Ilion school fire 1963
Repub

Syracuse, NY

#265 Oct 18, 2010
Inquiring wrote:
Did this fire happen in what is now the schoolhouse apts? I to am looking for information and keep hitting dead ends. a little help if anyone can or is willing i would really appreciate a point in the right direction.
No, this fire was in the original high school building on Weber Ave.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#266 Oct 23, 2010
I watched from a distance as the school burned. Not being in the area anymore it still is a sad state of affairs that noone followed thru, noone fessed up. I knew one of the firefighters - we were not close, but were acqyaintences. After reading some of these comments perhaps it is best that I moved out of state.
Ilion Grad

United States

#267 Oct 23, 2010
huh in LF wrote:
The high school kids were temporarily at the old Remington Rand typewriter factory till the end of the school year. The Weber Ave school was outfitted for larger students. I started 7th grade in 1965 and we were definately in 1/2 day sessions at that point.
I was a sophomore ay IHS when the fire happened. We went to half-days up until my senior year. Half-days at the elementary school that adjoined the Jr-Sr HS. I don't remember where the little people went to school.
I hear alot of speculation on this subject. It's too bad the crime doesn't seem to have been solved. Burton Seymour was a volunteer hero in the blaze. If any of his kin are reading this, please beleive me when I say; " God bless you."
Noreen Jones' senseless death is a pure tragedy. Her assailant, DiPiazza came up for parole recently and was denied. May he suffer forever after the final judgement.
Ilion Grad

United States

#268 Oct 23, 2010
This may have already been posted. It's a link to the IHS Alumni website and speaks about the fire.
http://ilionalumni.com/fire1.history.html
General Chaos

Syracuse, NY

#269 Oct 25, 2010
Ilion Grad wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a sophomore ay IHS when the fire happened. We went to half-days up until my senior year. Half-days at the elementary school that adjoined the Jr-Sr HS. I don't remember where the little people went to school.
I hear alot of speculation on this subject. It's too bad the crime doesn't seem to have been solved. Burton Seymour was a volunteer hero in the blaze. If any of his kin are reading this, please beleive me when I say; " God bless you."
Noreen Jones' senseless death is a pure tragedy. Her assailant, DiPiazza came up for parole recently and was denied. May he suffer forever after the final judgement.
I was one of the little people in 63. I went half days in the Jr High end. Mornings I think.
someone got it right

United States

#270 Oct 25, 2010
I can tell u all that it was a group of well to do kids that burnt the school.
As a child I can remember my mom telling me that her cousin burnt the school and no one in the family ever talked about it. It was just common knowledge.
Prissy

Syracuse, NY

#271 Oct 28, 2010
Inquiring wrote:
Did this fire happen in what is now the schoolhouse apts? I to am looking for information and keep hitting dead ends. a little help if anyone can or is willing i would really appreciate a point in the right direction.
No, this fire was the old section of the present Ilion High School - Weber Ave, Ilion NY
fire

New York, NY

#272 Nov 14, 2010
I heard DM burned it down to get rid of evidence!!...hmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder?
CBs

AOL

#273 Nov 21, 2010
I WAS 2 YRS OLD AT THE TIME AND HAVE WORK AND LIVED OUT OF AREA 4 YEARS BUT IT IS A NICE PLACE 2 LIVE IF U KNOW PEOPLE IN THE AREA I ALWAYS GOT ALONG WITH EVERYONE AROUND HERE AND HAVE LOTS OF PEOPLE I CAN CALL COOL BUT IT IS A SHAME ON US ALL 4 NOT ASKING ANY QUESTIONS BECAUSE OF FEAR I AM ONLY BRINGING THIS UP 2 PROVE HOW IT IS AROUND HERE I WILL CONTINUE 2 TRY AND HELP THANK YOU 4 YOUR SUPPORT MY LOVE AND PRAYERS GO OUT 2 ALL I WAS A LOCAL CHOIR BOY THAT ALWAYS TURNED THE OTHER CHEEK BECAUSE OF MY LOVE 4 JESUS I HAVE BEEN BAD BUT NEVER GOT IN ANY TROUBLE LOL SO U R RIGHT I AM NO BETTER THAN THEM BUT I NEVER HURT NOONE I HAVE ALWAYS ADMITTED MY WRONG DOINGS JUST DRUNK PUNK KID STUFF BUT LEARNED RESPECT AN HONOR IN MILITARY SO I CAN RELATE ON HOW THINGS CAN GO BAD HAD FRIENDS DIE IN SERVICE FROM DUMB STUFF AN EVEN LOST A LOVED ONE FROM A BAD CAR ACCIDENT BUT i STIIL HAVE FAITH
heard

AOL

#274 Nov 21, 2010
I was there wrote:
My sister and I walked up and watched the fire.It was terrible.From what I remember they had two boys and had questioned them(I wont give their names).And released them.
I heard that guy that killed the jones girl Benny Dipiazio..had something to do with it..big cover up
george

Canastota, NY

#275 Feb 28, 2011
oh ya
expatnyc

New York, NY

#276 Feb 28, 2011
Benny the dip was in jail at the time -'juvie'. on a harrssament beef
Like I said a year ago ... it was Princess Di's brother
CAB

Vernon, NY

#277 Sep 18, 2011
Wow this is a never ending Stroy
yeah and then what

Syracuse, NY

#278 Sep 19, 2011
expatnyc wrote:
Benny the dip was in jail at the time -'juvie'. on a harrssament beef
Like I said a year ago ... it was Princess Di's brother
Charles Spencer???? wtf?
Hey Dog

Oneida, NY

#279 Sep 28, 2011
Gomer wrote:
<quoted text>
CAB, this isn't funny. Someone DIED in that fire. A man that had many wonderful children, relatives and friends. Givers, not takers. And another family that had to watch what a devastating fire can do to you if you live as a fireman. Please put up or shut up. You should be ashamed of yourself if you waited all of these years for technology to rear its ugly head for you to post this here and not have gone to the police if you knew something other than it was a bad accidental fire. I hope you haven't slept since 1963 if it is true that you have information.
I don't know were you live but in Oneida and Herkimer County the last place you go for help is to your local or State Police, that would be like committing suicide. This is a very dirty and corrupt place and its worse now because they have no problem with setting you up and using there own police force to kill you. If you don’t believe me ask anyone about the police shooting and killing the guy who owned the tree service.
Noel

Syracuse, NY

#280 Sep 28, 2011
Hey Dog wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know were you live but in Oneida and Herkimer County the last place you go for help is to your local or State Police, that would be like committing suicide. This is a very dirty and corrupt place and its worse now because they have no problem with setting you up and using there own police force to kill you. If you don’t believe me ask anyone about the police shooting and killing the guy who owned the tree service.
It was a big conspiracy so the police officers could get a stranglehold on the local tree cutting.
Harry

Bethesda, MD

#281 Oct 1, 2011
I did it.
lookwhoshigh

Cortland, NY

#282 Oct 1, 2011
Noel wrote:
<quoted text> It was a big conspiracy so the police officers could get a stranglehold on the local tree cutting.
Your one of the reasons why this county is so corrupt, you turn your head say nothing just like the rest of the little chicken sh_t. Your either ignorant or your part of a big problem.
ace

Harrisville, NY

#283 Nov 11, 2011
The IHS janitor who committed suicide was George Purdon who lived kitty-corner to Edick's which is now Bowman's. He was a good man and had at least 3 kids that attended IHS.
Boomer

Dracut, MA

#284 Nov 12, 2011
I went to school with two of the Purdon sons-really greatg guys.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ilion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
State Champions 19 min Integrity 15
Utica OD Rag Sheet: More Refugees = Less Crime 47 min Integrity 31
Trump is a dangerous imbecile 2 hr Your Voice Matters 326
Stairs Disaster 18 hr Ask the People First 6
Remington Layoff's 19 hr The Liars on the ... 7
Never Cuomo 2018 20 hr Be Prepared 12
kyle frazier (Jan '14) Sat Meee 23

Ilion Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance