Mohawk Man Arrested For Craigslist Co...

Mohawk Man Arrested For Craigslist Contracting Scam

There are 58 comments on the WIBX-AM Whitesboro story from Jan 30, 2013, titled Mohawk Man Arrested For Craigslist Contracting Scam. In it, WIBX-AM Whitesboro reports that:

New Hartford Police say a Mohawk man is under arrest after accepting money for a roofing job he never started.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WIBX-AM Whitesboro.

Listening more

New York, NY

#56 Feb 2, 2013
Bad contractors wrote:
<quoted text> 50% is not a red flag it protects contractors from not losing when you home owner do not what to pay this is why you have a signed contract to protect yourself...
Exactly. Contracts are made to keep the customer honest just as much as the contractor. If you want the job of putting a roof on my house, I'll be damned if I am giving you fify percent up front. You go get the materials on good credit and I'll give you fifty percent when the job is half done.

That way, if you don't complete the job, I'll get someone to finish it and the materials are already there. That keeps YOU contractors honest. If you don't have good credit to get the materials up front with no cash, then I don't want to deal with you. YOU are then the red flag.
Bad contractors

Lowell, MA

#57 Feb 2, 2013
Listening more wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Contracts are made to keep the customer honest just as much as the contractor. If you want the job of putting a roof on my house, I'll be damned if I am giving you fify percent up front. You go get the materials on good credit and I'll give you fifty percent when the job is half done.
That way, if you don't complete the job, I'll get someone to finish it and the materials are already there. That keeps YOU contractors honest. If you don't have good credit to get the materials up front with no cash, then I don't want to deal with you. YOU are then the red flag.
50% is 50% dump ass that means I can strip your roof and thats 1/2 the job done thats 50% down with no roofing and deck there till you give half or I would only do one side thats still half
Kissing cousins

New York, NY

#59 Feb 2, 2013
Bad contractors wrote:
<quoted text> 50% is 50% dump ass that means I can strip your roof and thats 1/2 the job done thats 50% down with no roofing and deck there till you give half or I would only do one side thats still half
I want all the materials there, half of the roof torn off and that half all done before you'll see fifty percent of the contract price. Anything less than all materials on site and fifty percent done is not acceptable to me and therefore, YOU won't get the job. I'll find a reputable contractor that will gladly work with those terms, the operative word being "reputable". Reputable ones will gladly work under the condtions stated above.
Bad contractors

Feeding Hills, MA

#60 Feb 2, 2013
Kissing cousins wrote:
<quoted text>
I want all the materials there, half of the roof torn off and that half all done before you'll see fifty percent of the contract price. Anything less than all materials on site and fifty percent done is not acceptable to me and therefore, YOU won't get the job. I'll find a reputable contractor that will gladly work with those terms, the operative word being "reputable". Reputable ones will gladly work under the condtions stated above.
so you what 90% of the job done so you can screw over the contractor nice
Simple

Feeding Hills, MA

#61 Feb 2, 2013
Maybe the homeowners should just start buying material themselfs and just pay for labor that mean contractors would not need to shop for you or would they need insurance because now the homeowner will be resonable himself ..and make sure you have ladders cuz remenber all your paying for in labor
FYI

New York, NY

#62 Feb 2, 2013
Bad contractors wrote:
<quoted text> 50% is not a red flag it protects contractors from not losing when you home owner do not what to pay this is why you have a signed contract to protect yourself...
50% down is very much so a RED FLAG! You are right though it does protect the contractor, but not the home owner! Very easy for them to walk with half your projects money and say screw you. Don't ever do it!! I know someone who gave his contractor 50% down $18,000 the contractor booked. He finally got the contractor into court. It was a very long process,he won his case and now gets $5.00 a month from that contractor. Do the math!!! As I said, very good contractors don't need your money up front just assurance that the money is there for the project. It's the bad contractors that have the public beliving that it has to be common practice to give money down/upfront. Thats BULL, find a contractor with good credit with his suppliers and you'll have a better chance of having one with integrity.
wow

Boston, MA

#63 Feb 3, 2013
If you hire a contractor that doesn't require 50% down, you are obviously getting charged way too much. The purpose of the 50% down is to purchase the materials for the job. With the way the economy is, if a contractor doesn't require the 50% down he has money left from another job to purchase you're materials. The 50% down also sets for scheduling, so when one job is completed, the contractor can set up onanother one. But you probably don't understand that whole concept because you are incapable of running a business... Dave has been here for 30+ years, and he's not going anywhere. And if you were able to read the article, you would be able to decipher the name your bashing is wrong. Its not Dave dummy.
wow

Boston, MA

#65 Feb 3, 2013
Simple wrote:
Maybe the homeowners should just start buying material themselfs and just pay for labor that mean contractors would not need to shop for you or would they need insurance because now the homeowner will be resonable himself ..and make sure you have ladders cuz remenber all your paying for in labor

Such a great idea, because the old lady your doing the roof for shouldn't have a problem picking up the plywood, shingles and other accessories to get the job done, and thats if they get everything, and enough to do the job. The contractor provides a service to the community that is obviously needed.. thing is, for theprice of a DBA you can start your own contracting business. Look at Art Stanley for example, the guy hasn't a clue of what he's doing, but since he has a truck and a ladderrack, he becomes a contractor. Along with selling appliances, pets, and hotdogs. Do your homework
Simple

Albany, NY

#66 Feb 3, 2013
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Such a great idea, because the old lady your doing the roof for shouldn't have a problem picking up the plywood, shingles and other accessories to get the job done, and thats if they get everything, and enough to do the job. The contractor provides a service to the community that is obviously needed.. thing is, for theprice of a DBA you can start your own contracting business. Look at Art Stanley for example, the guy hasn't a clue of what he's doing, but since he has a truck and a ladderrack, he becomes a contractor. Along with selling appliances, pets, and hotdogs. Do your homework
why homeowners can drive right down to ilion lumber or what every lumber yard order what you need and have it delivered whats so hard about that.now you have what you need for the job and just pay for labor..this well save the contractor money because he will not need a DBA or need insurance ,or pay fica amd things like that.. And who cares about Art Stanley that guy dnt even know what a hammer is ... He is just a guy that worked for Hollerans years a go...
FYI

New York, NY

#69 Feb 4, 2013
wow wrote:
If you hire a contractor that doesn't require 50% down, you are obviously getting charged way too much. The purpose of the 50% down is to purchase the materials for the job. With the way the economy is, if a contractor doesn't require the 50% down he has money left from another job to purchase you're materials. The 50% down also sets for scheduling, so when one job is completed, the contractor can set up onanother one. But you probably don't understand that whole concept because you are incapable of running a business... Dave has been here for 30+ years, and he's not going anywhere. And if you were able to read the article, you would be able to decipher the name your bashing is wrong. Its not Dave dummy.
You couldn't be more full of CRAP. "If a contractor doesn't require 50% down your getting charged way to much." You friggen idiot how stupid do you think we all are? I had 6 different estimates and had the materials list priced out by two different companies. I knew exactly what the material cost was and how much each contractor was figuring for labor. I used this same process for my home,business and barn. Three seperate construction jobs. Stop trying to bullshit the world!! The economy has nothing to do with the HONEST process of doing business. "Money left from another job to purchase your materials" Again stop trying to bullshit everyone,if you had good credit with your suppliers you wouldn't need to take $$$$ out of your own pocket,RED FLAG!!! "Sets up scheduling, set up another job???"RED FLAG!! This is contractor lingo, reads, "so I can screw you!" You don't need our 50% down just pay your bills to your supplier. Stop robbing Peter to pay Paul, RED FLAG!!! I have nothing against anyone mentioned on this thread. Just stop bullshiting people about what they have to do and why. FYI,I have been in business for many years,succesfully.
wow

Lowell, MA

#70 Feb 4, 2013
So obviously you must have had a credit check.. and for that kind of money, you must be just perfect too. So then what happens when the homeowner doesn't pay the contractor, because they have poor credit and in turn ruins their credit?? So ummm..yeah, ok, in a perfect world, post it up!! I'm sure people would love to know a creditable contractor from around here.
here to tell ya

Utica, NY

#71 Feb 4, 2013
while I agree there are some shady contractors, there are also shady homeowners. ANYone in the service industry will back that up. I've been burned by customers as well. We all need to protect ourselves, its not just the homeowners, contractors need to be wary as well.
FYI

New York, NY

#72 Feb 4, 2013
wow wrote:
So obviously you must have had a credit check.. and for that kind of money, you must be just perfect too. So then what happens when the homeowner doesn't pay the contractor, because they have poor credit and in turn ruins their credit?? So ummm..yeah, ok, in a perfect world, post it up!! I'm sure people would love to know a creditable contractor from around here.
If you read my other post, my contractors had a letter of intent from the bank in their hands stating that the fonds were there for the project. Meaning the bank had pre approved us for the loan and the money of $X amount of dollars. So why wouldn't the contractor be paid? As consumers we need to do our homework, as business men/women we also need to do our homework and cover our azz. But, that doesn't mean charging people 50% up front because we can't run our business correctly. There are some good contractors in this area,there are probably more bad ones though unfortunately. Get references,talk to other people,tell your contractor you want to talk to his last few clients. If he wants no part of that it should be telling you something,RED FLAG!!
FYI

New York, NY

#73 Feb 4, 2013
By the way iam in the service industry. I deal with clients everyday.
Ilion

Wilbraham, MA

#74 Feb 5, 2013
FYI wrote:
By the way iam in the service industry. I deal with clients everyday.
if you run a good business post your company name dnt be shy let the public decide if you have a good name .... Lets see
Customer

Syracuse, NY

#75 Feb 5, 2013
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
"wow" you must be Dave's wife.
Ilion

Wilbraham, MA

#76 Feb 5, 2013
Customer wrote:
<quoted text>
no im not daves wife what you dont know math is it to hard for you to figure out what you need to do a roof... Are you that lazy you cant get the material you need for a job ..
Grammar Nazi

Rome, NY

#77 Feb 5, 2013
Ilion wrote:
<quoted text> no im not daves wife what you dont know math is it to hard for you to figure out what you need to do a roof... Are you that lazy you cant get the material you need for a job ..
It looks like it is too hard for you to learn the difference between "to" and "too". Also, are you too lazy to end a question with a quaetion mark? I guess I am just too lazy myself to point out all the other mistakes you have made in your post.
Nazi killer

Albany, NY

#79 Feb 5, 2013
Grammar Nazi wrote:
<quoted text>
It looks like it is too hard for you to learn the difference between "to" and "too". Also, are you too lazy to end a question with a quaetion mark? I guess I am just too lazy myself to point out all the other mistakes you have made in your post.
well thanks for english lesson......
tiny tim

New York, NY

#81 Feb 5, 2013
Customer wrote:
<quoted text>
You all need to understand just one thing....Dave and Darlene are very intelligent people. and that they would never waste their time at a website with a bunch of TARDS . They are probably out working like the sucessful people in the world or planning a vacation.. You all should get a life and stop trying to feel better abouts yours by bashing others.Its time for your medicine now.... LMFAO......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ilion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Http:// thevalleyside.com / busted 5 hr New York Patriot 2
The Biggest AHoles At Remington Arms (Feb '10) 8 hr Remington employee 105
Jill Denicola got a new man 14 hr former friend 2
misappropriation of funds UMWA (Feb '11) 16 hr Sonny 17
CVA School Board 19 hr Parent 4
Welfare low lifes in Ilion 21 hr Courtney 4
Attracting golfers and tourists to Central New ... Thu DEEP THINKER 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ilion Mortgages