they wanted, and now no one has a job. Boy they really showed them didn't they? Especially in this economy with the unemployment rate we have now....yeah it was real smart to hold out for more rather than just keep the job you have so you can pay your bills and put food on the table. You can look for a better job while you still have an income coming in or you can bust your ass and EARN more. No one should have promised you a job with everything you want to start with but that is what the unions do, then they put the company in debt with the unions outragious retirement packages and benefits, go on strike for more, and chase the company out of the country all together, OR the company will relocate to a right to work state where they can afford to do business without being raped by the unions. Oh yeah those unions are real smart!!!
I expected as much from you. Do you even understand what concessions are? I am certainly glad that our founding fathers (The patriots you say you adore when it suits you)never settled for less. Oh, by the way, you omitted the part about union people being communists and unpatriotic. It really chaps your ass to have a black President doesn't it? AGAIN!! Lol
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#19 Nov 26, 2012
Beaner wrote:
<quoted text>I expected as much from you. Do you even understand what concessions are? I am certainly glad that our founding fathers (The patriots you say you adore when it suits you)never settled for less. Oh, by the way, you omitted the part about union people being communists and unpatriotic. It really chaps your ass to have a black President doesn't it? AGAIN!! Lol
What has the race of the president got to do with anything? I will take it that since you have to resort to bringing up the race card in a discussion that has NOTHING to do with either the president or the unions then you must have not had a response to my post.

When did I say I "adore" any of the founding fathers? I'll await your proof of that. I think you have me confused but then from the ending of your post it is obvious you just throw out anything and everything and hope something sticks.

When have I ever said that union people are unpatriotic or communist? Again, you're just throwing crap out there and hoping something sticks. Unfortunate for you that none of it does.

Just so you know.....X Obama Supporter would suggest that I formally supported and even voted for Obama in 08. Now here's the part you need to pay real close attention too ok, I'll type slow....If Obama's race didn't bother me in 08 why would you think it did in 2012? He certainly didn't change races, he's the same race he was in 08, I'm still the same race I was in 08, so to think an X supporter (meaning I did support him at one time) just doesn't like the president because he is black (which by the way is wrong anyway since he is actually mixed) makes YOU the racist you are trying real hard to prove I am. Sorry, that one doesn't stick either. Keep throwing that card out though whenever you don't have a retort and I'm just sure you'll run into another racist like yourself someday.
X Obama Supporter

Coffeyville, KS

#20 Nov 26, 2012
Hey Beaner...I certainly expected as much from you as well!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Independence Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
This quote is essential when it comes to how th... 1 hr Top 40 62
ghost town coming 11 hr Trump 12
KS Who do you favor in the Kansas governor's race? 13 hr The Kangaroo 203
Frankies Dawgs under new direction 14 hr felonindy 12
Nice newspaper articles 15 hr ghost town coming 17
new city commissioner 17 hr woo 64
KS Kansas Voting Disqualification Amendment - Ment... (Oct '10) Sun speaking of pork 269
•••
•••
•••

Independence Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Independence People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Independence News, Events & Info