Mohawk and Ilion School Boards hope to move forward with two-school merger plans

Oct 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WKTV

The Mohawk and Ilion Boards of Education plan to officially move forward in an effort to merge the two school districts by July.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of95
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Sick of the BS

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Your talking about merging mohawk and ilion and why are talking about herkimer. Can't you just let it go already you lost. Hmm is this the teacher or the administration putting in their 2 cents. Still trying to get that bump in pay having a larger student body.
Sick of the BS

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

grow the hell up and listen to yourselves you are trying to get rid of someone who has a different opinion than your own. She is only one vote. I glad that most of you people think that you know whats best for the community. Sounds like you are the people with the power control problem. Do you people even have kids in schools2077. I am going to sit back and wait for this whole thing to implode on you pro merger people. The only people going to make out in this is the Admin and teachers.
Come On

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

well wrote:
NOT SURE THE NUMBERS ON ILION/MOHAWK BUDGET BUT MOHAWK IS IN A FINANCIAL MESS....ITS NOT UP TO THE BOARD OF EDUCATION TO SPEAK FOR THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY!!!
THE BENEFIT PKG IN ALL SCHOOLS IS WHAT IS KILLING US NOT SPORTS
AND THE VOTE SHOULD TAKE PLACE IN ONE YEAR AND ONE DAY FROM NOW!!!
MOHAWK IF DISBANDED IF THAT IS WHAT THE PPL WANT SHOULD BE SPLIT UP BETWEEN HERKIMER AND ILION SCHOOLS
ONCE AGAIN TIME TO SPEAK OUT PPL DONT LET THE BOE CRAM THIS DECISION DOWN YOUR THROATS THERE ARE OTHER OPTIONS!!
No ones craming anything, people have already voted on this three times and passed with a wide margin. Mohawk doesn't want their kids going to Herkimer. Herkimer people already spoke, basically told Mohawk and Ilion to stick it, so I say leave them on their own. They made that vote.
Nope

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Sick of the BS wrote:
Your talking about merging mohawk and ilion and why are talking about herkimer. Can't you just let it go already you lost. Hmm is this the teacher or the administration putting in their 2 cents. Still trying to get that bump in pay having a larger student body.
Because all 3 districts are f----d the way things are going
no merger voter

Baton Rouge, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
School website states over 60% so they aren't that far off.
I laugh at those who suggest that Herkimer isn't about handouts. Look at how many kids get free lunch and the rates for welfare and other benefits.
The welfare comment was a retaliation to previous comment and I apologize. As far as the teacher comment about taking work home. Most professionals take work home. I work 7 days per week. You want to be treated like a professional act like one.
Actually

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

Come On wrote:
<quoted text>
No ones craming anything, people have already voted on this three times and passed with a wide margin. Mohawk doesn't want their kids going to Herkimer. Herkimer people already spoke, basically told Mohawk and Ilion to stick it, so I say leave them on their own. They made that vote.
There was a 4 way merger vote - that failed

There was a 3 way merger vote - that failed

Now a possible 2 way merger vote -

Different votes for quite different configurations. Nothing has passed.
Nope

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

no merger voter wrote:
<quoted text>
The welfare comment was a retaliation to previous comment and I apologize. As far as the teacher comment about taking work home. Most professionals take work home. I work 7 days per week. You want to be treated like a professional act like one.
Teachers already take a respectable amount of work home. I don't know of a single teacher that doesn't have *something* that they take home and work on each night, be it grading itself, entering them into the grade book, addressing the needs of the multiple classes full of kids in their planning, tutoring, etc.
Sick of the BS

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
Because all 3 districts are f----d the way things are going
is that your technical term for what has happened. I blame the unions for most of this problem. I see what happens the salaries of the teachers are a large majority of the budget. I have no problem with paying hardworking educators who teach students what they need to know. My problems are people who became teachers just because they get summers off. They don' t teach kids what they need to know to pass these regents that are mandated. I wonder why a majority of the graduates don't return to the area and raise families. I have had conversations with colleges about my kids going there and they have told us these AP courses that everyone is talking about as being a perk to a merger. They don't look at that as much as. I think that Boston University would not lie to us.
Nope

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Judged:

Sick of the BS wrote:
<quoted text>
is that your technical term for what has happened. I blame the unions for most of this problem. I see what happens the salaries of the teachers are a large majority of the budget. I have no problem with paying hardworking educators who teach students what they need to know. My problems are people who became teachers just because they get summers off. They don' t teach kids what they need to know to pass these regents that are mandated. I wonder why a majority of the graduates don't return to the area and raise families. I have had conversations with colleges about my kids going there and they have told us these AP courses that everyone is talking about as being a perk to a merger. They don't look at that as much as. I think that Boston University would not lie to us.
As I said in the other thread your sights are set on the wrong target. Most businesses have similar percentages of their budget for salary and benefit expense. It's really not that outrageous. I hate to tell you but with the hoops teachers are now being made to jump through the ones that did it for benefits and summers off are heading for the hills.

Part of the reason why kids are doing so poorly is that education is not valued in our community. When you have parents with the great aspiration of living on welfare and making a few bucks as a temp at Remington Arms do you think their kids are on the path to success? Teachers have to teach to the lowest since tracking was eliminated and you are seeing the fruits of that. I think you need to seriously sit down and look at the education mandates because I think you'd be shocked.

Of course many colleges don't care about AP exams. They're in the education BUSINESS, unlike Elementary, Middle, and High School. They want students to pay them tuition and learn the exact same material that they covered in the AP exam. Of course I still think AP classes are good even if the student ops out of taking the exam because it's designed to at least post some challenge, something most of their others classes painfully lack.
Hopeful

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Actually wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a 4 way merger vote - that failed
There was a 3 way merger vote - that failed
Now a possible 2 way merger vote -
Different votes for quite different configurations. Nothing has passed.
It passed in Ilion and Mohawk all three times!
Hopeful

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

no merger voter wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe Ilion and Mohawk are more used to accepting government handouts (welfare) and Herkimer realizes that a government handout for the next 14 years isn't a solution it's a postponement of the inevitable. The Mohawk Valley has been in decline for 40 years so stop pretending we suddenly went broke. The problem is the same people that sat on the merger committees are the same people that said yes for 20 - 30 years and got us in to this situation. Now that they can't simply ask the taxpayer (actually 50% that pay taxes) to pay more they come up with a solution to accept more government welfare. At some point in time people will have to say "no" Herkimer decided now is as good a time as any, someone should have said it years ago. How many tax increases have the schools asked for over the past 40 years? How many of those expenditures were necessary? How many got voted down?
You are very wrong about the merger committee memebers. The CAC members were all volunteers from each community who wanted to get information and to be able to discuss this entire process. Many of them came into the process not in favor of merging and many changed their minds after the dismal picture that is before our communities. People conitnue to lump the CAC in with this "evil entitiy" this "us against them" mentality and it could not be further from the truth. Anything one of the committee members spoke about were facts as presented to them, they had notihing to gain and nothing to lose, other than two years of their lives working on a process that was supposed to bring the communites together, and it only divided them further.
too funny

Little Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Sick of the BS wrote:
<quoted text>
Without the resources for success we're dumping about 30% of your kids back into the community without a diploma. State aid depends on income and property value. A kid with a brain goes to college, sees what's out there and runs. Can't blame 'em.

I'm impressed you noticed the salaries of the teachers are a large majority of the budget. What did you think was the majority of the budget...car parts???
stop the BS

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

I wouldn't have a problem with the teachers salaries if they all earned the money they are getting. If you are making 40 to 80 thousand dollars a year you should be able to help the kids. Most kids are turned off to things if they don't feel valued and when they don't understand something it should be explained. They should not made to feel dumb or that they cannot raise there hand. I don't how many times in the last 2 to 3 years my kids have come home to do home work and I hear the teacher didn't explain something or didn't help them to understand something. That is my problem they are teachers. They have had to time to talk to kids telling them how dumb their parents are in class or asking how people voted. That is valuable learning time. So wave your magical wand and put school together with problems and expect it to get better. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. nobody would be changing jobs or leaving the problem will only get bigger. Good Luck Residents of Mohawk and Ilion hopefully you sit back and make up your own minds and not get swayed by the passions of a few who think they know whats best for everyone.
Yup

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Judged:

stop the BS wrote:
I wouldn't have a problem with the teachers salaries if they all earned the money they are getting. If you are making 40 to 80 thousand dollars a year you should be able to help the kids. Most kids are turned off to things if they don't feel valued and when they don't understand something it should be explained. They should not made to feel dumb or that they cannot raise there hand. I don't how many times in the last 2 to 3 years my kids have come home to do home work and I hear the teacher didn't explain something or didn't help them to understand something. That is my problem they are teachers. They have had to time to talk to kids telling them how dumb their parents are in class or asking how people voted. That is valuable learning time. So wave your magical wand and put school together with problems and expect it to get better. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. nobody would be changing jobs or leaving the problem will only get bigger. Good Luck Residents of Mohawk and Ilion hopefully you sit back and make up your own minds and not get swayed by the passions of a few who think they know whats best for everyone.
Maybe your kids need to pay attention better or should ask the teachers. Perhaps you should look into a tutor. My sister had one for math and it helped a lot. Look at which teachers are supposedly doing this. The district has scared off the good ones and cuts aren't going to help it. Maybe you should see who left and maybe email them and as WHY.

Hate to tell you but the merging would have addressed this through the teacher evaluations and moving staff around.
no merger voter

Brewerton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Hopeful wrote:
<quoted text>
You are very wrong about the merger committee memebers. The CAC members were all volunteers from each community who wanted to get information and to be able to discuss this entire process. Many of them came into the process not in favor of merging and many changed their minds after the dismal picture that is before our communities. People conitnue to lump the CAC in with this "evil entitiy" this "us against them" mentality and it could not be further from the truth. Anything one of the committee members spoke about were facts as presented to them, they had notihing to gain and nothing to lose, other than two years of their lives working on a process that was supposed to bring the communites together, and it only divided them further.
What was the process involved for volunteering? Was it open to the community? I would have volunteered. Were they truly volunteers or were they hand selected by the BOE? Harold Stoffolano, Mike Carney, Melody Couchman etc. did not have any personal interest in the outcome of the merger? You are very naive.
Teacher

Mohawk, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

It was meant to include people from all viewpoints-- school employees included.
The spin room

Ilion, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Here We Go wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not my job to come up with a solution or an alternative. The state wants us to believe that the merger is the only way out. When did the people of this country lose their ability to think and fend for themselves. This country was started by people who bucked the system. Too many of you are too willing to just bend over for government.
But here are a few ideas anyway....Since you can't think for yourself.
- Charge admission to sporting events
- Have teachers and administrators take a couple of years off from a pay raise
- Have teachers and administrators contribute more to their health benefits
- Require that the teachers' union abide by the evaluation rules that will give us MILLIONS is grants
- Bring in qualified educators that are willing to work for a little less than the educators who are currently failing our kids
- Loosen your wallet and pay an additional $100 or $200 in taxes per year
- Charter schools
All of these are viable. None have been looked at or studied or presented as alternatives. Or we could just bend over....
Teachers wont come hear to work for less, unions and contracts wont agree to less and stay here for the residents they want to grow also, Charter schools are more costly than public and the merger was a better idea, try again.
Onward

Fayetteville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Judged:

Hopeful wrote:
<quoted text>
It passed in Ilion and Mohawk all three times!
If it comes up for a vote again it will pass with a larger margin, I've talked to people who are in favor of a Mohawk-Ilion Merger who didn't want to merge with Herkimer.
Agreed

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

The spin room wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachers wont come hear to work for less, unions and contracts wont agree to less and stay here for the residents they want to grow also, Charter schools are more costly than public and the merger was a better idea, try again.
Like I said, it's not my job to come up with alternatives. I'm offering suggestions and I knew the naysayer lemmings who don't have the ability to think independently would shoot those ideas down. What you're ignoring is that all of those people work for us.

There are plenty of unemployed teachers who would be happy to come here and work for less than what we're paying our failing teachers now. But if you want to keep paying teachers who are failing our kids, who refuse to forego a pay raise, who refuse to contribute to their healthcare and who refuse to be evaluated according to state requirements that would bring us grant money, I'm not going to try to change your mind. Your ignorance speaks for itself.

Anyone else care to chime in? Anybody else have ideas aside from a state-mandated merger? Or is everyone happy being led by politicians who are more interested in keeping the money in their own high-income communities than they are in spreading it out to rural areas? Apparently they and their kids are more important than we and ours. I say enough with the bullshit...but people like 'the spin room' are happy being spoon fed more and more. Bon apetit!
ole timer

Northville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Agreed- You have some great suggestions, but you
don't tell how to implement them. How do you get
rid of the "failing teachers" so that you can
replace them with "unemployed teachers who would
work for less"? You will have to use the new
"teacher evaluations" which, by the way, Herkimer
has submitted to the state. Using this new system
it will take you a minimum of three years and
possibly a lot of money to get rid of any of
these "failing teachers". So you're stuck with
them for a while. Also, I believe the Herkimer
teachers already contribute to their healthcare
and have given up a pay raise. Remember, until
you change the teachers' contracts, the new
teachers coming in will get the same pay. So
it's time to bite the bullet. Live with a 2%
tax increase, cut sports and other programs
which are not mandated, and teach just the
basics. P.S. If you lived in a "high-income"
community, wouldn't you want to keep the money
there also. Tell me you would spread it to the
poor rural communities. That's real B.S. P.P.S.
One area I do think Herkimer could save money
is they seem to be "top-heavy" with the number
of administrators they have for such a small
school. Other than that, I have no other
suggestions.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of95
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Ilion Forum right now

Search the Ilion Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
what CVA teacher is on leave? 8 hr Think now 24
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 14 hr MacDaddyobama 6,274
Colonail manor 19 hr Big Daddy 4
voss at marina (Jul '13) 20 hr voss fan 13
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Tue none 6,182
Ilion Mayor Answers Critics Tue Sitting Bull 1
Remington not for discussion at Herkimer County... Apr 14 pretend to be smart 13
•••

Flood Warning for Herkimer County was issued at April 16 at 10:45PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Ilion Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Ilion People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE