Christia Jaco

Nashville, TN

#1 Sep 28, 2011
Does anyone know the story behind heads creek road and the two creeks that meet on it? My grandfather built a house way back in the woods and owned at one time like 100 acres . He died when I was three and my new grandfather told us a horrible story about how it got it's name when we were just kids. He said that thier was a woman killed and chopped up into pieces and put in bags and thrown into the creek hence the name heads creek. His house burned to the ground in the 80's when my dad was rehabbing it . I have drivin past where the old house use to be and see a new house there at the bottom of the the hill where our house use to be. Does anyone know if this story is true??? I have done some research but came up with not much. I know this place use to be filled with indians at some point. Any clues would be helpfull. Thanks,
Bob

Fort Worth, TX

#2 Oct 1, 2011
I've heard several stories but you'll have to dig in some historical archives to get the story. I don't know why but there's at least 5 stories that involve a decapitated head....or that someones head from the indian massacre was placed there. It's been a few years but I think it's named after James Head. Not as fun a story but again you'll have to look it up....been a few years. Good luck on your search!
Bob

Fort Worth, TX

#3 Oct 1, 2011
Check this out see the quote below

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry....

In the year 1795, James Head made a settlement on the creek at this point, and gave his name to this tributary of Big River. After living on the farmland he had cultivated, James Head was succeeded by Adam House who lived there two years and then was killed by the Indians. The beautiful springs in the locality were called House's Springs after Adam House's death, and the name was retain when a post office was established there.
Christia Jaco

Nashville, TN

#4 Oct 2, 2011
I saw that information Bob and have red it . It's all I could find on the history but I will keep digging. Thank you
john

Festus, MO

#5 Oct 6, 2011
and mr house would be ashamed of what the area has become and how the community has let the spring to become a trash pit lagoon..
res

High Ridge, MO

#6 Mar 5, 2012
there is also an old family graveyard in the woods across mm from heads creak. don't know the names on the stones, but you might be able to learn something from it.
patricia

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Sep 23, 2012
res wrote:
there is also an old family graveyard in the woods across mm from heads creak. don't know the names on the stones, but you might be able to learn something from it.
the name is mary j. burgess her husband was elias
patricia

Saint Louis, MO

#8 Sep 23, 2012
i am interested in the history also
amish abe

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Sep 26, 2012
the indians that kill the people wanted to borrow a horse to go to town the farmer said no and they came back trru and killed them or was that morse mill i get confused from time to time
Rachel B

Eugene, OR

#10 Dec 26, 2012
amish abe wrote:
the indians that kill the people wanted to borrow a horse to go to town the farmer said no and they came back trru and killed them or was that morse mill i get confused from time to time
That is true. Adam House (which is my great great great grandfather) was the first to settle there, and the story is true
Donna Diamond

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Feb 26, 2013
Would be interested to learn more about you as Adam was my great, great, great, grandfather as well. I use to have the original newspaper article but we are unable to locate it. We must be related. Don House was my Dad, Dallas House was my grandfather. Where do you fit in?
Rachel B wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true. Adam House (which is my great great great grandfather) was the first to settle there, and the story is true
Billy Hill

Cedar Hill, MO

#12 Jun 3, 2013
jim

Festus, MO

#13 Jun 4, 2013
Trash
RedSierra

Imperial, MO

#14 Jan 17, 2015
Now it's called METH Heads Creek!
Rachel B

Coalinga, CA

#16 Feb 19, 2016
Donna Diamond wrote:
Would be interested to learn more about you as Adam was my great, great, great, grandfather as well. I use to have the original newspaper article but we are unable to locate it. We must be related. Don House was my Dad, Dallas House was my grandfather. Where do you fit in?
<quoted text>
I believe Dallas House was my great grandma Iona House's Dad!
mernin

Imperial, MO

#17 Apr 1, 2016
I am also related to Adam House. My maternal grandfather was Thomas House. His sister Myrtle told us years ago that one of my ancestors founded House Springs. My brother in law did some research, and discovered that Adam House was not a very nice man. I really don' t know as much as I wish I did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Imperial Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fox C6 Board of Education : Discussion (Jun '14) 11 hr ruby 1,470
News Which Fireworks Stand Has the Best Deals/Prices? (Jun '09) 14 hr Go 4th 23
Know Missouri Law Regarding Cameras Before You ... (Sep '14) 23 hr Truth 200
Who Are You Voting For Trump or Clinton 23 hr Elderly Clintons 21
Illegal Digging in Missouri (Sep '12) Mon ShesIN The Closet 164
Mehlville Jun 25 la_verdad_esta_en_mi 1
new police officer? (Sep '13) Jun 25 Wow 18
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Imperial Mortgages