Dan Monohan's take on our children

Posted in the Ilion Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
the truth is a bitch

Herkimer, NY

#1 Feb 9, 2013
Dan Monohan on WIBX debate: "I'm sick of people comparing Mohawk and Ilion to New Hartford. That's a completely different
school district with different kids. New Hartford has kids of doctors and lawyers...those kids are going to do better than our kids.
We're never going to be a New Hartford and I'm sick of people thinking they're going to turn our kids into something
they're not" SO, OUR KIDS AREN'T AS SMART AS KIDS FROM NEW HARTFORD???? Are you kidding me?The only thing
keeping our kids from bigger and better things is people like Dan Monohan. If my kid gets the chance, he is every bit as capable
as a kid from New Hartford. I CAN NOT BELIEVE HE SAID THAT!
Grace Osborne

Sanbornville, NH

#2 Feb 10, 2013
Dan, did you really say this?
Dumb

New York, NY

#3 Feb 10, 2013
He sure did!
Teri I sneakaround

Forestport, NY

#5 Feb 10, 2013
When Dan Monohan was on the school board in Mohawk everybody thought he was smart because he was so young. Did he get
into some bad drugs over the years? Because now he sounds like a complete idiot. His facts make no sense and it takes him about 5 minutes to get
the words out of his mouth. Was he injured in a really bad car accident? Didn't it happen in '97 or '98?
kid

Binghamton, NY

#6 Feb 11, 2013
Be real how many doctors came from that 4 famley town called mohawk? Its as bad as dodgeville.
DHB

Herkimer, NY

#7 Feb 11, 2013
the truth is a bitch wrote:
Dan Monohan on WIBX debate: "I'm sick of people comparing Mohawk and Ilion to New Hartford. That's a completely different
school district with different kids. New Hartford has kids of doctors and lawyers...those kids are going to do better than our kids.
We're never going to be a New Hartford and I'm sick of people thinking they're going to turn our kids into something
they're not" SO, OUR KIDS AREN'T AS SMART AS KIDS FROM NEW HARTFORD???? Are you kidding me?The only thing
keeping our kids from bigger and better things is people like Dan Monohan. If my kid gets the chance, he is every bit as capable
as a kid from New Hartford. I CAN NOT BELIEVE HE SAID THAT!
The reality is that your kids are no different than kids 35 minutes away...or even 3-4 hours away for that matter. The opportunities are different, but the kids are not. However, the parents are a very different story. I pay taxes in a district a heluva lot richer than New Hartford 2 hours away. Their parents DEMAND academic performance, they DEMAND sports, music,dance, and art opportunities, and they DEMAND the school be a part of the community and not be closed at 4:00, even on weekends. Their education is on par or better than the teachers and they are more than willing to fund their schools. They do not squabble over teacher's or administrator's pay because with their education, they would never work under those circumstances for that pay or benefits. Their corporate jobs have them very much in tune with what tomorrow's students are going to need and the level of educated competition coming from around the world. They are not afraid of mergers because most of the local schools were merged some time ago and they are reaping the benefits.
GarbageInGarbage Out

New York, NY

#8 Feb 11, 2013
I hate to tell you but IQ is largely genetic and is is the most accurate predictor of academic success. GIGO
right

Walden, NY

#9 Feb 11, 2013
GarbageInGarbageOut wrote:
I hate to tell you but IQ is largely genetic and is is the most accurate predictor of academic success. GIGO
So half day of school and the minimum is fine for our kid. Think dummy.
Some Dude

New York, NY

#10 Feb 11, 2013
His statement lacks eloquence but there is some truth to it. The children of doctors and lawyers are going to have better opportunities. Not because their kids are smarter or better, it's just the simple fact the parents are going to have more money.
Opportunity

Utica, NY

#11 Feb 11, 2013
Our kids should be provided EVERY SINGLE OPPORTUNITY that a student from NH or any other school district is provided! It's called PROGRESS! Progress is a good thing and that is what's been lacking! We have settled for far to long....time to grow. Encourage our young people to GROW! My three children have all graduated from Mohawk and are doing well! I'm proud of the school they went to (did I graduate from there.......no I did not.) Mohawk is a great place to raise a family, but, now we need to provide our young people with a better standard of school not "status quo" like it's been for years! Good luck with the merger.......let's hope progress happens!
graduated

Ilion, NY

#12 Feb 11, 2013
Most asinine statement I've seen yet from someone from Mohawk. Just proves we need to offer our kids
a better education so they don't end up sounding
like idiots as well.
yup

Elmira, NY

#13 Feb 11, 2013
graduated wrote:
Most asinine statement I've seen yet from someone from Mohawk. Just proves we need to offer our kids
a better education so they don't end up sounding
like idiots as well.
Think we could this printed in the telegram? It's accurate.
Fairness

Little Falls, NY

#14 Feb 11, 2013
All the merger money in NY will not give you the same opportunities as the kids in New Hartford have. If you want New Hartford opportunities, then maybe you should move there.
good call

Jordanville, NY

#15 Feb 11, 2013
Fairness wrote:
All the merger money in NY will not give you the same opportunities as the kids in New Hartford have. If you want New Hartford opportunities, then maybe you should move there.
Your right and we shouldn't even try. What a dk.
DHB

Herkimer, NY

#16 Feb 11, 2013
Fairness wrote:
Now there's a typical Herkabilly response !!!! Never done anything outside Exit 29-30 on the Thruway and you want to consign the kids to the same. There is no difference in the kids 30 miles apart, but there sure is a difference in the adults!
To Grace

Ilion, NY

#17 Feb 11, 2013
Dan Monohan did not say that and those silly people are simply trying to put words in his mouth. What Dan was refering to was that if people think that by merging schools and getting money is somehow going to put them on the same level as New Hartford or other wealthy schools like thoses on Long Island or Westchester County then they are misleading you. A combined Ilion/Mohawk would create a larger but still very poor school district that would not be able to sustain the level of spending once the grant money is gone.

I know Dan and his family. His mom and aunts and uncles went to Mohawk and his dad to the catholic school in Ilion. His 4 sisters and 3 brothers went to Mohawk along with his 3 children and most of his nearly 20 nieces and nephews and now his grandchildren. Most all his family lives in the valley and have raised families and worked very hard for what they have and have contributed to their communities and churches.

Dan has worked hard and lived a clean life and if it were not for his politics or the positions he takes then you would not be having a bad word to say about him. He has often and consistently supported equitable school funding so that all students are given opportunities to succeed on the same level playing field.

I give Dan credit for not ever being intimidated by people who have to resort to the low levels that they do.
heisareject

New York, NY

#18 Feb 11, 2013
To Grace wrote:
Dan Monohan did not say that and those silly people are simply trying to put words in his mouth. What Dan was refering to was that if people think that by merging schools and getting money is somehow going to put them on the same level as New Hartford or other wealthy schools like thoses on Long Island or Westchester County then they are misleading you. A combined Ilion/Mohawk would create a larger but still very poor school district that would not be able to sustain the level of spending once the grant money is gone.
I know Dan and his family. His mom and aunts and uncles went to Mohawk and his dad to the catholic school in Ilion. His 4 sisters and 3 brothers went to Mohawk along with his 3 children and most of his nearly 20 nieces and nephews and now his grandchildren. Most all his family lives in the valley and have raised families and worked very hard for what they have and have contributed to their communities and churches.
Dan has worked hard and lived a clean life and if it were not for his politics or the positions he takes then you would not be having a bad word to say about him. He has often and consistently supported equitable school funding so that all students are given opportunities to succeed on the same level playing field.
I give Dan credit for not ever being intimidated by people who have to resort to the low levels that they do.
If Dan Monohan thinks that anyone said we would ever have what NH offers he is delusional-we said we would strive for that-he just tries to twist everything to his advanawge, whatever that is, no one seems to know what his agenda really is unless it is finally to get lori.
our kids not as smart

Warrensburg, NY

#19 Feb 12, 2013
To Grace wrote:
This is exactly what he said ASK HIM!!!

they're not" SO, OUR KIDS AREN'T AS SMART AS KIDS FROM NEW HARTFORD????
just saying

Feeding Hills, MA

#20 Feb 12, 2013
Stupid is what stupid does...
thats dan

Warrensburg, NY

#21 Feb 12, 2013
yes

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ilion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brandy Edmunds 15 hr KARMA 3
Marina opening Sat voss fan 2 6
Renee geloso Fri friendinthepast 1
throw out mohawk mayor May 1 resident 2
Herkimer Cheese gets 50K grant to expand (Jul '14) Apr 29 Ilion Iliad 33
OPT OUT Movement Apr 29 parent 10
Where was Jack? (Oct '14) Apr 29 Just wondering 53
More from around the web

Ilion People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE