Comments
21 - 40 of 41 Comments Last updated Mar 28, 2013
Student

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Mar 20, 2013
 

Judged:

3

1

1

Within Reason wrote:
The school system is broke. Really? Here's why. The only reason we know this is the well has finally gone dry with state funding and the districts having to rely on taxes. Once that happened, the whole bloated sacred cow system was exposed for all to see. Frivilous spending on anything and everything. Payrolls that are top heavy and over staffed. People like Cos are finally having to show where all the money is going and why he is scrambling to merge. It's simple. Money. He and the district have overspent and now they don't have that revenue cash cow anymore. Now they have to account for all tha that spending and why the kids have to either go without or merge.
No, these schools do not suffer from any form of investment. The Mohawk Valley has been forced to confront the fact that the tax base in the individual village districts can no longer support any school district. There has been no wild spending, teacher and administration pay and benefits are below average, your schools are operating on 1990's technology, buildings are in mediocre-poor shape, fewer and fewer classes, fewer and fewer students, and fewer and fewer teachers to address nosediving test scores.

This problem is not limited to your schools. The same thing is occurring in your police departments, your fire departments, etc.
There is too small a remaining population left for you not to start sharing services between villages that are roughly 1-2 miles apart. Schools are not any different.

Keep in mind, this is not a statewide problem. There are plenty of schools in NY doing well. Following Broadalbin-Perth, Pittsford, and Fayetteville-Manlius, now Wheatland-Chili is voting to invest millions in their facilities and even to put in artificial turf for their athletic fields. Check out their teacher salaries, their benefits,their facilities, their "wild" spending. Check out their test scores while you are at it. You might also check into the origin of their hyphenated names.
Within Reason

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Mar 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

USEurHEAD wrote:
<quoted text>
This entire thread is riddled with generalizations. No specific short comings of past or present school districts have been addressed. The rude poster from Little Falls responded to your general remarks and received no answer. The poster then offered a tidbit of school district financial fact and still no real reply. I'm thinking the LF poster isn't the drunk.
But they are the biggest azzhole.
WJC

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Mar 23, 2013
 
It's the economy stupid!
WJC

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Mar 23, 2013
 
I mean, I'm stupid!
Ilion Res

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Mar 24, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Ilion Parent wrote:
Waiting for Superman is a documentary movieon the current state of education. It is out on DVD.
Waiting For Superman was filmed in 2009, so it's already outdated, and it was created as political propaganda in the first place. The woman who was the focus as a savior of education has already left the Washington, D.C. schools, and they are STILL failing their students, so she never did fix anything. This movie was made before the big financial cut backs by the states, and it doesn't cover the horrible new Race To The Top rip off that's in place now. Get used to your children being tested ALL of the time. Whenever you hear Common Core, know that it is Race To The Top.
Within Reason

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Mar 25, 2013
 
Student wrote:
<quoted text>
No, these schools do not suffer from any form of investment. The Mohawk Valley has been forced to confront the fact that the tax base in the individual village districts can no longer support any school district. There has been no wild spending, teacher and administration pay and benefits are below average, your schools are operating on 1990's technology, buildings are in mediocre-poor shape, fewer and fewer classes, fewer and fewer students, and fewer and fewer teachers to address nosediving test scores.
This problem is not limited to your schools. The same thing is occurring in your police departments, your fire departments, etc.
There is too small a remaining population left for you not to start sharing services between villages that are roughly 1-2 miles apart. Schools are not any different.
Keep in mind, this is not a statewide problem. There are plenty of schools in NY doing well. Following Broadalbin-Perth, Pittsford, and Fayetteville-Manlius, now Wheatland-Chili is voting to invest millions in their facilities and even to put in artificial turf for their athletic fields. Check out their teacher salaries, their benefits,their facilities, their "wild" spending. Check out their test scores while you are at it. You might also check into the origin of their hyphenated names.
1990's? Guess you haven't been in the Palace on the Hill in Ilion lately.
dkhead

Little Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Mar 25, 2013
 
Within Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
1990's? Guess you haven't been in the Palace on the Hill in Ilion lately.
And then one time at bandcamp...
DHB

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Mar 25, 2013
 
Within Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
1990's? Guess you haven't been in the Palace on the Hill in Ilion lately.
Hardly a palace and when is the last time you paid taxes in a school outside the valley ?
getitright

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Mar 26, 2013
 
waiting for superman wrote:
"Students first " This is Michelle Rhees way of fixing our broken school system. The current way the schools are functioning is no longer working. If we dont correct the way our children are learning or not what will it matter where they are educated. The merger appears to be a temperary fix to an even bigger problem that is being over looked. We as parents and tax payers need to become educated to the system. We need to learn what our childrens rights are. We need to become educated as to what services our children are entitled to and what the school system should or should not be doing. Many students are being bullied out of school by the very education system that should be providing services to help them stay in school. The school system is broken I am worried about the future of everyone.
Michelle Rhees was chancellor of DC schools who was fired for her radical philosophy of school reform. She schmoozed board members and politicians so that she could hire/fire people at will, firing good employees who did nothing wrong simply to save money. She created a competition between buiildings in the DC schools whereby teachers in "high performing" schools were rewarded with pay bonuses. Guess what? They found out there was a lot of cheating going on and the underperforming schools were actually the honest ones. So cheating gets you a bonus. What a lesson! Her viewpoint: A teacher should spend 100% of their time on schoolwork. As a parent, do you want a school marm teaching your child or someone who has children of their own and has balance in their life teaching your child? She wasn't chancellor for very long.
answer

Newport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Mar 26, 2013
 
it wouldn't be broken if we all pulled together and realized that merger is the solution.
Healthy wealthy and wise

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Mar 26, 2013
 

Judged:

3

answer wrote:
it wouldn't be broken if we all pulled together and realized that merger is the solution.
The merger in and of its self is not the solution, but rather the framework in which a solution can be brokered.
The incentive aid may buy some time, but the education of our children is still working amongst many obstacles.
Spending whether mandated, necessary, or desired can not out pace the economic realities of the State,region, or taxpayers; this is the point that we are currently at.
We must strike a balance and have discipline to stay the course.
Troubled Adult

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Mar 27, 2013
 

Judged:

1

(WKTV)- Schools in the Mohawk Valley can expect to see a significant financial boost from the state budget.

Assemblyman Anthony Brindisi announced that the state budget will
now include an increase of more than $16 Million in education funding to area schools.

The funding breaks down as follows

Utica -$4,573,178

Rome -$1,255,408

Frankfort-Schuyler -$529,919

Holland-Patent -$866,499

Ilion -$3,886,152

New Hartford $658,852

New York Mills -$337,949

Oriskany -$472,437

Sauquoit Valley -$382,635

Sherrill -$754,451

Westmoreland -$507,775

Whitesboro -$1,831,069

ALMOST 4 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!! FOR ILION! A village of 8000 people needs this kind of money to run a school district?
4x what Rome needs and almost as much as Utica?
Are you kidding me? And Cos and the school board will tell us how much in the hole they are? And they need to raise the school tax? So they can continue programs for the kids? BULLSHIT!! This is highway robbery. That idiot needs to go. If they ask for a school tax increase again this year, something is very wrong.
DHB

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Mar 27, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Troubled Adult wrote:
(WKTV)- Schools in the Mohawk Valley can expect to see a significant financial boost from the state budget.
Assemblyman Anthony Brindisi announced that the state budget will
now include an increase of more than $16 Million in education funding to area schools.
The funding breaks down as follows
Utica -$4,573,178
Rome -$1,255,408
Frankfort-Schuyler -$529,919
Holland-Patent -$866,499
Ilion -$3,886,152
New Hartford $658,852
New York Mills -$337,949
Oriskany -$472,437
Sauquoit Valley -$382,635
Sherrill -$754,451
Westmoreland -$507,775
Whitesboro -$1,831,069
ALMOST 4 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!! FOR ILION! A village of 8000 people needs this kind of money to run a school district?
4x what Rome needs and almost as much as Utica?
Are you kidding me? And Cos and the school board will tell us how much in the hole they are? And they need to raise the school tax? So they can continue programs for the kids? BULLSHIT!! This is highway robbery. That idiot needs to go. If they ask for a school tax increase again this year, something is very wrong.
I see Herkimer gets nothing.....
Ilion Voter

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Mar 27, 2013
 
Troubled Adult wrote:
(WKTV)- Schools in the Mohawk Valley can expect to see a significant financial boost from the state budget.
Assemblyman Anthony Brindisi announced that the state budget will
now include an increase of more than $16 Million in education funding to area schools.
The funding breaks down as follows
Utica -$4,573,178
Rome -$1,255,408
Frankfort-Schuyler -$529,919
Holland-Patent -$866,499
Ilion -$3,886,152
New Hartford $658,852
New York Mills -$337,949
Oriskany -$472,437
Sauquoit Valley -$382,635
Sherrill -$754,451
Westmoreland -$507,775
Whitesboro -$1,831,069
The money for Ilion includes the aid they will receive as a result of the merger. If they didn't merge it would have been 1/10th of that amount.
Troubled Adult

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Mar 27, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Ilion Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
The money for Ilion includes the aid they will receive as a result of the merger. If they didn't merge it would have been 1/10th of that amount.
Do you honestly think Ilion and Mohawk need 4 million combined?

OK...10,500 residents then. A 1/10th of Utica's population.

Something still doesn't add up and nobody seems to care.

F*c*king bunch of bleeding heart liberal soccer mom Cos lemmings....
If A then B

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Mar 27, 2013
 
Ilion Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
The money for Ilion includes the aid they will receive as a result of the merger. If they didn't merge it would have been 1/10th of that amount.
If the current expenses are 80+ percent allocated to salaries and benfits,then 80+ percent of this 3.8 million can be expected to continue to be used for these purposes as well.
Progress?
Theory vs reality

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

The voters have spoken and a new Board has been chosen.The candidates seem to evenly represent the feelings and attitudes that have been expressed regarding the Merger.
The real work begins now.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Troubled Adult wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you honestly think Ilion and Mohawk need 4 million combined?
OK...10,500 residents then. A 1/10th of Utica's population.
Something still doesn't add up and nobody seems to care.
F*c*king bunch of bleeding heart liberal soccer mom Cos lemmings....
Too funny...I'll get you a tissue.

A half a mil won't bail out FS and wouldn't do much for HS either.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Now 4mil on the other hand...
counting

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Mar 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

USEurHEAD wrote:
Now 4mil on the other hand...
will be just enough to keep the status quo

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ilion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Remington to lay off 105 workers in NY 4 min Bobkurk 42
Remington layoff today! 1 hr friend 17
Erica on E. Clark 20 hr hereandnow 5
Impeachment of Obama aka barry soetoro (Oct '13) 23 hr ted 308
gas is 337.9 in syracuse ny Wed Reality Check 2
Debate: Ferguson - Ilion, NY Tue Herkimer Haiku 13
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Tue College Professor 6,391

Search the Ilion Forum:
•••
•••
Ilion Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Ilion Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Ilion People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Ilion News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ilion
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••